Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst Position You'be Been In

+10
Maverick
yorke10
Noshankingtonite
1GrumpyGolfer
venice1
drive4show
Mercurio
raycastleunited
LondonJonnyO
Doc
14 posters

Go down

Worst Position You'be Been In Empty Worst Position You'be Been In

Post by Doc Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:04 am

Expecting a ton of of inapropriate comments here Embarassed

We've all been in unplayable areas of the course, but what's the worst position you've found yourself in. My worst and most uncomfortable was this season playing a par 3 which had a huge pot type bunker protecting the green. My group were on the tee whilst a group of ladies sat down to wait. Slow going and not us holding the ladies up, before any comments fly in. I managed to hit the bunker, but when I got there found the ball plugged near the top, which was like a wall. No chance of getting a club on it from standing outside the bunker, so tried kneeling and even almost lying down. Went into the bunker to find the ball above my head, and only chance was to try and knock it out to the side. I must have spent 10-minutes trying to find the best way of hitting it and must have looked a fool swinging the club way above my head, and felt a dick-head when I actually played the shot which almost broke my arm and left me sat in the sand with the ball which had tricked down the wall to sit proundly between my splayed legs. What a prat I felt and knew the totty on the tee were p1ssing theirselves.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Worst Position You'be Been In Empty Re: Worst Position You'be Been In

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:18 am

Ask D4S. He witnessed it at Queens Park when I had a 14. I'm still too traumatised to go into the details.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:48 am

This one time, at band camp...

I did have a bit of a Kevin Na moment in a medal this summer when I pulled my tee shot into some trees and thought I could get a swing on it and hack it out sideways. I couldn't. 6 swipes later I was back on the fairway... to be fair I managed to get up and down from 100 yards to keep my score a respectable 9.

Then of course, there was the incident in Madrid in the ladies toilet of a nightclub....
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:05 am

I had a 15 in a medal on a par 4 a few months back.

7 off the tee, followed by a shot and 2 provisionals off the fairway (but found the first in a bunker), 5 shots in a bunker and then an up-and-down for a 15.

I went out again in the afternoon and parred it.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:19 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:Ask D4S. He witnessed it at Queens Park when I had a 14. I'm still too traumatised to go into the details.

I'm not a grass....what happens in Bournemouth, stays in Bournmouth Evil or Very Mad

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:59 am

Mercurio wrote:I had a 15 in a medal on a par 4 a few months back.

7 off the tee, followed by a shot and 2 provisionals off the fairway (but found the first in a bunker), 5 shots in a bunker and then an up-and-down for a 15.

I went out again in the afternoon and parred it.

7 off the tee?! Over water or marshland to reach the fairway?
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:18 am

A tight long hole with OOB down the right. It's S.I. 1.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:35 am

Remember going in this bunker one time at the villas of grand cypress in Florida. Turned into a real Hamlet moment there. Forwards, backwards, sideways couldn't get the flipping thing out.

There's also been a couple where you think you can play it from deep in trees rather than take a drop or replay. Wasn't big and it wasn't clever, although it did cause a big number.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:47 am

I had a shocker at Saunton in August. I went for a par 5 in 2 even though I knew I couldn't reach. Left myself shortsided with a little delicate chip over an 8 foot deep greenside pot bunker. Chunked it into the bunker under the face, had a hack which bounced off the face back into my footprint. Had to then come out backwards back to where I'd originally chunked it. And yes, then chunked it again back into the same bunker again for 6. Another big thrash, bounced off the face and hit me for a 2 shot penalty so still in the bunker having now played 9.

Ball in pocket O'Clock Innocent

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:59 pm

The 11th (I think it's that) at Meyrick Park. Uphill par-4, trees to the left, trees to the right, tee set a good way back into the trees. Took 11. Being amongst the trees is the worst for me personally. Especially when you take a drop in the trees and scuff your next one in deeper Rain Cloud You just get this feeling of embarrassment/along with dread/along with self-loathing and finally the shrug as you realise any opportunity of coming out with a modicum of respect has evaporated along with your ball in the undergrowth. Trees (especially the huge ones at courses like Meyrick) just punish anyone who cannot drive straight all the way round.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:09 pm

Even last weekend when playing Ely I had a mare on one hole. Playing the 9th which is a fairly straightforward hole, I managed to scuff my drive away which ended up short of the trees on the left. Used a utility club to dink it up the fairway, but managed to connect too well which got the ball airborne which clipped a branch and went backwards. Took a 5-iron to dink it under the branches and back into play but again hit another tree which moved it right across the fairway into rough on the right. Hit another iron which hit another tree, and this went on until I picked up a couple of shots later. It felt like I'd hit every tree on the hole. My partners were in hysterics, which only wound me up more ... No
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by yorke10 Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:28 pm

I once couldn't find my ball for a good while, despite knowing exactly where it had come to a stop.

After a moment or two of head scratching I noticed what must have been home to some sort of rodent, a little hole in the bank and my ball had rolled up there and stopped. Unplayable and unable to retrieve it!

yorke10

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Once got caught in a compromising position witha girl I was seeing's mum! The grief I got for that! Fortunately she never knew about the weekend of passion with her sister.....

Once took a 17 when I was a junior it haunts me to this day
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by yorke10 Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:58 pm

I guess the middle of the lake on the 18th where the whole clubhouse is watching (its one of those island greens) wasn't the best place I could have hit the ball...

yorke10

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Spun back into a 6ft deep bunker in the Club Champ qualifying on The New Course this year. couldn't go anywhere, forward, back, left or right, just kept hacking it until I finally got it out. Took 7 or 8 blows.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:24 pm

drive4show wrote:I had a shocker at Saunton in August. I went for a par 5 in 2 even though I knew I couldn't reach. Left myself shortsided with a little delicate chip over an 8 foot deep greenside pot bunker. Chunked it into the bunker under the face, had a hack which bounced off the face back into my footprint. Had to then come out backwards back to where I'd originally chunked it. And yes, then chunked it again back into the same bunker again for 6. Another big thrash, bounced off the face and hit me for a 2 shot penalty so still in the bunker having now played 9.

Ball in pocket O'Clock Innocent

Couldn't you just have saved such skills for the 15th on Sunday?....Mr "I have trouble chipping" - aye trouble chipping my arse" Wink
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 pm

I'm not in a great position right now...in departure lounge, flight delayed and a 10.30 tee time at Pasatiempo tomorrow. C'mon United Airlines...sort yourselves out!!
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 pm

JAS wrote:I'm not in a great position right now...in departure lounge, flight delayed and a 10.30 tee time at Pasatiempo tomorrow. C'mon United Airlines...sort yourselves out!!

Jas, when do you do any work, its a bit like Alan Whicker with golf clubs .... Smile
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:03 am

JAS - do you have a Barclaycard?
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:05 am

Doc wrote:
JAS wrote:I'm not in a great position right now...in departure lounge, flight delayed and a 10.30 tee time at Pasatiempo tomorrow. C'mon United Airlines...sort yourselves out!!

Jas, when do you do any work, its a bit like Alan Whicker with golf clubs .... Smile

More like Judith Chalmers....

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:06 am

This is the first time I've had off since the er...23rd Nov (day trip to Burnham & Berrow) before that it was the long weekend in Oct (Cornwall), before that it was the Tassie at Carnoustie in September. Not excessive really Doc....just got my priorities right Wink
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:08 am

Have agood trip mate Sad AGAIN
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:10 am

Once during a medal I was checking my score coming off the Par 3 15th and realised I was currently 5 under my handicap so in with a shout (silly me).

Anyway the 16th is a long Par 5 OOB on the left but not an issue for me as I'm a slicer (Mav, you'll know the hole 16th on the Hurricane). Ended up hooking 3 balls OOB off the tee and ending up with a 12!!
Del_Boy
Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:48 am

drive4show wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:Ask D4S. He witnessed it at Queens Park when I had a 14. I'm still too traumatised to go into the details.

I'm not a grass....what happens in Bournemouth, stays in Bournmouth Evil or Very Mad

Ordinarily I would appauld this as the correct approach. But I know it was discussed previously.... tongue
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:50 am

First time I ever played - a Par 3 18-hole course where you had to queue up to tee off. I'd had group lessons and one of the other women in the group agreed to come out with me on a Sunday moring. Great long queue of mainly elderly gents - we waited our turn, teed off and I picked the ball out of the hole 14 shots later! Fortunately, I'd not been playing long enough to be really embarrassed, otherwise I probably wouldn't have carried on.

NST - that would be the hole with the railway line on the right hand side? Know it well - fortunately the ladies' tee is not so far into the trees.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 am

Got in a pretty bad position on a par-5 at the Broadway Open. Had to practically straddle a Cotswold dry-stone wall to make an attempt at playing my second, such was the proximity of my ball. That definitely made my eyes water I can tell you Shocked
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:11 am

Del_Boy wrote:Once during a medal I was checking my score coming off the Par 3 15th and realised I was currently 5 under my handicap so in with a shout (silly me).

Anyway the 16th is a long Par 5 OOB on the left but not an issue for me as I'm a slicer (Mav, you'll know the hole 16th on the Hurricane). Ended up hooking 3 balls OOB off the tee and ending up with a 12!!

Always rated the final 4 holes on the Hurricane as one of the best finishes to any course in the south east.

Pin placements on 15th can be devilish!

The 16th though can be a card wrecker for sure! Was it off the very back tees playing ts full length of 600/610yards! Really is a damn fine par 5 OOB down the entire left side. Bunker in fairway to right in range! Not to mention trees down the right and ones left up nearer the small tightly guarded green. But its not just the length of the hole, its the tightness and more importantly the green and the subtle breaks you don't see when you first look at the putt.

The best I've ever seen that hole played was when I played it with Sam Piggot. Sam hit Driver, 2iron, 1putt for an eagle! Absolutely immense!!!

You walk off their with par then onto the seriously tough 17th in a swirling wind and that's a Par 3, where par is like a birdie!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum