Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the forum dying?

+14
venice1
faldono1fan
raycastleunited
ScottieD18
LondonJonnyO
drive4show
JAS
1GrumpyGolfer
LadyPutt
MustPuttBetter
diggers
Doc
Davie
super_realist
18 posters

Go down

Is the forum dying? Empty Is the forum dying?

Post by super_realist Tue May 01, 2012 12:02 am

Very quiet here both on here and the other site. Is it because people can't be bothered anymore or is there nothing worth talking about?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Is the forum dying? Empty Re: Is the forum dying?

Post by Davie Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 am

I think it's just that there isn't a lot going on at the moment Super

On personal levels, many of us are suffering from this bloody drought and can't get out on the course so less to talk about with our own games, and at the professional level there hasn't been a lot to talk about either

Last weekend was VERY poor at the pro level with that awful field in Texas and pretty uninspiring ones in the far east. I didn't even bother starting threads about them!

This weekend just past, things improved slightly but still not a whole lot to talk about - I thought Ballantines and the Zurich would provoke a little more discussion but to be honest there wasn't a whole lot to talk about except perhaps Duffner winning and Luke getting back to #1 (which surprisingly no one has mentioned yet)

I know how you feel about Tiger but it's probably true to say that he's been very quiet recently also and love him or loathe him there is often things to be said about Eldrick when he's in the news. Likewise, Coco has been quiet for a couple of weeks also

Maybe Quail Hollow this week will see things pick up before the Players the following week - there are also improvements in the European tour attendance lists in the next few weeks.

To be honest, I don't fret too much about lack of posts - I'd much rather have a forum with high signal-to-noise ratio than a whole load of posts saying nothing - sure we may lose a couple of people (when we really can't afford to lose many) if they see the colume of posts drop off but I still think that when something DOES happen we get the best balance of banter and informed opinion on here

I did take a peek at the darkside over the weekend and saw that was very quiet too so I don't think it's just us.

I know Venice has been on spring break and so there hasn't been the fantasy league stuff (which I don't think you play in but which always generates a decent amount of chat) but that is due to return soon and hopefully when people come for that, they'll stick around and contribute in other ways

Any other ideas for things to talk about?
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue May 01, 2012 12:44 am

We only had around 7 new threads on the golf board last week, and another few on football and off-tpoic. Most of which I started by the way, so it's not good at the moment Shart Fans
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue May 01, 2012 12:56 am

Must admit Id prefer a truce to be called and for the two to become one again, but I guess that is never going to happen. There really is no interference from any mod or admins over there now. I know there was a bit of banter about them trying to start threads but really they just get ignored and everything carries on without any aggro. Same as on here really, apart from on here you get to swear a bit more.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue May 01, 2012 1:12 am

I have noticed it being very quiet on here recently.
So much so that most of the threads of posted on have been football ones! Can't remember the last time i said anything about golf?!

I don't think there is much going on in the golf world at the mo but i'm not sure that's the whole reason. I wonder if we need to have a brainstorm on attracting new people and/or proactive ways of encouraging posting?

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 am

Why dont we approach the BBC and see if they like the idea of setting up an online sports forum ?

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue May 01, 2012 1:29 am

I tend to dip in and out and usually during the week when I can get online at work. At weekends, I have other things to do and often the laptop doesn't even get switched on! I'd tend to agree that there's not been much to chat about recently in the golf world and the weather's certainly not helped. Things might pick up a bit when Venice posts his new Fantasy League stuff.

I'd prefer not to have anything to do with the "dark side" as Adam and his cronies are still in charge. Is the forum dying? 1067764964
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue May 01, 2012 1:38 am

I think both forums have gone quiet and it's for a variety of reasons.

As Davie said pro golf has been uninspiring recently, Masters excepted. Tournaments have taken place in far flung places meaning crap viewing times along with top players having taken a break after the Masters and the associated build up. Even Kwini's threads have shown a big drop in the number of posts.

Weather changing for the better, before the drought, meaning people getting on with other things and not necessarily playing golf to talk about it. Now the drought is in full effect there is no golf to talk about. Plus there's been no fantasy league for a while due to Venice's work interfering with his posting schedule.

There are generally dead posting periods throughout the day anyway but maybe these are becoming more pronounced as the number of posts have dropped. It may get worse once the football season finishes.

