Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Rules - do we need them?

+15
smithersjones
ChrisGG
Mr Kaymer
Del_Boy
venice1
drive4show
hogie
navyblueshorts
Doc
JDandfries
Maverick
LadyPutt
Mercurio
LondonJonnyO
Davie
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forum Rules - do we need them? Empty Forum Rules - do we need them?

Post by Davie Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:40 am

Or do we work on the presumption that we are all adults and shouldn't NEED rules for a place like this?

I'm not sure we need loads of rules about not insulting each other, no harassment, no illegal activities or racist/homophobic posts - those should all be common sense and are covered by the terms and conditions of joining anyway

Admins (and mods?) will deal with anything out of order on a case by case basis anyway

What about other rules?

Jot any down here that may need discussing - I think for the moment we should follow 606v2 (spit) on the images rule and allow then but only within spoiler tags to keep the place work safe

Any others need discussing?
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Forum Rules - do we need them? Empty Re: Forum Rules - do we need them?

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:45 am

Davie wrote:I'm not sure we need loads of rules about not insulting each other, no harassment, no illegal activities or racist/homophobic posts - those should all be common sense and are covered by the terms and conditions of joining anyway

I would like a blanket exemption on racism when such comments are directed at the french.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:45 am

We don't need any rules.

If anybody does anything out of line, a word in their shell-like will suffice. If there remains grievances thereafter, we should send the matter to the Court forum for resolving in front of 5 judges.

In this respect, I'd like to nominate myself as one of the judges
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:48 am

I think we're all adult enough to be able to sort things out for ourselves. I'd like to think so, anyway.

Can I be a judge too? Or perhaps I could administer the corporal punishment - suitably attired, of course ......
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:49 am

Agreed any comments toward wine drinking, cheese eating surrender monkeys (the franch) should be allowed!

Not sure we need a host of rules, I think direct attacks and racism can be easily resolved amongst the admin team once we know who that is but I think done in a grown up manner no red pens or openly stating schoolboy pm's.

My idea of the Rules
1. You must talk about Golf chat to anyone you meet
2. As above
3. The french should be ridiculed at every chance
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:49 am

LP - I'm shocked! silent
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:50 am

Actually the judges thing aint a bad idea
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:56 am

In the case of judges... whilst that's not a bad idea I don't think they should be 'appointed'. In each case where people are involved in a spat/distasteful posting/whatever I think a panel should be selected from those not involved in order to determine action.

In addition by involved I mean those who are posting to 'calm down' as well as the primary pugalists.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:57 am

Rules should not really be needed, i am sure we can all give (and Take) a bit of light hearted banter, and that need not be sanitised.

However, I trust the MODS we have, wont turn into Premandonas and will deal appropriately with anything untoward!!

BUT Lets all remember, we ARE all different, and ones person's humour is different to the next!
JDandfries
JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:59 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:In the case of judges... whilst that's not a bad idea I don't think they should be 'appointed'. In each case where people are involved in a spat/distasteful posting/whatever I think a panel should be selected from those not involved in order to determine action.

In addition by involved I mean those who are posting to 'calm down' as well as the primary pugalists.

Good call, LJ. I agree.

Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:00 am

Judges sound good to me, but we don't need to get bogged down in silly stuff. Lets face it guys, the problem on the darkside was down to admin intervention. We never really had any issues with missusing the forum, or attacking anyone other than keizo. Yes there was the odd disagreement, but it worked well without intervention, because all members were grown up, intelligent people. We asked to be left alone, but we were told to shut up and comply or die. Well we didn't comply so here we are.

I for one will be extremely pissed off if we don't take this opportunity and do it right. Long live the revolution.

Put me on the judges circuit please, so I can prove that power doesn't corrupt Wave
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:05 am

I think it can be self policed Doc, we all are adult enough to know if we step out of line, but in reality, I can't remember any situation when it really did, until Adam and his merry band of meglomaniacs got involved!
JDandfries
JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:08 am

It would be nice to think everyone is an adult but there's been enough recent illustrative examples to suggest this isn't always going to be the case. There will need to be some sort of Rules but most of them should be common sense. Quite like LJ's suggestion re. an ad hoc panel for a given 'crime'.

Whomever is going to act as Admin/Mods, will have to make sure they're utterly non-biased regardless of whom they're being asked to deal with.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:11 am

navyblueshorts wrote:It would be nice to think everyone is an adult but there's been enough recent illustrative examples to suggest this isn't always going to be the case.

Indeed. Another reason to keep McLaren off.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:15 am

Do we have any MODs yet? Do we really need them couple of Admins just to make sure site runs should do.

Then LJ's idea of judges on case by case basis that are not involved should work a treat
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:15 am

JDandfries wrote:I think it can be self policed Doc, we all are adult enough to know if we step out of line, but in reality, I can't remember any situation when it really did, until Adam and his merry band of meglomaniacs got involved!

I agree JD and I even asked the other place to leave us alone, but we all know what happened. Every time admin got involved all hell broke loose. The admin's here are different obviously, but anyone who transgresses the simple rules is easy to deal with. Just don't reply to their thread, simple as that, and they'll see that they've obviously upset the natives. They can then either sulk or post a small apology ....
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:21 am

Doc wrote:Just don't reply to their thread, simple as that, and they'll see that they've obviously upset the natives. They can then either sulk or post a small apology ....

That's a good point, Doc.

If there are disagreements (which there will be), if things are said in the heat of the debate it is very important, after it's blown over, for those involved to apologise if some of the words spoken were over the line.

Without an apology, resentment builds and will eat away at the bonhomie of the forum.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:22 am

Mercurio wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:It would be nice to think everyone is an adult but there's been enough recent illustrative examples to suggest this isn't always going to be the case.

Takes two to tango Merc.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:35 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

Takes two to tango Merc.

I'm not keen on apologists.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:53 am

I personally think it is best to have rules you could even use the rules from the previous place. However it is how the rules are enforced that will separate this place from V2.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:05 am

Why don't we have a sticky for public apologies? There may be times when more than one person is upset/offended and one public apology may be better than lots of PM's etc.

But hopefully, it will very seldom be used! Laughing

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:06 am

I shall start on that front.

I am sorry for revealing that your tache made you look like a ginger Fidel Castro.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:06 am

Why don't we have a sticky for public apologies? There may be times when more than one person is upset/offended and one public apology may be better than lots of PM's etc.

But hopefully, it will very seldom be used! Laughing

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:08 am

Interestingly, I see that JPX posted on the darkside that we are already fighting amongst ourselves.

Wonder how he worked that one out, I've certainly not seen any evidence.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:11 am

Not sure what he means by that!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:12 am

drive4show wrote:Interestingly, I see that JPX posted on the darkside that we are already fighting amongst ourselves.

Who is JPX?
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:14 am

drive4show wrote:Interestingly, I see that JPX posted on the darkside that we are already fighting amongst ourselves.

Well lets see ...... the rules thread is now the biggest and we don't seem to have agreed anything. So for me Davie and the boys should just say that for now THESE ARE THE RULES. Reviewed in one week, end of ilu
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:19 am

Doc

I thought that we had agreed that anyone who steps out of line is taken outside and 'worked over' by a panel of judges? Innocent

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:19 am

hogie wrote:I personally think it is best to have rules you could even use the rules from the previous place. However it is how the rules are enforced that will separate this place from V2.

I second your thought, hogie.

If the number of members were to remain at the current level, we'd be able to police ourselves. Don't think it's realistic to maintain civility with hundreds without a standard set in place. I trust that the mods here (Davie and Mav) are more than qualified to do us justice while showing the proper amount of restraint as they had exhibited at the last place.

" by drive4show on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:08 am
Interestingly, I see that JPX posted on the darkside that we are already fighting amongst ourselves.
Wonder how he worked that one out, I've certainly not seen any evidence."

Gotta luv it. For some, there's a dark cloud in every silver lining. I wonder if there was any snickering to go along with that cynicism.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:24 am

not fussed on rules - they are usually made to be broken.
Del_Boy
Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 am

Not sure how on gods earth JPX has decided were infighting but qont give him the time of day to even justify a comment further than this.

Site rules imo should be minimal so I think they shouldn't outweigh the number of fingerd we have so I'd propose these:

1. No racism ( comments against the french are not racist)
2. No openly attacking another poster
3. No profabities openly aimed at another poster
4. WUMs will be subject to moderation if they persistently offend (e.g Keizo type wind ups)
5. Swearing is not a crime, in context can be used as were adults but excessive use of profanities where not required would be moderated
6. Limited number of stickes to include, Tour updates, eclectic & game today thread + fanatasy league when we get our own one running (only exceptions to be announcements)
7. New posters to introduce themselves so that existing posters can welcome them
8. Anything off topic goes in the off topic section
9. Anything outside of the above deemed offensive is subject to a court of judges that are picked at random having had no prior involvement, but any outcome will be posted in open forum so nothing is done behind closed doors against members wishes or to keep anything from members
10. Play within the spirit of the forum and enjoy the chat and banter

That's all I'd expect
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:33 am

rule 7 should be scrapped. Cant enforce that one.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:37 am

4 is the only one I'm not comfortable with - it all gets too subjective. Besides, as I frequently pointed out on the other place, the Keizo threads often generated good debate (not to mention, banter)

People can choose to ignore a Keizo type thread - or they can debate it, but to moderate it (as long as it doesn't break any other rules) is, IMO, wrong
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Kaymer Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:41 am

Why do we care what someone else says? It's time to move on from the past and head into the future. Im happy with any rules set Smile

Mr Kaymer

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:48 am

Maverick. wrote:Not sure how on gods earth JPX has decided were infighting but qont give him the time of day to even justify a comment further than this.

Site rules imo should be minimal so I think they shouldn't outweigh the number of fingerd we have so I'd propose these:

4. WUMs will be subject to moderation if they persistently offend (e.g Keizo type wind ups)
5. Swearing is not a crime, in context can be used as were adults but excessive use of profanities where not required would be moderated
6. Limited number of stickes to include, Tour updates, eclectic & game today thread + fanatasy league when we get our own one running (only exceptions to be announcements)
7. New posters to introduce themselves so that existing posters can welcome them
9. Anything outside of the above deemed offensive is subject to a court of judges that are picked at random having had no prior involvement, but any outcome will be posted in open forum so nothing is done behind closed doors against members wishes or to keep anything from members

That's all I'd expect

11. Mav to use a spellchecker Innocent

lol!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:48 am

7 is a good idea, but not as a rule.

Have a sticky, New Members say hi thread, we should all post some details about us.

Age, area, handcap, etc etc
JDandfries
JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:58 am

Welcome thread it is then scrap rule 7.

4 is the hardest to enforce! But is workable if its made subject to report from other users and can then be refered to the judging panel. If say we get the same person create 3 threads that are reported for WUMmery then that means it goes out to the court!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:01 am

I agree with most, but i think WUM threads are easily self policed, I think the whole court thing may smack of heavy handedness that we wanted to avoid?

JDandfries
JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:12 am

JDandfries wrote:I agree with most, but i think WUM threads are easily self policed, I think the whole court thing may smack of heavy handedness that we wanted to avoid?

Fair point.... How about the rest of rules theybok with all
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:13 am

JDandfries wrote:I agree with most, but i think WUM threads are easily self policed, I think the whole court thing may smack of heavy handedness that we wanted to avoid?

I proposed the Court Forum for incidences after quiet words had taken place but there were still grievances felt.

It wasn't just to prosecute but to give individuals the opportunity to defend themselves (unlike a forum I used to post on).
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:23 am

Merc you would have been tried and convicted in any kangaroo court worth it's salt.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:33 am

Maverick. wrote:Not sure how on gods earth JPX has decided were infighting but qont give him the time of day to even justify a comment further than this.

That's all I'd expect

Could have a different section for fantasy leagues?
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:23 am

How about a rule that none of the ads can carry sound?

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 am

I wish we could implement that one SJ!

Sadly as a free forum we don't have control over adverts Sad
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Davie wrote:I wish we could implement that one SJ!

Sadly as a free forum we don't have control over adverts Sad

They're starting to really get on my tits now. Most appear to be virus invites more than legitimate ads. Can't we do what they did on the dark side and get our own?

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:26 pm

SJ, i think if you do that you have to recompense Forumotion for the loss of advertising revenue. Which means we will have to stump up the money or someone will have to do the work to attract other adverts to provide the money

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:41 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:SJ, i think if you do that you have to recompense Forumotion for the loss of advertising revenue. Which means we will have to stump up the money or someone will have to do the work to attract other adverts to provide the money

OK, maybe in the new year Davie will pull his finger out then? Wink

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:51 pm

smithersjones wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:SJ, i think if you do that you have to recompense Forumotion for the loss of advertising revenue. Which means we will have to stump up the money or someone will have to do the work to attract other adverts to provide the money

OK, maybe in the new year Davie will pull his finger out then? Wink

Don't even get me started on that guy........... Innocent rendeer

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:50 am

Oi! Shut it Rudolph Wink
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:12 am

Damn it, I didn't know you were listening! Wink

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next