Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friggin Weather

+6
LadyPutt
Davie
Mary_S
1GrumpyGolfer
BlueCoverman
Doc
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Friggin Weather - Page 4 Empty Friggin Weather

Post by Doc Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Played a charity event on Saturday in brilliant sunshine, but the front 9 greens were closed so had to play on temporary greens. All this because we had a frost overnight, and it was hardly anything. Our course has always been all year around, including greens until last winter, but because the course has had deluge after deluge this summer, and the water table right to the top, the merest hint of cold and the greens are closed.

I imagine many of our courses are going to struggle this winter with closures, simply because they haven't had the time to dry out this year. So all you lucky guys and gals who have well drained sand based tracks will probably escape, but the rest of us are in for some garbage.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Friggin Weather - Page 4 Empty Re: Friggin Weather

Post by Matelot golfer Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:06 am

Played St Enodoc today in Cornwall winter golf series. Afew heavy showers but overall the course was in great nick. Only one or two small puddles on some fairways ,but all greens excellent, true and fast. Tough wind though especially playing off the whites with at times it being a two or 3 club wind against. Overall sounds like we got luckily compared to you guys up country. Sun came out for last 4 holes and managed to finish par, birdie, par, par but damage had all been done on front nine where I had only 10 gross stable ford points for 9 holes!!

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 am

BlueCoverman wrote:
oldshanker wrote:The owners of the course never close the course unless it is under 6 inches of snow

That reminds me oldshanker of the owner of a golf club near to me. The members there say that no matter how much rain there has been, he will never close the course unless "the tills are flooded" Friggin Weather - Page 4 3461234324

Funny, that could be Crondon, they hardly ever close and never have temp greens. But their green fee income is next to nothing, and the clubhouse isn't exactly mobbed so whatever the incentive for staying open it's not in the till!

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 am

Forrester Park SJ
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 am

A week of dry weather and the courses are starting to dry out now - but who turned the cold back on?

Played a bounce game yesterday that wasn't a lot of fun thanks to the bitter temperature and tomorrow sees our third round winter foursomes KO match. Course in great nick for the time of year but by God it will be cold tomorrow!

Playing a very good low handicapper and a fairly decent low teens father and son combo - but getting 13 shots :sombrero: .. we'll need them all I think!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:09 am

Davie, spoke to our headgreenkeeper today. He's well chuffed with the occasional sun and strong winds that are drying the course out nicely. Think we have forecast almost another week of no rain so hopefully courses up and down the country are now managing to get back into some sort of normal state for play. Can't imagine many people digging deep in their pockets to quickly just yet to pay off their subs, that is if they haven't decided it does not make economical sense to rejoin based on the last few years weather!!

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:56 pm

managed to play 18-holes yesterday, which is the first time this year. had a couple of lessons and tried to put it into play, with some positives, although some crap as well. I managed to play to 10? but couldn't believe it as I wasn't too pleased with my game, yet chipped in twice and got one birdie, along with some missed putts and topped shots. Played much better golf and only just played to my h/c, is this the secret, play crap score well.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:44 pm

Can hardly wait - off to Tenerife in two weeks' time for two weeks sunny I've had enough of this freezing cold.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:49 am

Doc wrote:Played much better golf and only just played to my h/c, is this the secret, play crap score well.

Much to your playing partners chagrin, you look like you're playing crap and when it's added up at the end of the round you're 5-10 shots better than them Friggin Weather - Page 4 3461234324

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4