Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+25
Mary_S
scarpa
smithersjones
Redrage
diggers
hogie
raycastleunited
Matelot golfer
oldparwin
JAS
Doc
Doon the Water
BlueCoverman
chris b
venice1
gaelgowfer
LadyPutt
Noshankingtonite
Mercurio
drive4show
LondonJonnyO
Maverick
oldshanker
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
29 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Tell us about your game today... Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by Davie Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 pm

As one of the more popular threads on the dark side, a place to tell us about your latest game
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:35 pm

Unfortunately the weather has curtailed my golf. Not much chance to get the sticks out unless it warms up again, currently -4 at the moment. We had some snow on Wednesday that didnt seem to settle, or so i thought. I walked some of my course on Saturday and found snow in some places. I guess the shape and orientation of the 14th means it doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight.

Going to have to think how I can keep my hand in over the winter. This year was the first time I didn't see a reduction in handicap. We get informercials on the golf channel for a simulator so I might take the plunge with that.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:16 am

1GG - my group play between the clocks on Tuesday nights after work in the main. We used to play snooker in the winter, but we were so bad at it that it was mind numbingly boring.

We now go to virtual golf every (or at least most) winter Tuesdays and it is really good. Don't make the mistake of thinking, or believe the others who say it is just like the real thing. It is not, ask Doc, I took him there the other day. It is a different style of game, which demands a different style of hit, 'cos it is off mats and the putting is a joke. However, it is quite good at keeping the swing in groove, can sharpen up course management and is a general good laugh.

Don't think about it, do it. I promise you it is much more fun that battering range balls out into the fog. Laughing
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:14 am

My word a round for all seasons(well nearly)

Club Christmas texas scramble today! Shotgun start

It was bloody freezing and windy when we tee'd of the 14th which is virtually the furthest point from clubhouse with the exception of the 13th tee!

To make matters worse one of our 4ball failed to show so we had to play as a 3ball which meant a minimum of 5 counting tee shots each!

Combine the cold with a hell of a wind that seemed to always be in your face meant a tough day at the office.

Personally hit the ball well, as did my 5 handicap team mate! Problem was though the other guy 10handicap and decent player was having a total mare! We used one of his tee shots on the 16th(our 3rd) then after that he really didn't hit a tee shot that was playable not even from the rough! He either put everything in the trees right or same but left and on the par3's he had a shank on all but one of them and we had to play that to help get his quota! One stage a par 4 playing 360yards where we had to use his tee shot I had to hit a 3wood for the 3nd shot in!(Which was my personal shot of the day carried it roughly 240 into wind pitch 8 feet short of hole and finshed 6 feet past! So we managed birdie!

Good crack though and club provided 3 course lunch for playing in comp, didn't even get a placed finish though.

Next up christmas 5club comp on new years eve
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:20 am

Scrambles are great for that, Mav - and I guess it works both ways .. unusual for you to be playing a 3 wood into that short par 4 but it works the same for us short hitters when playing with a long bomber when only hitting a short iron into holes I usually can't reach in two! I've played from parts of the course I didn't know existed when playing in scrambles!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:35 am

Lets see... It was cold... my thermals were clearly set to cool... The breeze was nasty... and there was frost everywhere... 9 holes was more than enough!

Good timing too as the blizzard started shortly afterwards!

Now it's sit on the sofa and drink sake time. (discovered a japan centre near me... proper sake. None of this ethanol added nonsense for me!)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:01 am

Used up my last day of holiday today for a game at North Hants, best known as the home course of Justin Rose. Course was in great nick and weather was as good as it gets for winter golf.

I picked up the trial clubs from my recent clubfitting, a blade 5 iron and a cavity 6 iron. Got on much better with the 5 so think I'll go for a full set of blades. Driving was spot on, hitting all 14 fairways and finished up shooting 3 over after bogeying the last 2 holes Rolling Eyes

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:19 am

That's a nice way to be ending the year, D4S Smile
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:37 am

Merc

Yes indeed, there are certainly worse ways to spend a day. Have you played there, not too far away from your part of the world?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:37 am

Had my arm twisted to play 18 on Friday by my good buddy 'Gweeds'. Weather was absolutely horrendous; sleet, wind, rain - numbingly cold. Managed 14 and then walked off looking for a St Bernard.... affraid
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:56 am

Not very exciting but I played last Tuesday and today (just 9 holes - a great little course if you don't fancy the full 18) with little or no adverse effects. Golf wasn't particularly good (my putting touch seems to have deserted me) but the driving and fairway woods were getting there over the last few holes today. My knee is still giving me problems but I think with a little support, it should be fine. The hips are working well cheers and the weather today was perfect.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:31 am

Congrats LP - glad the hips are working well. Knees are another matter...

