Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friggin Weather

+6
LadyPutt
Davie
Mary_S
1GrumpyGolfer
BlueCoverman
Doc
10 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Friggin Weather - Page 2 Empty Friggin Weather

Post by Doc Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Played a charity event on Saturday in brilliant sunshine, but the front 9 greens were closed so had to play on temporary greens. All this because we had a frost overnight, and it was hardly anything. Our course has always been all year around, including greens until last winter, but because the course has had deluge after deluge this summer, and the water table right to the top, the merest hint of cold and the greens are closed.

I imagine many of our courses are going to struggle this winter with closures, simply because they haven't had the time to dry out this year. So all you lucky guys and gals who have well drained sand based tracks will probably escape, but the rest of us are in for some garbage.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Friggin Weather - Page 2 Empty Re: Friggin Weather

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:37 am

Mary_S wrote:Got to feel for those people who have been flooded several times already.

Absolutely Mary. 2 strikes and your out as far as getting Insurance cover is concerned as well...
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:47 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:
Mary_S wrote:Got to feel for those people who have been flooded several times already.

Absolutely Mary. 2 strikes and your out as far as getting Insurance cover is concerned as well...

I'm beginning to think that insurance is like being in a pension scheme, as we take it out but only to make 3rd parties rich. Once they decide they're not making the level of margin they want, they decide to put it up. Nothing so fair as paying into something for many years, only to find it obsolete and your cash diminished. We need insurance for a rainy day ...... just to cover the risk, just in case your golf ball breaks a window or damages a car or hits someone ...... So wonder how much I've paid over the years in golf insurance and not claimed .... never made a claim on my car or house or contents, but the costs spiral every year until its like paying a mortgage (Especially life cover if you want enough to pay off your mortgage) Financial services are great aren't they. Cross Fingers
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:50 pm

So based on the mighty Col U being called off today I'm guessing you didn't play yesterday Blue.

We have more snow expected to arrive at lunchtime and it's pictured in every daily summary graphic this week. At this rate I'll think I will have forgotten how to swing a club by the time I get to play next year.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:14 am

Pisshing down here again today so tomorrow looking a bit doubtful - though the club website is saying the course is open today with only 3 temps and 4 "forward" tees so who knows.

It is supposed to stop raining soon and be mostly dry overnight so not given up hope yet!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:27 am

I've been trying to get out and play for more than a week now. I managed to get some sneaky time off work but I have to go back on Wednesday. Only chances look like tomorrow (maybe) and Tuesday but it's started bloody raining again and the course is already saturated.

But as Mary says, we could have been one of those unfortunate people who had their Christmas completely ruined by floods so I suppose not being able to get out and play golf is just an imbuggerance. tongue

Not looking forward to the prospect of trying to get to work if we have any snow. Could be the time to leave the work PC connected and "work from home"!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:50 am

No we did play yesterday Grumps. Although Waldringfield is only 40 miles up the road from me the Suffolk courses drain so much better as they are on sandy soil. Speaking to one of the greenkeepers yesterday and he said that even after a torrential downpour within 3 hours the course is pretty dry.

Having said that they were protecting some of the greens yesterday and we were on 5 temporarys. I made a mess of two of the par 3's with double bogeys on each for blobs, but otherwise played pretty steady for 32 points and won nearest the pin on the 18th.

My home course is closed until a further inspection on Monday, what with that and Col U being called off I've got a bit of a blank weekend. At least we are not suffering with loads of snow like you Grumps! Well not yet anyway, I think as LadyPutt has just mentioned we have got some forecast before too long!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:35 am

Snowing pretty heavily now, but there's a full day of football to keep me entertained and away from chores.

Sounds like a nice way to finish the round Blue. Were you the only one to hit the green on 18 Wink

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:46 am

Two of us actually! Razz
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:48 am

Still counts Blue. I've been over 60 feet away and still won a nearest the pin Friggin Weather - Page 2 3461234324

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:03 am

Did you get your 4? Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:05 am

Not that time, left a nice tap in Razz

Ive won with 3 feet something and then had a par putt of something Friggin Weather - Page 2 2975105902

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:45 am

Forgot to say that Jason Dozzell who played for Ipswich, Spurs and finished his career at Col U was playing behind us yesterday. It was a bit slow in front so had the chance for a bit of a chat whilst waiting on the tee a couple of times
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Diversity is the name of the game at our club now, as the pro is giving swimming lessons and investing in a few rowing boats for getting players over to the new island greens.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 pm

It must be a bit of a worry for the golf clubs with membership fees coming up for payment fairly shortly. With the courses suffering in such wet conditions and less golf being played I would imagine that even more people will be tempted not to renew when the invoice drops on the doormat.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 pm

More rain today (though not as much as originally forecast, for us anyway) then supposed to be getting drier finally! Probably means it will get colder again too but rather that than rain!

I'm supposed to be playing a greensomes comp on Saturday and Foursomes winter knockout on Sunday so hoping it dries up quickly!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:51 pm

Just a slight change of topic but vaguely related (and didn't want to start another thread)....

With play being limited over the Christmas period even though I had time off work, I was starting to go stir crazy and really missing my usual games so I decided to check out computer golf. Nowhere near a replacement for the real thing of course but I found a site that claims to be the best free golf game on the internet and it really is very good fun (www.wgt.com)

Allows for practice games on your own at a variety of courses, but also play in tournaments and against other people in real time. The one thing I have found beneficial to "the real thing" is helping with course management - not taking on silly shots, planning how to play difficult holes with least risk etc

Anyone else tried them?
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:27 am

Have we all got some snow then? Started snowing a couple of hours ago here in Essex and looking very white and wintry now. Oh deep joy! Friggin Weather - Page 2 2872799019
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:48 am

Good use of the snowman smilie Blue! We have had some unseasonally high temperatures so our snow is melting. Most of it has gone except where there were huge piles of the stuff from shovelling and what have you. It does mean everything is a bit grey, wet and miserable; we've had lots of fog and mist due to the moisture in the air for about a week now.

Won't be long before you're back on the main course unless the snow will delay the work schedule.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:47 am

We had about an inch this morning - didn't last long.

Throughout the day we've had more falling but it's been very wet stuff and hasn't been settling.

Just got home now and the temperature in the car was showing 4C so unless it gets worse we may not even get a freeze tonight (or maybe just around 0C) - at 5pm tonight it was a very clear sky and I feared we were in for a really cold one but at the moment that isn't developing

I've been working so no chance of even trying for a game but the members' website showed the course open today (even with early morning snow) but on 18 temp greens
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Hammered down twice yesterday, so the course was closed yet again, as there's no chance of the conditions drying out. Even after a straight 5-days last week it was still squidgy in places and no run to be had. -5 this morning and the wife was due to go out, but after checking its closed again.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03 pm

Well I had a few small patches of snow left over before last night's snow fall added another 4 inches of the stuff. Friggin Weather - Page 2 2872799019 It's still snowing as I left for work and it is supposed to move over to frozen rain which will make things interesting. No golf on the horizon anytime soon for me. Sad

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:28 am

On the plus side at least that leaves you a bit more time for extra research, if you want to stay perched at the top of the fantasy league table Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:38 am

I think I've peaked too soon in the fantasy league Blue! The crappy weather will give me no excuse to not finish some chores on the honey-do list: replace the listello tile in the bathroom, regrout the shower, replace and add more shelving to our dressing room. Good job I have a long weekend.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 am

You know you can get blokes to do all that nonsense for you Grumps... Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Slight snow forecast for tonight then more tomorrow (as is most of the country I believe) - and it's meant to be our captain's drive-in on Sunday! Will be lucky to get it played by the looks of things.

