Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mobile phones at this year's Open Championship

+9
Mercurio
Mary_S
oldshanker
diggers
LadyPutt
super_realist
BlueCoverman
MustPuttBetter
Davie
13 posters

Go down

Mobile phones at this year's Open Championship Empty Mobile phones at this year's Open Championship

Post by Davie Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:23 pm

The twittersphere going into meltdown this morning over the news that the publc are going to be allowed mobile phones at this year's Open!

Not sure I can see what the fuss is about myself as long as it is properly marshalled. I can remember being disappointed last year when I went to Wentworth for the BMW and thanks to all the dire warnings on the tickets, I left my phone locked in the car. Once inside it was apparent that there had been no searching and confiscation of phones and many people had them. Wasn't bothered that I couldn't use the phone but would have liked to use web access to keep in touch with scoring etc (and other things going on that day)

Naturally no one wants mobiles ringing all over the place but as long as it is properly patrolled it's really a non-issue - despite the 100s of phones I saw at Wentworth I didn't hear a single one go off - as long as they are on silent, what's the problem?
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Mobile phones at this year's Open Championship Empty Re: Mobile phones at this year's Open Championship

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Agreed Davie
I don't see why ayone would want to go to the Open and spend the whole time on their phone so put it on silent and use to check the scores. Where's the harm in that.

Oddly i usually smuggle my phone into the Open but i went to St George's last year and security was the most strict it's ever been. Had towalk back to the car to drop my phone off. The cheek!

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Mobile phones at this year's Open Championship Empty Re: Mobile phones at this year's Open Championship

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Agree with the amount of security at St George's last year MPB, although rather oddly I then saw a number of people using them without being challenged
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 am

Some people just can't do without their phones. I laugh when I see people out for a run with a phone attached to their ear. Just leave it at home for an hour for heavens sake

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:38 am

super_realist wrote:Some people just can't do without their phones. I laugh when I see people out for a run with a phone attached to their ear. Just leave it at home for an hour for heavens sake
My thoughts exactly. There will always be some moron who uses their phone to take a photo on someone's backswing so leave the bloody thing at home! If you can't, then stay at home with it and play to your heart's content and let other people enjoy the golf in peace. No matter how many marshals there are, they won't be able to control things.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:44 am

I agree that there will indeed always be that moron, but that guy's a moron whether he has his mobile phone or not.
That moron can be a moron with his camera or his radio or his mouth for goodness sake. I don't see what the phone has to do with it

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:47 am

LadyPutt wrote:
super_realist wrote:Some people just can't do without their phones. I laugh when I see people out for a run with a phone attached to their ear. Just leave it at home for an hour for heavens sake
My thoughts exactly. There will always be some moron who uses their phone to take a photo on someone's backswing so leave the bloody thing at home! If you can't, then stay at home with it and play to your heart's content and let other people enjoy the golf in peace. No matter how many marshals there are, they won't be able to control things.

I dont really agree....no suprise there. A mobile is really useful, people do need to check their mail and texts, its part of how the world has changed. Its all very well saying that you shouldnt have to but some people do, life isnt like it was 10 years ago, we are in contact 24 hours and clients can expect it. And really if someone checks their texts or email when a phone is on silent it doesnt have any effect on anyone else in the world. If it bugs you then look away.
As for the fact one person may take a picture, well yeah they might, one person might also start talking to their mate, are we meant to gag every single person that enters the event ?
You may a lot of money to go to these things as a customer and should be treated accordingly IMO.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:14 am

Diggers I totally disagree that people NEED to check mails and text. If you do, then you probably shouldn't be taking the day off as work is clearly more important.
I do agree that checkiny can be done surreptitiously though.
Mobile use doesn't reallly bother me as long as its discreet and doesn't bother anyone, its just a bit sad that people think the need an umbilical link to their phone. How many truly important call does anyone have to make in a day that cant wait. We used to manage just fine, people should just put an out of office on, after all its a day off.

