Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm Back But Miffed - Whitby GC

4 posters

Go down

I'm Back But Miffed - Whitby GC Empty I'm Back But Miffed - Whitby GC

Post by Doc Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Just had a couple of weeks over in Yorkshire and managed to get a few rounds in. Still getting used to the new swing, but its showing signs of being really good. Excluding the practice rounds I played Malton & Norton twice, playing to 10 and 12, which is excellent in soft conditions. Ampleforth once where I played to 16 and Whitby where I managed 17. So all under handicap and feeling great with some lovely ball striking and extra distance, although I'm still waiting for firmer conditions to get a better idea of how far I'm hitting each club. I have a feeling that I'm carrying further but inclement conditions make it hard to estimate just now.

One major gripe though, was with Whitby which I always enjoy playing. Its part links as 7-holes meander around the cliff tops, before turning into a parkland course, followed by the closing 2-holes back on links land. We booked over the phone and when we arrived were told that mats had to be used. Thinking he meant that we were on winter tees I didn't think anything about it, until he said he would need another £4.50 per person for the loan of the mat????? It then clicked and meant we had to use a bit of mat on every fairway!!. He said you either use the mat or lift your ball and take it over to the semi rough to play your next shot. Apparently the fairways are not opening until the end of the month. A bit of a joke really, and as we were ambling around the course it became obvious that not many players had bothered using said mats, but we did, especially as we were following a comp around, and it looked like most of them were lifting and going to the rough. Seems a bit of a joke really, has anyone else experienced this in the UK?
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

I'm Back But Miffed - Whitby GC Empty Re: I'm Back But Miffed - Whitby GC

Post by Davie Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:59 pm

That's a bit of a cheek, Doc! Were they still charging full green fees?
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Davie I just don't get it. The greens were in use, the course wasn't wet as it's links and the fairways were good although could have done with a shave. Those silly little mats were a joke and spoiled a good day. The green fees were lower as they were 'winter prices'
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:57 pm

This is common practice on the Old course at St Andrews I believe during the winter. Possibly also in the months leading up to when they have the Open as well. I've also see the lifting into the semi rule at the muni courses in Troon where Doon plays.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Mats are common place in Scotland and wetter parts of the country during winter. Typically Nov 1 - Mar 1. It's actually surprising how seldom you have to use them and often i'll just play from the semi instead.

TOC is still on them until Apr 1, as is The Castle but I think all the other St.Andrews courses are off them.

The courses that use them really benefit in the summer in terms of the condition the fairways are in.

Ridiculous you should have to pay for a mat though, never had to do that before.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down