Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mavs Euro Tour Weekly - The Final Chapter - Qatar Masters

+7
Davie
LadyPutt
BlueCoverman
Doc
gaelgowfer
1GrumpyGolfer
Maverick
11 posters

Go down

Mavs Euro Tour Weekly - The Final Chapter - Qatar Masters Empty Mavs Euro Tour Weekly - The Final Chapter - Qatar Masters

Post by Maverick Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:44 am

So the time has come for me to wrap it all up. Next Friday I fly out to Fancourt for a golfing break, then its full steam ahead with moving to America, 2 short days after I arrive back from South Africa Mrs Mav and I are off to California to look at homes and schools etc. Visas are no issue thanks to my business dealing nearly exclusively with American clients.

What does this all mean, well it means the end of the European Tour Weekly so maybe I should try to sign out with a bang and try not to fizzle out with a whimper.

Lets look at last week

The ET’s very own Rockstar taming the Tiger and his challengers. Robert Rock admitted to being in awe at playing with El Tigre and hoped he didn’t show himself up, well Robert take a bow son you outplayed and out thought tiger when it came to course management to walk away with you biggest cheque, a top 60 world ranking and a shot at making the WGC’s and majors. Truly a Rockstar idol for club pro’s the world over.

Lots of ifs and buts about Coco Mcilroy and that 2 shot penalty that supposedly cost him the title, IMO the only ones using that as an excuse are bitter clownboy didn’t do better and only detracting from the fact that Rock played well from opening round 69 on Thursday right through to win come Sunday.

So to this week:

Commercial Bank Qatar Masters presented by Dolphin Energy:

Feels like this ones competing with the Waste management Phoenix Open for event with the longest ridiculously sounding named tournament.

-Not really a great deal to say about a still relatively new event, Bjorn looking to defend the title that started his stellar year and would be his first ever successful title defence.

- Hunter Mahan chooses to play this year’s event supposedly choosing to do so based on Qatar having more OGWR points to offer than the WMPO, should’ve gone to spec savers though as he’d have noticed there are in fact more points for the Phoenix…..

- Some big international names to look for though, KJ Choi quite fancies this week saying it’s similar conditions to he’s used to back in his adoptive home of Texas.

-Jason Day the big time aussie who seems to prefer the major stage (2runners up places in majors alone last year) says pretty much the same thing and has stated the key here is avoiding the rough as if you go in there “your dead” slight over exaggeration maybe can’t see “a death in the rough” being a reality but maybe a good name for the next Agatha Christie whodunit novel

-The big pairing for the first couple rounds see’s Mahan, G Prat and Brandon “Amazing” Grace paired together, a rematch of that infamous Ryder Cup match with the added touch of the ET’s currently hottest player to pep it up a bit.

Ones to watch this week

1. I guess the numero uno would have to be Alvaro Quiros who seems to win in the desert all too often including twice last year alone.

2. Already mentioned Jason Day, great young player who really needs to start backing up his potential with a few wins

3. G Prat seems to be coming into form finally since replacing his driver with the new Cleveland offering that on looks at least resembles the old persimmon type drivers.

4. I guess Mahan would be a good bet having won in similar conditions out in Phoenix a couple years back but then Yankees don’t travel well do they…..

5. Lastly is a pair of youngsters to watch both former amateur world no1’s Peter Uihlein and Matteo Manassero are paired together could be interesting watching.

I suppose you would also say Lee Westwood’s a good bet but he has been suffering with a neck injury and he always seems to start the season slowly; but if he can find the form he closed out 2011 with he could be in for a huge year.

So that brings us onto the Challenge Tour as there is no real other big ET news this week.

German Max Kieffer claimed his first Challenge Tour title after a tense play-off against home player Rahil Gangjee to take the Gujarat Kensville Challenge, the first event of the season.

There’s nothing else of note to add due to a gap of just over a month now to the next Challenge Tour event which is the Pacific Rubiales Colombia Classic hardly an ET destination unless Bogota has been moved to somewhere off the coast of Spain… Nope didn’t think so.

The Final sign off

Hopefully someone will take up the mantle after I’m gone as providing insights from insiders on the ET and CT will prove harder for me as I’ll no longer be in personal touch with the friends that play the tours it’ll go from playing with the big boys to simply exchanging the odd email.

