Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 100 Courses in the world - Have your say

+13
diggers
Doc
LondonJonnyO
oldshanker
drive4show
Mary_S
Davie
JAS
super_realist
Doon the Water
raycastleunited
oldparwin
Maverick
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Top 100 Courses in the world - Have your say Empty Top 100 Courses in the world - Have your say

Post by Maverick Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:18 am

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/topcourses.asp

SR Mentioned something about the top 100 courses in reference to the RC.

So above is the link to the current top ranked courses. Which have you played and is the order in your opinion correct
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Top 100 Courses in the world - Have your say Empty Re: Top 100 Courses in the world - Have your say

Post by oldparwin Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:16 am

Sorry but do not agree with the 100 top courses for England, no mention of the Forrest of Arden course or any of The Warwickshire courses, but they have Perranporth, which I thought was crap, not sure what criteria they have put them in order, still one mans delight is another mans poison.
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Top 100 Courses in the world - Have your say Empty Re: Top 100 Courses in the world - Have your say

Post by raycastleunited Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:21 am

20. Crystal Downs? Sounds like something you see kids taking in night club toilets.

I think Sunningdale New should be higher than the Old.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:26 am

Crazy amount of American courses in the world 100, now who compiled the list?
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:35 am

Interesting to see that the Ryder Cup course at Gleneagles is rated the 47th best course in Scotland.

I assume SR has choked on his tea with TOC placed in front of Muirfield...complete madness.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:04 am

I'm glad to see Shinnecock highly ranked having been lucky enough to tee it up there I love it. I'm appalled to see TOC in the top 100 let alone so highly placed awful layout and awful course only ranked due to its history imo.

Certainly some interesting talking points about where some course are ranked and others I'd not even considered I'd love to play
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:12 am

All very arbitrary. Some of the best courses I've played or enjoyed most have been little, lesser known courses off the beaten track which just wouldn't register on any 'best' list.
Some of the better known ones I would think would make such a list would be Dornoch, Kingsbarns, The Castle and Carnoustie.

Would love to play some of the great park and heathland courses of England though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:25 am

Quite frankly I think the ones that the average Joe Public can't get on should be on a separate bloody list. Exclusivity never ceases to annoy me!!!
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:33 am

Amazed to see Bearwood Lakes still in the top 100. It's nice but not all that - there are better places within a 10 mile radius (and I'd include my own club in that!)

Not surprised Forrest of Arden isn't there though - it's a cabbage patch
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:36 am

I like the layout at Forest of Arden but agree the course is no longer in the condition it was when it used to host a tour event Marriot have let it slip in recent years.

Agree about Bearwood not a fan and not the best course in that area
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:44 am

You've played Bearwood Lakes Mav? I thought last time this topic came up on the other place, I was the only one to know it!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:46 am

Just had a look, I guess the prequel to Putt for Dough will be pleased at what has sneaked in at Number 100 on the UK list, well deserved though!!

There are some anomalies there... TOC just ISNT the 2nd best course in Britain & Ireland. What really does please me though is Dornoch's position, again well deserved and it's also nice to see Carnoustie climb a bit higher. I cant really work out why Birkdale has dropped. With Broadstone now included I can now lay claim to have played 23 in the UK and will hopefully take that above 25 this year

Internationally I just think it's a shame the the vast majority of us will never get to experience Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Shinnecock or Augusta. Despite my Alan Whicker tendencies I've only actually played 12 of the world top 100. More work to be done there methinks!! Looks like DL3's new masterpiece (Diamante Dunes) just outside Cabo san Lucas (that I missed at xmas) is the highest new entry, I really need to do my research better before travelling again!!
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:11 am

Having looked at the top 100 in Scotland, I think that I want to re-locate North of the border!
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 am

Agree with Doon 100%, these sort of things are incredibly subjective. Personally, I would never have a parkland course in any list but that is just my opinion. For me, golf is all about links and heathland but I fully appreciate that some people don't like the unpredictable bounces etc that you can get on those types of course.
I have played courses on the UK list that wouldn't even get in my own personal top 100, never mind a national list!

But for the record, I have played 15 on the World list and 47 on the UK list. Also playing Rye in May and possibly one or two others this year as well Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:45 am

I've not played Bearwood, but I have walked the course fairly recently with a friend of mine who was playing in a pro event up there. Not a fan of layout or condition and definitely imo not a good course
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:50 am

I used to go to Bearwood College, I ran cross country over that course before it was built Laughing

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:58 am

Bearwood doesn't have much going for it apart from length - though they are reworking the 8th/9th to bring water much more into play - possibly too much from what I've heard of the 9th!

It's only about a mile away from where I live as the crow flies, though about 3-4 miles by road
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 am

Jas..We seem to be tied on 23 courses in GB
I have played 13 of the top 40.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:53 am

To my eternal shame, I have only played 2 of the top 100, both in Scotland and may well be playing another up there this year. I will also be playing Woodhall Spa this year as I have said on here, might get around to Ganton as well. But even then I will only be up to 5. Sad
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:59 am

shanker

If you add Woodhall Spa and Ganton to your list then you are adding 2 of the top 3 inland courses in the UK. Both truly excellent courses bounce

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:02 am

reading through this I have to say that you choppers wouldn't know a decent course if it came and bit you in the nipples.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:03 am

That's the plan D4S and Royal Norfolk as well, but that's not in the top 100 world courses.
Next year I think the boys golf trip will be to Ireland. RCD ilu If Only!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 am

Oh and also... any course named Maidstone really shouldn't be in any list at all. For obvious reasons.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:07 am

oldshanker wrote:That's the plan D4S and Royal Norfolk as well, but that's not in the top 100 world courses.
Next year I think the boys golf trip will be to Ireland. RCD ilu If Only!

RCD?? Not a problem, this is how I played it........

http://www.posnettgolf.com/Tournaments.aspx

I entered the Coasts of Down competition, tremendous value for money.

And oh yes, it IS all it's cracked up to be ilu

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:53 am

I have heard of this event - it does seem like a grand end to a 5 day trip over there. Certainly worth serious thought for 2013. study
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:02 pm

Wow these lists are very subjective and having played a few would move many of them up or down, and in a couple of cases off the lists. It does however show that my golf at home is usually done at my home course, so hardly any UK courses that are listed. Ganton, Silloth, deserve to be listed, but the Belfry and Alderbugh shouldn't be on there as I've played quite a few which are much more deserving.

In Portugal I've done Oceanico Old, Victoria, Val Do Lobo (Both courses) and San Lorenzo and agree that all these tracks are deserving, but would in fact put Val Do Lobo Royal at the top of the list.

In Spain I've done 2 of the La Cala tracks and playing the America's this year. How the hell Miraflores gets into the list I'll never know. Played it last year and will be playing it again this year as I have a place on the resort, and the greens were poisened last year. Potentially a good course but shouldn't be listsed. Marbella Golf & Country Club is my favourite by far and should be top of the list, however I appreciate Spain has many fine courses that I've not yet sampled, but have played a few that should be on the list.

Maybe we should think about compiling our own top 50 which could be more relevant to us, as those lists are going to be compiled from readers, clubs, pro's from all over the place, and much of it will be lifted from other work.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Good idea Doc although I think top 50 may be streatching it a bit for most 'normal' club members. I suggest top 20/ 25 but open to suggestions.
Can see quite a few arguments with my inner self looming !

Perhaps one of our Techies can then collate the results and hey presto we will have our own golf-chat defined list which we can alter anually.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Doon good shout, we can still have the list in sections - England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, USA etc. A much more meaningful list that forum members can consult when going on their travels as they'll get up to date info from guys who are local, and of course plenty of stuff about the courses from abroad from guys who have actually played them
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 pm

Maybe a separate thread in the "course reviews" section?

I'm happy to maintain it if it needs any maintaining but does anyone have any ideas how it might work? People submitting suggestions and then a vote or what?
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:45 pm

I suggest that we do a top 20 for England/Scotland/Wales /Ireland/Spain and Portugal/Mainland Europe/USA/Rest of the World.

If you have only played a few courses in any of those countries put them down as they will be included in the list.

I have only played in England and Scotland so my list will be pretty small.

What do the rest of you think?
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Only played one on that list, Wlaton Heath. Was clearly a very good course but far too tough for me with deep rough straight off the fairways and bunkers you could have built a castle in.
Have to say though I like my courses to be pretty and Walton Heath is certainly not that, lots of very samey looking holes surrounding each other.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Woodhall Spa, Sunningdale New and Saunton look really nice on that list.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Davie...thanks for that.
Would it be too simples just to have the most reccomended.

I realise that may be difficult with say access to Muirfield or St Georges Hill but at least it would be an honest list and not one compiled by 28 handicap drunken golf writers.

Thoughts please.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:18 pm

I think it's a long laborious task getting the initial list compiled but once done it should then in theory be relatively simple to maintain ongoing
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:30 pm

I played Forset of Arden year before last and I don't think it would even make the Top100 course I've played. I was very underwhelmed.

I've only played once outside of the UK & I, so can't comment on the rest of the world courses, but I'd actually swap Royal Portrush and Royal County Down around - both great courses but Portrush just shades it for me as a course. RCD is (even) more scenic though.
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:08 am

Good idea, how shall we start it off? Maybe everyone submits their top 10/25/50(??) and we can then collate all the votes and produce a list of the courses with the highest number of nominations?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 am

Ok so I shall make a start and we shall see where it leads us.
Golden rule is that you must have played [not walked or caddied] the courses

Top 20 for each region plus top 3 for 9 holers which IMO are often neglected.

ENGLAND.