However, I'd much rather the authorites banned the wearing of golf gear for spectators. They look ridiculous.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:21 am

The thing is SR.....you can do both!!! You can keep in touch with work and enjoy the golf, the two things dont have to be mutuially exclusive. I run my own small business and it is important for me to see whats going on, pretty much every day 7 days a week 365 days a year. Will the world stop turning I dont...no...but can I keep my clients happier by doing so with minimum effort on my part....yes.
As I said before its utterly pointless comparing todays life to 10 years ago, 10 years ago I couldnt use my phone to remote onto a server to fix it, now I can. Times change.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:31 am

I can see how it might be useful diggers, I just think the vast majority of people exaggerate or overplay how important their phones are to them, and the cry of an infringement on their rights etc is a pretty sad state. Surely their Facebook profile can wait to be updated.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:34 am

I think you guys are maybe saying the same thing - in a different way.

I too get annoyed by the people that super describes, but I fully understand and agree with what diggers is saying

It's the people that get into a lift at work and immediately call someone in a loud voice when they are just moments away from their desk - or wander through the car park with a phone glued to their ear oblivious to their surroundings.

Phones HAVE become important and I'd have no problem with someone using them discreetly at a golf event - it's the bad eggs as usual that spoil it for everyone else

The day at Wentworth I talked about I'd have liked to use my phone to keep up with scores when I wasn't within sight of a scoreboard - or possibly to check up on football scores etc.
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:38 am

Davie wrote:I think you guys are maybe saying the same thing

Davie, you have said some things that have annoyed me in the past...but come on. This is disgraceful, you are bang out of order.... Wink

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:39 am

Twisted Evil
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:02 am

As an old fogie, it has taken me some time to get used to mobile phones and peoples desire to use them at every opportunity. I even saw a number of people taking out their phones during the interval at the stage production of Warhorse recently.

However, I have now come to terms with it and realise it is the way that communication has dramatically altered in the past 10 years and is now the way of the world.

As long as no bells ring and no lights flash and no 'dork' shouts out 'I'M AT THE OPEN'! Then I can't see any problems with them.

In fact, they could be very handy to shove in the fat gob of GEDINTHEHOLE man! Innocent
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:27 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Agree with the amount of security at St George's last year MPB, although rather oddly I then saw a number of people using them without being challenged

Players are given a certain number of stickers for members of their "entourage" to put on their mobiles, so that they have exemption from the ban. Might be an explanation?

I agree that if people are sensible then it shouldn't be a problem.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:01 am

Yes Mary that sounds like a reasonable explanation thanks.

I guess that also means that you are never in danger of missing one of David's calls? Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Davie - the people who really annoy me are those who get off a train and immediately either have to start texting someone, or read a message. They immediately slow down and then get annoyed when I bump into them! Mobile phones at this year's Open Championship 398825057

I agree with S-R - there is absolutely no need to be welded to your phone 24-7. We may have moved on (if that's what you call it) in the last 10 years, but phone use can be restricted to emergencies only. I have 2 phones - one personal, one for work, and only use them occasionally. I also only make and receive calls (and occasionally text messages) but don't use them for anything else. And I would NEVER take or use them at a public event such as a golf tournament or the theatre.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:08 pm

There are lots of things there are no need for or to do.

Live and let live.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:10 pm

If anyone wants to change their ringtone to Mambo No. 5 I'll call them just as Tiger tees off.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:22 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
I agree with S-R - there is absolutely no need to be welded to your phone 24-7. We may have moved on (if that's what you call it) in the last 10 years, but phone use can be restricted to emergencies only. I have 2 phones - one personal, one for work, and only use them occasionally. I also only make and receive calls (and occasionally text messages) but don't use them for anything else. And I would NEVER take or use them at a public event such as a golf tournament or the theatre.

LP, because you have no need to be welded to your phone, it doesn't mean that the same applies to other people. Diggers' example of running a small business is a perfect illustration, and I can think of many ocasions when people I know give out their mobile to customers. It's part of providing a great customer service... if I had sold you a mars bar from a corner shop I might not offer you a 24/7 customer helpline, but if I rented you a sunday boat cruise surely you would expect to have someone you could contact over the weekend?
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:31 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:If anyone wants to change their ringtone to Mambo No. 5 I'll call them just as Tiger tees off.
:lol!:

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:56 am

I actually hate making a call in public. I'll never answer or make a call when I'm on a train/bus/lift etc.
Can't stand it when people are on them whilst making a transaction with another person. Downright rude.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:22 am

Never mind calls, how are they going to stop people using the camera function on their phones?

