Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round

+6
raycastleunited
JAS
SetupDeterminestheMotion
hogie
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round Empty Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon May 14, 2012 11:51 am

I hereby declare the Summer Eclectic officially open.

Tell us your tales of joy, woe, banditry and debauchery here.

Updated leaderboard as of September 4.

Moving into the final weeks of the eclectic comp, deadline is September 30 for those still to get rounds in

LEADERBOARD (September 4, 2012)

Score Rounds Name
-15 F Sand
-14 (7) Barragan
-12 (5) Fader
-11 F GolferMartin
-11 F SetupDeterminesTheMotion
-11 (7) Grumps
-11 (5) Raycastleunited
-10 F Davie
-10 F NavyBlueShorts
-10 (4) Hogie
-7 (4) Doc
-7 (4) OldShanker
-7 (3) JAS
-6 (4) Nay Bother

If you don't appear on the leaderboard it means one, or more, of a few things:

You haven't started yet Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round 1562444022
You didn't submit your scores Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round 2975105902
You haven't played enough to get into negative numbers Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round 1067764964

or
You played crap Razz

Last edited by 1GrumpyGolfer on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:10 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Leaderboard September 4)

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round Empty Re: Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue May 15, 2012 12:11 am

Hogie and Doc are taking the plunge and kicking this thing off on Saturday. Good luck guys. Who else is going to be brave enough to risk fame, fortune and downright ridicule?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round Empty Re: Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round

Post by Davie Tue May 15, 2012 12:22 am

I'm looking forward to my first eclectic ruond but as my game this weekend is 4BBB Matchplay it's probably best I don't sign up for a round for that as there could be too many DNFs!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat May 19, 2012 7:33 am

My first round will be on Sunday.

I know Sand and Fader from the dark side have completed round 1 although Fader has not supplied his score yet.

So in the immortal words of Delia: "where are you, let's be having you"

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun May 20, 2012 6:20 am

I'm itching to get started Grumps - but as it's 1st round of 4BBB knockout tomorrow I think I'll pass as there will be too many gimmes/pickups/DNFs

Looking to play my first counting round next weekend
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Tue May 22, 2012 12:18 am

I have to say my chipping and putting were outstanding, and my driving was pretty good, but put an iron in my hand and I had no idea where the ball was going to go. I could pull it 30 yards left or push it 30 yards right with what I felt was the same swing and haven’t had the dreaded S word for several years and had 2 in a row on the second hole. I even choked down on a 7 wood from 165 yards so I wouldn’t have to hit an iron… I think I will be spending some time at the range before my next round to try to figure something out. If I can’t figure it out myself my next port of call will be a pro or a shrink. :oops:

I opened with a back to back tripples and ended up shooting a 97 :( The good news is there are lot of holes i can improve on in the next round!!

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue May 22, 2012 12:36 am

Commiserations Hogie - I also had a suspected S-Word at the weekend - 100 yards out with a wedge and the ball in light rough a couple of inches above my feet. Flew off at about a 60 degree angle. I did wonder at the time if I'd just swung inside it and it had come off the toe of the club but usually when that happens you can feel it through the grip and into the fingers - this felt like a rally solid contact and I was immediately looking towards the flag - only caught the actual flight out of the corner of my eye Evil or Very Mad
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue May 22, 2012 2:18 am

Like Hogie my round wasn't the best and it has left me with some holes that I should easily improve upon. A couple of doubles and a couple of triples that should be improved upon in the next few rounds.

I didn't have any of the aforementioned but I did catch a couple a little chunky; just like me. I am also trying to bed in a putting change and a few three putts didn't help the cause or confidence. There's always next time.....

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri May 25, 2012 12:30 am

Before I forget I'd like to put myself down for round 1 this weekend (Saturday)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Fri May 25, 2012 8:50 pm

I'll put in my first card for the electic, with tomorrow's play in our medal comp.
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri May 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Davie and Setup: good luck this weekend. Come back and regale us with your tales of outrageous scoring.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat May 26, 2012 9:07 am

Evening all, put me down for my first summer Eclectic tomorrow,
Mens Championship at my 2nd course....If I have a decent one I make the cut and I'll be having my 2nd round on the Sunday
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat May 26, 2012 9:17 am

Well good luck JAS. Look forward to hearing all about it.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun May 27, 2012 5:30 am

Not a good start Sad...no birds. A gross 87...2 raspberry ripples on the back nine. The frist one from a drive down the middle that drifted slightly right in the wind and took a huge bounce into trouble and was never seen again:( The other triple was and angry tug left 18th after 3 putting 17 from 15 feet. Missed the gross cut by one...most annoying as I am striking the ball well....time to have a quiet word with myself Sad

Playing a bounce round tomorrow afternoon Grumps so put me down for number 2, typically it will be a blinder when it doesn't matter :-/
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun May 27, 2012 5:31 am

Wow it's quiet on here today! Just back from my first summer eclectic round and it was a nightmare!

