Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football - which team do you support, and why??

+22
Doon the Water
JAS
LondonJonnyO
raycastleunited
BlueCoverman
Jethro
yorke10
diggers
Yadsendew
Del_Boy
LadyPutt
Mercurio
MustPuttBetter
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
Maverick
Doc
drive4show
Matelot golfer
Noshankingtonite
ChrisGG
Mary_S
26 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 2 Empty Football - which team do you support, and why??

Post by Mary_S Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:05 am

First topic message reminder :

I support Bristol Rovers - currently languishing in the basement of league football.

My Dad used to take me along to watch them sometimes (although he was always more of a non-league supporter), and over the years I've spent a few thousand following them the length and bredth of the country. Plymouth to Carlisle, and many grounds in between.

I finally stopped going to matches about 8 years ago, when I got fed up of watching a bunch of overpaid journeymen, who were obviously only there for the pay cheque. At least by spending my hard earned cash on golf, I've only got myself to blame for a crap performance!
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Football - which team do you support, and why??

Post by diggers Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:11 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:He's a forward that's why Davie!

I've never seen a player less suited to playing right wing! No real skill, just pace. Can't cross, can't pass, can't track back.

Given van Persie's injury record and the lack of other forwards at Arsenal I'm gobsmacked Theo hasn't yet been given a run of games up front

While I do agree with you on the whole I would say that his goal scoring record for a winger is pretty average, especially one playing for a top side. Pity really, I just cant see him becoming a complete player in any position despite his talents, which is a shame because as young English footballers go he is clearly one of the nicer and more humble ones.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Football - which team do you support, and why??

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:31 am

If you look at Ryan Giggs FA Cup semi-final goal, he doesn't actually dribble around anyone. I've always considered that goal as being a tad over-rated in terms of actual technical ability.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:07 am

diggers wrote:While I do agree with you on the whole I would say that his goal scoring record for a winger is pretty average

Good point. His goalscoring record is pretty poor to be honest.

I just feel he should, by now, have had a run up front. I think he'd score goals, especially if partnering van Persie. Teams defend high against van Persie becasue he has no pace but if you give him space he can really hurt you. You can't defend high with Walcott up front because that would be perfect for him. The two of them together would give defences nightmares. You defend high and Walcott will run in behind for fun. You defend deep and stop Walcott and van Persie gets more space around the edge of the box where he's very very dangerous. Looks like the perfect striking pair to me. But not to Arsene!

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:18 am

Yeah, I do agree he is more suited as a striker rather than a winger. You can only imagine Wenger knows something we dont, not like he cant try pairing them together in training whenever he wants.
Love Van Persie as a footballer, sheer class.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:24 am

Henry became a top-class striker after being a not so special winger so it could happen with Walcott, but I feel he needs to bring more assertiveness to his game.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 am

Very true re Henry but I think that there is a tendancy to think that because both are super quick wingers at Aresenal under Wenger that they will end up the same way.
It may well happen, be great for England if it did, but Henry was a very special player and not too many players have the career he has had.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:34 am

Agreed re RVP
Seems a real idiot of a bloke but a class footballer no doubt

Wenger, i wonder if he's got carried away with his own legend sometimes! He seems to have this reputation for finding players who play in one position and turning them into something else because he could see deep into their soul bla bla bla
Okay he did that with Henry - fine
I struggle to think of a single other player which he has done that successfully with. He tried to turn Lauren, Eboue and Walcott all into right wingers, tried to turn Kolo Toure into a centre mid........ the list goes on

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:36 am

Mercurio wrote:Henry became a top-class striker after being a not so special winger so it could happen with Walcott, but I feel he needs to bring more assertiveness to his game.

Merc, the difference is Henry came as a winger and Wenger saw striker qualities in him.
Walcott came as a striker and Wenger presumably sees winger qualities in him. I can't. Unfortunately for Walcott to get a go up front Wenger will have to admit he got it wrong which won't happen. He'd do well to get out of there in my opinion - sorry Davie!!

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:53 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:
Mercurio wrote:Henry became a top-class striker after being a not so special winger so it could happen with Walcott, but I feel he needs to bring more assertiveness to his game.

Merc, the difference is Henry came as a winger and Wenger saw striker qualities in him.
Walcott came as a striker and Wenger presumably sees winger qualities in him. I can't. Unfortunately for Walcott to get a go up front Wenger will have to admit he got it wrong which won't happen. He'd do well to get out of there in my opinion - sorry Davie!!

I could go with Walcott out wide in a genuine 4 3 3. Maybe with a more traditional style winger on the other side. He is getting better at tracking back, its not as if you need to be a great tackler, just to be able to get into a position to slow up play.
Funnily enough this might work better with England with him, Rooney and Downing or Johnson.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:58 am

Can't see him leaving Arsenal, MPB - I get the impression he feels he "owes" Wenger

RVP is a strange one for me. Never liked him much (certainly not his personality) and up until this year thought him a bit overrated. Injured too much and never seemed to score as many as he should. He's shown me what I know this year though!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:49 am

I went to school in Colchester so it has always been Col U for me. Season ticket holder for lots of years and try to get to as many away games as possible. Loved the atmosphere that we used to create at a packed Layer Road, sadly lacking a bit since we moved to the new stadium just alongside the A12 recently.

Brilliant fun in the Championship for a couple of seasons, still enjoy it now we are back in mid table League 1. Hate the fickleness of some football supporters, two weeks ago we lost to Paolo Di Canio's Swindon side in the FA Cup and some fans started booing the players and chanting for the manager John Ward to be sacked. One week later we play Bury off the park in the league winning 4-1 and the same fans are cheering like we have just won the title. Supporting a football team is a bit like life, some good times and some bad, but you need to stick with it through thick and thin, just wish the boo boys would realise that sometimes...
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:21 am

Great atmosphere at St Andrews tonight. So close, Braga had a penalty to win. Really enjoyed Europa League experience, probably the last time I'll see Blues in this competition in my lifetime though Sad
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Shanks, what the hells happening with your owners? and the 2 that left and went to West Ham were obviously up to no good, as the bloke they originally sold to was a well known gangster type. Gold and Sullivan got mixed up with this character due to on-line sex sites, and as the area they were trying to get a handle on was run by Far Eastern unsavoury types, they had to deal with them. I think the shell company they startedwas called Gold member, and made them plenty of cash. But the geezer they were dealing with was already wanted for murder, blackmail, graft, corruption and money laundering, and then things got worse lately. Another one who got around the fit and proper rule
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:57 am

BlueCoverman - as probably know, John Ward is an ex-Manager of both Bristol Rovers and C*ty. A very decent bloke, but football fans in Bristol are very fickle too! Rolling Eyes
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:24 am

Doc wrote:Shanks, what the hells happening with your owners? and the 2 that left and went to West Ham were obviously up to no good, as the bloke they originally sold to was a well known gangster type. Gold and Sullivan got mixed up with this character due to on-line sex sites, and as the area they were trying to get a handle on was run by Far Eastern unsavoury types, they had to deal with them. I think the shell company they startedwas called Gold member, and made them plenty of cash. But the geezer they were dealing with was already wanted for murder, blackmail, graft, corruption and money laundering, and then things got worse lately. Another one who got around the fit and proper rule

It's all a crying shame DOC. We've got a good bunch of lads who want to play for Hughton (who is a really good bloke and manager), but I think all this stuff in the background which should be kept separate from the club, will damage us in the Jan transfer window. There was very little 'due diligence' done by those that should have been checking into Yeung's financial credibility. It makes you sick really. Evil or Very Mad
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:35 am

Shanks - I think you have our ex-Manager, Paul Trollope, as Hughton's assistant. How do you rate him?
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:52 am

Mary_S wrote:BlueCoverman - as probably know, John Ward is an ex-Manager of both Bristol Rovers and C*ty. A very decent bloke, but football fans in Bristol are very fickle too! Rolling Eyes

I think that being fickle is a trait suffered by many football fans wherever they are from Mary! John Ward lives in the next village to me and I have met him a couple of times and he is indeed a very decent bloke.

One of my favourite ever matches at Layer Road was Col U against your Bristol Rovers on New Years Day 2000. It was a nine goal thriller and we nicked it at the death with the winning goal being scored by a very young Lomana Lua Lua.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:34 am

I love the fact that the title of this thread is "which football team do you support?" and mercurio comes on to post that he isn't going to reveal the team he supports lol!
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:40 am

Davie wrote:Bale is rubbish but I'm a Gooner so you can take that with a pinch of salt Wink

Theo can do the dribble bit quite well though - he's frustrating to Arsenal fans as he seems to play better for England than for Arsenal!

They are both quality....because they both came from Southampton Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:45 am

Football is a game enjoyed by men who like to jump into an oversized bath after getting muddy together to play who's hiding the soap.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:51 am

LJ

you are behind the times, it's now individual shower cubicles, poncey smelling toiletries and finished off with a manicure.

Then they all go down the local wine bar to discuss the latest hair products over a glass of pinot grigio!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:56 am

drive4show wrote:LJ

you are behind the times, it's now individual shower cubicles, poncey smelling toiletries and finished off with a manicure.

Then they all go down the local wine bar to discuss the latest hair products over a glass of pinot grigio!

Somehow I view this as less honest than a good old post-match game of hide the cucumber.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:57 am

QPR for me. As a kid growing up in west London in the 80's, pretty much everyone supported Liverpool, with the odd Arsenal or Man U fan here and there.

I'm a firm believer in supporting your local team, so it was a straight choice between QPR or Chelsea... QPR seemed the more romantic choice (and I've been regretting it ever since - haha).

Looked like a good choice in the early 90's when Gerry Francis built a great team and we played some quality football, Wilkins and Sinton knocking the ball around nicely, Trevor Sinclair and Andey Impey providing the dribbling entertainment down the wings and Les Ferdinand providing the finishing. Not such a great choice come the late 90's and 00's following 2 relegations and the crushing disappointment of travelling to Cardiff to watch us lose a play off final... knowing that you are going to endure another season of dross in League 1 (or as I think of it the 3rd division).

Have to say I am loving it now we are back in the big time, although Briatore's stint in charge has resulted in me falling out of love with QPR to some extent. We've made headlines for all the wrong reasons in recent years and the cynical manipulation of the club has left me cold.

I increasingly find the culture of football offputting, from megalomaniac owners on massive ego trips, to cheating immoral players, to idiotic petty one eyed fans with no understanding of the game and memories like goldfish.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:06 am

ray

I'd be more than happy to see QPR do well in the top league if it wasn't for that little thug Barton. How he hasn't been kicked out of football permanently I will never understand.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:10 am

drive4show wrote:ray

I'd be more than happy to see QPR do well in the top league if it wasn't for that little thug Barton. How he hasn't been kicked out of football permanently I will never understand.

He's only a part time footballer these days. His main occupation appears to be social commentator / rent-a-gob. It amazes me that people are so interested in his opinions.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:13 am

I used to find Barton interesting a couple of years ago, a bit of an enigma really. But the whole twittering thing has pushed me over the edge with him. Sometimes less is more.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:23 am

ray - Gerry Francis is a legend to us Bristol Rovers fans! He could certainly make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (essential for managing at Rovers). Funniest thing was seeing Devon White playing in the top flight!

Diggers - my take exactly on JB - he has turned into a caricature.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:54 pm

Gerry Francis is one of those managers like Roy Hodgson who is great at assembling a team on a shoestring, but doesn't know what to do when given a load of cash to spend.

Devon White... brings back memories. Bruno! Bruno!

Barton = caricature. Spot on Mary!

By the way, the emoticons here are rubbish scratch
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Taking my first forage onto the non golfing part of this forum...I hold my hands up....I was brought up a currant bun. Used to go to games regularly. Trying desperately hard not to care these days but I still do. I'm very much of the opinion that money HAS ruined sport and football in particular....and Scottish football in specific particular (lack of money compared to elsewhere...obviously).

I thought I'd shaken any pretensions of giving a flying one until driving along the A30 from Newquay on helicopter Sunday. When the radio announced that Motherwell had scored a 2nd goal I had to pull into a layby, get out of the car and jump around....must have looked straightjacket certifiable but there you go.

I still pretend not care but took my Maw for a tour round Ibrox for her 80th, Jeez, she loved it and I enjoyed seeing her so happy.
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:30 am

I also believe that you should support your local team.

As a boy it was Hearts at Tynecastle, glory years when we watched Eusabio play for Benfica, Faccetti for AC Milan, and over at Fester Road Gento and Di Steffano of Real and Bremner and Giles of Leeds in the old Fair Cities Cup.

Down to London to follow the Spurs of Hoddle and Knowles.
Then to Suffolk to follow Robson's great Ipswich team, probably the best team I have watched at the best ground with the best atmosphere.
Then off to Wiltshire to follow Lou Macari take Swindon from 4th Division to
1st [then get banned]. Hoddle and then Ossie then put together a couple of great teams.

Back up to the west of Scotland to be amazed that sectarian bigotry was still alive and kicking so gave up on live football.

Watch Ayr rugby team occasionally. Good win the other night against Bristol.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:19 am

Re the Jam Tarts Doon, I'm sitting here looking at a picture of the 1959-60 First Division League Champions (Tommy Walker was Manager). The only player I have managed to retain some memory of though is Wee Hammy (Johnny Hamilton). Would I be correct in saying that his style of play was along the lines of Jimmy Johnstone? I also seem to recall being told that he was a bit gung-ho and slightly barmy!

Poor old Hearts though. They're more red than maroon these days, if you get my drift.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Time to just stop playing league football in Scotland, it is terrible.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi Gael
Jonny Hamilton had loads of enthuasium but not too much skill.
I remember my dad saying that if a paper bag had blown onto the pitch he would have chased that as well.

Willie Bauld, Alfie Conn, Dave McKay[Spurs] and Alex Young [Everton] were the stars in my time.
I also played golf with Gordon Smith and Lawrie Reilly of the Hibs 'famous Five'.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:53 am

super_realist wrote:Time to just stop playing league football in Scotland, it is terrible.

After watching my team slump to a record 6-1 home defeat against Stevenage Borough this afternoon, I'm beginning to think the same thing about league football in England! Rolling Eyes
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:25 pm

Mary_S wrote:Shanks - I think you have our ex-Manager, Paul Trollope, as Hughton's assistant. How do you rate him?

I don't know much about him TBH Mary, but the Blues are playing a more entertaining brand of football than they were under that luddite McLeish - even though he did get us that Carling Cup win which seems like 10 years ago. Supporters are happy with the management team, just need to turn a few more draws into wins. cheers
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Hi Gael
Jonny Hamilton had loads of enthuasium but not too much skill.
I remember my dad saying that if a paper bag had blown onto the pitch he would have chased that as well.

Willie Bauld, Alfie Conn, Dave McKay[Spurs] and Alex Young [Everton] were the stars in my time.
I also played golf with Gordon Smith and Lawrie Reilly of the Hibs 'famous Five'.

Fair enough Doon. I just seem to recall him darting hither and thither which he was probably quite good at - just so long as it didn't include a football as well! Smile

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:11 pm

super_realist wrote:Time to just stop playing league football in Scotland, it is terrible.

I blame the 'furriner' invasion. You may not be old enough to remember when it was Scotland who used to qualify for the World Cup (and not England!) but scottish football began to nosedive when scottish clubs started looking for players everywhere except their own bleedin' doorstep. Until that changes, Scotland might as as well hang up its boots and take up tiddlywinks.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Completely disagree. When Scotland were qualifying for World Cups they were over-achieving.
Also most of their players in the national team played in England for Man U, Liverpool, Ipswich, Everton, Arsenal etc at a much higher level, the SPL hasn't had any quality for years.
In the days of Laudrup, Larsson, Sutton etc there were probably more non Scots playing up here than there are today but the national team wasn't as low as it is now, and now our national team is worse than ever with fewer foreigner in the league.

I'd like to see the SPL switch to summer football, no idea why they play in the winter. Pittodrie or McDiarmid Park on a cold wet January evening must be hell, either that or just give it up altogether.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:08 am

SR
I think the national team is as good as it has ever been,

It's just the rest of the world that has improved sooooooooooo much.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:45 am

Mary_S wrote:BlueCoverman - as probably know, John Ward is an ex-Manager of both Bristol Rovers and C*ty. A very decent bloke, but football fans in Bristol are very fickle too! Rolling Eyes

Exeter at home tomorrow Mary, any repeat of Monday's 6-1 debacle and the boo boys will be out for Mr Ward that's for sure!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:18 pm

Will keep an eye out for that result, and fingers crossed for JW.

We are home to Crewe, and the natives are not happy after we threw away a 2-0 lead to Plymouth last week. Innocent

Is the comeback of Stevie G. going to be enough to lift Liverpool into a top 4 spot by the end of the season?
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:47 am

A much better day for us than you then Mary!...

If it is any consolation you conceded one goal less than we did on Monday!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:59 am

Glad that somebody has had a good day BC! Pleased for JW too. Smile

Apparently our manager "knows what we need to do". Why the hell doesn't he get on and do it then?? Only 5 points off the relegation zone now. Innocent
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:33 am

Thanks Mary, MK Dons on Monday - my first away trip of the season, so looking forward to that.

5 points off relegation?...nothing a couple of wins won't sort out!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:41 am

I've been to mk:stadium - it's the best venue for watching football because the bar is at the top of the stand and you can still watch the football whilst having a drink.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:52 am

Sounds good to me Merc...I'm on the supporters club coach so no need to worry about driving either!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:00 am

Howay the lads, one happy Mackem today.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Martin O'Neil magic seems to be working well.
He built a couple of fine teams at Celtic.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Mary
Out of interest how is Derek McInnes going down at City.

IMO he is a very good manager who will probably build a good team.
IF he is given the chance.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:56 pm

You don't say City to a Rovers fan Doon!...Football - which team do you support, and why?? - Page 2 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next