Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summer Holiday

5 posters

Go down

Summer Holiday Empty Summer Holiday

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:40 pm

I am sure you will all be very relieved to hear that you will not have to put up with my ramblings and rantings for around the next couple of weeks after the weekend. Myself, Mrs Blue and the two teenage kids are off on family holiday to a Greek Island called Santorini on Sunday for a ten day break in the sun. Having not been there before I don't know anything about Santorini, apart from that it is going to be bloody hot and the film Mamma Mia was partly shot there. Anyone been there and care to enlighten me?

Anyway looking forward to it, our first family holiday for two years as we didn't manage to get away last year as Mum was suffering with ill-health. Our 17 year old son has already informed us that this will be his last holiday with his family as next year he will be 18 and will be going to Magaluf with his friends. Oh dear!...has anyone seen the programme Sun, Sea and Suspicious Parents?...that could well be me and Mrs Blue making an appearance next summer! Summer Holiday 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Summer Holiday Empty Re: Summer Holiday

Post by Mary_S Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:00 am

Blue, sounds fabulous - unfortunately my only experience of Santorini is also via Mamma Mia, so my only tip is to pack plenty of sunscreen. Smile 

Hopefully The U's will bag a few more points while you're away.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:25 am

Blue, I hope you, Mrs Blue, and mini-Blues have a great time on holiday.

I don't know much about Santorini only that a former employee of Mrs Grumps loved the place so much that he changed his surname to Santorini. Then a few years later ran away to the island abandoning his life in the UK.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:25 am

Greece?

Don't mention the euro!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Good point LJ, although Mrs Blue is planning on making a substantial contribution to the improvement of Greece's economy whilst we are there...Rolling Eyes
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Never been but always wanted to. Santorini is actually an extinct volcano so there is very little flat land - no room for a golf course (which will probably please Mrs Blue!).
Enjoy and take plenty of sunscreen (and Euros if my recent visit to Italy is anything to go by affraid)
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks all, yes it will be a break from golf for a couple of weeks. Mrs Blue is actually a golfer herself as well, although she doesn't get the chance to play as much as she would like she manages to hang on to a respectable 20 handicap.

We have gone for an all-inclusive resort, probably more expensive to start with but it does mean that my snoozing on the sunbed won't be continually interrupted by cries of "Dad...can I have another 20 Euros please?"  sunny
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Talking of that I love the Susan Heller quote:-

"When preparing to travel, lay out all of your clothes and all of your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money."

So true! Summer Holiday 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:12 pm

Since you're in Greece for a fortnight I think you are also entitled to a tax rebate. They don't bother to pay their income tax over there so as a visitor I believe you are entitled to the same treatment at home.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks LJ, I'll mention it to the accountants at our next meeting Smile
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Thanks all, yes it will be a break from golf for a couple of weeks. Mrs Blue is actually a golfer herself as well, although she doesn't get the chance to play as much as she would like she manages to hang on to a respectable 20 handicap.

We have gone for an all-inclusive resort, probably more expensive to start with but it does mean that my snoozing on the sunbed won't be continually interrupted by cries of "Dad...can I have another 20 Euros please?"  sunny
We almost always go AI now - as long as you like a drink and enjoy food, then it is well worth it in the long run. In March when we were in Tenerife, we worked out lunch alone one day would have been around £60 for food and drink if we'd had to pay for it. Needless to say, we always need a slightly larger size in clothes or at least elasticated waists for when we travel home - and then we diet! We were horrified in Italy (not an AI holiday) at the cost of things like 7 Euros for a pint of lager Evil or Very Mad
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:34 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:Thanks all, yes it will be a break from golf for a couple of weeks. Mrs Blue is actually a golfer herself as well, although she doesn't get the chance to play as much as she would like she manages to hang on to a respectable 20 handicap.

We almost always go AI now - as long as you like a drink and enjoy food, then it is well worth it in the long run. In March when we were in Tenerife, we worked out lunch alone one day would have been around £60 for food and drink if we'd had to pay for it. Needless to say, we always need a slightly larger size in clothes or at least elasticated waists for when we travel home - and then we diet! We were horrified in Italy (not an AI holiday) at the cost of things like 7 Euros for a pint of lager Evil or Very Mad
Yeah it's expensive to drink in Italy... My recommendation however is local wine. Much better value.

Oh. and claim it all back on expenses. That works well.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:01 am

Unfortunately claiming it back on expenses is a luxury that not all of us are able to enjoy LJ! Summer Holiday 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:26 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Unfortunately claiming it back on expenses is a luxury that not all of us are able to enjoy LJ! Summer Holiday 3461234324
You need to get voted into office at a local council then.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:29 am

Hmm...think I'd rather pay my own expenses thanks! Summer Holiday 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:55 am

Right that's it...game of golf this morning last one for a couple of weeks, case packed this afternoon (with plenty of sunscreen as recommended!) all ready for a 5am leave for a 8.15am flight from Gatwick tomorrow. See you later Wave
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down