Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory torn between GB and Ireland for Rio Games

+2
Davie
LadyPutt
6 posters

Go down

Rory torn between GB and Ireland for Rio Games Empty Rory torn between GB and Ireland for Rio Games

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:34 am

Rory McIlroy has hinted he may not play at all in the next Olympics because he is torn between playing for Team GB or Ireland and doesn't want to offend anyone by choosing one or the other. The reveltation comes in a BBC interview tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20896990
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Rory torn between GB and Ireland for Rio Games Empty Re: Rory torn between GB and Ireland for Rio Games

Post by Davie Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:43 am

Oh dear - where is s_r when we need him!

My thoughts are that he is from NI and therefore should represent Team GB - should he even be eligible for Eire?

Of course he may have done a TW by then....
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Rory torn between GB and Ireland for Rio Games Empty Re: Rory torn between GB and Ireland for Rio Games

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:04 am

Is there really any need for Rory to be getting involved in a debate about this at the moment? It is four years away after all, surely it is a discussion that could have been side-stepped.

I will watch the documentary tonight with interest, however this kind of comment just reinforces my view that whilst Rory was at the front of the queue when they were handing out golfing ability, he was somewhere near the back when they were handing out intelligence.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:10 am

Just checking - is the programme on BBC 1 NI or BBC 1 GB? Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:37 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Just checking - is the programme on BBC 1 NI or BBC 1 GB? Innocent

Ha, Cheers Blue - wondered why I couldn't find it in the listings! Will try and remember to tune in via Sky.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:56 am

Had me fooled for a bit as well! Rory torn between GB and Ireland for Rio Games 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm with BC on this one because he should never have even mentioned it right now. All he's done is shoot himself in the foot whichever way he goes, and his management team should have sorted him.

It clearly shows his political leanings, and will not endear himself to half the people in his own backyard and perplex the majority in this country now too.

Rory can you please just concentrate on your game, hair and controlling your trouser snake. Even better why don't you get US citizenship and play for them ... Evil or Very Mad
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:18 pm

He's right to put it out there.

He's only trying to explain his predicament. Born in NI, played for Ireland youth, played in Walker Cup for GB&I.

Simple way to resolve this; is to let him play as an Independent with no flag. There were several athletes in London, participating under "No Flag".
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Yeah that will piss EVERYONE off Wink
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Sorry folks - it was obviously BBC NI! I looked for it as well and couldn't find it. Hopefully BBC GB will show it at a later date.

Just watched it on iPlayer (it's quiet at work!) so if you can access it, it's worth a look.

Last edited by LadyPutt on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update.)
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 pm

I'm with Davie on your suggestion Setup, surely that would just alienate everybody!

I watched the documentary last night on BBC NI (nice weather girl on just beforehand!) and my advice to little Rory would be simply this. Don't let Miss Wozniacki wear high heels when you are out together!!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:25 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:I watched the documentary last night on BBC NI (nice weather girl on just beforehand!) and my advice to little Rory would be simply this. Don't let Miss Wozniacki wear high heels when you are out together!!
Laughing I thought that. too.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:49 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:I'm with Davie on your suggestion Setup, surely that would just alienate everybody!

Surely we all want to see the best player in the world in the Olympics.

& if the only way for Rory to play is to play under "No Flag", this would be good for the sport.

We can't let our petty nationalistic views stop the great one playing...
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Ha! just seen BetVictor are offering 33/1 on Rory representing Denmark in 2016!

Currently 2/1 Team GB and 4/1 Ireland
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Lets say 4 golfers represent each country:

Team GB: Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood, Luke Donald, Justin Rose.

Team Ireland : Paddy, Rory, GMac, Shane.

If Rory plays for Ireland.
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Why wouldn't Gmac turn out for GB? or is he also thinking about defecting
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Just putting forward a scenario.

This way more British/Irish players get to play.
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:39 am

Why doesn't he follow Barry McGuigan's lead.

Barry boxed for Norn Ireland in the Commonwealth games, boxed for Ireland in the Olympics.

Hailing from Mongahan, he also had a good understanding of the turbulent political situation at the time in the North, but when he would fight in Belfast, both sides would turn out to lend their support.

He would wear a dove of peace on his shorts, never wore any colours which showed an allegiance, he fought under the United Nations flag of peace, and his father would sing Danny Boy instead of any anthem. He campaigned against sectarian violence from both sides, and his slogan was “leave the fighting to Barry”.

It can be resolved.
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down