Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+25
Mary_S
scarpa
smithersjones
Redrage
diggers
hogie
raycastleunited
Matelot golfer
oldparwin
JAS
Doc
Doon the Water
BlueCoverman
chris b
venice1
gaelgowfer
LadyPutt
Noshankingtonite
Mercurio
drive4show
LondonJonnyO
Maverick
oldshanker
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
29 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 10 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by Davie Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

As one of the more popular threads on the dark side, a place to tell us about your latest game
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 10 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by Davie Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:57 am

Well that was a bit of a turn up for the books ... first medal of the year which I looked on with some trepidation as the course has been playing long, with wind, frost, snow and everything else - wasn't looking forward to having to play in medal conditions .. but suddenly it has dried up, warmed up and the ball started flying further with some roll on the fairways and it all came quite good!

Level par to handicap on the front nine (which to me is the harder nine) - the back nine has more good chances but can also bite you badly. Suddenly after a couple of really good holes I'm in red figures and stood on the 18th tee I'm 4 under handicap! Made a slight mess of the last but a good up and down only dropped me one shot to h/c and I walked off with a nett 67 (par/CSS 70) and hung on to win by one shot!

Thought the mess I made of 18 might cost me but not to be - what a great start to the season! 1.2 shot cut to get down to 21.2

<---- happy camper
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 10 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:22 am

Well played Davie, excellent start to the season and a great confidence boost Tell us about your game today... - Page 10 1927768590

First society day of the year for me today at Thorndon Park, always said to be probably the best course in Essex. Really enjoyed it despite the heavy rain showers and shot 77 (off the yellows) for 35 points. Not quite good enough to get in the frame but saved my best drive of the day for the 18th which won me the longest drive.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Congratulations Davie on a great start to season. Keep up the good work mate.

Blue, sounds like you had a good day out, well done on longest drive.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:30 am

First qualifier of the year and first 0.1 back!

Started off in beautiful conditions - bright sunshine and very little wind. Things were tending to go a bit left but nothing too drastic and finished the front nine more or less level to handicap. The wind started to get up though and a very messy patch just after the turn used up all my remaining shots and even a birdie/lip-out/birdie finish still left me one out of the buffer zone.

Never mind, mixed foursomes medal tomorrow, what could be easier?

J

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Another qualifier yesterday (unbelievably that's 4 already this calendar year!) and it was a big stableford comp - a particular trophy where there are 5 rounds over the year and the best 3 out of 5 scores count to the trophy at the end.

With a very large field there are usually some really good scores and when I finished with 35 points I thought it was respectable but would see me well down the field - as it happened when I finished the leaders were only on 37 points and it stayed that way until late on when two 38s came in ... CSS went to 35 points so I was well inside my buffer zone

4 qualifiers and 1 cut plus three easily in the buffer - I must be doing something right!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:57 am

Changing my grip from stron to neutral.
A battle royal.

On Saturday, went from the ridiculous to the sublime

A 10 (ten) on the seventh to a magic two on the eighth.

Grip feels so awkward, but I'll persevere
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:10 am

Sat here feeling a bit shell shocked! Play a bogey-par comp today which I thought was just a bit of a fun comp and not too serious. First nine I was one up against the course and going up the last was 2 up - had a 15 footer or so to go 3 up which I thought as I played it might get me perhaps into top 5 ... just missed it so ended up 2 up on the course

Got back to club house and entered scores and found I was in the lead from one other on count back but never expected it to last as there was another 2 hours worth of players to come in. Just checked the website a little while ago and found out that I'd only hung on to win it (two others on the same score but I won on countback)

Conditions were (I thought) fine apart from a real nasty little squall that came in for about 10 minutes (I swear the temperature dropped about 10 degrees in those 10 minutes then came back up to nice conditions again) - but others clearly found it tough out there .. some notable names from the club coming in with scores 4 or 5 down!

Only when I got back to the clubhouse did I realise that it was a little more than just a "fun comp" and was actually a board comp so it seems for the first time I'll get my name up on the boards!

