Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book Club

+5
LondonJonnyO
LadyPutt
Doc
Davie
diggers
9 posters

Go down

Book Club Empty Book Club

Post by diggers Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:14 pm

As a man who likes to read, and has a combined 3 and a 1/2 hour commute most days so has the time to do so, I do get through a lot of books. Wondered what other people on here like to read, clearly Tigers (oops sorry Haneys) book has come up as being popular and Id imagine people read a lot of sports books. Must admit they are not really my bag, I get my fill of sports from TV and newspapers and online so Im usually in the world of fiction when it comes to books.
Last book I read was Julian Barnes, "A Sense of an Ending", very good little novel, Im not usually a fan of Barnes but it was a very well written book that I think would strike a chord with most people. Ive now started on the Game Of Thrones books, not usually the kind of thing I'd go for but I knew they would occupy me for a while and the reviews have been good and I must admit it has been a bit of a page turner thus far.
So who's reading what right now ?

diggers

Back to top Go down

Book Club Empty Re: Book Club

Post by Davie Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 pm

Don't read many sporty books myself - I tend to stick with the "safe" thriller fiction such as Jeffrey Deaver or Val McDermit

My local pub has an unofficial free book club where people bring in books that they've finished with and people just take them away and bring them back when they've finished

Lots of crime thrillers too (Rankin, Michael Connelly etc) - and for a bit of light relief some of the Harlen Coben books. There is quite a funny book by Coben called Back Spin that I read recently which is based around the US Open golf. A little predictable in a Tin Cup way but it's quite amusing in that he doesn't seem to be much of a golf fan (or perhaps he's just pretending - some of the put downs of traditional golfers are hilarious)

Used to dabble a lot with Science Fiction and still dip back into it from time to time though I haven't really fuond any contemporary SF authors that I like - the old classics of Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke etc still get re-read from time to time though
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Must admit Davie Im a bit of a sucker for a John Grisham. Always a decent read.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Diggers I recently read the game Of Thrones books - jesus they make your arm ache. Massive story and still not completed after 4 or 5 books so far. Books, more like telephone directories. Great story and as you say a real page turner, but I'm waiting for the concluding part, whenever its released. harry potter it isn't as theres plenty of wierd sex, blood and gore, incest, rape, treachery and a great read. If you do like that genre i can highly recommend Brent Weeks's 'Night Angel' Trilogy, great story and great writer.

Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Ik now Doc, must admit Im not a Kindle fan, prefer an actual book, but I might use the wifes Kindle for the rest of the series.....not enough space on the book shelves !! Will check out the Brent Weeks ones though think I could be fantasied out for a while.
Speaking of big books anyone read Shantaram, incredible story and supposedly completely true though I struggle to believe that entirely.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:36 pm

I recently indulged in a Kindle (basic model) and, following my decision not to read newspapers any more because the news is so depressing, I am now reading much more on my commute. Recent books (I've become a fan of autobiographies) have been From the Elephant to Hollywood by Michael Caine, Confessions of a Fruitcake by Chris Evans and currently That's Another Story by Julie Walters. I also like historical fiction and the occasional thriller.

Haven't got into golf books much (apart from John Daly's autobiography) but I'll see what's available. I know Four Iron in the Soul is not on e-books yet.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:16 pm

The game of thrones started to bore me.

Read Magician by Raymond Fiest. It's one of the very best in the genre and is still in print after 30 years. If you like that there is an entire series around the characters which will take a huge amount of time to get through end to end. With the planned book coming this year I think it's 29 or so now.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 pm

diggers wrote:Speaking of big books anyone read Shantaram, incredible story and supposedly completely true though I struggle to believe that entirely.

Yes I've read shantaram, rather appropriately while I was travelling around India. The only problem was that the last quarter dragged on a bit. The first 3 quarters, although probably dramatised a bit, were a great read. I think the author has been in discussions about turning this into a movie. It would make a very good film.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:47 am

Dig's/LP with regard to ebook readers, most of my reading is done on a Sony. Not had much trouble with it, but its getting a bit dated and was thinking about a Kindle. However the one major issue with ebooks is DRM (Digital Rights management) Today one publisher TOR has decided to do away with it, and i hope all the rest will before too long as its a pain in the arse.

A few months ago my reader crashed which meant a 'hard re-boot', this wiped the machine. I then had to register the reader again with Sony on line, before i could redownload my library. 90% of the books in my library are DRM'd which meant I couldn't open them, even though I had bought them, owned them etc. I had to go back into the Sony site and then download Adobe Digital Editions and then download all my books again from the original site I purchased them from. Took an age and once this was done I had to move them all back into my library (After deleting everything) and the download the books onto the reader again. Nightmare and totally not fair as those books were mine and yet I couldn't read them.

Theres plenty of places to download free ebooks which are all DRM free, but if you have Kindle you can only use amazon/Kobi, as they won't open on anything else. In fact all ereaders only use a few sites for their books as they all use different software. Its about time one of them decided to do what iTunes did and consolidate the industry standard.

I was in touch with one particular author as i was pissed off with DRM, and he explained that almost every author is in favour of getting rid as it makes ereaders limited. he also said that ebooks are massiveley expensive in comparison to normal books - why should the cost be almost the same as a book, when theres no paper, no warehousing, no printing, no transportation, no labour, etc, etc, etc. You are getting a file thats all .....

There is a way of stripping DRM and I have all the tools to do it ..... when I get around to it. I use Calibre which is a free download and the slickets bit of kit you can get. It stores your books and finds the book covers and artwork, including all the metadata, it can reformat any type of ebook and its also very slick and has bells and whistles. There's another download you can get free which 'plugs in' which then strips DRM

Another rant over
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:49 am

I've read the first four books of the game of thrones series and really enjoyed them as they were a completely different style of book that I was used to reading. I have toyed with getting the fifth book in an electronic version but was put off by some reviews that stated the formatting was crap and that it made the book difficult to read.

I like the John Grisham books too, I remember reading The Client and almost being unable to put it down; each time I did I found myself wanting to find out what happened next and so I started reading again. It's amazing how many of his books have been turned into films and there's now a sequel tv series to The Firm.

One of the worst books I ever read was The Road by Cormac something. Three hours of my life that I will never get back. I read this during the hype of the book before it was turned into a film and the book re-released. Everyone I know said it was fantastic and wonderful. No f'ing way, it had no punctuation other than spaces. No paragraphs, no commas, full stops or anything. It was so tiring reading that crap but as I had invested an hour and a half I was determined to finish it. Funnily enough when it was re-released it magically had punctuation; can't think why.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:41 am

Yep - I've read 4/5 out of the game of thrones books, Have considered getting them all in slipcover, but not got round to it yet.

Just finished Conn Igguldens new book, number 5 in the conqueror series. Fabulous writer, very intelligent read and highly recommended.

Also just read London by Edward Rutherfurd, big book, very big subject - the growth of London from pre Roman times to the recent dockland development. A bit fragmented, but good enough for me to have Dublin sitting on the shelf waiting to be read.

Other Authors I like to read - Bernard Cornwell, Harry Sidebottom, Robyn Young, Giles Kristian for intelligent reads, but for sheer boys own fun, Clive Cussler is de man!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:30 am

also try Philip K Dick. He of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" fame

For those unaware of the translation when this became a film... It's bladerunner.

He is also responsible for Total Recall (we can remember it wholesale for you) and Minority Report. Although his best work is The Man in the High Castle.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Bladerunner, possibly the most overated film in history? Speaking of good books that became films The Running Man is one of the short stories in Stephen Kings Bachman Books, as I remember all four stories are really good, clever ideas.
Other great books and poor film are Bonfire of the Vanaties and American Psycho. Mind you I recently read The Slap and watchedt he TV series and enjoyed both.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:07 pm

diggers wrote:Bladerunner, possibly the most overated film in history?

Got to disagree there I'm afraid. It appears on SO MANY peoples' lists and is one of my favourites too

It's a grerat story but it's one of the most beautifully filmed movies I've ever seen. And the Rutger Hauer scene towards the end would raise the hairs on a dead man

Time to die...
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:13 pm

I think you either love it or you hate it Davie, hated it myself but as you say plenty of people would disagree. Personally Ive seen numerous movies which to me taste are far more beautifuly filmed, I find Bladerunner far too dark and ugly and actually quite painful to watch, but I also realise thats all part of the appeal to those who like it. But Im the first to admit I dont really like sci fi films at all so its never really going to be my bag.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:51 pm

oldshanker wrote:Just finished Conn Igguldens new book, number 5 in the conqueror series. Fabulous writer, very intelligent read and highly recommended.

Also just read London by Edward Rutherfurd, big book, very big subject - the growth of London from pre Roman times to the recent dockland development. A bit fragmented, but good enough for me to have Dublin sitting on the shelf waiting to be read.

Other Authors I like to read - Bernard Cornwell, Harry Sidebottom, Robyn Young, Giles Kristian for intelligent reads, but for sheer boys own fun, Clive Cussler is de man!
I've also read most of the Conqueror series - which book is No 5 (I've lost count)? I've got Empire of Silver ready on my Kindle - is that it?

Edward Rutherfurd is another of my favourites though he's a bit heavy going sometimes. I particularly enjoyed the New Forest one as that's the area I come from. Bernard Cornwell is also a favourite author - have you read Azincourt? I also liked Simon Scarrow's books about Napoleon & Wellington.

