Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+25
Mary_S
scarpa
smithersjones
Redrage
diggers
hogie
raycastleunited
Matelot golfer
oldparwin
JAS
Doc
Doon the Water
BlueCoverman
chris b
venice1
gaelgowfer
LadyPutt
Noshankingtonite
Mercurio
drive4show
LondonJonnyO
Maverick
oldshanker
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
29 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by Davie Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

As one of the more popular threads on the dark side, a place to tell us about your latest game
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by Davie Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:01 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Funnily enough Davie I was looking at that on the 'virtual tour' earlier in the week.

I dunno I might be tempted to give it a go...I mean visitors are allowed a mulligan right?   Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 3461234324

Well just to put thoughts into your head the 2nd is also driveable - maybe even with a 3 wood! Only ever seen it done once though (and he got lucky) Razz
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:11 am

Davie wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:Funnily enough Davie I was looking at that on the 'virtual tour' earlier in the week.

I dunno I might be tempted to give it a go...I mean visitors are allowed a mulligan right?   Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 3461234324

Well just to put thoughts into your head the 2nd is also driveable - maybe even with a 3 wood! Only ever seen it done once though (and he got lucky) Razz

Oooh! Challenge

Accepted.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:31 am

Guess I'll be on my own that hole then Grumps!  Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:49 am

Thanks for backing me up partner...

Actually just looked at it again and there's a pond in front of the green too; I'm too tight to risk losing a golf ball Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 3461234324 Bet the other bloke rattled a few trees or bounced off a greenkeeper's mower...

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:50 am

Looking forward to reading the match reports for this one!  Innocent 
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm

I tried to get us a TV deal with Eurosport but they were more interested in showing the live synchronized lentil-knitting Wink
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:31 am

The real golf took place at Sand Martins Golf Club rather than some scouse council estate on the Wirral.  An intrepid pair from Essex battled the M25 and just about won making it to the course with enough time to whack a couple of balls on the range, take a couple of practice putts, and apply sunscreen.  They realised they could be in trouble after overhearing on the range that one of the oppos hadn't played for four weeks and had hit too many good ones warming up.  The next one was promptly duffed and an eerie sense of very light fingers feeling for a wallet was a bit disconcerting.

In strong sunshine and a very mild breeze meant that there were some folks starting to sweat like a glass blower's arse but BlueCoverman was coolness personified.  Placing his tee shot into position A on the first and playing the kind of steady golf that a partner like me relishes.  A partner like me is not something that BlueCoverman relishes.  Having peaked at the Rivers on Tuesday there was all manner of shots appearing today from me and not all of them at the time I wanted.  Meanwhile Davie and his pal were sneaking their way into a 2 up lead through four having exchanged the opening two holes.  A mini fightback from Blue and his passenger partner brought the match all square through seven and it remained that way at the turn.

The hospitality tent or halfway house beckoned and sensing a way to disrupt rhythm, or feed a fat bar steward, Davie generously bought the bacon baps.  BlueCoverman took charge of the team for the back nine and having slogged his way to two halves stood looking pleadingly at me on the 12th.  Having been fed, I caught the little shot into the par 3 12th fatter than I am and the often used phrase "sorry Blue" could be heard.  Blue sensibly picked up prefering to keep his powder dry for another hole while I missed the putt to half the hole.  One down on the 13th a mutiny ensued and I teed off ahead of the skipper.  Best, damn tee shot I hit all day.  Let's not say too much about the next one but an up and down from the fescue by yours truly saw us sneak the hole.

All square as we moved to the par 3 14th and a chance to attack. I'm not sure what that road had done but it got what was coming to it.  More carrying from Blue was needed as my confusion over which end to hold the club continued.  Another half and Blue took back control of the team as leadership and direction was lacking.  Even a GPS would have said what hole are you supposed to be playing?  After Blue bombed another drive on the 15th I laid up and planned to get in our retaliation in first.  I of course missed the green left and my schoolboy error was only realised when I went to put my five iron away only to find the slot already filled with my five iron Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 2975105902  In a sense it was good I didn't hit the five as the seven iron was only a little short...

Another driving display from Blue and some nice play on the 16th saw him with a makeable putt but Davie mentioned the immortal words "one of these for a half" and his mate duly obliged, again.  The 17th offered us a fighting chance of sneaking ahead but some very safe tee shots left the door ajar.  Davie's mate found the heart of the green and a monumental up and down from Blue saw us holding our breath.  Bullet dodged and onto the par 5 18th all square.  Davie was getting a shot but after my Sunday best drive and another monster from Blue.  The green light went on, halfway through my swing the red light came down and a pesky bunker got in the way.  Blue, obviously tired from carrying me, went for it but a bad bounce put him OB and he said "take me home Grumps".  

Not wanting to let my captain down I bladed the bunker shot through the green and deep into fescue.  Davie found it and it then came down to a putting contest.  Not much of a contest, not even a master class, those of a nervous disposition look away now.  Davie looked to have left his winning putt an inch short but his competitive instinct kicked in, he's no Jack Nicklaus by the way.  Grumps with a few feet to ensure it stayed all even but true to form it didn't go in.  18 holes of fun and friendship came down to a missed putt and maybe some Fantasy League penalties, don't worry I don't hold a grudge Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 3461234324

The first pint didn't even touch the sides and a few drinks later we said our goodbyes having had a great deal of fun on a great course.  The journey back wasn't so bad and revenge is already being plotted....

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Great write up Grumps - and such a pleasure to finally meet up with you guys after so long. Glad you got back safely and hope Blue did too.

Shallow words perhaps but with hindsight I wish I HAD done a Jack Nicklaus- the way the match had gone, a half would have been a fitting end (and didn't expect you to emulate me and leave it short too!). It was a pity it ended that way after such a great match - seemed neither side wanted it on 18!

I hope we can do it again one day Smile
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:51 am

Excellent report GG - I was feeling your pain! Sounds like a good time was had by all.  sunny king 
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:39 am

C medal today and lost the #1 spot on countback! Still at least the 2nd place gets me a slot in the end of season tournament for 1st and 2nd places in medals. I think the new ball marker/pitch repairer was the lucky talisman ;-)

Nett -1 got me a small cut though ... and a 2 also got me a few quid in the sweep. Strange game though - only a couple of standout shots - the rest was just very steady and only one bad mistake in 18 holes. Another day where not a single putt really dropped though the mid/long range putts were all very close leaving stressless tap-ins. Even the 2 was only about 6 feet though it was a very nasty downhill right-to-lefter so pleased with that

21.7 now so still playing off 22 but the form was enough to think I may still get lower this year if the putts start dropping again

And for Blue and grumps who now know the course, a lip out when going for another 2 on 17 was a highlight for the day. Tee was further back than Thursday and I hit a bloody hybrid - one of my playing partners bust an 8 iron over the back!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:45 pm

Tapper! Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 3461234324

Well done Davie, good effort on 17. Which one did you birdie?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Cheers Grumps - birdie came on 14 - only real downside was on 10 ... 30 yards short of the green in two with a clear pitch to the flag .. and dragged it left into the bunker - then took two to get out of it! That 7 cost me dearly unfortunately Sad

And didn't hit a driver all day!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:35 pm

Oh dear. Have to say I don't remember you playing in the sand very often, or at all, on Thursday so can't really comment on your sand game. Two of the most common faults are not following through and leaving it in there or not taking any sand and thinning it miles. Just like I did on 18....

My bunker play is pretty good normally and for green side bunkers I find I get a better result by widening my stance which means I hit the sand before the ball.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:11 pm

You may remember I told you at the start of Thursday that one down side of the course is poor bunkers (some of them) - they are gradually being reworked but that one you found on 18 is possibly the worse left Sad

I'm not a GOOD bunker player but I can usually get out OK - just had a horrible lie in the one on 10 (and that's one of the better ones!)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Nah, it was just a poor shot from me, no real surprise with the day I was having. The worst bit was knowing that the provisional lie would be a fried egg. I think that one just needs a bit of watering and the sand will settle down.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:52 pm

Played both days of the weekend and had two "bad" holes close to the end of each round.