Still can't quite believe it! I walked off the 18th feeling quite pleased with myself but thought I'd be something like 5-10th position

Happy camper tonight - tomorrow is 1st round summer 4BBB knockout - see if I can keep it up!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:52 am

Well done Davie - hopefully that's another healthy chop to the handicap. Tell us about your game today... - Page 10 1927768590
Better be careful, 2 wins from 5 starts, rumours are there's a new maverick in town Wink
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Haha Scarpa - you know it felt a bit Maverickish when I was typing it!

No cut unfortunately as, being a bogey-par comp, it was a NQ Sad
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:31 pm

That's surprising, we used to play one each year as juniors and they definitely counted then. We have one at my new club which is a NQ followed by an NQ stableford in March - the course seems to generally need until beginning of April before it's ready for qualifiers, but when I've asked it's never been stated that it couldn't be a qqualifier because it's a bogey comp. I'll ask the question at the next hcp committee meeting.
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:39 pm

I think the reason it was a NQ was because, if you think in Stableford terms, you are encouraged to pick up if you can't score 2 points - so you could still have a putt for a point but it would still be a "loss" in the bogey-par

Anyway my score was only estimated 37 points so wouldn't have been much of a cut (though I'd have taken it!)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Well done Mav-der, I mean Davie. Two wins so far this season, that's some nice going.

Yesterday was our Masters Tournament with the prize being a nasty, houndstooth check jacket that must be a size 36 short. It's played using the standard Callaway system so the handicap is calculated based on the days play; it's designed to make it look close rather than have someone run away with it.

I played reasonably well but was basically on the bogey train for the first nine holes finishing with six straight fives. I started the back nine pretty well with six straight pars although never really threatened any birdies. On the 16th one of my playing partners basically gave up, ended up hacking around at the end of the end of the hole and then proceeded to loudly debate how many he had taken as he had lost count. I allowed that to distract me and I missed a short putt. I made a mess of 17 from a great position. On 18 the same guy was having trouble remembering what he had done while I was waiting to chip onto the green. I eventually asked if he was done so I could concentrate on my chip, he was still doing it while I was about to hole out to finish the round.

I ended with an 83 which is +4 for me. When the scores were calculated we had 4 folks finish with 74, two finish with 73, and two finish with 72. I was one of the 72s and won the jacket based on having the lowest gross. Apparently I will have to wear the jacket to the awards dinner Rolling Eyes

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 am

Well done Grumps, don't forget to post us a picture of yourself looking fine and dandy in that handsome sounding jacket! Tell us about your game today... - Page 10 3461234324

Congrats Davie on your first board win, a great start to the season Tell us about your game today... - Page 10 1927768590

Last edited by BlueCoverman on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:44 am

So 1st round of summer 4BBB knockout today and for 14 holes it was all going well. 1 up at the turn and dormie 4 up by the 15th tee - then the wheels came off (for both me and my partner!)

Ended up going down the last and we somehow scraped a half on the last to win 1 up

To be fair to the opponents, 4 and 3 would have flattered us and 1 up was probably closer to the truth - think we still deserved to win because of the way we played up to that point - but far too close for comfort!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun May 05, 2013 7:02 am

Another C medal today and sadly the Maverick-esque ru came to an end but still finished 6th from a field of only 28

+2 Nett so in buffer zone again but left some silly putts out there, plus a couple of shots in ponds - at least one of which was unforgivable

Still that's 5 qualifiers since January, 4 of which in buffer zone and one cut - plus 2 NQs both of which would have been buffer zone or better.

Men's match v Windlesham tomorrow - weather looks better!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 am

Match v Windlesham won 3.5 - 2.5 and won our game. We didn't know at the time but we were 1pt down with two matches to play and our penultimate match which we won 3&2, brought us level - last group out won on the 17th

Today was all about putting and I think our opponents were getting a little pissed that I was holing almost everything from reasonable distances. Driving was good, irons probably just "ok" - but drained a few, particularly a 15 footer on 16 to win the match. TBH 3&2 possibly flattered us - but one of their guys played extremely well, particularly on front nine - I think he told us after he was 4 under h/c on the front nine and they were only 1 up. Reckon my estimated score was just about on handicap but the putts were the difference.

Lovely weather though and a great day

Mav Dave
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun May 12, 2013 8:18 am

The last few weekends I have played relatively well with the highest number on the score card being sixes. One day there were two of them and unfortunately they were for a triple and a double. Last Saturday I had two sixes and again they were for double and I also had two more doubles on the card in my round of 80 there were lots of pars and a birdie on one of our more difficult holes which was nice.

Today I was a little off, not terrible but somehow keeping it in play and scoring okay on the first few holes. I hit my worst shot of the day on the fifth tee and got it far enough that I didn't have to get little grumps out. On my third shot I flushed a wedge into the green and left myself almost the furthest you could be away, one three putt later and I'm walking off with a six and a double.

That seemed to wake me up and I played the next few holes really well just missing out on a hat trick of birdies on the ninth by a foot or so. I missed good birdie chances on the 10th and 11th before dropping a shot on the 12th. Two pars later and I fell on the birdie train as I tightened up a little bit.

On the last I hit a great approach and it looked it was going to go in at one point. Stupid idiot that I am I started thinking that I had played pretty well going 37, 38 for a 75 and left a couple out there as I missed a few putts and, "oh fuck, missed another one" as it lipped out. Still 76 is a very good score round our track and was -4 handicap.

No more golf for me this weekend but 4 rounds next Saturday and Sunday are on the cards as the missus will be back in the UK by then.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat May 18, 2013 8:00 am

The Mav-esque run seems to have stalled for the moment but a good weekend coming up

This weekend is my club's 20th anniversary and there are comps Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Today was an individual Stableford and I had a very mixed day .. some very good holes but some shockers and struggled with putting today. Tomorrow is mixed 4BBB Stableford and Sunday is a team Texas scramble

Very odd day today though .. first hole I hacked my way down the hole, never touching the fairway, and ended up draining a 50 footer for a point - 2nd hold, a kick-in birdie. The day continued like that (sadly with more of the former than the latter)

Tomorrow is another day - and forecast looks OK - Sunday doesn't look too clever though!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat May 18, 2013 8:42 am

I guess your poor form was due to not breaking a leg and having to use a 2 iron as a crutch as you carried your tour bag for 16 more holes. Hope you have fun over the weekend Davie and the weather stays ok.

I'm only going for three rounds this weekend as I hope to be watching us celebrate St Totteringhams Day on Sunday morning before golf.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun May 19, 2013 7:15 am

Thanks Grumps - did I not tell you I had a double amputation only 3 weeks ago and have been striding up the fairways on my stumps to level par golf only to be beaten by those coffin dodgers who get three shots on every hole? ;-)

Seriously - lovely day today despite a pretty poor forecast - mixed 4BBB and a respectable yet unspectacular score for us. If the weather holds for us tomorrow though should be a good day to finish the weekend with a very full shotgun start Texas Scramble - two groups of 4-balls off every tee :-|

Lots of activities going on though for all the families including getting kids to caddy (I hope their insurance is up to date!)

The more grouchy members are predicting a 6 hour round but I don't think it will be that bad - and even if it's close, as long as the weather stays OK it won't really matter. It's all about having fun, right?
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon May 27, 2013 5:31 am

2nd day of another 3 day weekend for me. Yesterday was a big stableford comp and felt pretty good to be playing on handicap through 14 holes. Then something went wrong and the last 4 holes were total disaster - only scored one point on the last four to get a 0.1 increase Sad

Today was 4BBB summer knockout and playing the club champ (handicap not scratch) and his dad - getting lots of shots but not quite enough and lost on the 18th. Partner didn't have a good day (he would admit that himself) - but I played well and was happy with my own game - something like 38-39 points on my own ball estimated. Putting was the difference though - my partner sank a couple of crucial ones and I had 4-5 really clutch putts otherwise we would have lost by more

Team event, shotgun start tomorrow - hope the weather is as good as today - it was a delight to be out there today!

Last edited by Davie on Tue May 28, 2013 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue May 28, 2013 6:30 am

Final day of another 3 day weekend marathon - stableford team plus individual - 79 pts for team (best two scores on every hole) plus 32 individual so nothing earth shattering but no disgrace either. 3 blobs on front nine didn't help! And I must've used all my good putts up yesterday - didn't sink a thing today!

Week off work now and was meant to be playing social games Wednesday and Friday with Tues/Thurs as "rest days" (a.k.a. get stuff done around the house) - but this evening been offered a game at Bearwood Lakes on Thursday (the Lakes was often mentioned on the dark side as a course often in the top 10 courses in the UK that not many people knew about!)

I've played a few times before - it's NOT really top 10 material in my opinion but still too good an opportunity to miss (and it's a freebie!)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Thu May 30, 2013 2:32 am

We have just had our Captain's weekend at The Vale Resort in Glamorgan. A great time was had by all, fantastic weather, lots of liquid refreshment and some interesting golf. The Lakes Course is quite short and a bit fiddly but the National Course is an absolute belter. 6600 yards even off the yellow tees (7400 off the back), very tight driving in places with several holes having water down one side and OOB/'dead in the trees' down the other. Very fast, tricky greens and plenty of bunkers. Not great scoring on Saturday but I did manage 29 points (off 3/4 handicap so equivalent to 33) on Sunday which was enough to recoup some of the beer money.

Back home for a Bogey comp on Monday. Weather was dry and very windy but I managed to finish 1 up for a share of 4th place, a bit more cash in the bank and a 0.9 handicap cut.

All in all a profitable weekend.

On a related matter, I am Captain next year so am planning my weekend away. Does anyone have any recommendations/places to avoid? I am looking at places that have two courses, at least one of 'Championship' standard, and the hotel needs to be decent.

J

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu May 30, 2013 5:56 am

Jethro - take a look at Hawkstone Park in Shropshire. One of my favourite places for a weekend away - the accommodation and food is superb and the better of the two courses is a belter (though not sure if it is "championship" standard) - the lesser course doesn't impress some people but I found it perfectly adequate but the prime course is good enough, reasonably tough (though perhaps a little easy for "championship" standard?) - and best of all stunningly beautiful
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri May 31, 2013 7:39 am

Well that was a bit of an eye opener today!

Played Bearwood Lakes (often mentioned in golf magazines as in the top 10-20 courses in the country though it's no way that high)

Played it before and knew it to be quite long and wide open but there have been changed made since I last played there and it's turned quite brutal

For shorter hitters and higher handicappers there are some really tough holes with forced carries etc and a lot of water. My own course is relatively short (but tight) but I just couldn't handle the longer holes today and did well to break 20 points. Didn't actually play THAT badly (though course management was poor today - usually a strong point for me.

Excellent condition though and certainly a very nice course, though how it ever rates as highly in magazines, I'll never know
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:04 am

And 6 days golf out of 7 - now I'm hurting! lol

Glad to be able to play that much though! - started to feel tired after nine holes though the back nine was 6 shots better than the front!

Just a friendly matchplay with my regular playing partner - lost on the last and scored approx 32 points - but most notably what a BEAUTIFUL day to play golf! Best day of the year so far Smile
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:07 am

Looks like I'm the only one playing at the moment!

Final day of a bit of a marathon today at the end of a week off work - 7 games in 9 days

Lost on 16 today despite being 2 under handicap after 15! Messed up 16 and not so good on 17 to end up with approx 35 points - oppo "blobbed" the last and still ended with 39 points - should've been 41 or 42. I will be having words with the h/c secretary Razz
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:25 am

OK Davie I'll join in.

Swindle yesterday, managed 37 points which was good enough for 2nd place and played well on the back nine only dropping 1 shot.

Thornton Cup plate against Garon Park (Southend) today which we won 6-4. I played pretty steady winning 5&3 against a youngster who in all honestly wasn't hitting it very straight. 2nd round to look forward to now which will be played on 23rd June.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:51 am

So annoyed with myself today! Medal comp and I finished with nett 76 but the cruel part was an ELEVEN on the par 5 16th.

On Stableford reduction that went down to a 73 (CSS 71) so comfortably in buffer zone but anything like a half decent score on that hole and I'd have been in top 3.

Sympathy for one of my playing partners though - he was EIGHT under h/c after 14 holes, then hit a drive on 15 which seemed OK bu couldn't be found. After his 5 minutes he went back to hit another - which he put in approx the same play - and when he got to the ball he found his original also - and proceeded to play that thinking it was OK, picking up his second ball (the ball in play). Ended up having to NR as he didn't score on that hole but still came in 4 under h/c after stableford reduction so got a big cut with no prize to show for it!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:11 am

I guess the 'Rules of Golf' will be your pal's choice of bedtime reading next week Davie! Tell us about your game today... - Page 10 1505004552
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Well I've had a cracking week. played 9-holes last Mon, Tue & Wed and played really well (Although can't read the greens at my new club) Played my first full rounds Friday and Saturday and again was striking it well and walked off well chuffed, although still struggling with the short stick. How can a flat looking green(To me) cause my ball to swing 15 feet away from the hole ....

I went round in handicap and 2 under for the 2 rounds, on a long tough course, so was really pleased. BUT I was on the greens in regulation almost 90% of the time, and if the 3 putting wasn't on my card I would have played to around 6 both rounds
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:18 am

Washout today. Wasn't originally meant to be playing at all but last night there was an SOS message from the club saying they were a man short for a mixed match at Castle Royle. Like a fool I replied saying I was available before I checked the weather forecast!

Match was abandoned with us on the 8th tee - though by the time we had trudged back to the clubhouse the sun had come out again! It still looked as if there was plenty more rain on the way, plus we were all drenched and the greens were starting to flood - but it stayed dry the rest of the afternoon so with hindsight we could probably have finished! Shame is it was turning into a very tight match. 

Big stableford tomorrow -  hope my wet gear dries out in time!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:06 pm

The Presidents Mid Summer Cup strokeplay qualifier for us yesterday. Greens were in good condition and lovely to putt on. Rough has grown up a lot and was very penalising if you missed the fairways. Consequently the scoring wasn't that great, nett 72 won it and standard scratch was high at 75.

I played reasonably, only hitting the rough on a couple of occasions deciding instead to have a sandy day finding the bunkers 8 times! Pleased to shoot gross 81 nett 75 and not have 0.1 added to my handicap for the first time in the last 5 qualifying events.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Managed to rush down to the course after work last night with just enough time to play in the midweek stableford. Such a nice evening and what a pleasure it was to get 18 holes of golf in after a busy day in the office.

We have such a short window to be able to do that though don't we, I can't believe it is the longest day tomorrow already.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:33 am

The first person to tell me the nights are drawing in, is going to get punched

Week off work this week so played 3 times already. Tuesday was just a knockabout with some seniors so didn't keep score and tried out a few different things (most of them failed). Wednesday was a midweek medal and just missed the buffer zone by one shot (though it felt much worse than that) - back up 0.1 to take me back to 22 now Sad

Today was another causal game but played OK apart from 2 bad (consecutive) holes - Club champs at the weekend! Scratch and handicap comps combined. Obviously about 60 shots too high over 3 rounds to contend the scratch but hoping to do at least SOMETHING in the h/c comp
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:58 am

1st round of Club Champs and it was TOUGH out there! I was late starting so there were 30 cards entered already before I started and the estimated CSS at that time was 73 and no reductions (SSS is 70). By the time I'd finished it had altered slightly to CSS 73 (but the no reductions clause was removed) - so my nett 77 was in the buffer zone (just) and enough to make the nett cut by one shot. 

Lowest gross was 75 (by a scratch player and a 12 handicap!) ... so the 12 h/c is leading the nett championship by a mile (nett 63 - next best nett score was 71!) - my own game felt not that good TBH but looking at the scores coming in it maybe wasn't that bad). Was a good fight back though - the first 9 started OK but quickly deteriorated - played the back 9 pretty well to scrape in

36 holes tomorrow starting at 8am - will be a long day!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:27 am

Not very much like summer weather here also today for our Saturday morning swindle, but I played the best round of the year for me so far albeit off the yellow tees. Stood on the 16th tee 1 over par gross but finished bogey, bogey, bogey which was a bit disappointing! Still a gross 76 and 38 stableford points was good enough for 1st place and I picked up the money.

Second round of the Thornton Cup plate in the morning against The Essex at Earls Colne, so hoping for a good round again tomorrow.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:06 am

So 54 holes in two days in extremely difficult conditions

Nett scores of 77, 76 and 78 when CSS were all over par and SSS - two buffer zones and missed the third by one shot (and missed a two foot putt on the last). Must say I was quite pleased with the consistency in very tough conditions. Best gross score of the weekend was +1 (and that was by a scratch player).

Need a week to recover now!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:40 am

I don't quite believe it myself so I won't blame you if you think this is balls. I played my first round match in the Nike Matchplay tonight. I had home advantage and was receiving a shot. Par-birdie-par saw me 3 up after 3, but I then lost 4 and halved 5 with a shot. 6 could have gone either way but I ended up winning that, halving 7 and winning 8&9 to be five up at the turn.

Our tenth hole is a dogleg right to left, and is quite a tricky driving hole. I wasn't sure about my tee shot as it was a touch right and could have been in the trees. I therefore hit a provisional which, as is so often the way, went way left. Walking down the fairway I was chatting to my opponent, who was as you can tell already having a bit of a mare. I mentioned how it sometimes pays on that hole to miss way left, as the first fairway runs parallel and offers a more direct route to the tenth green. I'm not a braggart (actually, I suppose I am just by posting this story, but you get the gist), but I did illustrate my point by telling my opponent about the time I holed my second shot from the first fairway. He proceeded to hit his second shot just short of the green, and I did manage to find my first shot. It wasn't deep in the trees but was between two small oaks which meant I had to manufacture a shot. Being 5 up I decided to go for it, and tried to hit a low cut 5 iron from 170 yards. I hit it and was delighted to see it come out low, turn slightly right and run up towards the flag. I went to retrieve my provisional and then made my way up towards the green. I thought my opponent was standing closer to the green than he'd hit his second, so was a little puzzled. As I got nearer, he said 'I'll let you pick it out'. I was gobsmacked, even more so when he told me he'd got to his ball and looked at mine and thought to himself 'is that leaning against the flag?', at which point a gust of wind moved the flag stick and the ball dropped. Talk about it being your day! I ended up winning 6&5 despite following the eagle with two bogeys.

It's ever so strange, though - I can't think why but the chap didn't want to finish the round or stop for a drink.  Innocent

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Sounds like a touch of the Maverick's there SJ; were you hobbling along, dragging a gammy leg behind you at the time? Maybe he doesn't like drinking with Mexicans Innocent
Well played, congratulations on your win.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Back from the dead, so to speak. Our companies annual golf day yesterday, held at Hill Valley GC, Shropshire. Our golf day is legendary as everyone wins something and the comp is split into 3 sections so that more people have a chance of a trophy, there's the head office comp, the suppliers comp and the customerscomp. I'm pleased to say that after only being back playing for 3-weeks, I won our section with 39-points and came 3rd overall. 3rd year on the bounce for me and besides the trophy £400 worth of AG vouchers.

Plenty of iPads, plasma telly's, iPhones and loads of techy trick kit was won and we also raised £6k for charity
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:33 pm

looks like mav fever has struck its next victim Tell us about your game today... - Page 10 70282223
well done doc, glad you're recovering well!
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:57 am

Interesting morning yesterday in the swindle...6 birdies, 2 double bogeys after big hooks off the tee, 4 bogeys and a shank!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:14 am

Interesting day for me yesterday too playing a club match at Temple club near Maidenhead

These are the slightly more informal club matches - open to everyone and favoured more by the older members and slightly higher handicappers, leaving the good guys to the scratch team matches

Always a good spirit though - they are very competitive while keeping a friendly side to it

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has played Temple .. I'm rather split in my opinions about it. Firstly it's the sort of course that I feel I'd need to play 6-8 times to really get the hang of it - even the home team admitted that they thin they have a big home advantage there as it's a bit of a quirky course

Liked the layout and some very pretty or spectacular holes, but I felt the condition left a lot to be desired - tee boxes very scrappy, fairways average at best and greens quite bumpy and VERY slow. I think I'm maybe spoiled by my own club though as we are always in superb condition - I wonder if that clouds my judgement of other places now?
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:55 am

I think that was my best ever round in 4+ years membership today

Playing a men's inter-club match against Sutton Green at our place. Weather and conditions superb and for once I did them justice. Very pleased to have played like that representing the club but a part of me wishes it had been in an individual qualifier - the handicap would have come tumbling down

We won the match 4-2 and my match was also won 4&2. My partner was playing for the first time after a bit of a layoff and struggled for the 1st nine but came good on the back. My own score (had it been full handicap stableford was something like 43 or 44 points. Hit the ball well and putting was very solid apart from one FOUR putt. Pretty much every hole was putted out apart from one hole where I was conceded a longish putt (for birdie) when they were already out of the hole (I had about 3 putts for it). With that concession it was nett 8 under - maybe 7 under is more realistic though the way I was putting I quite fancied it!

Next quallie will probably be a nightmare :-\
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:05 am

Today was also a good round for me; one that I had been threatening for a little while. In the group we were playing for low net, low net partner (blind draw), nearest the pin on the 5 par threes, and a birdie bowl where if you were the only one to birdie a particular hole you were in it but if someone else also birdied that hole you were both knocked out.

I had a bit of a so so start +4 after 5, I did hit the green on the third but wasn't inside someone from the first group. The sixth was a nearest the pin hole and I was just inside 18 feet and the closest so far. I rolled in that putt to give myself a chance in the birdie bowl and then parred the rest of the front nine. I resisted adding up my score at the turn as I was playing pretty well and didn't want to distract myself.

However I still managed to mess up the tee shot on 10 putting it into the cabbage. The provisional was in good shape so after a cursory look I thought not finding it was probably better. It did mean a double bogey but I bounced back with a birdie on the 11th which is another tough hole to birdie. The 12th was another long par three and another good shot got me inside the first group. Doubled 13 after a couple of poor pitches up a steep hill. 14 was another par three and at 13 feet it was the closest so far again, I also made that putt for birdie. I missed the green on the final par 3 on 15 but so did everyone else. I also birdied 16 after a great approach from a tough spot, I parred the last two and then added it all up for a 38-37, 75.

The last group came in and it became apparent that I was looking very good. The money man started doing his sums and I took low net with 66. 7 of the 9 birdies held up as two guys birdied 18 and all of mine held up. At this point as the money was being handed out it was said if your name's not Grumps you're not getting paid. I had 3 of the 4 nearest the pins and I picked a guy that shot close to handicap to win the low partner.

I also beat a guy in a side match of straight up score so all in all a very good day for me.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:21 am

Well played Davie Tell us about your game today... - Page 10 1927768590 

Good round Grumps nice one, although when I went to school 75 less 8 was 67! Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:39 am

BlueCoverman wrote:
 Good round Grumps nice one, although when I went to school 75 less 8 was 67! Innocent

It still is, Blue, but I play off my course handicap which is 9 because my place is tougher than others. I could be off 6 or 7 at easier places.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:17 am

I play off scratch at that par 72 pitch and putt down the road...Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:12 am

BlueCoverman wrote:I play off scratch at that par 72 pitch and putt down the road...Wink

Gee-sus Blue, how many holes does that place have; and I'm not counting clown's mouths and windmills....

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next