Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your Club Championship format?

+5
LadyPutt
BlueCoverman
Davie
Mary_S
Mercurio
9 posters

Go down

What is your Club Championship format? Empty What is your Club Championship format?

Post by Mercurio Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am

After a discussion with fellow members about our championship yesterday, I thought I'd do a little research into how other clubs determine their champion golfer.

No. of days?

Qualifiers?

Matchplay?
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

What is your Club Championship format? Empty Re: What is your Club Championship format?

Post by Mary_S Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:24 am

Strokeplay over 2 days. I think that there used to be a cut after day one, but not so many entries now, so everybody plays on both days. (This is the Men's Club Championship - not the Ladies)
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

What is your Club Championship format? Empty Re: What is your Club Championship format?

Post by Davie Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Ours is 54 holes over two consequetive days - cut after 18 holes on Saturday then 36 on the Sunday

No qualifiers but if it is over-subscribed, priority is given to lower handicaps
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:46 pm

36 holes strokeplay over the weekend. No qualifiers or cut.

Two courses at my club so a round on each. Order of play on the Sunday is according to Saturday's results, so the leaders go out last.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:06 pm

The club I used to belong to originally had 36 holes strokeplay over one day (for the ladies), then it was changed to 36 holes over two days (actually 4 days because of having to accommodate the weekend [working] members) because most members were too old to be able to play 36 holes in a day and now the club champion is deemed to be the winner of the singles knockout, which I think has diminished the whole thing. Is there any wonder I am no longer a member????
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:40 pm

18 holes medal play on each of two consecutive days (Sat & Sun). Makes for interesting scores on occassions. Last year for example the Saturday was hot and the ground was hard, all the scores were low. Saturday night it hammered down and continued all day Sunday. It was wet and the ground was soft. All the scores were high and i think 1 over gross won it in the end when the winning score is usually under par.
I shot level handicap on day 1 and 7 over handicap on day 2!

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:04 pm

Is there a handicap competition run in conjunction with the scratch MPB?
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Ours combines the scratch championship with a handicap championship
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Blue, yes - same as Davie. The lowest gross score is the club champ but there is a trophy for the best net score too

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:29 pm

Ours is a mixture of strokeplay and matchplay over back to back weekends. The first weekend is the 36 hole qualifier to determine who plays in the championship matches and then A flight and so on. The same thing happens for the seniors and ladies.

The following weekend the top 4 play off against each other to determine the finalists for Sunday. The championship flight matches are the only ones who play from the back tees. This weekend is all scratch matchplay. There are occasions when the ladies or seniors don't play the semifinal matches depending upon the number of entrants.

Last edited by 1GrumpyGolfer on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to mention 36 holes for qualifier)

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:24 am

Ours is 54 holes over three consecutive days. Cut after 36 holes. Then 18 on Sunday.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:30 pm

Ours is also strokeplay / matchplay combination over successive weekends.

Qualifying consists of 18 hole scratch strokeplay then moves into matchplay with last 16 and quarterfinals. Following weekend is semi-final and then the final is over 36 holes.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down