Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grip Advice

2 posters

Go down

Grip Advice Empty Grip Advice

Post by Doc Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:22 pm

To get the best results, meaning strike and ball flight, my pro' has insisted that I roll my hands further to the right. In escence I'm showing more knuckle on my left hand. It does work a treat I have to say, and I've had some great results with it. Pain in the arse messing with my grip before each shot, until it beds in, but never mind. It does however put a lot of strain on my left wrist, which tends to ache after each round, and can be quite annoying. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get the same results, without having to put so much pressure on my left wrist. Small hands and fairly skinny wrists I'm told make no difference (Pro) I can put up with it, and it may well bed in and problem solved, but I'm also worried that I end up with athritus in the left wrist later on. I don't suppose my playing partners will allow me to use a tee on the fairway Smile
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Grip Advice Empty Re: Grip Advice

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:01 am

Without knowing where your hand started its tough... but what it sounds like is your pro has squared up your right palm so that it is pointing at the target at address. So it's square to the clubface. What that is going to give you is power. At the same time moving the left hand over as well forces it to be active during impact providing the strength to support the hinge and also to hold the right hand back from flipping either under or over the ball. What that is going to give you is control.

It might sound daft but for a right hander golf is a game very much dominated by your left hand side. The left is controlling the right all the way through. The right is pushing hard to get through and gets the damn thing going.

I wouldn't advise messing around with it. But instead strengthen that wrist a little more. There's lots of exercises for that specific purpose if you google golf wrist exercises. And I promise it's not a way to get to some dodgy LPGA player pics. Honest.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Cheers LJ. I've been messing around with it on the practice area a for a week now. I've discovered I can get some great strikes, but tending to go left of target, probably due to my left hand trying to get back to the position it's used to. Looks like practice, practice and more practise required
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:47 am

If you weaken off your left hand whilst keeping the right hand in the new position you will overpower that left hand side through impact. And as a result you'll hit it left. Move it back. Let that left wrist do it's job!

And it's not practice that you need to get it stronger... exercise it. Build up the ability to resist that stronger hand and the ability to absorb the impact shock a little better. If you practice too much without doing the exercise you are liable to pick up an injury if you're not careful.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down