Also, a number of the more regular posters have taken a back seat; Mav and D4S come to mind. Gael also posted some interesting stuff at times. I'm all for keeping this going and hope that the forum continues to exist. Cross Fingers

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue May 01, 2012 1:47 am

Interesting that the stats say there are currently 5 registered users online (me, Grumps, Diggers, Davie & S-R) but there are 7 "guests". What can we do to interest them in registering?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue May 01, 2012 1:51 am

More likely it's someone from the dark side who is having a nosey at the fact we are quiet. I'd take odds that the Hobonator and that geordie chap are amongst the 7
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue May 01, 2012 2:07 am

I think you are being a bit paranoid Davie, why would they care? They have 650 users online today, most of them are guests though so I guess you have that with whatever forum you go on.
IMO...for what little its worth......they will get good footfall because of the wide range of sports with good memberships. People like viewing and posting on various boards. It keeps the membership up as users have more than one option to kill some time.
Its nice on here, a good place to have a chat with a few people, but if 5 or 6 posters drop off this board who post regularly, for whatever reason, then thats pretty much it really. Hopefully wont happen bit its a bit of a tightrope really. But not really sure what you can do about it.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue May 01, 2012 2:13 am

diggers wrote:I think you are being a bit paranoid Davie, why would they care?

You've obviously never seen firsthand how they operate, Digs Wink
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue May 01, 2012 2:23 am

No thats a fair point. I just dont really see what they would have to gain from it, but maybe that wouldnt stop them anyway.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue May 01, 2012 2:26 am

Remember Digs - I used to be part of the "inner circle" over there. They wouldn't necessarily have to "gain from it" - just would give them a smug feeling to be circling like vultures while we argue over whether we are busy enough or not
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue May 01, 2012 2:29 am

Their golf section is equally quiet, so I think they probably have the same concerns. Perhaps a Keizo/Simba/Max like poster would spice things up (even though I hated them)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue May 01, 2012 2:36 am

I've invited Simba a couple of times via twitter - maybe when Tiger hits the scene again he'll make an appearance
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 am

Fair enough Davie, bit sad really, they should be happy that they have created what is a fairly thriving online community.
I still hanker back for the good old BBC days personally, sure it had its faults but you could guarantee a lot of people passing through with a lot of points of views being aired.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue May 01, 2012 2:50 am

Absolutely Digs - the old BBC had it's faults but it certainly attracted MANY people.

The biggest problem with the BBC site was that they were so paranoid about being sued that they emplyed a team of draconian moderators who (as often happens with online forums) overstepped their mandate.

V2 was the perfect opportunity to redress that aspect but sadly they went the same way
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue May 01, 2012 2:58 am

I suppose a quiet forum is better than all the "Woods is back" claptrap we get every now and again.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue May 01, 2012 6:34 am

Aye, I've noticed it's gone really quiet since the Masters...did the same thing happen last year? Maybe it's because we're all getting out on the golf course a bit more as the season has started.....Having said that the weather has completely contradicted that last statement!!
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue May 01, 2012 6:39 am

Yeah we need to liven things up a bit. Lapdancers for the guys and LJ in his lime green mankini for the girls!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue May 01, 2012 6:46 am

I don't wear a mankini! I just paint a stripe down the middle and let it all hang out.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:I don't wear a mankini! I just paint a stripe down the middle and let it all hang out.
Jesus - if the forum really is dying, that surely is the final straw!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue May 01, 2012 7:31 am

easy way to check if it's dying. Stab in one in the heart. If it jumps and screams then it was still alive. Works everytime you need to check who's faking
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Tue May 01, 2012 10:33 pm

I think your right. I've been thinking the same for several weeks. In fact topday is the first time for a couple of weeks I've checked-in.

Mainly the same population with few new poeple joining and we all end up applying our same views and opinions to the latest thread.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed May 02, 2012 12:36 am

Don't think it's dying, just going through a fallow period.

To be fair, this forum was always going to be a bit of a closed shop. 606 carried the weight of the BBC, and v2 had the diversity of the multiple boards to continually bring in varied posters. This place is a cosy group of chums and a selection of less frequent posters (like me!) who drop in during their lunch break. Is that a bad thing?

I get the impression that you guys would prefer to keep it this way anyway... a small group means nobody gets offended and little need for moderators etc.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed May 02, 2012 2:38 am

raycastleunited wrote:Don't think it's dying, just going through a fallow period.

To be fair, this forum was always going to be a bit of a closed shop. 606 carried the weight of the BBC, and v2 had the diversity of the multiple boards to continually bring in varied posters. This place is a cosy group of chums and a selection of less frequent posters (like me!) who drop in during their lunch break. Is that a bad thing?

I get the impression that you guys would prefer to keep it this way anyway... a small group means nobody gets offended and little need for moderators etc.
Is the forum dying? 1927768590 Agreed.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 am

I enjoy doing the fantasy league stuff. If I see a topic I have an opinion on then I will post, but not one for small talk generally. Has a good feel to this forum though.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 am

raycastleunited wrote:Don't think it's dying, just going through a fallow period.

Fallow: very appropriate and nice choice of word r_c_u. Don't believe I've ever heard that word used in the U.S.... as well as many others, sadly.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed May 02, 2012 6:48 am

I think it's just a quiet time after the excitement of The Masters. As others have said, some of the tournaments have not had many "big" names playing, so interest dwindles.

I'm currently not playing due to ongoing health problems, but as soon as I'm back out there I will regale you all with tales of my stunning shots.

Remember - size isn't everything - would rather have fewer members with quality discussions, than be over-run with plebs. Smile
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed May 02, 2012 8:00 am

....oh and by the way....bringing back Keizo/Simba et al is NOT the answer!!
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed May 02, 2012 9:44 am

I can't recall ever disagreeing with anything JAS has said.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed May 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Mary_S wrote:I think it's just a quiet time after the excitement of The Masters. As others have said, some of the tournaments have not had many "big" names playing, so interest dwindles.

I'm currently not playing due to ongoing health problems, but as soon as I'm back out there I will regale you all with tales of my stunning shots.

Remember - size isn't everything - would rather have fewer members with quality discussions, than be over-run with plebs. Smile
You're so right, Mary. I much prefer the cosiness of this forum although I do find it rather sad that it's impossible to get any discussion going on "other sports" apart from football, which I detest.

Sorry to hear about your health problems but with the weather as it is, you're probably not missing anything. I had just started to play at Easter (played twice) and it's been Rain Cloud down ever since. Very frustrating. Hope you're better soon and it co-incides with an improvement in the weather. sunny
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Fri May 18, 2012 5:26 pm

other than davie talking to himself on the matchplay thread and venice's fantasy threads of which there seem to be an infinite supply Smile not a single post in the last 24hrs scratch
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri May 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Yes I'm a little surprised that it's been so quiet with a couple of interesting tournaments going on at the moment

I took a peek at the dark side yesterday though and there wasn't a whole lot more there - some of our double-dippers were joining in over there but it was mostly baiting McLaren and his ever increasing WUM posts (even he admitted it!)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Fri May 18, 2012 5:37 pm

actually, if you discount ray's declaration of intent in the eclectic thread its getting on for 60hrs (2.5 days) Shocked
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri May 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Maybe you can find something for us to talk about Scarpa?

After all, we get out of a forum what we put into it
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri May 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Never known it so quiet and it may be time for someone to post something controversial ..... mmm I may just do that Smile
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Fri May 18, 2012 6:01 pm

time to head back to the 'dark side' which as you allude to , sounds so much more glamorous king
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri May 18, 2012 6:15 pm

In all fairness scarpa, there is a fair bit of activity on the 'Is the forum dying?' thread Is the forum dying? 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Fri May 18, 2012 6:38 pm

yep, i've generated 8 new posts - hi5 cheers
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by scarpa Fri May 18, 2012 6:39 pm

though admittedly i was responsible for half of them....
scarpa
scarpa

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri May 18, 2012 8:52 pm

scarpa wrote:though admittedly i was responsible for half of them....

Ah, stop bragging

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 pm

According to McLaren on the other place this place no longer exists!

You are clearly all figments of my imagination
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 pm

It has been said that I sometimes appear in other people's nightmares - that must explain it Davie! affraid
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 am

Davie wrote:According to McLaren on the other place this place no longer exists!

You are clearly all figments of my imagination

These are not the droids you are looking for.......

I did want to correct him but decided not to pander to his look at me tendencies.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed May 30, 2012 2:51 am

Mary_S wrote:It has been said that I sometimes appear in other people's nightmares - that must explain it Davie! affraid

That's better than appearing in your own nightmares i suppose.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down