A few tiny snowflakes just starting now and it's not even supposed to start until tonight!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Bright sunshine here in central London at the moment but prospects don't sound too good for golf at the weekend. I never understand why some clubs have their drive-in in January - it's either Rain Cloud or Friggin Weather - Page 2 2872799019 . I think I'll be working from home tomorrow .....
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:57 pm

looks like another week without golf for me, as the course has been closed 3 days and with snow forecast for Friday and Saturday ...... Never mind I'm off to pick up a puppy on Sunday, and no that's not a euphemism Razz
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 am

Aaaahhh -what sort? I mean breed.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:37 am

Looks like no golf for me this weekend either, the snow from earlier in the week has not yet cleared from the grass and with the forecast a game is looking increasingly unlikely.

On the plus side it is fathers-in-law 75th birthday on Saturday, so I will be able to properly join in with the 'celebrations' without having to worry about getting up early on Sunday for golf! cheers

BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 am

Every cloud has a silver lining eh Blue? We ended up with about 4 inches of snow yesterday but with low temperatures expected and a number of single digit days this snowfall could be around for some time.

There's a golf exhibition on this weekend but I'm not going as I don't want to get all excited and have nowhere to play for a while.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 am

Take my advice and head for the golf exhibition Grumps, its either that or getting stuck into all those chores... affraid
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:08 am

Getting the chores done means brownie points with the missus but she's going to pay for it when I start banging and crashing about early on Saturday Friggin Weather - Page 2 3461234324

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:27 am

LadyPutt wrote:Aaaahhh -what sort? I mean breed.

Border Collie bitch, to be named Saltman ....... sorry Lulu Laughing
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 am

Are we all snowed in yet then? Friggin Weather - Page 2 2872799019
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:29 am

I left work early (most had already left) - taken me an hour to get home when it's usually 15 minutes. Not THAT bad though - maybe 3-4" on gardens but less on the road. Roads not as clear as I would expect though considering we were told it was all "in hand" this time around
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:42 am

always amusing to see how you southerners deal with a few flakes of snow. leaving work at lunch time for 3 inches of snow Rolling Eyes Friggin Weather - Page 2 3461234324

no snow yet up here (not near the coast anyway) and looking forward to my game tomorrow providing there isn't any overnight cheers
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:50 am

Scarpa:

Para 1: Once we had two feet of snow overnight and much to my chagrin it was off to work the next day with minimal delay.

Para 2: Seeing as my next game of golf is likely, hopefully, in mid to late March, and I mean this with all due respect: pee off Friggin Weather - Page 2 3461234324

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:54 am

GOLF, GOLF GOLF GOLF, GOLF, GOLF GOLF GOLF, etc. etc.

(i'll try and spare you a thought when i'm teeing it up) Friggin Weather - Page 2 70282223
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:26 am

scarpa wrote:always amusing to see how you southerners deal with a few flakes of snow. leaving work at lunch time for 3 inches of snow Rolling Eyes Friggin Weather - Page 2 3461234324

I'll have you know I'm a Northerner!! I'm just a missionary down here Wink

Agree with you though, it is pretty pathetic how things grind to a halt. I'd happily have stayed all day but didn't fancy a 15 minute journey home turning into 4 hours
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:41 am

Davie wrote:I'll have you know I'm a Northerner!! I'm just a missionary down here Wink
Friggin Weather - Page 2 3461234324
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:01 am

scarpa wrote:GOLF, GOLF GOLF GOLF, GOLF, GOLF GOLF GOLF, etc. etc.

(i'll try and spare you a thought when i'm teeing it up) Friggin Weather - Page 2 70282223

You be careful you don't have a bad round Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:38 am

BlueCoverman wrote:
scarpa wrote:GOLF, GOLF GOLF GOLF, GOLF, GOLF GOLF GOLF, etc. etc.

You be careful you don't have a bad round Wink

It's not hit 'em long and straight, what is it, oh yes, hope you hit 'em short and crooked Friggin Weather - Page 2 3461234324 Hope you enjoy it out there Scarpa

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:26 am

Thank goodness for common sense - my club already postponed Captain's Drive-In for Sunday. Takes all the doubt out of it - it was never going to happen but I expect to see it postponed at 7am on Sunday morning!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:49 am

Yes agreed Davie, we were supposed to be playing Daily Mail foursomes on Sunday but email issued tonight advising of postponement
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:22 am

guess i deserved it... snow... a couple of inches since dinner and no sign of it stopping. looks like we'll be building a Friggin Weather - Page 2 2872799019 but no golf tomorrow ...unless its completely missed the coast Cross Fingers clutching at straws perhaps
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:18 am

Hopefully it won't last too long for you guys and gals and you get back out on the course soon. Start of a long spell for me where the weather isn't going to come up above freezing point anytime soon.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:53 am

Hello fellow forum members, not wanting to rub it in but have arrived today in Mauritius for 2 weeks of sun and golf. Just took a quick trip to our residents course, Heritige Awali and have to say the course is in A1 shape and looks amazing. I round a day gratis is nice and practice facilities are also top notch. Lucky to get here though after 3 hour delay for snow and an aircraft de-ice at Heathrow yesterday. Hope the weather improves back home soon so that you guys and gals can get out for a game soon. I'll post a report of course later in week invade any of you are thinking of heading out this way.

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:03 am

Sounds great Matelot. Hope you have a great time, play well.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:20 am

Have a good couple of weeks Matelot, sounds fantastic.

Heard only good things about Mauritius, would be interested in reading your comments and views about your trip. We were looking at Mauritius for a possible holiday destination in 2012 before parents ill-health caused a change of plan.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 am

Cheers blue, cheers Grumps. Got on the course for the first time this morning. Having played the courses around dubai, Abu dhabi and turkey over the last few years I have to say this is right up there with them. Beautifully manicured course with greens cut prior to first tee (0650). Nice welcome, got range/wRm up balls free today whilst pro was given lesson in bays alongside. Very profeessionally done. Grass bays move each day with markers moved accordingly at every 50 metres, right out 300 metre mark. Approx15 grass bays available. Nice welcome on first tee with pins moved daily and updated pin sheet attached to cards. Once you give handicaps they advise which to tees to play from, but no hard and fast rules. I played off whites which equated to a little under 7000 yds. Overall a quality championship track and generous fairways to enable you to open your shoulders. Bunkering is all well played requiring you to think and hit a mix of 3 wood and drivers off the tees. Good mix of par 3 from 150 to 200 yds in length off the whites. 5 tee system in use overall, red- ladies, green- seniors, blue- mid to high handicap men, whites championship and finally yellow/golds pro tees. Once you get to the 7th green it's a liittle bit like like looking out over the Ryder cup 2010 course at Celtic manor for those that have played/ know it. Unfortunately had a tropical storm hit is on 12th tee so had to abandon for the day. Was around the 4 over mark dispite hit ting a fat into the bushes off the tee on a two hundred yard par 3 7th. Reloaded, 4 iron to 7 ft and made a 4!! 5 th a great risk/ reward driveable par for around 300 yd mark but had a ravine left to gobble up some balls. 9 th also possible with great drive but water lurking around both sides.
Initiall impressions of the course is great. Heritge awali hotel gets 5 stars for location. Great beach, idyllic setting and only 500 m from clubhouse with transport every 5 mins. Premium drinks in hotel also gets 5 stars as does the accommodation which is in a traditional fashion yet has a massive room and a bath that you can easily get both in!!! Only slight reservation so far is the food. Generally fine but not 5 star standard if you are used to the gourmet feast your get at a 5 star in turkey , Dubai etc.. I'll post again once I've played all 18. Luckily I'm sitting posting this in a bar at 2245 and it's still Round 27/28' . One last thing, humidity is not that punishing so very comfortable to golf in. Laters people, there's beers to be drunk!!!
E

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next