Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Handicap Question

+2
BlueCoverman
Mary_S
6 posters

Go down

Handicap Question Empty Handicap Question

Post by Mary_S Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:23 am

As my handicap is now inactive, I am thinking about trying to get my 3 cards in before the deadline of 31 March, to revive it!

I am thinking of doing 2 x 9 and then 2 x 18 holes, if I can get my act together over the next two weeks. My question is, I know that 9 hole cards can be Stableford format, but does this apply to the 18 hole ones too. Obviously I am somewhat rusty, and it might take forever for me to play 18 holes strokeplay, which would not exactly be a barrel of laughs for me or my playing partner.

Alternatively, Steve mentioned that I could ask the Committee to reinstate my handicap, as I have been unable to play due to illness. I do have letters from Consultants etc as proof of illness, but I'm not sure how Committees view such requests.

Any info, suggestions welcome - thank you.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Handicap Question Empty Re: Handicap Question

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:40 am

Based on recent fantasy league performances Mary, I think you might be due a couple of shots back   Wink  

Seriously though, I don't know the answer to your question but pleased to hear that you able to start to play again and wish you every success  Handicap Question 1927768590
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:16 am

Glad to hear you're getting back into the game Mary, I wish you all the best. Whilst I don't know the answer I would have thought asking to be reinstated and offering proof of why your handicap lapsed should be sufficient. I know this could come across as a bit mean and that's not my intention; I think you're unlikely to be playing to your old level due to the length of time away so you shouldn't have to worry about being called a bandit or whatever. It will also probably take some time before you and your handicap establish some kind of equilibrium so you should be prepared for that too. Good luck!

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:21 am

Good luck Mary .. glad to hear you are back playing again!

If I understand your question correctly I think there may be a difference between "inactive" and "expired". I'm sure Steve knows what he's talking about so I suspect he means getting your old handicap back after injury when it has expired. Is suspect there is a difference here between "expired" and "inactive".

From the experience I've had of friends of mine whose handicaps have lapsed due to injury - they may be no problem getting your handicap reinstated. However, because you haven't played enough rounds in the last 12 months it will still be "inactive".

This is further complicated by the fact that CONGU have changed the rules (or at least the terminology this year) .. I'm assuming the same is true for ladies as for men though that may not be the case

In previous years, for men, if you hadn't played three qualifiers in the previous 12 months, your handicap got an (i) (for inactive) against it. And you had to play a certain number of rounds to make it active again.

This year I believe they have switched it around to a more positive meaning .. now if you HAVE played enough games in the previous 12 months you get a (c) after your handicap to indicate a competition handicap.

Little difference in practise .. just a switch of terminology or priorities .. so I suspect you should be able to get your old handicap back with medical backing .. but will still need to play some qualifiers to get that (c) back after your name Smile
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

It's a bit complicated, not helped by the fact that sometimes the ladies add in extra rules of their own!

GG - your post made me laugh, I certainly didn't think of it as mean! I only got cut to 28 a month or so before I stopped playing, so I was still getting used to the feel of losing those shots.

Davie - thanks for that info. I did get an e-mail from the club re. the new Congu rules, but your explanation was easier to understand.

I think I'll just try and get the cards in, Blue is right - I certainly won't be troubling the top of the competition leaderboards.  Handicap Question 3497602689 

Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:41 am

I'm glad you took it in the spirit that it was intended Mary, hopefully it won't take you too long to get back there.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshanking Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:15 am

I took an 18 month lay-off Mary and I'm playing slightly better than before (still cr%p mind you)!. You'll be surprised how quickly your game will return.
Noshanking
Noshanking

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Noshanking wrote:I took an 18 month lay-off Mary and I'm playing slightly better than before (still cr%p mind you)!. You'll be surprised how quickly your game will return.

Thanks Noshanking - I'm hoping to play 9 holes this afternoon, and put the card in.

*Note to self - in future, remember to check televised football schedule before arranging to play golf
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:05 pm

Mary_S wrote:Thanks Noshanking - I'm hoping to play 9 holes this afternoon, and put the card in.

*Note to self - in future, remember to check televised football schedule before arranging to play golf

Well the course may be a bit quieter than normal then Mary... Have fun

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshanking Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:35 am

Lovely weather in my part of Wiltshire Mary, so if you were out this afternoon you hopefully will have enjoyed similar balmy conditions. Very pleasant indeed  sunny
Noshanking
Noshanking

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 am

Inactive doesn't mean lapsed. You still have a handicap and can enter and play competitions. However those which have an active CONGU handicap as a condition of competition are unavailable to you. You need to put in three cards in competition conditions in order to make it active again I believe.

Run of the mill comps on a monthly basis tend to be right for this.

Don't know about the three cards thing... don't think you can do that to become active again as that will get you a new handicap I thought.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down