Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rules questions...

+4
Doc
Bob_the_job
LondonJonnyO
Davie
8 posters

Go down

Rules questions... Empty Rules questions...

Post by Davie Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:35 am

Somewhere to discuss odd little rules questions...

I'll kick off with one I think I know the answer to but would like confirmation

A mate of mine (and doubles partner) is wanting to draw a line on his putter and wondered if it was legal.

I can't see a problem as many putters have lines on them anyway - he has an odessey 2-ball and just wants to mark a line through the centre of the two balls. Legal or not? I think so ....
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Rules questions... Empty Re: Rules questions...

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:37 am

Davie wrote:A mate of mine (and doubles partner) is wanting to draw a line on his putter and wondered if it was legal.

Yes it's legal. Many tour pros did this with the orginal two ball. So much so that they brought out a version with the line 'pre-drawn'
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:42 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:
Davie wrote:A mate of mine (and doubles partner) is wanting to draw a line on his putter and wondered if it was legal.

Yes it's legal. Many tour pros did this with the orginal two ball. So much so that they brought out a version with the line 'pre-drawn'

I agree.. although weirdly, iirc he cannot mark the line on halfway through a competition round.
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:43 am

Thanks guys - thought that was the case but nice to see it confirmed
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:43 am

Didn't I read somewhere about a club comp, when a player was DQ'd for doing similar. I think it was a rule to do with changing/altering the integrity of equipment .... unfair advantage??? Obviously a load of buttocks now as players can alter their drivers on the tee ffs, and of course the self same equipment now comes with a line on. Have I picked up on an old ruling or not?
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:45 am

I may have asked this one on the darkside.. but I can't recall getting a coherent answer... surprise surprise.

This scenario is.. some idiot.. let's call him Bob..blades a shot out of the bunker and hits it over the OOB fence. Is the idiot allowed to rake the bunker before dropping a ball back in it?
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:46 am

Doc you can't modify the characteristics of a club during a stipulated round.

Which means no tinkering with the adjustable drivers. No marking of clubs with alignment lines or dots during a round. No additional or removal of any tape during a round.

Although if a piece of lead tape (or something similar) comes off during a round you are allowed to replace it with a suitably similar piece.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:54 am

I think no Bob, but have been known to be wrong and it would never happen to me anyway as i never thin it Shocked

LJ thanks for the clarification, which makes more sense. i would be a bit peed off if my partner in the club knock-out got a tool out on the tee and started adjusting bias. I'd be peed off if he got his tool out anywhere near me Shocked
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:57 am

I thought the rule on bunkers was that you cannot rake *any* bunker until your ball is back in play outside of any bunker

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:59 am

Bob_the_job wrote:I may have asked this one on the darkside.. but I can't recall getting a coherent answer... surprise surprise.

This scenario is.. some idiot.. let's call him Bob..blades a shot out of the bunker and hits it over the OOB fence. Is the idiot allowed to rake the bunker before dropping a ball back in it?

I don't think so as this would improve the lie for your (sorry, their) next shot. If you are at the back of a very big bunker and move the ball forward but don't get out though you can rake over where you played the first shot from.

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:59 am

I recall that you can rake, Bob.

Something to do with the ball not being in play (I think).

Decisions, decisions . . .
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:00 am

Gareth_NI wrote:I thought the rule on bunkers was that you cannot rake *any* bunker until your ball is back in play outside of any bunker

Look at the amended rules for 2012.

R&A wrote:Rule 13-4. Ball in Hazard; Prohibited Actions

Exception 2 to Rule 13-4 is amended to permit a player to smooth sand or soil in a hazard at any time, including before playing from that hazard, provided it is for the sole purpose of caring for the course and Rule 13-2 is not breached.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:01 am

Here we go, arguing amongst ourselves again

Laughing

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:03 am

Not really. The rule was pretty clear and is now a little more relevant.

You can't rake a bunker prior to a shot if it improves your lie. You can however rake other areas of the bunker to tidy the place up.

It was prohibited previously under 'testing the ground conditions in a hazard' but seeing as how so many bunkers now are about a weeks walk in length it makes sense to allow players to rake the areas a few yards from where their ball lies in order to not spend lots of time messing about after three or four swipes in the thing.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:06 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:
Gareth_NI wrote:I thought the rule on bunkers was that you cannot rake *any* bunker until your ball is back in play outside of any bunker

Look at the amended rules for 2012.

R&A wrote:Rule 13-4. Ball in Hazard; Prohibited Actions

Exception 2 to Rule 13-4 is amended to permit a player to smooth sand or soil in a hazard at any time, including before playing from that hazard, provided it is for the sole purpose of caring for the course and Rule 13-2 is not breached.

Cheers LJ don't have the rules for 2012 Innocent, presumably 13-2 is improving your lie? (Don't have the book to hand)

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:11 am

There isn't a released rule book as yet... These are the amendments defined outside of the actual book and will be incorporated on Jan 1st.

You can view them on the R&A website.

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx

Rule 13-2 is:

R&A wrote:
13-2 - Improving Lie, Area of Intended Stance or Swing, or Line of Play
A player must not improve or allow to be improved:
• the position or lie of his ball,
• the area of his intended stance or swing,
• his line of play or a reasonable extension of that line beyond the hole, or
• the area in which he is to drop or place a ball,
by any of the following actions:
• pressing a club on the ground,
• moving, bending or breaking anything growing or fixed (including immovable obstructions and objects defining out of bounds),
• creating or eliminating irregularities of surface,
• removing or pressing down sand, loose soil, replaced divots or other cut turf placed in position, or
• removing dew, frost or water.
However, the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs:
• in grounding the club lightly when addressing the ball,
• in fairly taking his stance,
• in making a stroke or the backward movement of his club for a stroke and the stroke is made,
• in creating or eliminating irregularities of surface within the teeing ground (Rule 11-1) or in removing dew, frost or water from the teeing ground, or
• on the putting green in removing sand and loose soil or in repairing damage (Rule 16-1).
Exception: Ball in hazard – see Rule 13-4.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.

You can also get it as an iphone app... but mustn't use it on the course as you might be measuring the impact the chicken behind the green will have when the ball lands.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:11 am

Mercurio wrote:I recall that you can rake, Bob.

I am correct - you can rake Smile :

13-4/37 Ball Played from Bunker Is Out of Bounds or Lost; Player Tests Condition of Bunker or Smooths Footprints BeforeDropping Another Ball in Bunker

Q. A player plays from a bunker and his ball comes to rest out of bounds or is lost. He smooths his footprints in the bunker at the place where he must drop a ball under Rule 27-1 or, before dropping a ball under Rule 27-1, he takes a few practice swings touching the sand in the bunker. Is the player in breach of Rule 13-4?

A. No. The prohibitions in Rule 13-4 apply only when the player's ball is in the hazard or when it has been lifted from a hazard and may be dropped or placed in the hazard. In this case, the player's ball has been played from the hazard rather than lifted. Furthermore, Exception 2 under Rule 13-4 allows a player, after playing his ball out of a hazard, to smooth sand or soil in the hazard without restriction. This right overrides any conflicting provisions in other Rules, including Rule 13-2.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:15 am

Merc the critical thing is this:

Furthermore, Exception 2 under Rule 13-4 allows a player, after playing his ball out of a hazard, to smooth sand or soil in the hazard without restriction.

Can't do it yet and not even in 2012 if it is deemed to be in violation of 13-2
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:17 am

Mercurio wrote:I recall that you can rake, Bob.

I am correct - you can rake Smile

My bad Shart Fans

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:19 am

I'm not sure what you're saying, LJ.

It expressly states that it over-rules 13-2.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:19 am

Cheers Merc, looks clear enough to me. I have say I am surprised though, particularly the bit about taking practice swings.

LJ, the decision appears to say that the exception to 13-4 allowing the player to rake the bunker over-rides 13-2.

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:21 am

ok got it..I can rake... I mean the other Bob can rake it and return it to the same lie as before.. so I he is faced with the same shot again.
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:24 am

Exactly. You can't rake it unless you either have the ball in hand or it's out of the trap. But even then you're going to be dropping it. Which is less than ideal in the sand.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:13 am

The 2012 rule book's been out for about 2 months already. I've had mine in the bag since October. That's the only rule change I recall but there are a few others which seem generally sensible.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:22 am

Changes to am status as well. Perhsps my club have been storing them!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:Changes to am status as well. Perhsps my club have been storing them!

We're on our second batch, if not third! Are you still at North Weald?

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:38 am

Yep. Still cheap so I'm happy to stay there for now.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:17 pm

A couple of things came up in yesterday's knockout match

I think both of these may be covered by local "winter" rules rather than normal rules of golf, so there perhaps isn't a definitive answer without consulting our own winter rules ... however, what would your thoughts be on the following situations

1) Opponents hit a drive into light rough which plugged. We all believed that relief should be given, but one of the group thought that in this case the ball should be "rolled" out of the plug mark rther than dropped, to avoid cleaning the ball

2) A ball plugged into the face of a fairway bunker. Being in a hazard I believed that no relief should be given but it was clear that any attempt to play the ball as it lay, would cause bad damage to the face of the bunker. Although the ball was ours, I wasn't asking for relief (it was my partners shot anyway - I'd put him there!) - but the opponents agreed on a drop back into the bunker. Didn't make any difference anyway as we were already pretty much dead on that hole anyway but I was curious to know the "correct" ruling
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Davie wrote:A couple of things came up in yesterday's knockout match

I think both of these may be covered by local "winter" rules rather than normal rules of golf, so there perhaps isn't a definitive answer without consulting our own winter rules ... however, what would your thoughts be on the following situations

1) Opponents hit a drive into light rough which plugged. We all believed that relief should be given, but one of the group thought that in this case the ball should be "rolled" out of the plug mark rther than dropped, to avoid cleaning the ball

2) A ball plugged into the face of a fairway bunker. Being in a hazard I believed that no relief should be given but it was clear that any attempt to play the ball as it lay, would cause bad damage to the face of the bunker. Although the ball was ours, I wasn't asking for relief (it was my partners shot anyway - I'd put him there!) - but the opponents agreed on a drop back into the bunker. Didn't make any difference anyway as we were already pretty much dead on that hole anyway but I was curious to know the "correct" ruling

These are our local Winter rules:

2. RELIEF FOR EMBEDDED BALL
a. During the "Winter Rule" period, a ball that is embedded in its own pitch-mark
in the ground, through the green, may be lifted, without penalty, cleaned and
dropped as near as possible to where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when
dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.
b. Exceptions:
i. A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if the ball is embedded
in sand in an area that is not closely mown.
ii. A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if it is clearly unreasonable
for him to make a stroke because of interference by anything other than
the condition covered by this Local Rule.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down