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:35 am

There is no shutter noice on a smartphone SJ, its all digital, well not unless you have the setting on to create a fake shutter noise. So the players should be oblivious to it anyway.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:37 am

They were not able to stop it at last years L.A. Open were they Venice! Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:44 am

The question is why golfer need absolute silence.
I'm sure some look for crowd noise as an excuse.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:49 am

diggers wrote:There is no shutter noice on a smartphone SJ, its all digital, well not unless you have the setting on to create a fake shutter noise. So the players should be oblivious to it anyway.

I think a lot of camera phones have the fake digital shutter sound whether you want it or not! Even if the phone is set to silent. I think the idea is to stop perverts taking candid photos of unsuspecting people.

I know my Blackberry makes the shutter sound even with the phone is set to silent
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 am

Davie wrote:
diggers wrote:There is no shutter noice on a smartphone SJ, its all digital, well not unless you have the setting on to create a fake shutter noise. So the players should be oblivious to it anyway.

I think a lot of camera phones have the fake digital shutter sound whether you want it or not! Even if the phone is set to silent. I think the idea is to stop perverts taking candid photos of unsuspecting people.

I know my Blackberry makes the shutter sound even with the phone is set to silent

I am pretty sure that this was an issue on the metro in Japan, where it was very common problem where perverts were taking photo's up women's skirts. I think the manufacturers were forced to ensure there was an audible notification that a photo was being taken. This was a while ago when camera phones were new... not sure it is such an issue now they are so widespread and everyone is aware of what is going on
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47 am

Thanks Diggers, I am aware of the technology. The point is that, sound or not, they're saying that they don't want people to take photos or video. Calls will apparently be allowed in certain places only, but no photography anywhere.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:36 pm

smithersjones wrote:Thanks Diggers, I am aware of the technology. The point is that, sound or not, they're saying that they don't want people to take photos or video. Calls will apparently be allowed in certain places only, but no photography anywhere.
How on earth are they going to monitor that???
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:20 pm

I think they are going to allow use of phones in certain areas only eg hospitality tents, or away from the action.

I'm sure that people pulling their phone out next to the tee will be frowned upon, whether they are using it to make a call, take a photo, or check the scores.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:25 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
smithersjones wrote:Thanks Diggers, I am aware of the technology. The point is that, sound or not, they're saying that they don't want people to take photos or video. Calls will apparently be allowed in certain places only, but no photography anywhere.

That's what I asked in the first place, before the whole 'noises off' bit. Seems so me they're saying it in order to keep the professional photographers from moaning, safe in the knowledge they won't actually be able to do anything to prevent it.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:47 pm

smithersjones wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:

That's what I asked in the first place, before the whole 'noises off' bit. Seems so me they're saying it in order to keep the professional photographers from moaning, safe in the knowledge they won't actually be able to do anything to prevent it.
And how are they going to monitor calls only "in certain places only"? People are scattered all over the course and won't wait until they get to a designated area before they use their phone. It's a recipe for disaster.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:12 am

How do they monitor people being quiet during shots , can't see a difference, it's really not they hard. And quite frankly they should lighten up on the whole taking pictures thing anyway.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Was thinking of some other reasons having your smartphone would be beneficial. Getting an hour by hour weather forecast, keeping track of live scoring and tweets of whats going on around the course. And obviously being able to contact friends inside the venue to arrange to meet if you get lost or want to wander off to particular holes.
And of course if it does happen to tank down and you want to sit down and do some work, or browse the web or read a book from your phone, or play a game to kill some time.....you can.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Sounds as though you are well and truly welded to your phone, Diggers. Have you developed a prehensile thumb yet?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Just pointing out that phones are very useful devices LP, its just how you go about using them. I actually hardly ever talk on the phone, cant stand it, put I can communicate quickly with anyone, browse through pics or vids of my lovely family, play a game etc etc. I have games and vids my eldest can watch to keep her happy in restaurants...and therefore other customers happy...so I have no issues with them at all.
The same as anything in life you have to be considerate, much like say driving a car.... its all about how you use it:lol:

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down