Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World No1

+2
Davie
Doc
6 posters

Go down

World No1 Empty World No1

Post by Doc Tue May 01, 2012 7:37 pm

I think we've see the number 1 spot change hands 7-times over recent months, with the latest being Luke going back to the top. This will probably change again this week if Rory fires a couple of decent rounds, and that seems likely because Luke isn't attending. At the moment I don't think being world number 1 actually means anything, although I accept that the world top 20 is a fairly accurate picture. Unless Rory, Lee, Luke or the like can do something spectacular and replicate what Tiger did, then I think the number 1 spot will be a constant change for a long while yet. So think its a meaningless stat devised to create some precieved extra competitive tension between the worlds best players. looks great on paper but cash is king, and we've seen how much many of the players earn who have actually done little in the game can amass in their careers.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

World No1 Empty Re: World No1

Post by Davie Tue May 01, 2012 7:44 pm

It's a sign of just how close the top 2 or 3 are that things are changing so often. Last week Luke needed solo 7th or better to reclaim #1 - this week I believe Rory needs something like T7 to get it back - and then a big finish from Westwood would also add him to the mix

At least last week (and potentially this week) we see someone getting to #1 by actually playing and achieving a result, unlike the time before when Rory got to #1 without playing
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue May 01, 2012 8:29 pm

I dont think it matters a great deal right now, there isnt much between the top players and the only one I can see kicking on and dominating is Coco, but that is nowhere near a given.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue May 01, 2012 8:36 pm

DimTim loves this sort of stuff, and his FedEx cup points table just means oodles of cash with bonuses for some players. Mat Kuchar won zillions the season before last but only just squeezed into the world top 20. Unheard of players can have a couple of good results and the amount of cash they get could see them retire from the game if they wanted, but would struggle to get worlds top 50 in real terms.

All thos years Tiger was world number 1 were also a bit strange, because his previous results made him unmovable for months and months even though he wasn't playing. He didn't play and when he did he was nowhere, but still hung onto the top spot. So a little bit ridiculous in my view, but thats just my opinion
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue May 01, 2012 10:06 pm

When players like John Daly, Todd Hamilton and Rich Beem become World No.1, I'll attribute less kudos to it.

Until then, it will continue to represent to me that the incumbent is a very, very fine golfer.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Wed May 02, 2012 12:15 am

For years when Tiger was leading the world ranking by double digits everyone was calling for someone to step up an make it competitive. And now that it is competitive everyone is calling for somebody to take the bull by the horns win few tournaments and clearly set themselves apart as a world number one, I suppose the grass is always greener.

It is still a massive accolade for somebody at the end of their career to be able to say that they reached the number one ranking. Yes I am sure Westwood and Donald would gladly swap that for a major but the players that have been ranked number one in the world is a much smaller club than those that have won majors. Obviously the bench mark for the great players has and will continue to be the number of majors won. But I still think that getting to number one in the world is a huge achievement.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed May 02, 2012 12:27 am

I don't see it as strange that Tiger held on to the number 1 spot for so long. He was so dominant that it is only right that people see him as the man to beat. Even when he was down in the 20's recently, everyone still looked to him as the man to beat... I'm sure Rory took a lot of satisfaction from winning the Honda knowing that Tiger was breathing down his neck, to be honest, probably more than if it was Luke or Martin Kaymer for example.

I'm not saying that Luke and Rory aren't deserving of number 1 status, just that, in my view, the ranking system accurately reflected the Tiger "aura" (TM) long after he stopped contending.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed May 02, 2012 12:30 am

I dont think anyone questions that getting to number one is a great achievement. I think its more the case that its not really hat intriguing as to which of the worlds top 3 (who have all already been number one) happen to be number one again for a given week.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down