Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is nine hole membership flattering to a handicap?

2 posters

Go down

Is nine hole membership flattering to a handicap? Empty Is nine hole membership flattering to a handicap?

Post by Noshanking Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:18 am

Considering joining a 9-holer (Whitley) which is about 3 miles from where I live in Melksham. Very casual club (no dress code to speak of) and locals seem very friendly. However, although the course is quite tight (2 par-5s and a few dog-leg par-4s) I wonder whether there is a risk of acquiring a handicap which flatters your true ability. Has anyone else ever been a member of a 9-hole course and what were your experiences?
Noshanking
Noshanking

Back to top Go down

Is nine hole membership flattering to a handicap? Empty Re: Is nine hole membership flattering to a handicap?

Post by Davie Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:39 am

NS - I haven't been a member of a 9 hole but before I joined my current club I played regularly at a 9 hole as PnP. For a 9 hole public course it was very well respected in the area. Though it was short and tight, and had a lot of casual players it was always well known as being in good condition. They offered "membership" - in other words the ability to get a handicap, but me and my friends never took it up. We used to estimate our own handicaps for our casual games - based loosely on proper handicapping rules, but of course not official. I played regularly there to a handicap 3 or 4 shots lower than my now official handicap - and yet I now feel a MUCH better golfer than I ever was than when I played there

I haven't been back to play there since I joined my current club 4 years ago, but I'd love to go back there and see how I could play it now

With an official handicap of 21 I feel I could go back there and play to perhaps 14 or 15 (maybe not on a first visit but after a few games to get used to it again)

I wouldn't or couldn't say that was typical or likely of all 9 hole courses - just my own experience - and to balance it slightly I've heard my current course's handicap travels very well so perhaps my current 21 would translate to something like 18-19 at other courses - a good reason for us to implement the overseas slope rating perhaps?
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Is nine hole membership flattering to a handicap? Empty Re: Is nine hole membership flattering to a handicap?

Post by Noshanking Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 am

Cheers for that Davie. I've not broken 45 yet on the 3 outings so far, so it is quite a tight course and the 3 par-3s are no pushover. You pay a membership fee and get a county card included. Might just give it a bash until November and see how it goes Cross Fingers
Noshanking
Noshanking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down