Very poor start for me - largely down to the winds (I'm only about 10 miles from Wentworth so I know how the guys in the PGA feel. Only really a couple of scores that I'd consider worthy for the eclectic but I've emailed Grumps the full scorecard Embarassed

Still it gives me something to improve on! BTW the course was in great nick so I can't blame that and the weather was gorgeous apart from the wind - it was in a different direction from normal too and though we usually expect a bit of wind on the back 9 (it's more exposed) I've rarely known the front nine so windy!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun May 27, 2012 5:59 am

Well least you and JAS got to play Davie. I've been working in the back garden all morning and then had to dash inside as a huge thunderstorm rolled through. The missus wanted a patio, maybe I can convince her to go with a paddling pool instead.

I saw your email Davie, I'll add it into the spreadsheet shortly.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun May 27, 2012 6:07 am

JAS wrote:

Playing a bounce round tomorrow afternoon Grumps so put me down for number 2, typically it will be a blinder when it doesn't matter :-/

You got it JAS; same tees even though it's a bounce game right?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun May 27, 2012 5:13 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:
JAS wrote:

You got it JAS; same tees even though it's a bounce game right?

Yep, we'll still be off the whites, I'll give you both cards later
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Mon May 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Played first round on Saturday of the Eclectic. On this showing will not be winning the Summer Eclectic.

First hole, nice easy wedge to the green, sculled it onto the second tee. Did manage a lob wedge recovery & single putt to make par.

4th Hole, just avoided the hazard, as the ball took an immediate dive off to the left, off my wedge tee shot. When playing my shot from the edge of the hazard I had to stand awkwardly to avoid falling in. Only to dump my ball ino the greenside bunker. Ball sitting just in the bunker & no more, sculled this one right over the green. Lob shot next into the bunker. Bunker shot almost holed as ball hits the flag & dances around the cup, leaving a 2ft putt. That I somehow managed to hole.

6th hole, wild hook of the tee, leaving me over 240 to the green. I had borrowed my mates RBZ 3 wood as he couldn't hit to save himself. So nice easy swing lets see what this over-hyped club can do. Like an exocet missile 240yg into the wind landed on the green, some 20 ft from the hole....might persuade mate to sell me this. cheers

8th hole I tried the RBZ again, had doubts in my mind that I had too much club & just hooked it into the greenside bunker.

18th hole: Thought I try the RBZ again, usually I can reach the last with a good driver but never a 3 wood. I hit it right through the green.

Comes off the last, and waits to see if my mate will sell me the RBZ. We agree a price, go to shake hands & he decides he wants ti keep it. No
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Round two for me today please Grumps
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:30 am

So round 2 happened for me today and scores have been emailed to Grumps

Needless to say it was an improvement on round 1 (if I hadn't improved on round 1 I may have just hung up my glove straight away)

Lovely day on the course (overcast but very warm) - the course was immaculate and if I had to find anything to criticise it would be that the greens were just a little too hard - but very fast and very true

Took something like 16 shots off my round one score (not that it would be dfficult to improve on the round 1 car crash) and got a couple of pars in on what are very difficult holes for me

As for the game itself it was a straight matchplay (friendly) between me and my regular playing partner - and he played out of his skin (42 points with a "blob") - I was 3 down after 9 but got it back level by the 14th and felt like I had him on the back foot a little until he drained a monster putt on the 14th for a birdie (which I parred). He won 15 also to put me back to 2 down and I was a little lucky to get a half out of DEEP rough on 16. Almost holed my tee shot on 17 but it went about 7 ft past and I made the cardinal sin of leaving my birdie putt an inch short which I needed to keep the match alive. 42 pts for him and 37 for me - I felt fortunate to hold the match to a 2&1 loss!