I played today, not declaring it as an eclectic round as me and my playing partners were all suffering various injuries and we weren't sure if we would all make the full 18!

As it happened, the 18 were completed and I took the (small amount of) money. Really fast start where I was something like 4 under handicap after 6 hole. Then things went a bit wrong for a few holes - a double hit chip cost me a rare par on 15 (our 6th - we teed off the 10th). A nasty 3 putt on 7 and a blow out on 8 and 9 when I didn't do a lot wrong.

2nd nine (the front nine of the course) went OK until another couple of bad 3-stabs on our 15th and 16th and my opponents were suddenly breathing down my neck. Got it together on the last couple of holes to take the money by a couple of shots (the 5 minutes hailstone shower on the 17th green was quite challenging, otherwise the weather was a bit chilly but pretty good for Jan 2nd)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:49 am

Played a bounce game today, hit it pretty well but wasn't making a decent score then the worst thing that could happen other than a shank happened.

Our 13th is a Par 5 that's reachable in 2 if you take on the lenft hand fairway bunkers of which there are 3 so 3 routes to take to shorten the hole at its longest point its a 280carry so feeling brave with the wind at my back went for this route which is one I like to take in the summer!

Set up for my drive made what felt like a good swing heard the loudest "crack" I've heard on a shot and watch my ball sail through the air about 30yards into the crap! Swore profusely as couldn't work out what had happened as I say the swing felt good(infact best one I'd made all day) then I noticed it!! There was no longer a head attached to my Driver!!!!! The shaft had snapped about 4inches up from the hosel! Mustve happened at impact hence the noise and lack of yardage on my shot!

Managed to scramble a par 5. But am now in contact with Direct folf and Adams about replacing my club that's only a month old!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:53 am

Maverick wrote:Managed to scramble a par 5. But am now in contact with Direct folf and Adams about replacing my club that's only a month old!

And yet according to direct golf those Adams things are the best and most well constructed things available.

Bloody junk.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:49 am

To be fair LJ I switched to it due to the results I got on test and my Adams wedges and 3 wood are perfectly made, the issue now will be I won't trust a new one!!

May have to look at the Adams again or wait for the new Cobra ZL encore
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:18 am

Brrr!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:06 am

My game today! Bloody windy, bloody cold and bloody bizarre!

4 x 3putts from under 20feet!!!! Missed 7 birdie putts of 10feet or less (2of these ended up as 3putts)

Never missed a fairway hit plenty of greens ended up with 38points in monthly stableford!

Still working out how I actually played!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:27 am

Maverick wrote:My game today! Bloody windy, bloody cold and bloody bizarre!

4 x 3putts from under 20feet!!!! Missed 7 birdie putts of 10feet or less (2of these ended up as 3putts)

Never missed a fairway hit plenty of greens ended up with 38points in monthly stableford!

Did you get to try your new clubs out for this one and if so, how did they feel and deliver?
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:32 am

venice1 wrote:
Maverick wrote:My game today! Bloody windy, bloody cold and bloody bizarre!

Did you get to try your new clubs out for this one and if so, how did they feel and deliver?

I did indeed Venice, and they felt superb was really able to flight the ball according to conditions and work it into cross winds nicely, my driving and iron play was spot on its was the flatstick that went walkabout.

Early signs with the new clubs are fantastic could be the thing to help me take it to that next level
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... Empty golf this weekend

Post by chris b Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:25 am

don't think any game up north will be worth a post! with the gales blowing and the ground so wet. there were few "magical" holes on Saturday, other than the birdie on our par 5 7th (down wind!) & the fantastic drive on the 10th to a fairway winter green which only got about 160yds into the wind, I gave up after visiting the fairway bunker & playing 4 from there! good job it was a 3/4 betterball comp & my partner backed me up. we finished 2under for the round after a disaster on the last (again into the wind) with an 8!

chris b

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Had my own 'Ian Poulter' moment yesterday in the monthly qualifier. Sitting nicely on the 9th green, just a couple over par.

Managed to drop my ball whilst looking at the line of my putt. Yes you've guessed it, it landed right on the edge of the coin that I was using as a marker and flipped it over. Lovely...a one shot penalty, as if this game isn't hard enough as it is! Rolling Eyes
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Looks like no golf for me this weekend Sad with the way the weather forecast is looking

Sunday was supposed to be a team event but I've just called the club to withdraw. Forecast is for it to barely get above freezing before Sunday so frost greens at best, and the threat of snow on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

I'd be surprised if the event goes ahead to be honest but I decided to withdraw in plenty of time to give them chance to put a reserve in on the off chance it does go ahead.

Last winter I suffered for about 3 months with a foot injury and this year I've just felt a few twinges from it again and I didn't want to risk it in frosty/icy conditions and risk ruining the start of the season when the weather gets a bit better!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:49 pm

For me this weekend have arranged a few hours at an indoor place with couple friends due to no longer being a member anywhere and no point now joining somewhere so for next few months I'll be a golfer of the nomadic kind. But like you Davie with the weather forecast I doubt I'd be playing anywhere this weekend.

Have to say on the injury front the cold weather does hurt, after playing last Saturday my knee was very sore and that was purely through cold. So warmer climbs are the way forward
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:55 pm

First game for over two months, mainly due to festivities,weather and poor health.

Thought I might struggle to get round 18 holes but managed it easily which was a real boost.
Started with a birdie and was two over after seven holes, playing some nice shots. Did the classic head up into a low sun and topped one into the heather at eight.

Deadly was playing quite steady and with 6 holes to play I was one point ahead with 25 points. Finished very poorly with another 3 balls lost in the heather into the low sun. 5 points in 6 holes, not a disaster you may say until you learn that four of them were on one hole!

Good lesson on how a game can change so quickly I did not score on 13 and 14 but Deadly bagged 7 points on those two holes. He finished on 41 points to take the bacon rolls quite easily.

Good to be out again on a cold but beautiful day.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Doon looks like a great start after a bit of a lay-off, so well done. The thing that struck me though, and I may have to add it to my excuse list is: The low sun being blamed for all your topped shots, genius, that pesky sun strikes again Laughing
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Temperature -2 when I just dropped the kids off at the school bus stop, looks like it will be a weekend of watching the golf from Qatar on TV...that is if the wind there subsides a bit of course!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Doc, I didn't mean that to sound like an excuse.
I was just annoyed with myself for making what is basically a beginners error. Even worse when two of the lost balls where off the tee with a rescue club. Lack of concentration meethinks.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:21 am

Bloody Hell, Col U v Sheffield Utd postponed already due to a frozen pitch! It could be a very quiet weekend, Christ I might have to do some DIY! Shocked
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Ah well, my game today has suffered like the rest. 6 inches of snow will do that, just call me Grandpa Wuss. Rain Cloud this might help, but not in time unfortunately.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:16 am

Brrr ...

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:40 am

I thought that you Scots were a hardy lot Gael? Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:45 am

We are ... otherwise I wouldn't have gone out in the first place.

Innocent

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 am

Fair point!...us southern softies have spent the day wondering how we are going to get to work tomorrow, now that there is a couple of inches of snow on the ground! scratch
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:05 am

BC ... one of the worst winters I've ever experienced was in Norfolk (1962) so I know it's not just Scotland that 'gets it'. In fact, compared to the last two winters, we've had it comparatively easy up here - so far! Don't care where you are though ... any golf course (in winter) north of the Watford Junction is always blimmin cold standing on the first tee!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:21 am

I remember Dad talking about that winter of 1962/3...how he and his friends enjoyed mucking about in all the snow when it first fell. After two months of having their football matches cancelled due to the weather, they were desperate for the thaw to come so they could get back to playing football!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:51 am

Was domiciled on the north Norfolk coast. Hunstanton and Brancaster (Royal West Norfolk) were the two courses I played. Pure dead brilliant.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:10 am

Played Brancaster once a few years ago when a few of us were on a golf break in Norfolk. Don't know if it is different now but at that time Brancaster had a foursomes or two-ball only rule.

As we numbered 15 the guy that organised the trip phoned the club a couple of days before we were due to play. He spoke to the club secretary and advised that we had a few tee times booked and as we were an odd number could we please have permission to play a three-ball at the back.

"Certainly sir", the old sod replied, "As long as they only play two balls"
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:29 am

Playing at Troon tomorrow morning.
Looks quite pleasant < should we not have a gloating icon>
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 am

That will be nice Doon <should we not have a hope it pisses down icon> Tell us about your game today... 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Played Saturday morning 07:40 tee off, into a rising sun and a mist coming off the frozen fairways. We were wrapped up in plenty of layers and had to play in winter gloves making me look like 2-glove Tommy with a dew drop forever hanging off my beak.

Played some really good shots, but got myself confused on a few tees with the driver in my hands. The new swing and set-up worked great with everything except the driver, so obviously thinking about it too much. Plenty of birdie chances and as usual not one taken, but very pleased with the score and overall game, and just for a change didn't have to record anything worse than a 6.

Sat having a breakfast in the clubhouse at 11:15 and watching members dressed like the Michelin man shivering waiting to tee off. Half hour later the snow started, so was well pleased we'd got around and a nice afternoon watching sport on the box.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:39 am

Blue
Sorry to disapoint you but after the first six holes which were a bit foggy it turned into a beautiful spring morning. 10 degrees, playing in a pullover, nae wind so nae excuses!
Played pretty good except for a couple of wild drives which resulted in two lost balls in the two foot heather. Hit some really good crisp iron shots which gave me five good birdie chances but only converted one.
Knocked my approach through the green and OOB at the first for an eight.
18 points out and 17 back.
Deadly played well and scored on every hole. Quite impressive on Darley.
He had a 12 footer to tie at the last and left it hanging on the lip.
Greens were a bit lumpy bumpy as it was the first game on them after the frost. The greenkeepers wisely deciding not to put machines on them.
Great day all round.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:06 am

Pleased that you had a great day Doon...hope that you didn't mind my poor attempt at a joke!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:47 am

'sunny'
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:32 am

I think my hand are just about thawed out enough from Saturday to report!!

First outing at my home course this year on Saturday, still minus 4 when I got out the car at 10:00 am. It was what's called the 4 Nations, the field is quartered and each pair represents one of the home nations. It's 4bbb match play but you play all 18 holes and count all the holes won. All the pairings scores are then added together to give a total team score.Unfortunately my partner never turned up so it was 2 against 1 in my match, well actually it was 3 against 1 (lady luck sided with my Irish opponents too). Got trounced 10-2 but the hole that kind of summed up the day was the 16th. Opponent hits a poor toppy drive, it scuttles all the way and onto the temp green where the group in front are still putting out...oops!!. I put the driver away and bring out my trusty 18deg rescue and proceed to flush it to 3 feet. The opponent with the toppy drive however knocks in an 8 footer for eagle, yes I canned mine too but...holing a 3 footer for eagle and not winning the hole...harsh

Last edited by JAS on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:36 pm

Jas I was thinkng about that the other day...Still held on Calcutta Cup day I see. Great idea.
In my day it was always the Irish or Scots who won. We used to take great delight in beating England on thier home turf.
England and Wales plus the Rest made up the four nations. Lots of taxi's home on that day
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Must be quite a common thing at golf clubs it seems. My own club also has a 4N day (this year on the last Saturday of the tournament which is also Paddy's day)

Very popular at my place - I've never managed to get a place in it yet as the English team is always over subscribed. I'll maybe have to resort to qualification by grandmother to get a game for Scotland!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:19 pm

No game today, possibly not all weekend. Permafrost down here followed by a light sprinkling of snow has made the course very slippy so it's shut to keep the health and safety bods happy Sad

Pity because although its very cold, the weather is glorious.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:45 pm

We're closed too D4S (since last Saturday). Was supposed to be a NQ stableford this morning but the renewed snow on Thursday night put paid to that

As you say it's glorious out there this morning but I've just come back from the shops and it's still -5 !!!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:47 pm

It's very toastie in my living room Davie, think I'll maybe just stay here all day Smile

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Beautiful spring morning in SW Scotland. Frisky new born lambs in the fields at the bottom of my garden.
Please induldge us Scots as this does not happen very often!!
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next