Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football - which team do you support, and why??

+22
Doon the Water
JAS
LondonJonnyO
raycastleunited
BlueCoverman
Jethro
yorke10
diggers
Yadsendew
Del_Boy
LadyPutt
Mercurio
MustPuttBetter
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
Maverick
Doc
drive4show
Matelot golfer
Noshankingtonite
ChrisGG
Mary_S
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 3 Empty Football - which team do you support, and why??

Post by Mary_S Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:05 am

First topic message reminder :

I support Bristol Rovers - currently languishing in the basement of league football.

My Dad used to take me along to watch them sometimes (although he was always more of a non-league supporter), and over the years I've spent a few thousand following them the length and bredth of the country. Plymouth to Carlisle, and many grounds in between.

I finally stopped going to matches about 8 years ago, when I got fed up of watching a bunch of overpaid journeymen, who were obviously only there for the pay cheque. At least by spending my hard earned cash on golf, I've only got myself to blame for a crap performance!
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Football - which team do you support, and why??

Post by Doon the Water Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Cheers BC
I was looking for an 'honest appraisal'

I'm a Jambo but still have a slight favouring for Hibs.As a youngster I watched some good games at Easter Road. Revie's Leeds team were played off the park by Hibs over 2 legs and lost to a Jackie Charlton, standing on the goalies toes jobby, in the closing minutes of the home second leg.

In those days in Edinburgh there was a pride in both your city teams.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Football - which team do you support, and why??

Post by Mary_S Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:24 pm

Evil or Very Mad

Well, I guess it is still the season of good will, so I will overlook the faux pas! Wink

The honeymoon period/new manager bounce effect is over, but the more sensible amongst them recognise that he needs to have time to bring in his own players and re-shape the team before they judge him. I think on the whole they have faith, as the club needed somebody from outside to come in and get rid of those players who have been coasting for far too long, because their face fits.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:44 am

In those days in Edinburgh there was a pride in both your city teams.

So true Doon.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 am

3-1 to the Jambos for our 9th consecutive derby win.
We even managed to score the Hibs goal.'santa'
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:38 am

DTW - nice result for your lads today. Hopefully I answered your query re. the C*ty manager a few posts above. Smile

Another bad day for the blue side of Bristol. Sad
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:33 am

... and a shocking result for the gooners Sad

Another 3 points let slip
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:21 am

We've just sacked our Manager. Problem is, the job has been a bit of a poisoned chalice of late, so not sure who will wan to pick up the gauntlet.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:48 am

Watched a fair bit of Paul Buckle in his playing days as he made over 100 appearances for Col U in the late 90's

Must be very disappointed to be sacked just before the big cup game against Villa. Arguably a good result on Saturday could be the kick-start to the second half of Rovers season.

Any idea who the fans would like as his replacement Mary?
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:02 am

Sean O'Driscoll seems to be in favour on the forums.

Gary Johnson started at 8/1 on Sky Bet, and dropped to 1/2 in less than 10 minutes. I did manage to get on at 8/1, but not sure if it's a bet I want to win!
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:17 am

Can't see that Gary Johnson would be the choice of most of your fans, after 5 years in the hot seat at City!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:27 am

Correct! There's quite a bit of heated debate on the forums this evening.

Johnson appeared on the local news this evening, saying that he still lives in the area, is hoping for a job in the West country, Rovers are a big club, he's just waiting for the phone to ring, blah, blah, blah .......
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:33 am

Warnock sacked by QPR
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:41 am

Martin o'Neil.
Is he a wizzard?

My team managed to demolish the mighty Auchenleck Talbot in the Scottish Cup. Great fun watching oor manager trying to pronounce thier name.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:54 am

The sacking of Warnock is a disgrace IMO - so QPR haven't exactly set the world alight but they've had some decent results and no one can question Warnock's passion and enthusiasm

I wonder where they'll look for a replacement - can't think of too many managers out there who can offer them more than Warnock
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:51 am

I used to have time for Warnock but he's turned into a drolling idiot on teh sidelines and utterly blinkered in interviews.
Harsh sacking but I wont miss seeing him make a prat of himeslf.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:59 am

Can't stand the bloke, but to be fair, I don't think he merits a sacking at this stage of the season.

Word is that the players rarely see him at training, and he had lost the dressing room. Noticeable, Joey Barton has been quiet on Twitter this evening - which is unheard of - even when his wife was giving birth the other week! Rolling Eyes
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:59 am

Christ Mary, if it's not Johnson it could be Warnock! affraid Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 3 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:05 am

BlueCoverman wrote:Christ Mary, if it's not Johnson it could be Warnock! affraid Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 3 3497602689

Please - do not even mention that possibility in jest! Evil or Very Mad To be fair, I think that Div 4 would be too much of a step down for Colin. Johnson is off to Yeovil - so we are back to speculation for a day or two. confused
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:01 am

IMO the sacking of Warnock is not harsh and is fully warrented in what is now the multi million dollar part of the season.

His run in the premier league is mirroring that of his last stint. Ok to average by november but down turn in form december leads to struggling for position. Last time out he filled out Sheff United with absolute crap signings in January that were never going to keep them up and had to sell half of them the following season. So knowing that now is the time to buy players to keep you in the land of premiership football you need a manager that has more technical nous than Warnock and one that can attract the players required.

Warnocks a good lower league manager, he does functional but not inspiring football, and his game is not going to get the est out of technically gifted players he's more in favour of fielding 11 workhorses and they don't win games.

Smart monies on Hughes to take over. Bring in some decent players and need an out and out striker and keep them up then ship out the crap like Ferdinand, Hills et al. First one out should be Taraabt.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Agree with Mav
I think the sacking is fair. Not only is Warnock a complete prat, but he's an embarrassment to a decent club and i believe they almost certianly would have gone down with him in charge as they're pretty bloody awful!
I remember watching them beat Chelsea with 2 extra men and even then only could win with a ropey penalty decision and still couldn't keep the ball for two passes!

Smart money certainly is on Hughes. Look at the players they're being linked with - Onuoha, Zamora, Samba, Bridge and more. All seem to have played under Hughes before!

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Maverick wrote:IMO the sacking of Warnock is not harsh and is fully warrented in what is now the multi million dollar part of the season.

His run in the premier league is mirroring that of his last stint. Ok to average by november but down turn in form december leads to struggling for position. Last time out he filled out Sheff United with absolute crap signings in January that were never going to keep them up and had to sell half of them the following season. So knowing that now is the time to buy players to keep you in the land of premiership football you need a manager that has more technical nous than Warnock and one that can attract the players required.

Warnocks a good lower league manager, he does functional but not inspiring football, and his game is not going to get the est out of technically gifted players he's more in favour of fielding 11 workhorses and they don't win games.

Smart monies on Hughes to take over. Bring in some decent players and need an out and out striker and keep them up then ship out the crap like Ferdinand, Hills et al. First one out should be Taraabt.

Pretty good assessment. I wanted Warnock to do well this season, he came in and saved us from relegation to League 1, and then got us promoted, so I feel he deserved a good crack at the Premiership this season. He talked about trying to play good football, but unfortunately this hasn't worked out. He was desperately unlucky in the summer, unable to sign any players until the last minute due to the takeover, which has really hindered our progress, but you can just see that Warnock's tactical expertise is not suited to the premiership. He is a superb championship level manager, but there is a huge gulf when you step up to the next level.

I have been amazed with how Warnock has mellowed as a person in the last few years. He used to be as annoying as thrush but has really cut out the finger pointing and tantrums in recent years. I think he might contemplate retirement now, though i guess we'll start to see him on MOTD2 a bit now. Thank you Colin, I wish you well.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Ha ha, nice one Ray

Love that 'Colin' thing. Good old Graham Poll........

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:58 am

10 days since the sacking, and still awaiting the appointment of our new manager. Rolling Eyes Paul Ince was the latest name to be linked to us, but seems he now might be off to Rochdale. What has it come to when somebody choses Rochdale over the mighty Bristol Rovers?? Embarassed
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:37 am

Now don't get paranoid Mary...it could just be that Mr Ince wants to be nearer to his son Thomas who plays for Blackpool?
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:55 am

Getting beyond a joke now. Apparently we approached "Mr Brady", currently at Burton Albion but he is not interested. Evil or Very Mad

Is Malcolm Allison still alive?
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:04 am

Mary...the bloke that manages my son's under 15 side is pretty good. Would you like me to give Nick Higgs his number? Smile
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:02 am

Some game at Tynecastle.
Zaliukas scores in a minute, gives away a penalty in 12 minutes and is sent off.
Hearts go 2-1 down in 23 minutes then Rudi Skatchel scores a hatrick for the 10 men to win 5-2.
Up to 3rd now. [only 19 points behind Celtic!!]
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Oh No Mary
You've got Mr McGoo as your new manager, don't hold out too much hope!
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Theos way to overrated. As mentioned a winger he "ain't". Can't cross, no trickery and plays with his head down.

I'm not convinced he's a forward either! He's finishing ratio is poor, and he can't head a ball to save his life! That said if Wenger thought about it and got him to work on playing on the shoulder of the last man a la young michael owen he may be able to turn him into a good ratio striker as he can then not worry about thinking!

It amazes me the general poor quality of a lot of wingers that are coming through these days, a pre-requisite for any winger should be how to deliver a good varied cross!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Oh No Mary

What do the fans think about the new appointment Mary?
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:02 am

BlueCoverman wrote:
Doon the Water wrote:Oh No Mary

What do the fans think about the new appointment Mary?

On the whole, it's positive, although some are a bit disgruntled because of his early connection with that shower from the other side of town. Wink TBH, we were never going to attract stellar candidates in our position, so I don't have any gripes about his appointment.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:39 am

Late to this one...

I'd support either Newcastle or Blackburn because my Grandad played for both. But TBH, I can't be arsed with supporting football teams. Innocent
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:56 am

Looks like Beckham is a shoe in for the Olympic football captain.
Smells a bit whiffy to me.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:30 am

Doon the Water wrote:Looks like Beckham is a shoe in for the Olympic football captain.
Smells a bit whiffy to me.

The whiffyness needs company as the L.A. Galaxy just inked him for $15 Million U.S. to play "soccer" for one more year, with another year option and the likelihood of part team ownership following. He definitely knows how to milk a cow.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:20 am

Milk it?...I thought he married it! Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 3 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Hopefully "Super Sunday" will live up to it's name, with Man City v Spurs and Arsenal v Man Utd. Could be a cracking afternoon's viewing! Smile
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:21 am

You see Mary.....just what you Bristolian fitba teams needed....a Scots manager.

I think that may have been Mr McGoo's first win in about 2 years.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:02 am

LOL - I know that we're in the "honeymoon" period at the moment, but fingers crossed that he's the one! Wink
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:31 am

Mary_S wrote:Hopefully "Super Sunday" will live up to it's name, with Man City v Spurs and Arsenal v Man Utd. Could be a cracking afternoon's viewing! Smile

Wow great drama so far! Got to love Ballotelli - even though the debates will continue over whether that was a stamp on Parker(?)

Let's hope the second game lives up to the first (c'mon Arsenal!)
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Harry Redknapp getting his knickers in a twist over parker/balotelli. I'm sorry but no one will convince me that Mario did that intentionally, if he had why did no-one on the pitch react to it at all!

Sounds to me he's trying divert attention away from his court case which starts today!

More importantly what the hell was Wenger doing taking chamberlain off and putting on donkey boy arshavin
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Maverick wrote:
More importantly what the hell was Wenger doing taking chamberlain off and putting on donkey boy arshavin

Some things with Arsene will forever be a mystery... Rolling Eyes

I think you are right about Redknapp trying to deflect attention from his court case though!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Davie wrote:
Maverick wrote:

Some things with Arsene will forever be a mystery... Rolling Eyes

I think you are right about Redknapp trying to deflect attention from his court case though!

You know its bad when a 18 year old making is his first premier league start was your best player on the pitch. What's happened to Arshavin? He was class when he first came to Arsenal but is useless these days, maybe he's homesick or something.
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:03 am

Well, that was quite a result for Arsenal today - I know that it was only against Blackburn, but a great performance from The Ox from what I read.

Bristol Rovers game was one of the many postponements today - stopped us from getting our 3rd win on the trot! Although, some might say I am still recovering from the shock of the first two! Wink
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:09 am

I hadn't realized that the Arsenal game was an early kick off. I was just settling down to watch Soccer Saturday (and flipping with the rugby) and was dreading every mention of Arsenal - and they said it was all over, 7-1!

I thought I was dreaming...
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:20 am

Quick start Davie with a goal inside 90 seconds we the started to think it was easy and paid for not getting the second goal. The first free kick we concede resulted in their first shot on goal and an equaliser. Luckily we snapped out of it and scored an almost carbon copy of the first goal with it working all the way from the keeper to the front. Another quick goal from the Ox after that and it was nearly done and dusted.

Givet lunged in wildly, two footed and no real complaints about a red card. I thought another goal would kill them off if we could get it before half time. Two quick fire goals inside the first 10 minutes of the second half sealed it and then it was a case of running up the score. I've always said we are not ruthless enough when we have a comfortable lead and are in control. Teams like Man U would have gone on to score as many as possible and thankfully we did that today.

RVP finished his hat trick and then it was a case of trying to get other players to score. Eventually with a lot of assistance from Blackburn we scored a 7th from Henry. Both he and RVP were almost falling over each other to let the other one score. Nice for the goal difference as we really needed a boost.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:30 am

Didn't realize you were a fellow gooner! Did you get the match live over there? Thanks for the review, I'm sure I'll see the goals later Smile
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:47 am

Mary_S wrote:

Bristol Rovers game was one of the many postponements today - stopped us from getting our 3rd win on the trot! Although, some might say I am still recovering from the shock of the first two! Wink

Probably just as well Mary...we wouldn't want you to have a relapse!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:19 am

What gave it away Davie? I thought it was a very balanced and objective review. Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 3 3497602689

Get to see loads of footie over here usually four or five live games on a Saturday and then delayed coverage of games that weren't shown live.

Theo had a good game today, I said recently that he and Arshavin should have a run in the reserves playing against crappy players to boost their confidence.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:55 am

Bit gutted with the Arsenal score. Happy to see them win as would love to see Blackburn go down but was enjoying Sunderland having a better goal difference than the Arse with more than have the season gone.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:04 am

Dundee Utd just put out Rankers in Scotland.

Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum