Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Queenwood Golf Club - Updated with course review

+8
diggers
scarpa
raycastleunited
drive4show
Mercurio
Mary_S
Davie
Maverick
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Queenwood Golf Club - Updated with course review - Page 2 Empty Queenwood Golf Club - Updated with course review

Post by Maverick Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:00 am

First topic message reminder :

This place is so bloody exclusive even the guests need a password to access the website.

Don't know a great deal about it to be honest, apart from its been recently ranked in the top 100 in UK, also that it was part of last years Tavistock cup and boasts members with the likes of Darren Clarke, Adam Scott and a few others (but I'd guess these guys have memberships they don't even know about).

Anyways, I've been lucky enough to be offered an invite to play there on Tuesday 27th March, by virtue of an american client having membership and offering to entertain me for the day. I'd say he has more money than sense because I can't even find how much this place costs, but obviously I'm taking the chance with both hands.

Just got me wondering are these closed shop course of such what must be extorniate membership fees good for the game. Golf is often thought of as far too exlcusive and these places are breeding that. But then with Golf we have the luxury to be able to play the courses all the top players do, what other sport can you play the same venue as top players!

Wonder if they'll let me bag a few snaps!!!

Last edited by Maverick on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Queenwood Golf Club - Updated with course review - Page 2 Empty Re: Queenwood Golf Club - Updated with course review

Post by Doc Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:29 pm

Healthy debate, mmmmm I don't know. I'm a smoker and have tattoos on my arm, so obviously you wouldn't want to play golf with someone like me.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Queenwood Golf Club - Updated with course review - Page 2 Empty Re: Queenwood Golf Club - Updated with course review

Post by raycastleunited Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 pm

Great review Mav - thanks for the insight. You sound like a lucky boy!

Value for money is a very personal thing. It depends totally on your priorities. Clearly Queenwood is a premium course and you would expect to pay premium prices like you would at Sunningdale etc, but there are many factors to consider beyond the quality of the course.

If I was a millionaire, I would pay extra to be a member of a course that did not host societies, to have the ability to turn up whenever I want knowing the 1st tee is not blocked out all afternoon, or I am going to get stuck behind a 4 ball of taxi drivers from Romford for 5 hours, who are going to hack up the course and leave unrepaired pitch marks etc.

If you are going to have greens at 13 on the stimpmeter, they need to be immaculate, which means low traffic, again worth a premium.

If you want to entertain clients, there is going to be big cachet for somewhere like this. £300k could be great vfm if it helps seal £300m of business.

And probably the biggest point is the exclusivity. If I was a multi millionaire celebrity in the public eye, I might consider £300k good value if it guarantees peace and quiet and no hassle from the paparazzi or public. People like John Terry or Ashley Cole must get stick wherever they go (quite right too!), a place like this sounds priceless to them.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Doc wrote:Healthy debate, mmmmm I don't know. I'm a smoker and have tattoos on my arm, so obviously you wouldn't want to play golf with someone like me.

I'm a smoker too Doc but not a fan of tatts. Maybe we could get 9 holes someday Wink
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:16 am

Ray that's exactly what the place offers and tbh if I was a mutli millionaire like you I'd consider it, who wouldn't want to play perfect greens each week without the local scaffolders getting in your way as they "f" and blind their way around in front of you

Davie: I'm currently having a mooch around the lovely kingshill area, brought the mrs out for a spot of lunch and whilst she's in the boutiques I'm supping an ale so when I'm home I'll update the reviews section
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:18 am

I had my tats done when I was a teenager in the armed forces, so many moons ago. But theres a perception that people with tats are not nice. Wrong, I'm a company director and know plenty of serious business types who also have tats. Would we have them again, no we wouldn't but because of something stupid we did when we were kids ...........

My tats and fags don't stop me from being a nice bloke and good company
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:25 am

I started having my tats done as a teen and continued through my 20's and there's still a little artwork I want to complete.

Yes some people with tats are thugs, and chavs! But so are many people without them.

I've like Doc done my time in the forces (even a stint in Colchester glass house! Won't go into that!) But since leaving the forces I've run 2 businesses, 1 of which I sold on for a significant sum whilst ensuring the workforce all kept their jobs. The other still runs and majority of my clients are large corporations based in the US. Tats can be covered at a time when professionalism is required and seen to roam free when in your own environment there is no reason a person with them can't be seen as a nice fella unless his name is steve williams then he's a cock!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:28 am

Ahhhhh Kings Hill - one of my favourite courses. Always played well there for some reason and picked up a trophy at one of their Opens a few years ago.

Enjoy the sunshine, Mav sunny - forecast for the weekend is cold and cloudy Rain Cloud
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:33 am

LadyPutt wrote:Ahhhhh Kings Hill - one of my favourite courses. Always played well there for some reason and picked up a trophy at one of their Opens a few years ago.

Enjoy the sunshine, Mav sunny - forecast for the weekend is cold and cloudy Rain Cloud

Same here LP I love kingshill, somewhere I always come when the suns out setting is lovely and its a great USGA setup which offers difference from all other kent courses. Always immaculate too, unlike you though I've not won a trophy here! Though I did win a Kent foursomes semi here once!

Though today only a flying visit to the course as Mrs Mav is enjoying the new little boutiques they've opened up here right near the spitfire pub which is where I'm currently say in the beer garden in my shorts
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:37 am

Doc wrote:I had my tats done when I was a teenager in the armed forces, so many moons ago. But theres a perception that people with tats are not nice. Wrong, I'm a company director and know plenty of serious business types who also have tats. Would we have them again, no we wouldn't but because of something stupid we did when we were kids ...........

My tats and fags don't stop me from being a nice bloke and good company

Queenwood Golf Club - Updated with course review - Page 2 1927768590
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:14 am

Hope we haven't had a misunderstanding here Doc (and Mav)

Personally I don't like tatts - doesn't mean I look down on anyone who has them though. As for smoking, I'm as guilty as anyone
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:39 am

No worries Davie Queenwood Golf Club - Updated with course review - Page 2 1927768590
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 am

I think a lot of people think tattoos look chavvy without necessarilly assuming everyone who has them is a chav, there is a difference.
Don't mind them myself within reason, I've got one on my back as does Mrs Digs. Both from our youth traveling. I'm not so keen on the old spiders web on the face look though.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:21 am

Totally agree Digs. Some tattoos can be very artistic and can almost be considered living works of art. Others, such as the Made in England tattooed around the belly button are not and the wearer will almost certainly be seen as a chav.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:42 am

On the subject of tattoos and their effect on not only the wearers attitude, but also the viewers:

An ex next door neighbour of mine was tattooed from neck to wrist to ankle (not sure about his undercarriage area). My first view of him was a rear view stripped to the waist. His shoulders, upper arms and upper torso were totally covered by an eagle with outspread wings - it was just amazing to look at and truly a work of art. He also turned out to be the nicest neighbour we have ever had.

Also tattoos that have a specific military meaning are perfectly acceptable to me, more so than the 'tasteful' butterfly on the shoulder and its' like, that is just there as a fashion accessory, might as well go back to Georgian times when fake beauty spots were 'de rigeur'. As a personal opinion, I do not have any tattoos and have never even considered having one. However, whereas I would understand the golf club not allowing my mate to play there stripped to the waist, they of course would not allow anyone to play there stripped to the waist. I feel it is pretty much pathetic that Mav could not go where he wanted to because of his arm tattoos.

There was a time when nearly all golf secretaries were retired military personnel, particularly naval. I would be willing to bet that a significant number of them had gone under the needle.

And Doc 'My tats and fags don't stop me from being a nice bloke and good company' I'll be the judge of that...................you have been judged and found guilty of being a good bloke. Razz
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:01 am

oldshanker wrote:An ex next door neighbour of mine was tattooed from neck to wrist to ankle (not sure about his undercarriage area). My first view of him was a rear view stripped to the waist. His shoulders, upper arms and upper torso were totally covered by an eagle with outspread wings - it was just amazing to look at and truly a work of art. He also turned out to be the nicest neighbour we have ever had.

Did you enjoy your Diet Coke, oldshanker?
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:04 am

In all honesty though Queenwood is not the first club to ask me to cover up. The thing is mine are not distasteful love hearts with a womans name or those bizarre tribal designs that seem a good idea but offer no symbolic meaning. The ones on my arms I have on each inner forearm from wrist to elbow are arabic scripture written by a good friend of mine that symbolise lost friends from our time in the gulf. I also have on my upper left arm my 59 regiment badge and latin motto something we all did after passing the 32week commando course.

The thing that annoys me is the one on my upper you can see about half an inch of it below my sleeve and my forearm tats if I fold my arms or place my hands palm down you cannot even see them. So to be told they'd stand out on a golf course as something that's thuggish as I have been told is what annoys me. Fortunately at queenwood they never said that just that club policy is to not have any on show in their defence they offered me a free longsleeve club polo which I snaffled up.

Thank god they never saw my back piece in the shower
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:53 am

Mercurio wrote:
oldshanker wrote:An ex next door neighbour of mine was tattooed from neck to wrist to ankle (not sure about his undercarriage area). My first view of him was a rear view stripped to the waist. His shoulders, upper arms and upper torso were totally covered by an eagle with outspread wings - it was just amazing to look at and truly a work of art. He also turned out to be the nicest neighbour we have ever had.

Er..not sure what you're getting at there Merc?
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:45 am

oldshanker wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpizkWEmg1g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Mercurio wrote:
oldshanker wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpizkWEmg1g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

OS ignores a cheap shot, Sleep
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:00 pm

Just banter, OS.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2