Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rory moving to Nike?

+8
LondonJonnyO
smithersjones
gwr-golfer
Doc
LadyPutt
BlueCoverman
super_realist
Mary_S
12 posters

Go down

Rory moving to Nike? Empty Rory moving to Nike?

Post by Mary_S Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:55 pm

Rumours seem to be gathering apace that Rory McIlroy will be joining Tiger in the Nike stable before too long. I guess they've just saved a lot of money in ditching Armstrong, so could throw a lot of cash his way - £156 million over 10 years is being suggested.

So - would it be a big gamble to move away from his trusted Titliest, which haven't done too badly for him so far? Or, with the technology available now, will Nike be able to re-create exactly the same clubs for him with the Swoosh brand?

If Nike get Rory and Tiger playing their clubs, will they then dominate the market, or aren't we so easily fooled? Wink

Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Rory moving to Nike? Empty Re: Rory moving to Nike?

Post by super_realist Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:09 pm

It's being going on the other side for a wee bit, my opinion is that Nike are old news and no longer a creditable force in golf. Boring products.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Tiger lives in a stable?...is he hung like a horse? Rory moving to Nike? 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:25 am

Another bad move by his new management team (who couldn't even ensure he got to the course on time for the Ryder Cup). He should take a look at GMac who moved from Callaway to Srixon (same management!) and has hardly been able to string two rounds together since.

If he's happy with the Titleist clubs, why change? It can't be because he needs the money!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:57 am

LadyPutt wrote:Another bad move by his new management team (who couldn't even ensure he got to the course on time for the Ryder Cup). He should take a look at GMac who moved from Callaway to Srixon (same management!) and has hardly been able to string two rounds together since.

If he's happy with the Titleist clubs, why change? It can't be because he needs the money!

I'm with LP on this and I suggested on here last year that he was due to go over to swush then, but it obviously got delayed. The major movers this time last season were supposed to be Rory to Nike, Fowler was off as well and it sems the big blockage in the chain was tiger who was supposed to be going to Adams. Just maybe Tiger has decided to move this time? Rory's management company have made GMac a very wealthy man, but his game has gone backwards since changing bats. Rory has been very well supported throughout his short career, as lee Westwood was at that age, but the difference is that lee has stayed loyal to a brand that gave him support and allowed him to set up his academy schools etc. Big difference between team chubster and Rory's new management, is that the chubbettes are still using the same endorsements that they've had for years, and they're all moderately successful players earning a few quid. Loyalty counts for something amongst some of the players
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:04 am

LadyPutt wrote:Another bad move by his new management team (who couldn't even ensure he got to the course on time for the Ryder Cup).

I thought that was Caroline's fault? Rory moving to Nike? 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by gwr-golfer Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:15 am

What everyone is forgetting that he will still be playing Titleist irons - same as Tiger has always done

gwr-golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Rory, who isn't denying the rumours, is reported in my newspaper today saying: "I leave it up to Conor to sort out so I can concentrate on my golf". So he doesn't want to have a say in what clubs he's playing? He's not concerned that they might not suit him? How very naive of him. Of course his manager is going to go for the best financial deal - he's getting a cut of it!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:34 pm

Does Woods use Titleist irons?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:41 pm

No, he did for the first few years but now uses the Nike clubs he helped design.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:42 am

smithersjones wrote:No, he did for the first few years but now uses the Nike clubs he helped design.

The difference is that his clubs are forged at Miura or Endo, so not quite your average Nike bats Rory moving to Nike? 1927768590
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:40 pm

I doubt Woods designed much of the club at all. He's not an engineer or metalurgist. I imagine his input was purely cosmetic.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:59 pm

smithersjones wrote:No, he did for the first few years but now uses the Nike clubs he helped design.

He should have designed them a bit softer, he wouldn't have had such a big bump on his head! Rory moving to Nike? 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:He should have designed them a bit softer, he wouldn't have had such a big bump on his head! Rory moving to Nike? 3461234324
Rory moving to Nike? 2534633747
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 am

From my understanding he had a fair amount of input, and always has into his clubs even at Titleist. But they have always been miura forged to the best of my knowledge.

Also I still think that the best iron nike has made is the original blade. Classic, simple and very elegant.

Plus they work!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:22 pm

super_realist wrote:I doubt Woods designed much of the club at all. He's not an engineer or metalurgist. I imagine his input was purely cosmetic.

