Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Chat Fantasy League - Please read and respond

+16
raycastleunited
Noshankingtonite
ChrisGG
JDandfries
oldshanker
oldparwin
Mary_S
venice1
LondonJonnyO
LadyPutt
BlueCoverman
Doc
Davie
Del_Boy
MustPuttBetter
Maverick
20 posters

Go down

Golf Chat Fantasy League - Please read and respond Empty Golf Chat Fantasy League - Please read and respond

Post by Maverick Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:17 pm

I know its early to already be looking at next year for most people what with the RTD only just finished and memories of 2011 season still warm unlike the weather.

However in order to get something running for next year we have to get in place the ground work now.

As most are aware a lot of us used to participate in Goldwolfs/Neds excellently run competition. Since the start of this place Ned has pledged his allegience to the place with no name(not looking for another debate on them and us, were a forum in our own right and will continue to develop that). This does however mean we are currently without a fantasy league structure.

Venice has kindly offered to give assistance on setting this up and administrating the league, Davie also has experience of varying levels in this sort of thing, but I'm a fantasy league virgin! But between the 3 of us or with the help of anyone kind enough to volunteer I'm sure we can get something competitve going and build it as we go.

I think most would agree that the 2 tiered league were used to worked well. So I think that would be a good thing to incorporate in our on FL, and having a re-rank mid season like the pro tours do. One thing is though I don't feel we should use the names "Elite" and "Choppers" tours as this would be taking from the place with no name and we want this to be a league in its own right.

Also as this is now truly a global game, I see no point in focusing events purely on the ET with added majors and WGC's. I would propose we look at alternating the events each week maybe so for example Week 1 would be a PGA tour event and Week 2 and ET event and so on.

My ideas so far:

-2 tiered league - With names to be decided for each division

-Alternate tour events

-Double Points awarded for majors and WGC's

-No exact same picks! So no 2 posters have exactly the same team

-Re-Rank mid season for promotion/relegation purposes

-Major champions gain exemption for following season to the top tour!

-3 wins for any poster in one season leads to automatic promotion to top tour(same way CT offers promotion to ET)

-3 event Q-School to decide who plays which tour before our season proper begins!

-dependant on number of entrants a certain number of positions from top tour secure their cards to remain on that tour the following year. With a prportion in the lower half relegated to lesser tour.

- as with top tier, certain number e.g top 4 from lower tier automatically promoted up a level.

- anyone relagated from top tour, not exempt by way of major wins or players from loewer tier not promoted to top tier can enter the following seasons Q-School to gain promotion to top tier.

- any top tier member that fails to post a team for 3 consecutive events is automatically relegated to lower tier and replaced by the current No.1 ranked player from that tier. (The only exceptions to this rule will be whereby the poster informs FL organisers pre events that they are not posting and reasons for that. This will have to be done before the 1st event they plan to miss and certainly not done after the 2nd round picks are locked in to get around the rules)

Hopefully these are seen as good/decent ideas, would like any other ideas posted on this thread.

Also specifics required for inpute are:
Name for Fantasy league
Names for the 2 tiers

Thanks for taking the time to read through (apologies for any spelling or grammatical errors, I'm writing this on my phone) and please take a moment to respond to a)show if your interested in taking part in the FL, and B) with any ideas you have

Cheers Mav.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Golf Chat Fantasy League - Please read and respond Empty Re: Golf Chat Fantasy League - Please read and respond

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:25 pm

I will definitely take part
Being a FL virgin myself i can offer no ideas - the proposals sound fine to me

Will have a think about the tier names though

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Golf Chat Fantasy League - Please read and respond Empty Re: Golf Chat Fantasy League - Please read and respond

Post by Del_Boy Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Must admit Mav - Haven't read all the rules and regs yet, will do that tongiht. But count me in
Del_Boy
Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:43 am

Yep count me in too in whatever format it takes.