With Club Championship qualifying next weekend I decided to play off the back tees on Saturday and the two other guys I played with joined me. I was the only one not to par the first but I then hit the next five greens and missed all the birdie putts including a very makeable one on 2 and fairly good opportunities on 5 and 6. Dropped a shot on 7 after getting out of position. Drove through the green on the short par 4 8th and didn't make birdie. I was closer to making a huge putt on the 9th than the 3-4 footers on 2 and 8.

After a monster drive on 10 I got stung by a hornet on my neck as I walked off of the tee box.  Luckily we had plenty of ice in the cooler and after applying it I was okay. A flushed 6 iron gave me a very makeable putt to get back to even. This time I did make birdie. Saved par on 11 and 12 before failing to get up and down on 13. Saved par again on 14 and 15. Got to 16 and pull/hooked the tee shot miles left into a right to left wind too. Found it deep in the trees and left it in the woods twice before finally getting it out on the third attempt. Feeling a bit frazzled I think I made a schoolboy error in not lining up properly so I stuck it in the trap. Unusually poor bunker shot squeaked it out of the trap, another chip and a putt for a Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 2872799019 Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 2975105902  one of playing partners commented that it was getting a bit cold out but I ignored him and he got his comeuppance on 18. Solid par on 17 steadied the ship. Chose to hit driver down the last but never really committed to it and got very lucky. Put the approach through the green and missed a tiddler so I came back in 40. 17 holes in 69 shots and a bloody 8!

Sunday was the money game and after a ropey start I finally hit my first green in regulation on 6. Missed the putt of course before dropping a shot on 7 again. Made the birdie putt on 8 and then gave it back on 9 hitting another putt through the break and was out in 40.  

Made very hard work of a par on 10 after a pretty good tee shot too. Solid drive and great fairway wood took me through the back of the 11th and a tough up and down for birdie. A cheeky little lob rolled out very nicely and left me with a tap in. A nearest the pin on 12 and a solid two putt par was followed by a lucky escape on 13 and another birdie putt but it pulled up short. An up and down on 14 and another solid two putt par on 15 had me back on 16 at -1 for the back nine. This time a solid drive and a wedge gave me a tap in birdie and revenge was mine!  A good look at birdie on 17 but it wasn't to be. I was one good swing away from a great round but stuffed it up again. Lucky to find the tee shot and couldn't advance it into a good position. Decided to play sensibly by laying up rather than attempt a miracle shot. Stuffed the wedge onto the green up, chipped on and missed the putt. Finished with a 7, +1, for the back and a 76 all tolled.

Made out okay money wise despite slipping into a tie for low net. A nearest the pin and the three birdies helped soften the blow.  This weekend's play is not going to give me a cut but a bloody great big slash. I think by my back of a fag packet calculations I'm going to end up at 6.8 which would be my lowest ever handicap. I did get to 6.9 last year but that lasted all of two weeks before I jumped up to 7.something. Hopefully I can keep the fine play going for the qualifying and knockout round(s) of the championship.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 am

Good shooting there Grumps, well played. Just a pity that you didn't save one of those numerous birdies for the 18th at Sand Martins instead of that 7  Wink  Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 am

I'd like to think that I played the 18th in a consistent fashion.....

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Think I'm going to live up to my username today. Left work early yesterday as I was suffering from a sore throat, bit of a cold, and some sinus pain. In the early evening I took some Alka-Seltzer Cold & Flu Daytime* tabs and my symptoms seems to relieve. At bedtime I made a tactical error in taking the day version again as opposed to the nighttime version. I didn't want to take the nighttime ones because I had an early morning tee time for club championship qualifying and didn't want to feel drowsy or lethargic. The daytime tabs kept me awake most of the night before I eventually said bollox to this and got up at 3am. After pottering around waiting for the tabs to wear off I am now about to try and take a nap but my symptoms are coming back. I don't want to take more daytime tabs as that will wake me up again and I don't want to take the nighttime ones as I probably won't want to wake up in time for my tee time. Grrrr!

* Other Cold & Flu tabs available and 1GrumpyGolfer in no way endorses or disses Alka-Seltzer's version.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:50 pm

Christ Grumps that was complicated, it's given me a headache just reading it  Wink

The Bentley Cup for us on Saturday morning and I had played on Friday evening with a couple of mates so I felt the benefit of a bit of a warm up. A fairly solid round held together by an unusually good short game when approach shots did not find the green, saw me score 6 bogeys and 2 birdies for a gross 76 and 38 points. 41 points won it from a 13 handicapper but with the standard scratch remaining at 72 a nice little 0.3 cut has got me down to 5.2 and back to category 1  cheers
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Well done Blue - we had an interesting Texas Scramble on Saturday - 17 straight pars and one birdie - putts just would not drop! All but two of the pars were tap-ins so very stress free but nothing happened for us. We were a relatively high handicap group (8, 18, 22 and 27) so 7.7 shots on 1/10th combined handicap. One more birdie would have put us in 3rd place, 2 more would have won it!

Par 70, gross 69 so net 61.3 - third place was 60.4, winners were 59.7
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Played Auchterarder Open yesterday in company with scratch & 4 handicapper from Oban.

These two slow boring bar stewards I played with would have driven anyone to drink.

First tee: Late appearing on the tee. 4 handicapper decides to have a piddle at the tree next to the tee. Scratch guy is first to go, stands waiting on tee for game in front to get out of the way. The fairway clears & then he decides to go for a piddle, before hitting his drive.
Their pre-shot putting routine took forever. Look from behind, look from the front, look from behind again, step out the putt distance.

We had lost a full hole by the 11th, mentioned it to them, but did not speed up. I think they then went even slower.

OK they both scored well, but for f***'s sake, there's no need to be so slow.  Evil or Very Mad  Twisted Evil  Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 70282223  Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 398825057  Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 1660402979 

SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:04 pm

Played Whitekirk on Saturday.

This was our sweep away day trip, 24 of us, booze, golf & more booze.

Been having some hooking problems with my woods & recovery clubs, so went down to the range on Monday of last week to see if I could correct it. Warmed up, changed my stance slightly & boom, nice & straight. Went to the range again Tuesday just to check if I could remember what I had changed, & all was well.
Played a few holes on Thursday,though was feeling very groggy. the odd pull hook, when I forgot my new stance but all was looking well. Some Penicillin to try & clear up this man flu. Restless night with very little sleep.
Woke up Friday feeling just as bad, some more dosing with penicillin. Early to bed Friday but still with little sleep to aid my flu.

Woke up Saturday feeling sh*t, RedBull time.
Picked up bus at 8:30, first can (lager) opened at 8:45, followed quickly with another (cider this time).
Got to the first tee about 11. Cracked one straight down the middle, & away we went.

Came in with 40 points. So after copious amounts of alcohol, managed to win by 2 points.

The runner-up being a nice loser, just nominated me for the #icebucketchallenge.... Tell us about your game today... - Page 15 2872799019
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:08 am

Played 27 holes on Golf del Sure today behind some young ladies playing in the Spanish Open. It was pretty hot and steamy but a bit of a breeze. Started out badly and tweaked a muscle in my back on the last 9 holes but recovered to par the last two. We play Las Americas on Friday and I just hope the weather cools down a bit!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by STUART OULD Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:13 am

Hi Everyone,
I live in Spain and am familiar with many of the Costa Blanca sth courses.

Should anyone be visiting this area I will happily provide some tips on golf accommodation, travel around the area,a few flight cost saving tips and course reviews etc etc.

I have many contacts within the area to assist in finding accommodation, booking the courses
and finding the best websites for all inclusive golf holiday packages.

Cheers Stuart

STUART OULD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15