I bet he had a huge input to get exactly what he wanted, eg sole design, firmness off the face, weighting, top line size and shape. I don't think anyone is claiming he was at the forge pouring molten steel into a pot.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Previous response from Tom Sites, head of product creation at Nike, re the rumours that Tiger's clubs are Miura forged irons:-

"I’ve heard that for a number of years now and I welcome the chance to respond to it. Never in the past, not now, not ever, will any of the Nike irons that Tiger plays be forged Miura products, that’s a fact. What has created some of this confusion is, prior to my joining Nike Golf, that I actually did consulting design work for Mr. Miura.

So he was one of my clients during my independent phase and he’s a wonderful gentleman. He makes an incredibly good product and we helped him develop some things for the North American market and developed that relationship. Some people have taken that and kind of embellished and exaggerated it to think that we might actually be using his product or his clubs for Tiger and any of our Tour professionals.

That’s just not the case. We built some base rough forgings at the Cornell Company in Chicago originally. From those blank forgings, we had a machine to build out Tiger’s prototypes and other clubs since the beginning of Nike Golf. Ever since then we’ve taken those to a production headquarters I worked with when I was back at the Hogan company and we’ve gone down a unique and individual path to market for all the Nike products that did not include Mr. Miura.

I wish him well but there’s just simply no truth to the fact that Nike products have been manufactured by or indeed been created in any part of Mr. Miura’s iron lab."

Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Nice spot Mary Rory moving to Nike? 1927768590
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:21 am

Mary_S wrote:Previous response from Tom Sites, head of product creation at Nike, re the rumours that Tiger's clubs are Miura forged irons:-

"I’ve heard that for a number of years now and I welcome the chance to respond to it. Never in the past, not now, not ever, will any of the Nike irons that Tiger plays be forged Miura products, that’s a fact. What has created some of this confusion is, prior to my joining Nike Golf, that I actually did consulting design work for Mr. Miura.

So he was one of my clients during my independent phase and he’s a wonderful gentleman. He makes an incredibly good product and we helped him develop some things for the North American market and developed that relationship. Some people have taken that and kind of embellished and exaggerated it to think that we might actually be using his product or his clubs for Tiger and any of our Tour professionals.

That’s just not the case. We built some base rough forgings at the Cornell Company in Chicago originally. From those blank forgings, we had a machine to build out Tiger’s prototypes and other clubs since the beginning of Nike Golf. Ever since then we’ve taken those to a production headquarters I worked with when I was back at the Hogan company and we’ve gone down a unique and individual path to market for all the Nike products that did not include Mr. Miura.

I wish him well but there’s just simply no truth to the fact that Nike products have been manufactured by or indeed been created in any part of Mr. Miura’s iron lab."

So glad you posted that Mary. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever for a company like Nike to get a few clubs forged by one, presumably expensive company in order to provide tour players with a high quality product only to then get the clubs they actually sell made by an inferior company. Just because Joe Public can't try Tigers irons and compare them to the off the shelf offering, that doesn't mean they'd not know if they were being palmed off with an inferior product. Yet everyone on here knows a club fitter who knows a tour pro who knows another tour pro whose clubs were designed by Titleist, forged by Miura but had Nike stamped on them. Rory moving to Nike? 1505004552

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:54 am

Hope you don't mind but I've re-posted that on the other side.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:35 am

hmmm... so the rumours from nike are clearly more nonsense.

That said there are a lot more about the titleist irons he helped to design. (681 T stamps)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:19 am

$200 to $250 million over 10 years from Nike - not a bad deal. Innocent
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:01 am

LadyPutt wrote:Another bad move by his new management team (who couldn't even ensure he got to the course on time for the Ryder Cup). He should take a look at GMac who moved from Callaway to Srixon (same management!) and has hardly been able to string two rounds together since.

Why is this a bad move? Why should he stay with Titleist? The argument if it ain't broke don't fix it is a pretty thin one in my book. If that held true then the best players would still be using hickory shafts. Rory changes his gear from time to time like every player, I doubt the brand of the equipment makes that much difference to him.

I remember a player who used Titleist clubs as a kid... won his first major playing Titleist clubs, kept with the brand for a few more years before switching to Nike. Oh and he won 14 majors... hardly a bad move for Tiger Woods was it?
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:16 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

Why is this a bad move? Why should he stay with Titleist? The argument if it ain't broke don't fix it is a pretty thin one in my book. If that held true then the best players would still be using hickory shafts. Rory changes his gear from time to time like every player, I doubt the brand of the equipment makes that much difference to him.

I remember a player who used Titleist clubs as a kid... won his first major playing Titleist clubs, kept with the brand for a few more years before switching to Nike. Oh and he won 14 majors... hardly a bad move for Tiger Woods was it?

Did he have Titleist in the bag for the 1st major? I know he used a cobra driver and a scotty putter... but I also thought his irons were mizuno at that point.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:47 am

I see that Rory says he hasn't signed for Nike (or anybody else), and we will hear news in a few weeks.

Anybody care to throw Srixon into the mix??
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:23 am

I see that Oakley are sueing McIlroy for breach of contract, as when they tried to invoke their "right of first refusal" to match the Nike deal, Rory and his agent ignored the offer. Apparently Oakley had already spent $300,000 on a photoshoot for merchandise which Rory was expected to endorse in 2013.

His management group are saying that there is no foundation to the lawsuit.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 am

If there is any reasonable claim, Nike will pay our without complaint. It will be interesting to see if this affects the McIlroy PR love-in though
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 am

The Jumeirah Group has "jointly agreed" to bring their sponsporship with Rory to an end. Any others that need to be dumped before this Nike deal will be finally announced? Rolling Eyes
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:49 am

Has it been announced yet who is sponsoring the box that he needs to stand on when he is out with Caroline? Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:49 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2NCDYjHtEcU

£150m not a bad endorsement, but Tiger is the better actor by a mile
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:06 am

And he's still saying it's not about the money ....... If he's got a squillion or two to spare, I could do with it. Wink
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 am

LadyPutt wrote:If he's happy with the Titleist clubs, why change?

Perhaps he fancied spending the weekend with Caroline, rather than on the golf course? Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 am

Perhaps he's playing with the new Nike wanchor clubs, guaranteed to send you slipping below the cut line and towards the bottom of the leaderboard.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:59 am

They said he was using the new Nike "Covert" driver - so named because it hits the ball where no one can see it!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:01 am

Can't believe you picked him in the fantasy league Grumps... Rory moving to Nike? 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:04 am

I had my reservations over the new clubs but he's supposed to be the best player in the world and everytime I've chosen someone over him LPRPitis strikes. It's all your fault anyway Blue, you burst my bubble last time out and I've not recovered yet.

Last edited by 1GrumpyGolfer on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a bit)

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:09 am

Well if you will pick half my team Grumps, what do you expect? Rory moving to Nike? 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 am

But only one turned out to be a bad pick.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 am

Davie wrote:They said he was using the new Nike "Covert" driver - so named because it hits the ball where no one can see it!

Unlike Tiger who was using a driver that couldn't even reach the fairway! Rory moving to Nike? 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:19 am

Rather than practising with his new clubs, he's just posted a photo of the view of the Alps from his hotel room with Caroline on Facebook.

Anyone else thinks he needs to get his priorities right? Sadly I am finding it difficult to support him any more. I know he's a young lad with oodles of cash, but he's not being a very good role model. He needs to remember where he came from and the sacrifices his parents made to get him there. I wonder what they think of it all? Don't see his Dad at so many tournaments now.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:50 am

Didn't everybody say stuff like that last year when he missed a few cuts? He came back pretty well from that, let's wait and see if he does so again.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:19 am

I'm with LP on this one. I really wanted to take to him but as things go on (various incidents including ill-advised tweets, stupid comments in pressers etc) I'm just finding it harder and harder to warm to him

Ideal situation would be for Luke to find his form again from two years ago - he has been a perfect professional apart from one bad tweet that was meant to be private but he f***ed up. Justin is another
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Luke posted an interesting piece of Facebook, stating how happy he was with Mizuno and would never change his club supplier. A dig at Rory perhaps?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:54 pm

I saw an interesting piece of information, in a comment on a BBC article of all things, about Seve's equipment early on. Apparently he would play with different clubs based upon where he was playing; Mizuno in Japan, Slazenger in the UK, Sounder in the US and Titleist elsewhere. Don't know how true that is but sounds like the kind of deals players could be forced into.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:12 am

Perhaps that might explain why he could only hit it sideways towards the end of his career!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:25 am

He was probably playing the wrong clubs for each course!

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:55 am

World number 1 and 2 Rory and Tiger, both Nike players. The young fella trying to emulate the senior partner? Not the way he's carrying on off the course. Tiger had his problems later in life, but to get to where he wanted to be, he concentrated and gave 100% focus to his job. He built up an aura of invincibility, because of the dedication and single mindedness. Rory needs to do the same if he wants to be as great a player, otherwise he may find himself being known as the player who had everything and threw it away.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:10 am

Caroline just been spotted with a huge diamond on her finger apparently ilu
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:56 am

Not the first time apparently - wasn't it seen over Christmas too? I remember it being discussed at the time that the traditional 4th finger left hand wasn't necessarily the same in Denmark
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:40 pm

unfortunately for mcilroy he's a wee nyaff. not much he can do about it either unless he has a personality transplant. did anyone see his ex on come dine with me? shameful.
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum