Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Weather

+9
1GrumpyGolfer
LadyPutt
smithersjones
Davie
Mary_S
BlueCoverman
LondonJonnyO
scarpa
Doc
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

UK Weather Empty UK Weather

Post by Doc Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Having struggled to get any meaninful golf in since October, and even before that we had a real bad summer, and now we're into spring and still seeing courses closed. I was wondering if this lack of golf, or decent conditions will hold back the UK based new pro's and amateurs who may be representing us in internationals etc. Good players need to play and practice to try and improve, but if they are only hitting balls on the range, or trying to practice in gloop, they will have to go abroad to get any meaningful practice in. 2011 was a very bad winter, followed by no summer in 2012 so soggy conditions for many throughout the year, most courses closed in any year on record, followed by another bad winter in 2012/13.

Are we at a disadvantage for players trying to progress through into the lesser pro comp's. Have decent am's been held back, or are you not where you thought you would be, in your own game?
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

UK Weather Empty Re: UK Weather

Post by scarpa Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:38 pm

poor doc UK Weather 3247107148 UK Weather 3461234324
bad weather hasn't kept me away from the course over the winter. yes we've had a couple of weekend closures for snow, and the course has been in a pretty soggy state when open, but if you just want to get out for a brisk walk and keep a swing going over the winter there's not much to stop you from doing so in this country. 3 years ago we had a white-out for about 6-weeks over the winter...thankfully its been no-where near as bad since.
i'm sure anyone taking their game seriously won't be put off by a bit of chilly weather - and there are no end of good links courses here pretty much open fully over the winter with main greens and tees etc. to keep them occupied. i'm doubtful if you've been trying that hard to get a game in since october doc... :fair weather golfer: UK Weather 3497602689
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Thing is that even with the snow my game is getting better and better.

Shooting my handicap more or less every time I step on the course.

Must be all the practice. At least 100 balls everyday right now. :-)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Must be all the practice. At least 100 balls everyday right now.

How do you manage that LJ, have you joined the ranks of the unemployed?
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:02 pm

You raise a very good point Doc.

Although those who take their game seriously aren't put off by the cold weather, for aspiring pro's it does indeed mean that the majority of days are spent on the range, due to the course conditions. Yes, we do have plenty of links courses, but - it does cost to travel and play them regularly, and a lot of those trying to make their way in the game are on quite limited budgets.

I've noticed that there are an increasing number of lower ranked pro's heading to the Sunshine Tour in SA, and the Mena Tour in Dubai during the Winter - but again, you have to be in a position to fund these trips.

This weather must be extremely frustrating for the really keen amateurs, as many are limited to the times when they can get out on the course, and this does not always correspond with the odd days when we have some decent weather.

Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:10 pm

The clubs must be suffering as well with reduced income because of the poor weather. Less finances must have a knock-on effect with regard to investment on the golf courses and the facilities provided when the weather does eventually improve.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Our place has recently extended the Spikes Bar, and work has now started on a Par 3 Championship Course. I think that like a lot of courses, Society bookings have probably gone down a bit in the last couple of years, but the facilities are regularly used by various County and England coaching groups, which I guess provides a regular, guaranteed income.

We are quite lucky as the course is rarely closed, and with 4 x 9's it is possible to "rest" one of these when conditions are very wet.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 pm

Our course has actually opened again today, but has been closed since Friday due to snow and ice. I'm not bothered about the cold weather or even rain as we all spend a bomb on waterproofs etc, but its the amount of time we have the couyrse closed now and not just for snow. The water table is so high, and not had chance to drain that as soon as a rain storm hits, we're in mud and gloop so get closed again. last year was the wttest on record and no let up through the winter and the coldest March for ages now as well.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:59 pm

After 2 weeks of snow, ice and waterlogging, this week is course maintenance week! I wonder what the recent weather means for the work they can do...

All 18 greens on temps until at least Thursday (bad planning if you ask me to do it the week before a long weekend)

the website say "verti draining greens to a depth of 10 inches, aerating behind with a 15mm solid tine & then top dressing behind". All greek to me! Evil or Very Mad
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:36 pm

verticutting 10inches down sounds drastic davie (though maybe its standard practice) - has it looked like they are losing the greens recently? 15mm tine is ok it thats depth, but if you're getting 15mm diameter hollows cut that is going to take some time to fill in or a very heavy top-dress of sand. not ideal when the season is about to kick off at all.
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:45 pm

No scarpa - the greens have been remarkably good considering the weather and time of year and they usually seem to know what they are doing as the greens are always immaculate in the summertime

And I suspect the tine is 15 mil diameter not depth which DOES sound a lot but I estimate that's what they usually do - the very heavy top dressing takes 5-7 days to start to do the job so we've got a week or more (depending on weather) of rather ropey greens but hopefully will be worth it

Our season has nominally kicked off already (though with a few cancellations due to the weather) so it's not really bad timing in that respect - just in relation to the Easter weekend. They will do it all again (maybe not quite so deep or severe) just after the club champs in June to see it through to the end of the season
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:13 am

BlueCoverman wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:Must be all the practice. At least 100 balls everyday right now.

How do you manage that LJ, have you joined the ranks of the unemployed?

Do the days work... put the kids to bed... then off to the range for an hour or two. Since it doesn't close until midnight or later most nights it's not that tough to get a lot of balls in.

And since I work from home a lot I also get the chance to hit some balls during my downtime around 12ish some days.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 am

fair enough davie - i seem to remember verticutting links greens in the past to around 1 or 2 inches deep - but can't be sure. i think if they tined with 15mm dia holes at our place the greens would collapse they are so soft right now! having said that they are playing very fast for this time of year, and barring some soft spots round the hole where the heaviest footprinting occurs, they are running fairly true. just need a warmish dry spell soon to get them really back to their best.
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:Do the days work... put the kids to bed... then off to the range for an hour or two. Since it doesn't close until midnight or later most nights it's not that tough to get a lot of balls in.

In this cold, crappy weather that is true dedication UK Weather 1927768590
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 am

BlueCoverman wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:Do the days work... put the kids to bed... then off to the range for an hour or two. Since it doesn't close until midnight or later most nights it's not that tough to get a lot of balls in.

In this cold, crappy weather that is true dedication UK Weather 1927768590

Heated bays... and very effective heaters! And unlimited balls for a fixed price helps me to want to get out and use them
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:04 am

Is that Top Golf or North Weald, LJ?

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 pm

UK weather and my lack of golf didn't stop me getting my THIRD hole in one in Tenerife last week! cheers

It was the second hole at Amarilla Golf - a par 3 (naturally), 123 yards approx from a very elevated tee down to a sloping green (back to front) surrounded by palm trees (LordPutt managed to get his ball stuck in one and we couldn't hoik it out so had to leave it - no Sergio heroics here) and with a big drop off into a baranca behind. Hit a 23 degree utility straight at the pin, the ball bounced twice, ran up to the hole and straight in. Three ladies walking past saw it all and said it was the first time they'd ever seen one so they were thrilled too. I kept it quiet when we got back to the clubhouse .....
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Congrats LP!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 pm

and the rest of the round LP UK Weather 3461234324 Congratulations on your hole in one and winning the Tampa Fantasy League event.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 am

Well done LP, I bet Lord Putt was spitting feathers whilst trying to say well done love Twisted Evil
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:56 am

smithersjones wrote:Is that Top Golf or North Weald, LJ?

TopGolf at the moment.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:07 am

Doc wrote:Well done LP, I bet Lord Putt was spitting feathers whilst trying to say well done love Twisted Evil
Actually he was more thrilled than I was! When we got back to the hotel he was telling everyone how proud of me he was - but then he is a big softie ilu He's now seen two of my three Aces but says this was the best one.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:53 am

Well done LP! bounce
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:43 am

and you kept it quiet?

Good girl. I did the same thing in South Africa!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:51 am

Nice one LP...Congratulations cheers
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:37 am

Nice one LP, it must be a great feeling ... playing golf.

Mustn't complain though, we are off to Spain on Wednesday for a few rounds in the sun I hope cheers

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:56 am

Playing golf tomorrow UK Weather 70282223 it'll be the first time in over 4 months. It'll be cold but we might make double digits centigrade but should be finished by the time the showers roll in.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:16 am

Have a good one GG! sunny
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:24 am

good luck Grumps! Double digits centigrade isn't cold though! last time I played it was almost double digits in the negative (if you count the windchill)

I'd certainly settle for double digits this weekend!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 am

Have a good one Grumps, enjoy yourself UK Weather 1927768590
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:43 am

Thanks everyone, double digits aren't likely to arrive until after we finish. It'll be closer to freezing when we start.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:10 am

Just got back from the club and there is still snow on the ground so little chance of the greens staff doing any work for the foreseeable future. Monday's competition has already been called off, as has our Mail on Sunday match. All in all pretty grim.

J

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:44 am

Now at Easter. Had a gut full of this weather already this year, on top of a crap year last. Love me golf but don't think I can take much more of forking out fees for membership and seeing little return. All in all, golf in the Uk is a pretty grim picture at the moment!!

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:30 am

Hang in there guys, it will get better. I have just had my first round for over 4 months today and there was still some small patches of snow on one of the holes which is done to a combination of low temperatures and not much sun.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:11 am

We finally got out today for the first time in a fortnight taking the opportunity to have a game with my wife which doesn't happen too often as I am Vice-Captain this year. In theory she should give me four shots but we play off level so I can claim the moral high ground even if I lose! We were on temps but the weather was bright and sunny even if a touch on the chilly side.

Ball striking was very rusty most of the way round but suddenly came together on 16 for a birdie (just missed the eagle putt), birdie, par finish and a 1 up victory on the last. I thought I had her on 17 when I chipped in but she followed me in with a 15 footer. A quick reckon up at the end had her on 38 points and me on 42 so all in all a nice warm up for the 'Family Masters' in Spain next week.

J

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshanking Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:47 am

Going to venture out soon for the first time in absolutely ages. Will be lucky to break 110 Sad after a hiatus of a long long long time......
Noshanking
Noshanking

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:44 am

It is the 4th of April and it is snowing, what is occurring??
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 am

Oh dear, we're going to be mid teen centigrade this weekend Innocent

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 am

Noshanking wrote:Going to venture out soon for the first time in absolutely ages. Will be lucky to break 110 Sad after a hiatus of a long long long time......

Is that you NST?

How is 'Nam
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshanking Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:48 am

Tis me Shanker..... the artist 'formerly known as' Noshankingtonite. Have relocated to Wiltshire now, but NOT ANYWHERE NEAR SWINDON..... I am now in JAS country. How's you Shanker?
Noshanking
Noshanking

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 am

I am exceedingly well 'artist formerly known as' and thank you for asking.

Does the change of name mean you have formerly embraced the joys of total celibacy and not just on one night?

Presumably it was the job that necessitated the move.

Not a lot has changed here, still the same old crew - LJ pops in occasionally and D4S is even less frequent, SmithersJones is still around and of course JAS.

My golf is better than at Old Fold Manor - yours probably isn't Innocent and I'm about to move as well (work again) Bury St Edmunds here we come!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 pm

I do indeed look in occasionally! Welcome back NS(T!).

Have you checked out clubs around Bury, OS? Some lovely tracks around Ipswich but I don't know that part of Suffolk at all well.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshanking Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:34 am

Hiya Smithers and everyone else who remembers me. I remember well your 'banditry at Barnet' where you stole the show (and spondulitos Smithers).... I blame my lack of SatNav and M25 chaos for my poor performance that day. It was an excellent day though; Shanker, Ringer, D4S and LJ all made it worthwhile and I did hit one Lucy Locket so I am fully entitled to my monika Laughing
Noshanking
Noshanking

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 am

smithersjones wrote:I do indeed look in occasionally! Welcome back NS(T!).

Have you checked out clubs around Bury, OS? Some lovely tracks around Ipswich but I don't know that part of Suffolk at all well.

I think I will be joining Bury St Edmunds GC - A nice old traditional course, fairly long and quite tight. There are another couple of courses within spitting distance, Flempton is a 9 holer and the other is a hotel/country club style. Of course just up the road is Thetford Forest GC, one of my very favourite courses, nasty rumours flying around that they are in the midst of a financial crisis and then there is Royal Worlington and Newmarket GC, apparently the best 9 hole course in the World (Flempton calls itself the best 9 holes in the country). Never played either of them myself, but probably will do.
However, being a traditionalist at heart, BSEGC will suit me fine, I know the Captain there and already have a proposer and seconder. Still entails an interview affraid better dig out the 'blazer and slacks'!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:57 am

Proper Old School then, nice. Fingers crossed!

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:22 am

When it happens (if it happens, my buyer is making squeaky bum noises) I will sort out a game if you're up for it!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 am

Definitely, keep me posted. Thanks.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Oi! Dinnae forget me!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:19 am

Your invite is a given LJ and of course the Ringer.

Mind you those squeaky bum buyer noises are getting louder. UK Weather 398825057
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshanking Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 am

"Still entails an interview better dig out the 'blazer and slacks'!"

Picture the scene.....Shanker absent-mindedly wandering through the ladies changing rooms 'by mistake' in full slacks n blazer ala 'The Major' of "Fawlty Towers" fame.... Twisted Evil UK Weather 2975105902
Noshanking
Noshanking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next