Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This week's golf comp - The Premier League

+2
raycastleunited
Mercurio
6 posters

Go down

This week's golf comp - The Premier League Empty This week's golf comp - The Premier League

Post by Mercurio Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 pm

Our Captain has introduced a new competition this year - The Premier League.

20 teams of 4 people - each team playing as a Premier League team.

Players score their card in the usual Stableford manner, but the points for each team are determined by your score in relation to the average for the field. Bonus points are given for birdies.

It's a shot-gun start and you can wear team shirts which may give the course an interesting look.

Ha'way the lads!

P.S. I can help dispel the myth that Surrey is full of Man Utd fans - they were one of the last teams to fill up. Chelsea went straight away.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

This week's golf comp - The Premier League Empty Re: This week's golf comp - The Premier League

Post by raycastleunited Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 pm

No replies to this thread Merc.

Maybe it's because the "old farts" on this forum got half way down, read that people will be wearing football shirts on the golf course, and then went into cardiac arrest and had to call for the nurse.

This week's golf comp - The Premier League 3461234324
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

This week's golf comp - The Premier League Empty Re: This week's golf comp - The Premier League

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Used to have a comp like this at 3 Rivers. It was called the WATS Trophy based on 4 teams: West Ham, Arsenal, Tottenham and Southend (someone had to make up the numbers). One player per team per group and a shot gun start with some tees having an A and B group. Stableford scoring, can't remember if it was the best 10 scores or all scores to determine the winner.

Our comp came about because a captain or president visited Hadley Wood (I think, heard the story a long time ago) and saw in the bar a board with Arsenal and Tottenham named on it. He asked the barman about it and the barman said it was the biggest source of rows in the club all year. Well that was enough to encourage our club to start one.

We could also wear branded shirts, special occasion, what, what old boy.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Spurs v Arsenal is a very important comp at our place too. Pretty much non-stop banter / ribbing 12 months a year.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:01 am

raycastleunited wrote:No replies to this thread Merc.

Maybe it's because the "old farts" on this forum got half way down, read that people will be wearing football shirts on the golf course, and then went into cardiac arrest and had to call for the nurse.

I was expecting a comment from the more senior members on that point - it's partly why I mentioned it Innocent
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 am

We have our 6N Rugby weekend next weekend, coinciding with England/Ireland on Paddy's day

I've had to sign up for the Jocks as the England team was over subscribed!

At least I qualify by the grandparent rule. My Scottish mates are determined to get a photo of me with a Scotland shirt on though!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:26 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Used to have a comp like this at 3 Rivers. It was called the WATS Trophy based on 4 teams: West Ham, Arsenal, Tottenham and Southend (someone had to make up the numbers). One player per team per group and a shot gun start with some tees having an A and B group. Stableford scoring, can't remember if it was the best 10 scores or all scores to determine the winner.

Our comp came about because a captain or president visited Hadley Wood (I think, heard the story a long time ago) and saw in the bar a board with Arsenal and Tottenham named on it. He asked the barman about it and the barman said it was the biggest source of rows in the club all year. Well that was enough to encourage our club to start one.

We could also wear branded shirts, special occasion, what, what old boy.

I bet you can't do that now that 6od's in charge!

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:49 am

We talking about the guy from SBM SJ?

He was there when I last played in it although this is nearly 10 years ago now. We had guys in team colours, polo shirts and sweatshirts and tops etc. I can't remember if we had anyone in replica shirts though.

I do remember getting into it with a ranger whilst doing the longest day challenge round the jubilee course there. It happened to be the same day as the England Brazil world cup quarter final so play was put back to watch the game. We said we'd do a picture down at the first tee before starting and he's kicking off about the guy in an England top. What he didnt get, wouldn't get was that the bloke wasn't going to play dressed like that and he would change first. This numpty kept going on and on about can't play like that not going to let him etc. That I lost my temper and yelled at said numpty: "it's for a picture, he's not playing like that, he hasn't even got his effing clubs with him. Look about you, there's only 3 blokes with their clubs right now you pr1ck

Really peed me off if you couldn't tell.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 am

Yes, 1gg, Terry Peachey. I'm only going by things I've heard, and the general attitude at sbm, which is snooty without the usual justification of a great golf course.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by Meisce Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:16 am

raycastleunited wrote:No replies to this thread Merc.

I played a friends course the other week and I was told to tuck my shirt in...fussy I thought particularly as I was in the dressing room!!!
Meisce
Meisce

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:19 pm

I have to admit SJ I couldn't remember his name. I did hear one story about how at SBM he gave a guy who was complaining about this, that and the other his money back out of the bar and shop tills and told him to eff off as he didn't like it.

I left I think after his first full year at 3 Rivers. He changed to an automated booking system and they had these big schools that would be block booked on weekends. I couldn't commit to a particular day to book so it made it awkward to join my mates and it was so difficult to get a tee time that I gave up with the club. I joined Burnham and ended up moving to the states the same year.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down