The other good point was the 3rd guy who played with us though didn't want to play in any sort of match - 3 months almost to the day after a knee replacement he made it around 18 holes and though his golf was very rusty and didn't really score very well he did really well to get around 18 holes on a very warm day with no ill effects
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:09 am

Round 2 for me on Monday. Bank holiday stable ford.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Round 2 for me on Saturday....

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Time for another try at this, round 2 for me today.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:23 am

I'm going for round 3 tomorrow Grumps though the weather looks like it could be a bit wet, I may regret it!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:14 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Time for another try at this, round 2 for me today.

Oh why did I bother? I didn't play golf today, I played a game of you suck! If I bettered one score that would be amazing.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 am

Round 3 for me today and I was pretty happy with my game though it was still a bit of "what could have been"

2 under my handicap in a C medal to finish 3rd overall and a 0.8 cut but that included a 9 on the par5 16th. It's certainly a tough hole - possibly the toughest on the course even though it's not an over-long par5 but it has everything on it - yet even a 7 on there and I could have won my first medal

Still pretty happy with the result (and cut) though. 2 under h.c after 9 (and I usually play the back nine better) - 4 under after 13 but 16 just killed my chances.

Couldn't buy a putt all day though - so the 2-under was quite satisfying and told me I played pretty well tee to green.

Email sent to Grumps with the score
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:20 am

Round 3 for me on Sunday. Cheers Grumps.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:00 am

Just done round three (scores will be emailed to you soon Grumps).

Up and down as usual, but I think I moved forward.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Oh how I wish I had declared another couple of rounds, instead of waiting for some firm bouncy fairways. Went out Monday evening and was 2 over gross on the front 9, finished up playing to 9. A blazing performance and would have vastly improved on many holes. Last night I was hitting it even better but only managed to play to 11, which for an 18-handicapper is great. I walked off with my hair looking like Jedward in the strong blustery wind, but happy as Larry. Weather forecast is for severe drought this weekend, so although I've got a booking for Saturday, will probably end up watching TV.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Going to try for another round today (my fourth I think?)

Looks a bit breezy out there today but at least it's dry
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:50 am

Well I'm not sure if it was a good idea to elect for an eclectic round today or not! As I mentioned above, the wind was up - and boy did it blow!

Probably not the best conditions to choose an eclectic round but I actually played quite well in the conditions and came in with as estimated 35 pts though the game itself was matchplay (at least I holed out on every hole that was important from eclectic POV though)

Must've been at least a 3 club wind - at one point I had about 95 yards to the pin and nailed an 8 iron - still came up half a club short!

EMail on the way to Grumps with the scores - and I'd like to nominate another round tomorrow - wind is supposed to be much less that today and if I can play as I did today then it should be a worthwhile

Big comp tomorrow but even if the wind drops, the course is playing TOUGH - club champs next weekend and they've let the rough grow to almost ridiculous levels- and the greens are getting very very quick
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:11 pm

My turn to do a JAS and Doc. Played yesterday and despite being 3 off the tee on the first I played to handicap and improved on a number of holes Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round 1505004552

Had two doubles on the front but managed a number of pars. Back nine started strong but got on the bogey train managing to fall off on 17 only to be dragged back on at 18.

Round 3 for me today.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:39 am

That was round 5 for me today and despite much less wind than yesterday, I didn't play as well as I had done in a 3 club wind! The rough is just getting completely brutal now though and anything off line is severely punished and I just didn't drive the ball as well tody as yesterday

Don't hink I improved any holes today but I'll mail the scores to Grumps anyway
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:01 am

raycastleunited wrote:Round 3 for me on Sunday. Cheers Grumps.

not much to report for R3. Improved bogie 5 to a par 4 on the 8th, and that's it.

Course playing very tricky, club champs this weekend so rough up and greens very quick with some tough pin positions.

Cheers grumpy!
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:00 pm

Going for round 3 tonight grumps, cheers
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Round 4 tonight grumps and feeling more confident Cross Fingers
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Good luck Doc. Hope the new wedges spur you on

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Good luck Doc. Hope the new wedges spur you on

Score card emailed to you GG, and yes the wedges are something else. Still playing well and even on holes where I mess up, I smile because invariably I've hit at least one shot that gave me the horn.

Yesterday saw me win our company golf day and walk away with a nice trophy and £200 AG vouchers. Played at Hill Valley in Shropshire, and it must have been the only place in the country where it didn't rain. The course had already seen plenty of the wet stuff though, and was soggy in places, receptive greens and not much run on the fairways. In fact the longest drive hole was won by the same guy as last year, but was some 40-yards behind his previous mark.

Going over to Yorkshire tonight for a weeks holiday, so will be playing golf and chilling out with the wife. No doubt we'll be calling into AG so that she can spend my vouchers Sad

So I'll be back on line in a week or so. Have a good one all Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round 1927768590
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Nice going Doc. Enjoy your week off Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round 1927768590

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Nice win Doc, glad to see that you have sorted the shanks out! Enjoy your holiday Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round 1927768590
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:37 am

I played 2nd & 3rd round Saturday & Sunday.

Played really well first 9 on Saturday & on Sunday I played the back 9 well.

Good for my eclectic score but not so good for a medal score, though on Saturday my net score was 66 & Sunday 69.

Cut by 0.4 but still hanging on to 12 (11.6).
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:19 am

OK much against my better judgement, considering the weather forecast, I'm going for round 6 tomorrow. It's Captain's Day and I wasn't going to enter it as an eclectic round as they sometimes have novelties and special charity fund raising events for these events (pay a Pro or good junior to take your tee shot on a difficult hole) but I've just found out that it's a "proper" event with the captain's shield to be won so no novelties

It's morning and afternoon shotgun starts and I'm out in the morning when the weather looks slightly less dodgy so I'll give it a shot!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:07 am

Well I was wrong about the weather - those of us out this morning had continual showers so that wets and brollies were forever on and off (so far this afternoon starters have had it dry!)

Course was very wet - must've been close to being closed but they did their best to get Captain's day on and so far the effort is paying off - despite the wet, the course stood up to it pretty well - some very soggy fairways but the greens drained very nicely and it wasn't too much bother

Played "OK" - nothing better than that - 31pts in pretty taxing conditions so not TOO disappointed - the rough is still pretty brutal but if you keep it straight it's not too bad

Only one eclectic shot improvement I think - still not reached my score from the winter eclectic yet though I think the weather was better in the winter!

Couple of rounds to go and still a few shots I can shave off if I could only get my putter to behave!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:25 am

Book me in for my third round tomorrow Wink

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Round 4 for me today. Played a couple of blinders recently so hope that can continue. But most likely that's this round screwed

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:31 am

Non counting round as I played off of the back tees. Started off well with a birdie but finished so poorly going 9, 7 on the last two. Would have been a nice round without those two poxy holes

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:50 am

A week off work this week so had a nice casual round today - playing again tomorrow - only a friendly but against a good friend of mine where the will to win is always strong so I'll nominate a round (7 for me I think?)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:52 am

Round 7 for me today - another pretty average round but the conditions are starting to improve and I started to play more like what I would call "summer golf"

Got whupped in my little friendly match 5&3 - my mate played out of his skin and while I didn't start that badly I was 4 down after 6!

Got it back to 1 down at the turn but he went on another hot streak and I found myself dormie 4 - and lost the 15th

Although I got whupped though I did pick up a couple of eclectic shots I think with pars on the (for me) tough 8th and 11th

Mail on the way to 1GG
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:31 am

As threatened a couple of times here is the leaderboard as of July 19.

The handicap slashing pencil has been in action and one cut has been levied based on some exceptional play. You can see where I get my name from as I am losing my own poxy game. But, have no fear I have the magic spreadsheet and I will be bounding up the leaderboard soon. Innocent

LEADERBOARD (July 19, 2012)

Score Rounds Name
-10 3 Fader
-10 7 Davie
-9 6 NavyBlueShorts
-9 6 GolferMartin
-9 4 Sand
-7 4 Doc
-7 4 OldShanker
-5 3 SetupDeterminesTheMotion
-5 3 Hogie
-4 2 Ban_Bam
-4 2 Raycastleunited
-1 3 Grumps

If you don't appear on the leaderboard it means one, or more, of a few things:

You haven't started yet Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round 1562444022
You didn't submit your scores Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round 2975105902
You haven't played enough to get into negative numbers Tell us about your Summer Eclectic round 1067764964

or
You played crap Razz

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next