Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Courses you wish you could go back to

+2
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
6 posters

Go down

Courses you wish you could go back to Empty Courses you wish you could go back to

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Inspired by another thread on one course to keep playing. It got me thinking about courses that I'd played, would like to play again, but I'm likely to never do that again.

The Presidio in San Francisco, CA. A former military base course now open to the public. From what I remember it was a great track with elevation changes and some great views. I remember coming off there thinking I wish I could play this again.

The Diplomat in Fort Laudedale, FL. A typical Florida style course with water and humps etc. I played it with two mini tour pros one of which went on to represent Trinidad in the world cup of golf the following week. Another course that I wanted to play again.

Tuscany in Las Vegas/Henderson, NV. This is purely because of the welcome, the treatment and condition of the course at that time. Having travelled through many countries and modes of transport on that trip, a shot hop airline misplaced my clubs. The course sorted me out a set of brand new Callaways to play, gave me a welcome bag including balls. They made me feel like all was right in the world.

Feeling all nostalgic now as playing these courses would be at least 10 years ago now; where would you like to go back given the chance?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Courses you wish you could go back to Empty Re: Courses you wish you could go back to

Post by Davie Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:35 pm

The one course I'd like to play again is the one where I learned the game as a junior though I was only a member there for a couple of years from about 11 to 13.

I packed up after that and didn't play again for 20 years or more but I can still remember pretty much every inch of the course as it was only 5 minutes walk from my house at the time and I could walk up there after school

The course was Furness GC on Walney Island, Barrow-in-Furness

The only links course I've every played regularly and I still remember the 1st hole - a par 5 that was invariably into a stiff wind off the Irish Sea. As a weedy 11 year old it took me about 5 shots to get near the green!

And got my first ever birdie on the 18th there by chipping in from short of the green
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Courses you wish you could go back to Empty Re: Courses you wish you could go back to

Post by raycastleunited Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:49 pm

Where would I like to go back to?

First off, the great courses I will probably never play again:
Loch Lomond, Kapalua.

Then the great courses I am more likely to play again, but might not ever get round to it:
Real Sevilla, El Saler, PGA Catalunya, Finca Cortesin, El Bosque, Montecastillo, Dundonald, Leven, North Berwick, Dunbar, Sunningdale, Woburn.

Then the courses I can't go back to without a time machine:
Stockley Park (once a fantastic championship course designed by RTJ, now neglected and ruined by a poor redesign)
Northwick Park pitch and putt (where I first picked up a golf club, would love to return for sentimental reasons but a golf course and driving range has been built on top of it now)

raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:09 pm

There are many I would love to play around the world, but a few I would love to go back and play, and in fact one of them I'll be doing in 3-weeks "Marbella Golf & Country Club". This place is fantastic and can highly recomend it to anyone visting the del sol area. manicured, well contoured and every hole is different and plenty of scenery. Tough holes, some elevated tees, shots over valleys, and plenty of tee selections.

San Lorenzo on the Algarve is fantastic and always in Europes top 10. I'll go back and play that because it beats most of the Oceanico Vilamoura tracks which are over priced and over played. However there's 2 of those courses which are well worth playing 'The Old Course' because its fantastic and original and of course Victoria which I found be too tough when I played it a couple of years ago. I found that the tee boxes played with my head as the yellows we were playing off were well behind the pro ladies tees. Fantastic though Courses you wish you could go back to 1927768590
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:55 am

pebble beach.

nuf said
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:38 am

I want to go back to that course I used to play when I was still studying and before I had the stress of running my own business and employing people. Before my Mum and Dad got old and ill. And when it seemed like every girl I took out couldn't wait to get her kit off...

What was the name of this course and what was it like? Christ I can't really remember but it was nothing special. Does it really matter?...
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down