I] Sunningdale Old
2] Walton Heath
3] Parkstone
4] St Georges Hill
5] The Belfry
6] Worplesdon
7] Sunningdale New
8] West Sussex
9] Ferndown
10] Burhill
11] Broadstone
12] Blackmoor
13] Bowood
14] RAC
15] Stoneham
16] Burnham & Berrow
17] Woburn Duchess
18] Puttenham
19] Foxhills
20] Freshwater Bay IOW.

ENGLAND 9 Hole Courses

!] Royal Worlington
2] Dorking
3] Strawberry Hill.

SCOTLAND

1] HCEG Muirfield
2] Turnberry Ailsa
3] Gullane No1
4] Turnberry Kintyre
5] Dundonald
6] Gleneagles Kings
7] Longniddry
8] St Kissocks
9] Gullane No2
10] Dalmahoy East
11] Dunbar
12] Belleisle
13] North Berwick West
14] Gleneagles Queens
15] Troon Darley
16] Duddingston
17] Mussleburgh
18] Luffness
19] Troon Barrasie
20] Kilspindie

SCOTLAND 9 Hole Courses

1] Tobermory
2] Durness
3] Maybole

Sleep
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:12 am

Well that's a joke right away, there is NO WAY that Parkstone is better than Broadstone Evil or Very Mad

lol!

I shall have a think about mine and post it tonight scratch

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 am

I won at Parkstone....that's why!!
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:20 am

Ok these are in no particular order as it'd take me to long to decide which are the best i've played, and take too long to work out 20 so i'm just gonig to throw some course in I rate highly.

Royal St Georges
Royal Cinque Ports
Littlestone
Fomrby
Sunningdale (Old)
Walton Heath
The OXfordshire
Woodhall Spa
The Berkshire
Celtic Manor 2010 (dare I mention it but I like it)
Burnham & Berrow
Royal Porthcawl
Slaley HAll (again from my own perspective fun to play)
Royal County Down
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:07 am

I haven't played as many top courses as some of you guys but I'll add votes for

The Oxfordshire
Hindhead
Hawkstone Park
Blackmoor
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:52 am

Davie

I have played both courses at Hawkstone and didnt rate them, the old course (Sandys hame) was marginal better.
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:05 am

Hind head, st mellion, st Enodoc ,Trevose, Dartmouth, ipswich-purdis heath, and Ladybank in Scotland make up my .

Plus Dartmouth has a great little 9 holer!

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:07 am

I have not played as many top courses as some on this board, So it is easier for me.

1) HCEG
2) Gullane 2
3) North Berwick
4) Gullane 1
5) Holinwell
6) Saunton Sands
7) The Brabazon
Cool Old Fold Manor
9) Thetford Forest
10) Sheringham
11) Dudingston
12) Welcome Hotel Stratford on Avon

With a bit of luck, after May, this list may be longer.

Doc - I've played La Cala Asian and American, loved them both. Shame that Miraflores is in bad condition, I really enjoyed it 3 years ago. It makes you stop and think, although I didn't think it was going to be like that when I stood on the first tee!

Why has that emoticon come up and not an 8 I wonder?
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:09 am

Matelot golfer wrote:Hind head, st mellion, st Enodoc ,Trevose, Dartmouth, ipswich-purdis heath, and Ladybank in Scotland make up my .

Plus Dartmouth has a great little 9 holer!

I've heard Purdis Heath is a little known gem Matelot. Just down the road from me, but not played yet. Maybe later on in the year.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:26 am

The best course in Suffolk in my opinion oldshanker.

Bobby Robson's home club for many years when he was managing that great Ipswich side in the 70's and 80's
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:31 am

Oldshanker.
Strange that you put No2's before No1's.scratch
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:40 am

If were adding world courses into the equation as well of those I've played I'd pop these in there again no particular order

Shinnecock Hills
Spyglass Hill
Pebble Beach
Whistling Straights (played it as a guest of a client 3 weeks after Kaymers win so was set up supernly and its awe inspiring with some of the views)
Doral Blue Monster! Again a peach
Fancourt ( on the proviso I like it this week)
Paris National
Valerrama
Oh and Sea Island Georgia absoultely gorgeous and underrated
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:44 am

oldparwin wrote:Davie

I have played both courses at Hawkstone and didnt rate them, the old course (Sandys hame) was marginal better.

I'm surprised to hear you say that OPW - certainly the new course is nothing special though IMO perfectly acceptable, but the old course I thought was stunning. Having said that, it's true I've not played many of the classic courses so maybe it's a case of "best of an average lot".

Last time I was at Hawkstone, on the old course the first couple of holes were a bit shabby and needing some work but after that I found it delightful

As I say, gets my vote from a perhaps smaller set of choices than some others here
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 am

Davie

I play Hawkstone several times a year, I also play Ludlow, and would rate the greens at Ludlow as best in the country for speed at any time of the year, and subtleness.

Hawkstone is now more a stay and play as well as a pay and play course, ( to many hackers and 5 hour rounds )

Would recommend Ludlow to anyone who likes fast greens sunny
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next