Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grip & Swing

2 posters

Go down

Grip & Swing Empty Grip & Swing

Post by Doc Wed May 30, 2012 1:26 am

Some of you have been bored to know, that I have recently gone through a swing rebuild, but had my eyes opened last night, so would like to hear what you think.

Last night the pro gave me a bit of a bollocking because it seemed as if I had changed my grip back to a softer left hand. I have to say that my performance out on course these last couple of weeks seems to have gone backwards. But he was correct, so I rolled my left hand over the grip more for him. As I was wearing a short sleeved shirt instead of having my arms covered in a sweater, he noticed my left arm/wrist was too taught. He said that it looks uncomfortable and I agreed. He said I could end up doing some serious injury so need to go back to my old grip.

This is where things get tricky, because my old grip doesn't allow me to get the correct angle of attack, so swing flat which can cause the toe to hit the turf first causing a shank. He tried having my hands lower which lifts the toe, which worked ok but not brilliant. He then decided to get me to get the club up quicker by using my elbows earlier (Hope your still with me) This actually allowed me to rotate further which increased the swing speed, and got my right leg working firmer and better. The connection after a couple of attempts seemed excellent. The ball seemed to be 'pinched' off the turf and connection was solid. I could almost feel the ball rolling up over the grooves. I just find it it amazing that something so insignificant as the grip can affect your game so much. Then being taught to get the club up quicker by using your elbows earlier, actually changes the way the club attacks the ball on the downswing. he just said 'there you go, you've now got your own swing that works for you, just make sure you get some practice to perfect it'. He also said that this swing needs to used for every club including driver
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Grip & Swing Empty Re: Grip & Swing

Post by Mary_S Wed May 30, 2012 2:48 am

That's interesting to hear Doc - hope the new set-up continues to go well on the course. Smile Keep us posted.

I am also conscious that my left hand has a tendancy to creep back too far, and I agree that the game never ceases to amaze me, in that a minor adjustment in grip, stance etc can make such a difference to how we play.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down