Though I've never run any fantasy leagues of this format before, I have run football and F1 (and golf but just for Majors - a simple "pick 8" competition)

Mav's proposal looks good to me and I haven't any more to offer except to say I'm happy to help in any way I can though I have no doubt that venice can do it justice

I did propose a Yahoo league if no one wanted to put work into a bespoke contest but if venice is happy to go with it then it's all good

How about European Tour for what was "elite" and PGA tour for "choppers" (just kidding) Wink
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:51 am

I'm in Wave
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:01 am

I'm in as well...
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:05 am

I'll probably join in. I'd decided to pull out of the "other" one because I found it frustrating not to get the results within a few days of the event finishing (we still don't know who won after Dubai) and then never knowing when there was going to be the next event. I'm not criticising Ned because at least he took over when GW and Meisce had to give up, but it was very annoying.

As for names for the two "leagues" - how about ET (European Tour) and CT (Challenge Tour)? Not very original, I know, but my brain hurts today (office lunch yesterday which went on for four hours).

I think we could just call it Fantasy Tour League (I know, that's naff as well) tongue
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:09 am

What's the prize? Nurse
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:10 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:What's the prize? Nurse

Free membership of 606v2 Razz
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:13 am

Davie wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:What's the prize? Nurse

Free membership of 606v2 Razz

For that reason... I'm out.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:17 am

OK LJ - just for you we'll make it a subscription to Bella Monthly
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:26 am

Davie wrote:OK LJ - just for you we'll make it a subscription to Bella Monthly

Since being in France I prefer Hairy Parisians on Heat if at all possible.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:11 am

LadyPutt wrote:I'll probably join in. I'd decided to pull out of the "other" one because I found it frustrating not to get the results within a few days of the event finishing (we still don't know who won after Dubai) and then never knowing when there was going to be the next event. I'm not criticising Ned because at least he took over when GW and Meisce had to give up, but it was very annoying.

As for names for the two "leagues" - how about ET (European Tour) and CT (Challenge Tour)? Not very original, I know, but my brain hurts today (office lunch yesterday which went on for four hours).

I think we could just call it Fantasy Tour League (I know, that's naff as well) tongue

Hi LP,

I like your brain hurting suggestions of ET and CT. Agree also that the results need to be published within a few days at most. That will happen or my name isn't napoli1. Innocent
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:49 am

I wasn't involved in the other one, it all sounds very complicated, but hopefully I will pick it up as I go along! study
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:01 am

Mary_S wrote:I wasn't involved in the other one, it all sounds very complicated, but hopefully I will pick it up as I go along! study

Ha! Spoken like a true 'ringer.' You'll definitely be listed as one of the prohibitive favorites with a preemptive strike like that.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:11 am

Im in
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:01 am

Never joined in one before - so a good reason then to try my hand this time.

Just hope I can remember which golfer is which!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:12 pm

im in
JDandfries
JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:10 pm

I'm in!
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:02 am

Count me in cheers
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:21 am

I'm all for a bespoke league for us if venice is happy to do it. Is anyone interested in a secondary Yahoo league also though? I usually enter it and would be nice to have a league for here if enough others do it
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:52 am

Contrary to my previous statements I will take part. Although I am somewhat unreliable when it comes to entries... so some rule enabling the guy running it to boot out the guys who aren't putting up teams might be a good idea.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:07 am

I'm in.

I would suggest a pragmatic approach... ie same format as last year, something we all know and love.

I'm happy for the organiser to select which events to follow, based on field and entertainment factor. eg not necessary to alternate between ET and US tour, but organiser has discretion to choose best event of the week even if that means having 2 ET events in sucession. Also I don't necessarily think we need to have an event every week... some weeks there are no inspiring tournaments and it give the organiser a week off!
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:47 am

I am unsure, I'd like to see the numbers etc closer to the time.

I played two and a half seasons on the old one and I by far preferred the way Goldwolf did things, no offence to Ned who has done a great job in GW's absence. I just feel GW picked the best events and was a bit more creative with them too, like the draw for the matchplay and an Open Field at the Opens. Small things, but they made things a bit more interesting imo

The Scotsman run an excellent fantasy golf comp that runs from March - Dec. It crosses both tours and you can set up a mini league. I would be prepared to set one up for you all, it is hardly any work at all.
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:49 am

Ray...Does that pragmatic approach include us fighting it out to get our picks in first?! Golf Chat Fantasy League - Please read and respond 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:24 am

Yeah I'm up for it...... Howvere just a though would it be easier just to join the Yahoo fantasy golf competition and let them do all the hard work?