Looking at my book favourites, I've a feeling I should be a man Shocked

LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:32 pm

LP it seems we have a lot in common. The Scarrow books are brilliant I believe it's the Cato & Macro series I have. Cornwell is a star as i've got everything he's written, because of the Sharpe series, but some of the other stuff is even better than Sharpe. The Harlequin series is great, and aslo the Utred series and I believe another book has just been published in this series. The Aurthurian series is also great too.

So if you like this genre please checkout Julian Stockwin's 'Kydd' series of novels. Absolutley rivetting stuff about life in the navy for a young man who was 'pressed' into service but rises to Admiral over a 21 book project. Real life events in history slightly tweaked just like Cornwell does well.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:43 am

LadyPutt wrote:
oldshanker wrote:Just finished Conn Igguldens new book, number 5 in the conqueror series. Fabulous writer, very intelligent read and highly recommended.

I've also read most of the Conqueror series - which book is No 5 (I've lost count)? I've got Empire of Silver ready on my Kindle - is that it?

Edward Rutherfurd is another of my favourites though he's a bit heavy going sometimes. I particularly enjoyed the New Forest one as that's the area I come from. Bernard Cornwell is also a favourite author - have you read Azincourt? I also liked Simon Scarrow's books about Napoleon & Wellington.

Looking at my book favourites, I've a feeling I should be a man Shocked

Empre of Silver is number 4 LP Warrior, Scholar, Brother Conqueror is number 5 - I felt London was too big a subject for just one book, albeit 800+ pages and am expecting Dublin to be the same i'e' you just get into a character and then they're gone. Yes to Simon Scarrow as well and I've also just read Spartacus by Ben Kane well worth a read, especially if you followed the TV series, which was overblown beyond all proportion.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:16 am

oldshanker wrote:Other Authors I like to read - Bernard Cornwell, Harry Sidebottom, Robyn Young, Giles Kristian for intelligent reads, but for sheer boys own fun, Clive Cussler is de man!

Read lots of the Cussler books some time ago but got bored of them after a while. Having taken break from them and reading one every so often I have found that I'm really enjoying them again. I like the Isaac Bell series a lot; seems to be a big change from his underwater adventures.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:22 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:
oldshanker wrote:Other Authors I like to read - Bernard Cornwell, Harry Sidebottom, Robyn Young, Giles Kristian for intelligent reads, but for sheer boys own fun, Clive Cussler is de man!

Read lots of the Cussler books some time ago but got bored of them after a while. Having taken break from them and reading one every so often I have found that I'm really enjoying them again. I like the Isaac Bell series a lot; seems to be a big change from his underwater adventures.

I'm not sure how much of his most recent books are actually written by him 1GG. As you know, Isaac Bell books are written in collaboration with Justin Scott, and other collaborators include Grant Blackwood, Jack du Brul, Paul Kemprecos and even his son Dirk Cussler. But even so, I read new releases with interest.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:46 am

Didn't remember that but having seen the names you listed it has started to ring some bells now. I think all of the prolific writers are going that way too OS. James Patterson is one of them, he has a number of series and is churning out books left, right and center.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:18 pm

I enjoy reading golf and football related books, (bios etc)

My main reading fodder is crime fiction, and I'm always on the hunt for new authors. Amongst my favourites are:- Ian Rankin, Mark Billingham, Peter James, Peter Robinson, Stuart MacBride ....... actually - far too many to name.

I am particularly partial to books which are set in Edinburgh, as this is one of my favourite cities.

Davie - I've also read some Harlen Coben, including Back Spin.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:07 pm

diggers wrote:I find Bladerunner far too dark and ugly and actually quite painful to watch.

Surely that's the point of a film depicting a dystopian future?

Besides which I actually prefer the book. There is a whole llevel of depth to the book which is missed entirely in the film.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:56 am

I read 'Do Androids etc... back in the early 70's. Thought it was a stunning title, but can't remember much about the book at all - mind you most of that time of my life is an alcohol infused blur. silent

It is rumoured the opening scenes of Bladerunner (it is in my top 10) are inspired by the view of ICI Billingham. Having gazed upon that view (albeit far off the shoulder of Orion), I can see the likeness.

oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:59 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:
diggers wrote:I find Bladerunner far too dark and ugly and actually quite painful to watch.

Besides which I actually prefer the book. There is a whole llevel of depth to the book which is missed entirely in the film.

Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it though does it ?

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:45 am

diggers wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:

Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it though does it ?

Certainly not. Although disliking it because it delivers exactly what it sets out to deliver in a way which is very effective is a bit daft. I prefer your other reason which is just not liking the genre. That's a bit more honest a reason.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:05 am

When I say it's dark, I mean it's just shot dark, not that I find it disturbing. I think it was a pretty obvious way to shoot the film but for me it just made it dreary to watch. not complelling. I get what they were trying to achieve, it's hardly a tricky concept, and as I said on earlier post I'm sure that a lot of people enjoy that aspect to it.
I preferred the way 1984 was shot, I could buy into that concept. It was bleak, obviously, but also compelling. Not that I'd have it as one of my favourite films either.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 am

That's a fair comment. And 1984 was an excellent film. I find it very apt that William Hurt played a dissident in that particular film which related to state control and the subjugation of the populace when compared to his later role in V for Vendetta where he was the equivalent of Big Brother at the head of the Police State. Incidentally the graphic novel is far superior to the film adaptation of that particular story as well.

A lot of Dicks work portrays that sort of world however. Funny really as in the paranoid America of the 60's and 70's when he was turning out a lot of his best work he was apparently on an FBI and CIA watchlist as a potential communist and dissident himself. Although everyone thought him paranoid himself when he spoke about it.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:27 am

I'm more of a Withnail and I person myself.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:31 am

never seen that. And I have to admit that although I like Bladerunner and V for Vendetta I prefer Sin City as a representation of that sort of hellish future.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:37 am

I thought Sin City was well done but I really don't like the whole graphic novel scene, bores me rigid. But I can see why people would enjoy them, just not my bag. I can't bear any of the superhero films, Batman, Spiderman , even as a kid I hated them and wasn't interested in the comics.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:41 am

Not really my thing either. But I do like some of the less mainstream things out there. From Hell for example was pretty good.

I have to admit that the films I go to again and again are things like Cuckoos Nest and the like.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:54 am

That's a good film and a very good book. I tend not to watch films over and over but I like offbeat, low key stuff, Ken Loach I like. Loved a film called Away We Go
which also has a brilliant soundtrack by a guy called Alexi Murdoch. Just films about people really, My Life Without Me is another one.
They are the sort of films a lot of blokes hate though.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:26 am

Not seen them. But then again I don't really see the point of the chick flick and guys flick differentiation.

As Good as it Gets is one of favourite movies ever. As is Scent of a Woman. And also strangely Ghost. Not really something blokes are meant to enjoy.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:00 am

Hmm - Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino and..............Patrick Swayze. Now that's a group you wouldn't see together every day of the week.

Never managed to see the appeal of Withnail and I. Must be missing something, but I can't for the life of me see what. Tried twice to watch it but I just don't seem to like 'black comedy, reality, kitchen sink drama' films.

oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:11 am

oldshanker wrote:Hmm - Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino and..............Patrick Swayze. Now that's a group you wouldn't see together every day of the week.

So true. After all Swayze has pegged it.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:17 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:
oldshanker wrote:Hmm - Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino and..............Patrick Swayze. Now that's a group you wouldn't see together every day of the week.

So true. After all Swayze has pegged it.

Another truism - hence past tense. Innocent

I know, I know it's not really past tense more of a past participle or whatever it's called.

Last edited by oldshanker on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : slight correction)
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:24 am

incidentally. One of Swayze's earliest tv appearances was on MASH as a soldier dying of cancer. Vaguely ironic and somewhat wrong that the Comedy Channel showed that episode just before he kicked the bucket.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:33 am

I'm sure it wasn't on purpose.....mind you!

Patrick Swayze wouldn't rank on my list of top actors, but I did enjoy Roadhouse - mainly because of Sam Elliot. Great voice!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:48 am

nor mine. I just love the story behind Ghost. And Whoopi Goldberg is excellent in the movie. It's more for her than anything else.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed May 02, 2012 10:25 pm

I see the full trailer for Prometheus is out today, sounds like a homage to Alien to me.
Ridleys Scotts first sci fi film since Bladerunner so be an interesting watch for the fans of that film.
There is a lad at my daughters nursery called Ridley and all the kids pronounce it Wriggily....makes me laugh anyway.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed May 02, 2012 11:08 pm

I find the idea of a prequel to Alien somewhat bizarre. The alien is the common element and in order to have a prequel it kind of means that the link is a somewhat sympathetic character that you can relate to and what to have some background info on that.

So how is the alien sympathetic?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed May 02, 2012 11:27 pm

The Alien films were lost on me, though with them I can see they were well made and well cast.
I really dont get the point of any prequil when ultimately you know what happens, bit like watching the Titanic really.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 pm

I did think about watching Titanic for the first time when they released the 3D version. But I saw a trailer with the ship in half; not sure I will bother as they've spoilt the ending for me now.

Just finished reading Extreme Measures, one of the Mitch Rapp novels by Vince Flynn. He's quite a good story teller and probably portrays some of what really happens in Washington DC. What to read next?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu May 03, 2012 3:19 am

I will probably go to see Prometheus, but the reason why will be Ridley Scott. I like the vast majority of films by him and to be fair from his brother as well.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down