I just want to thank you all for taking the time to read my weekly ramblings and commenting in a non harsh way at my piss poor squaddie grammar (where’s hibbz when you need someone to insult you for poor English language skills). I hope they’ve provided some insight into some of the guys that play and what goes on behind the scenes. It’s been a delight to compile them, well sometimes a ball ache but gotta take one for the team and enjoy the chat.

I will stay on for the fantasy league and see how my mid-table mediocrity comes along but I’ll be infrequent and almost invisible on here but hopefully once the Mav Clan are settled stateside hopefully in San Fran and not LA where the Mrs wants us to go, I’ll be able to return with Vigor the way our friends 1GG and Venice over the pond do now.

The poignant moment
It’s been emotional………………

Cheers all see ya real soon
Mav Nurse
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Mavs Euro Tour Weekly - The Final Chapter - Qatar Masters Empty Re: Mavs Euro Tour Weekly - The Final Chapter - Qatar Masters

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 am

Maverick wrote:

The poignant moment
It’s been emotional.............

I'm picturing you now as a Vinnie Jones lookalike, Mav. Thanks for the columns, they're always interesting reading. Maybe you can make a cameo column appearance every now and then.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Mavs Euro Tour Weekly - The Final Chapter - Qatar Masters Empty Re: Mavs Euro Tour Weekly - The Final Chapter - Qatar Masters

Post by gaelgowfer Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks for giving the euro tour a column destination on this site Mav. Enjoy Fancourt and, hope it all works out for you and your family in California. Speaking of which, I hear that Mickelson's house is up for sale.

Just one final thing: watch yer back in San Fran! Shocked ilu Laughing

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:46 pm

Grumps was hoping someone would pick up on that line by a fellow Brit now plying his trade abroad.. I feel there will be Cameo's indeed to keep my hand in but alas not to the level they are now.

Gael, thanks for the kind words. May have to see if Big Phil will take a down payment on the house of an arm or a leg maybe
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:01 pm

So John "I throw my toys out of my pram" Daly has seen a round through and proved he is able to still play, lets see how the week pans out for long John...

KJ Choi proving his worth after his comments about being used to the conditions like this in Texas, would anyone not like to see the Players the champion a win here or anywhere for that matter.

Paul Lawrie proving he's got game in the wind as always, he really does excel in the wind
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:29 pm

The only thing I like about big John, is his birds teets. Yes a munter, but looks like a real dirty girl Wink
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:30 am

Opening 79 for defending champ Thomas Bjorn and a 78 for 2010 winner Robert Karlsson...those two have got some work to do tomorrow if they want to be around for the weekend
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:45 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Opening 79 for defending champ Thomas Bjorn and a 78 for 2010 winner Robert Karlsson...those two have got some work to do tomorrow if they want to be around for the weekend

And I picked them both Shocked
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:55 am

You haven't quite got the hang of this Fantasy League business have you LP!... Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:07 am

BlueCoverman wrote:You haven't quite got the hang of this Fantasy League business have you LP!... Innocent

Judging by her Avatar i'd say the Fantasy bits not the problem. Just the league part!"
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:41 am

Maverick wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:You haven't quite got the hang of this Fantasy League business have you LP!... Innocent

Judging by her Avatar i'd say the Fantasy bits not the problem. Just the league part!"

lol!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Play called off before sky coverage even started.

Westwood and Bjorn not happy about it and made their feelings known to chief official Andy "nanny" McPhee. But gusts are making the ball move on the green and camera towers not operable. So see where this takes us but quite likely a 54hole tournament is on the cards.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:30 pm

It does look pretty brutal out there. I'm not normally a fan of play suspensions unless the conditions are dangerous, but I think looking at the pictures they've probably made the right call
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Completely agree Davie it looks horrendous out there makes you realise how good these guys really are to hit scores like Gonzo did yesterday.

Like howard clarkes description of possible winners for this week especially how he mentioned McDowells "squat" frame being ideal to maintain balance today and in the wind
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Play abandoned for the day as expected

Seems like Westwood is pretty miffed about the whole thing though - he's been tweeting away all morning and was seen arguing with "Nanny" McPhee as they were brought off.

His tweets have included references to the trick shot guy who was keeping them entertained this morning saying he had no trouble keeping a ball on a 4 foot tee but the balls wouldn't stay on the greens?

Now he's bitching about the 8:45 (local) start tomorrow saying that is jeopardising getting round two completed. He may have a point...
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 pm

I see my Nanny McPhee comment is beginning to stick, more than happy with that.

I can see Westwoods point, yes it was blowing a Hooley out there but if the players are happy to play then the tour should listen surely.

8:45 seems a very strange time to look at for early starters i'd be surprised if they can make a 72 hole finish out of this event now unless they are looking at a monday finish which I think would annoy the big guns that will want to get to Dubai and rest before next weeks Desert Swing grand finale
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:46 pm

They've already stated it will be 54 holes, Mav
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:09 am

Davie wrote:They've already stated it will be 54 holes, Mav

Wasn't aware of that not been watching since first thing can't say I'm surprised
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:22 am

Poor old Venice's fantasy league schedules will be thrown into chaos! Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:32 am

BlueCoverman wrote:

Poor old Venice's fantasy league schedules will be thrown into chaos! Innocent

AhHa! Twisted Evil That's one of the designed lynchpins in the creation of the Round 3 Top 10 points category.
It serves as a multiple service device:

1. More points opportunity overall
2. The 3rd round will almost always be the final round when the number of holes required to complete a tournament have been reduced. Therefore it's importance is elevated to a greater degree.
3. There will a guaranteed blockbuster point total available with the 'moving day' points (Round 3) combined with the position finish points (Round 4) for the final day. The action will be similar to the Mongolian siege of Baghdad in 1258. (The methods employed were very creative.)
4. The fact that the new category is validated in its very first tournament action by 'mysterious causes' and Westwood's rants against the wind is proof in the pudding of our league's inherent flexibility.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:37 am

Venice how does Mahans withdrawal affect those that have picked him. MAhan for those unaware has pulled out showing himself as lilly livered pansy boy that can't play in the wind as he's not man enough.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:04 am

Maverick wrote:Venice how does Mahans withdrawal affect those that have picked him. MAhan for those unaware has pulled out showing himself as lilly livered pansy boy that can't play in the wind as he's not man enough.

Unfortunately, Hunter the "lilly livered pansy boy" gave those who picked him a lovely little posy or more aptly: a nosegay. From wiki: A nosegay, tussie-mussie, or posy/posey/posie is a small flower bouquet, typically given as a gift.

From our fantasy league rules:
"Player Withdrawals: If you pick a player who withdraws during a tournament, that player will be treated as nil scoring."

Bah Humbug and every other cursed thing in the known universe! Now we have another clue as to why most of the American pro's don't play outside of their playground.
(Please insert ridiculous excuses):
Excuse #1: It's too windy
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:39 am

Excuse #2: thanks to Bubba for this one. "on my down time all I get to do is drive around that big gyratory (roundabout) and see that tower thing"
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:42 am

Excuse #3: (thanks to JD) "I seem to have hit all of my golf balls into the lake"
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:50 am

Excuse 4: I hear Rickie Fowlers growing a moustache I need head back West to grow my face fuzz or the golf boys look will be out the window!

Excuse 5: I tee'd off at 16 and couldn't hear the fans in the bleechers ' oh wait this isn't pheonix! Taxi!!!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:19 am

Excuses 6, 7 and 8: Well I git my money in dollars from the tour and over there they give away something called the euros and I can't spend that money here. I couldn't give it away... and they made it fake because the banks now say these euros are worth more than a good ol' U.S. dollar and that just ain't right. Ain't right. And what about the Pound? How in da hell is a pound weigh more than some good ol' U.S. cold hard cash? I'm not going. I'm playing right here.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:37 pm

So europeantour.com must be empoying bbc sports reporters because there breaking story of Mahan withdrawing and returning to the states last night were clearly wrong either that or the guy I'm watching right now playing with GPrat is Mahans twin brother
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:43 pm

It seems there was some misinterpretation of his quote .. he said something like "I'm off straight back to the US" - which was taken to mean he was quitting when apparaently he meant he wasn't going onto Dubai next week
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:32 pm

In that case Davie they definitely have made the mistake of employing a beeb sports reported.

How different the conditions look today in Qatar. Still a breeze but looks more like just a playable day compared to yesterday, still think the likes of Westwood et al will be miffed as its meant to be dying right down for the afternoon starters.

Also how slow is Jason Day! Good young player but he takes an age over every shot.

Anyone noticed the new TM hats being sported this week with the ghastly love heart on them!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:39 pm

14 shot improvement by Bjorn today on his first round 79 by carding low round of the day at 65.

Still find myself rooting for JD if only for him to get a tour card an not then play on invites only
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:35 pm

Great to see Paul Lawrie playing so well.
Adam Hunter's untimley death seems to have inspired him.
Do you think he is thinking of a Ryder Cup spot?
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:13 am

I dunno Doon...I think he is probably more likely thinking 'If I hadn't dropped my ball on that bloody marker I would be 2 ahead!' Mavs Euro Tour Weekly - The Final Chapter - Qatar Masters 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:39 am

Oh how we laughed when Poulter did it....
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:26 am

Great win.
I think that gets him into the Masters now.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 am

Under what criterion does it get him in the Masters?
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:49 am

Puts him in the worlds top 50, has to stay there for a while though to get to the Masters. His form suggests that will happen though.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:12 am

Amazed that Jason Day wasn't sure if it was one club length or two when taking a penalty drop...he ought to play in my fourball on a Saturday morning, he would have found out within the first ten minutes! Rolling Eyes
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:39 am

Paul Lawrie always had a silky swing but, although I only got back in time to watch him play the final 6 holes (having spent the morning hacking around Nairn with only a frozen tush to show for it), it fair cheered me up to watch him swing the club over those closing holes. At one of those holes he required driver. Should he ever doubt himself (probably by next week's tournament! Rolling Eyes ) then he should play the video-tape of that swing. Power and timing perfectly synchronized.

He's a much-maligned character but he does interview well and this was no exception. Glad that Tim Barter didn't mention Adam Hunter until the end though.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:09 am

Great victory by a deserving winner and genuinely nice fella.

One thing about Lawrie is he's always had and still does have a fantastically smooth golf swing. His technique is superb and really could be used as a model for all up coming players. The keys is the constant tempo throughout the bag never hurried and completes the swing every time. Possibly the biggest factor that in when the wind blows his name always appears on the first page of leaderboards.

Secured his WGC matchplay spot, be nice to see him consolidate next week and see him at his first masters since 2004. Possibly one last hurrah at Medinah perhaps? Be nice to see him in there with the new young guns.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:29 am

That was a great victory Mav. Lawrie put the foot down for the last nine holes without blinking. Was surprised when the commentators mentioned that he had never finished in the Top 10 for three consecutive tournaments in his entire career. Will he make it number four in a row in Dubai? Can't imagine him taking the week off.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:36 am

If I heard the commentators correctly they said it was first time he has gone 3 straight in same season and if you include the RTD finale last year it was now 4 in a row in total.

With his consistent long game if he keeps his short game flowing can see no reason why he can't make the RC and finish near top of the RTD this year.

Haven't looked at the fields yet but I would assume all those inclusiding lawrie that have taken part in the last 2 desert swing events would play the DDC next week as a conclusion of this part of season, then WGC and week off would be what I would think he'd do. Help secire OGWR points for masters invite
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:50 am

Thanks for the correction. That's a nice string he has going. Thought Sergio went into one of his roller-coaster finishes. If he were a chess player, he'd be considered one with endgame deficiencies.

Thought Daly hung in there like a champ which hasn't been his strong point. Jason Day proved himself again but needs to speed it up. Looks like an @ss when he throws poor shots at the green after studying for minutes from 100 yards out.

The Hansen (Hanson) 'triplets' in the top 12 has a good feel to it. Will Kaymer be trying to pull a fast one very soon by staying under the radar. And Thomas Bjorn finishing T25 after opening with a 79 shows there's energy remaining in his batteries.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:12 pm

I can't recall every seeing a leader play such a controlled and composed final round. His playing partners never threatened but Jason Day and Segio did and Lawrie didn't seem to even blink.

I hope he can continue the great form into the sping and summer and make a challange for the Ryder Cup. Too early to fancy his chances as far too many big money events still to come.

I guess we now know why his nichname on tour in "Chippie" after those chip-ins at 9 and 17.

Must have been a nice call home to his two boys "I told you your old man could play this game."

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down