Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mavs Euro Tour Weekly Returns- Golf-Chat European Tour awards (the Mavs) & Q-School update.

+6
Doc
Davie
Mary_S
venice1
1GrumpyGolfer
Maverick
10 posters

Go down

Mavs Euro Tour Weekly Returns- Golf-Chat European Tour awards (the Mavs) & Q-School update. Empty Mavs Euro Tour Weekly Returns- Golf-Chat European Tour awards (the Mavs) & Q-School update.

Post by Maverick Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:03 am

Please don’t get to bored it may take a while to read this thread today as we have to address this forum's ET Awards (self indulgently calling them the Mavs! Next year hope to open this up as a forum voted awards), next is the Q&A with friend of mine ET & CT player Matt Haines. We will finish up with a Q-School catch up.

Now that the official season is officially over the first act is to congratulate Luke Donald on a momentous year that has seen him finish it Number 1 on the PGA & European Tours, and more importantly the World Rankings.

Next to Alvaro Quiros to winning the season ending event, to give him his first multiple winning season.

Announcement from the R&A recently that they have added 1 further spot at the Open from 2012 for the Number 1 WAGR golfer, this means that Patrick Cantlay will now be playing despite not being a national amateur champion.

So now to the all important post season Golf Chat European Tour Awards – The Mavs!
(This should provide good debate as no doubt you will all disagree, but next year to open it up to a voting system)

Come back player of the yearThomas Bjorn, with 3 wins this year he takes the award ahead of Sergio Garcia

Young Player of the yearAlexander Noren, 2 wins and other close calls and with a decent showing in the US open this young man is on the way up.

Player of the YearLuke Donald, 2 ET wins 1 WGC & a US tour win allied to PGA tour money list, RTD Champion and OGWR Number 1…. Need I say more?

Disaster of the year Rory McIlroy’s capitulation at the Masters

Outstanding performanceRory McIlroy’s US Open annihilation of the course, field and records.

Shot of the year Alvaro Quiros hole in one in the final round of the Dubai Desert Classic to steady the ship after letting a lead slip

Rookie of the YearTom Lewis, for securing his ET card for the next 2 years, in just 3 starts after winning the Portugal Masters.

Break through player Olly Fisher, simply for enduring so many consecutive missed cuts then winning an event to secure his card for 2 years (anyone remember Justin Rose did the same thing and now is securing a career at the upper end of World rankings)

Lifetime Achievement AwardSeveriano Ballesteros, the main that elevated the ET and showed the world ET players can win majors sadly passed this year.

Diabolical Player of the yearNick Dougherty (or however he spells it), need I explain!

Stevie Williams Award (Awarded to the biggest tool of the year)John Daly, for living off of invites once again and then withdrawing from events as he saw fit or should I say threw his dummy out when he couldn’t get his own way. (Many have asked for this to be awarded to Mac but unfortunately it has to go to a tour player)

That concludes this years Mavs…..

Matt Haines quick fire questions;

I only had about 15mins with Matt as he is now on downtime before preparing for next year so only managed a few quick questions…

Q1.You let me and others down this year in the fantasy league how does that make you feel and how will you repay us?
A. [Matt laughs] obviously I’m devastated for you and your fantasy league friends, clearly I should have tried harder as getting you points was more important than my tour card.

Q2. You rallied at the end of the year with some fine performances such as the Dunhill Links, how are you going to use this to build next year?
A.Yeah the year didn’t start well, but I found the consistency towards the end, a little to late but some positives to know I can compete at this level.

Q3. What’s the plan for next year?
A.Nothing is set in stone as yet, I still have my exemption on Challenge Tour thanks to my wins in last years grand final & still get some ET invites so need to set my schedule but now I’m taking a break from golf for couple weeks and want to enjoy Christmas

Q4. You’ve played Walker cup, won on the CT and just played a full season on the ET, what tips would you give to others that wish to follow that path?
A. Get yourself a good coach, believe in your dreams and yourself, never get down on yourself and always remember it’s a just a game there’s always another day or tournament its not life or death.

Q5. You are one of many fine players to come out of Rochester & Cobham, how do they produce so many good youngsters?
A.They put a huge emphasis on youth development, they arrange plenty of coaching with the pro’s and county instructors that don’t make us change if not comfortable but teach us ho to maximize the potential we have with our own techniques and most of all they make the game and getting better fun

Q6. I’m lucky enough to get to play with you fairly regularly and even with Jordan (Gibb) though it’s been a while as your both away playing, would you or both of you be up for a game as a prize with Golf-Chat forum posters? (Say top 2 on fantasy league post season 2012)
A.Obviously can’t speak for Gibbo, but I’d be up for that sure we can work something into the year at the end. I’m not playing you for money though as you took mine both the last 2 times we played [I respond in my defence he was full of cold and I got lucky on my shot holes]

Unfortunately we didn’t have time for a full on chat due to him having things to do, but here’s hoping for a good year next year for Matt Haines.

Finally

Q-School Update.

Rather than a blow by blow account of who is doing what here’s a link to the leader board, and will focus on a select few:

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/qualifying/season=2011/tournamentid=2011995/leaderboard/index.html

As you see the top 3 at the moment are all English lads with Sam Hutsby leading the way with 2 rounds to go.

Special mentions to Benn Barham, after suffering from removal of a cancerous tumor and the fear of never playing again; he did well off invites this year but is well positioned this week to reclaim his place on the European Tour.

Mention to Jordan Gibb (Gibbo) a young man I’ve been fortunate to know for sometime and someone I touted on the darkside as one to watch, played the Alps tour this year for experience after a decent US Collegiate career, currently T11th and well placed going into the final 2 rounds.

Francis McGuirk another I touted, princes lad and fine golfer currently T50th doing well but needs a strong final push, fancy him to make the CT at least.

Others such as Lafeber, Benson, Dinwiddie, Tullo and more are in need of a good final 2 days after lackluster seasons they look set to miss out on ET cards this way after losing full playing rights this term.

Thanks for taking the time to read what is a long thread and something usually a lot shorter and to the point but this is post season so not much going on now except Q School and a new season to look forward to….

Cheers Mav
Nurse
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Mavs Euro Tour Weekly Returns- Golf-Chat European Tour awards (the Mavs) & Q-School update. Empty Re: Mavs Euro Tour Weekly Returns- Golf-Chat European Tour awards (the Mavs) & Q-School update.

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:13 am

So Mav. You have an avatar and a signature, must pay to be an admin Wink

How about another contender for a Steve award. Rory for use of twitter, managing to get into numerous spats and coming across like a plank at times.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Mavs Euro Tour Weekly Returns- Golf-Chat European Tour awards (the Mavs) & Q-School update. Empty Re: Mavs Euro Tour Weekly Returns- Golf-Chat European Tour awards (the Mavs) & Q-School update.

Post by Maverick Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:25 am

I wish it did pay. In all honesty Davie's to his credit did all the leg work, and being an admin here will be simply a case of ensuring running of site and no glitches as it will self police and no need for us to wade in for the sake of it,besides its for love not money.

Rory was on the shortlist and would generally get my vote as I find him as irritating as a dose of thrush his spats smack of immature little boy in a mans world imo (queue people jumping to his defence and slating me) needs to realise he's in the public eye and an industry where everyone is allowed their opinion and needs to accept it and let his golf do the talking. But in the case of looking at it from general opinion Daly's antics I think give him the edge over Coco
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:13 pm

One hell of a piece to read during dinner tonight and think the length actually could have been longer given that the excellent interview with Matt Haines was too short. Hopefully one day you guys can get together and do an in-depth talk with an even keener insight of his thoughts: good, bad and ugly. Would love to hear the training, work or routine he puts in that we also might incorporate in a simple manner to improve our short games.

As far as the awards go: the biggest problem with 'your' winners is that they make complete sense. Where is the controversy to rile the natives? How are we going to take easy pot shots at you with reason?

How's this one: Luke Donald?! Way to put your neck out for that one Mav!

Will come back later with some thoughts on the Mavs Award (can't wait to read the chafing you're going to get for that one) winners but just wanted to say good writing.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi Venice firstly, thanks for taking the time to read, and comment positively.

I know it was a long one this week, but as you say if I'd been able to pin Matt down properly would have been nearly twice as long. He has agreed post Christmas and pre-new season to sit down over lunch and talk properly and hopefully we can get at least 9holes together to discuss things at length, who can blame him though right now after such a long season for not wanting to talk golf. One things certain though he is a very frank, honest and fun individual so will look forward into getting more out of him for everyone. I can give everyone insight into this young man, but as you say more fun and better reading in the mans own words.

As for the MAVs! Totally agree a bit self indulgent of me to name them that but as its their first year and the idea is in its infancy thought I'd allow myself a little idulgence. I do look forward to the ribbing I'll get though all part of the fun.

Re: lack of controversy in the award winners, totally agree there isn't enough of it! Problem is though everytime I tried to think of a provoking one that may create debate and outrage they simply weren't there! I did consider Sergio for comeback player but the 3 wins for Bjorn couldn't be overlooked. There was also McIlroy for the Steve Award but again Dalys toy throwing actions just shouted louder (lot like his trousers) or the Diabolical POTY: Gmac and Harrington sprung to mind but the the realisation of Nick Do' and his poor 8k earnings this year would hit me like freight train!

So gladly next year will open them to voters(wonder if there's a way to create my own phone vote scandal and make wome dosh!) Then the controversy should begin.

But Cheers for the positive comments Venice and damn good to see you over here
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks Mav - that was a great read.

Very interesting interview with Matt - I will keep any eye out for him next season. In defence of Nick Dougherty, I think he was hit really hard by the death of his mother. Always seems a decent chap, so hope that next year we might be able to give him an award in a different category!

Agree with the choice of JD. I actually quite like Rory's Twitter spats - at least it shows he wasn't being controlled by a publicity advisor!
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Excellent Mav - didn't even find it too long!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Great piece mate, and couldn't really fault your choices for the awards. Who's going to do the fantasy league this coming year, or will Ned be posting home and away?
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:11 pm

In relation to the ET... Is the PGA Tour now the satellite tour for up and coming players until they secure a card on the show tour?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Doc:

Think it highly likely we will need to run our own fantasy league here as Ned has unfortunately been openly critical in the aftermath of many of our posters here and highly supportive of the darkside, so looks likely he'll not be coming over which is a shame as its a great league he runs.

I'm happy to look through the options and set up a league here, could even dedicate a portion of the site to it, will see what the best scroing method is then come up with a Q-School series for Jan/Feb woth proper kick off in March if all think that's fair! And who knows top spot gets to play with a tour player!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Good call Mav
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Good read Mav - well done
Del_Boy
Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:31 am

Agree with all your "awards" Mav - can't think of any other more deserving recipients. Keep up the good work - they are always a good read. santa
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:15 am

Hi Mav,

Fantasy Q-School? Will we retain Elite and Choppers divisions? Know it's a bit more work but would love to return to the weekly updates of winners and rankings initially established by Goldwolf. Remarkable 3 or 4 year effort by him. Nice to see GW resurfacing as I read a couple of recent posts by him on the darkside. Perhaps a committee of 2 or 3 to manage the fantasy league is an answer to alleviate the constant attention it requires. Is it possible to start a separate thread now to absorb and discuss the details.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:32 am

Venice - not sure if the Fantasy League will happen here. It's being run by Ned who has not "moved over" and I think he was having problems doing it this year towards the end. Unless someone is prepared to run with it, I think it might die a death which is a pity because GW did a sterling job. I've been trying to entice him over here but I'm not allowed to PM on the darkside so can't contact him privately. I have an email address for him but I'm not sure if it still works (it was from the old 606 days). If you can PM him, without getting caught, see what you can do!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:20 am

LP

Fantasy league will happen here, as I said previously though Ned will likely not come over as he has pledged his alliance over the road so to speak.

Venice am looking at some ideas I'll get a thread running later tonight and I think we can have weekly updates on the Road to Victory and get an OOM going. Q-School can filter to 2 levels not sure we'll use terms elite and choppers though as feel that'd be stealing GW/Neds work, make it slightly different here with names to be confirmed.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:30 am

Certainly LP. First have to check which 'cold war' garb I have in the closet and check in with 'Q' for any updated communication gadgets to put to the test.

Mav,
I do think there are enough of us here to manage a decent fantasy league without relying too heavily on the current chief cook and bottle washers. I can definitely do the tallying and put in hours of support if but for logistical and practical purposes, the league needs to be managed and conducted from your side of the pond. Will respond to the thread when it's up.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 am

Venice I'd like to award you a Like a Star @ heaven

Any help with the fantasy league for this place will be great. I'll get the thread up later today once all the little mavs are rounded up and put to bed.

I'm sure between us we can work and run a good league. Logistics in this day of t'internet are no issue as we all have access to the same resources
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:04 am

Good read Mavs

Can't really disagree with any of your choices; pity we can't find some award for Darren Clarke's fantastic achievement in winning the Open though........

Perhaps 'best celebration of the year'?

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 am

On the subject of fantasy leagues, I know how difficult and time consuming they can be. In the past I've run competitions for F1, football and golf though the golf ones were only for Majors and the football ones were straight predictions comps rather than fantasy leagues.

I'll offer help if needed though I've never run one like the current golf one. Would a Yahoo fantasy league not do the job with minimal effort from organisers?
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down