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:03 am

hogie wrote:Yeah I'm up for it...... Howvere just a though would it be easier just to join the Yahoo fantasy golf competition and let them do all the hard work?

I ran that last year and we got less than 20 players, plus it is solely PGA events which might not suit everyone.
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:37 am

I've already said I'm happy to set up a Yahoo league as I play in that anyway.

I'd much prefer us to have a bespoke contest if venice or anyone else is going to do it for us, but there is no reason why we shouldn't have a yahoo league as well
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:12 pm

I'll put in the effort for our own league as well as join the Yahoo though someone mentioned that it only focuses on the PGA Tour. I prefer being ET centric while including the tourneys like the major tournaments and others of obvious interest. Mav has laid out his ideas and also has the rules from Goldwolf's original fantasy league. We could test a week for getting the kinks out if need be. The Africa Open starts January 5 with the Joburg Open the following week. If Mav sets up the pins, we'll start knocking them down. Whoever wants to start a Yahoo league needs to lead us to the site page with the league name and password to sign up if it's going to be a private league. The T of C in Hawaii starts January 6.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:12 pm

If the issue with the Yahoo one is that it's not European Tour based, why not set up a private league on the European Tour's own version?

http://fantasyrace.europeantour.com/Article.aspx?id=105

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:40 pm

smithersjones wrote:If the issue with the Yahoo one is that it's not European Tour based, why not set up a private league on the European Tour's own version?

http://fantasyrace.europeantour.com/Article.aspx?id=105

I have played this and I am not a big fan. It doesn't have the weekly excitement to it. You pick your top 15 and wait until the end of the season. You can sub players but you lose their points. The Scotsman game straddles both tours, but doesn't start until mid to late march.

If it must be bespoke, then I liked the way Goldwolf run his. He'd use both tours and pick the biggest events/best fields. If we go down that route I am certainly on board.
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:56 pm

As I stated above my preference would be for Mav and/or venice to go ahead with the bespoke contest

However, as I always enter the Yahoo league anyway, I have set up a Golf Chat league for anyone else who wants to join

The information required to join is Group ID#4910 and the group password is golfchat
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:29 am

Thanks Davie,
I just signed up for the Golf Chat league on Yahoo.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:00 am

Nice one venice - we'll look forward to the "real thing" also though!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:15 am

Great Davie I'm in.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Just to let everyone know that asked about Mav - I had a message from him this morning and he asked me to let everyone know he'll be back on Golf Chat soon - he took an extended break to New York for the new year and has just got back. He is currently tied up with school runs etc (and nurses for all I know) but he will be back here posting as always in the next few days

Nurse
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:25 am

Thanks Davie. Very welcome news.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:01 am

Looks like Ned has decided he has no time to run the comp on "the other place" so it looks like it won't happen over there. He still hasn't wrapped up last year's!

Maybe one of the double-dippers who doesn't mind burning their rights over there should spread the new of venice's good work here - loved the fact he even gave an update after 1 DAY of the African Open!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:09 am

We all know this is a much better place than the Darkside - this confirms it.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Meisce Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 am

Great that the league is rising from the ashes. Count me in too. Pity i missed the warm up events. When is the first event?

How do we decide between the Luke Donald's and the Donald Ducks?

Meisce
Meisce

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:17 am

Hi Meisce,

Glad to have you aboard! The first event is next week's Volvo Golf Champions in South Africa. We will be running non-stop each week at least through The Masters. There won't be that many weeks off during the season so one will be in the running even if they miss a few. We're holding off on the Luke's and the Donald's divisions as you put it for this year. If the number of participants increase, we will get everyone's input on how to proceed. I will post further details next week on the schedule and other items.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum