Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cricket Thread

+6
gaelgowfer
Jethro
Del_Boy
LadyPutt
LondonJonnyO
ChrisGG
10 posters

Go down

The Cricket Thread Empty The Cricket Thread

Post by ChrisGG Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:37 am

Any cricket followers on here? If so did you witness the epic Aussie collapse against New Zealand yesterday? lol!
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

The Cricket Thread Empty Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:39 am

Sorry Chris... but my involvement with cricket begins and ends with the cheap bar run by the local cricket club on a friday. Good though as the milfs are well worth the three minute walk
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:44 am

Haha nice one LJ, I may have to check the local cricket club out, haven't been there in a while, may be some new 'talent' there !
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:24 pm

I used to be a big cricket fan (I followed Hampshire all over the country until I discovered golf) but have to say that recently I have rather lost interest, firstly because I prefer the purity of 5-day Tests and 4-day Championship matches rather than ghastly T20 and secondly because LordPutt hates it and I rarely get a chance to watch!

It's great to see any Aussie collapse any day of the week.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Del_Boy Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Watch a little bit of cricket - gutted the little master hasn't got his 100 100's yet. Don't mind a bit of the 20 20 either. Pretty good that you can nip down after work see a game then go for a curry on the way home
Del_Boy
Del_Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:14 am

How about a quick story linking golf and cricket?

A golfing buddy of mine who knows stuff-all about any another sport (Leeds Utd supporter) was invited at the very last minute to make up a 4 man charity AM-AM team. He got to the first tee in a bit of a rush and was introduced to the rest of his team without really listening to their names. After a couple of holes he turned to one of his playing partners, pointed to another one and said "That black youth hits a good ball doesn't he?" to which the reply was "That black youth is Sir Gary Sobers to you mate".

bounce

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:24 am

Enjoy watching Test cricket but only after being lured in by the one day stuff (going back a bit now).

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by rangiora Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Happened to call in at home and watched the last 40 mins, great stuff.

rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Used to play a lot of cricket when I worked at 'Q' in Nam. As a lad I watched a lot of the three day and sunday 40 overs matches at Cheltenham Cricket Festival (the oldest festival of it's type in this country). Saw loads of the real legends of the game and have autographs of the West Indies players in their 'pomp' - Viv Richards, Joel Garner, Malcolm Marshall, Clive Lloyd, 'whispering death' Michael Holding. Not so fussed on all the razmatazz of the dumbed down T20 stuff - it's just blokes running around in fancy pyjamas as far as I can see Innocent
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:14 am

Noshankingtonite wrote:Used to play a lot of cricket when I worked at 'Q' in Nam. As a lad I watched a lot of the three day and sunday 40 overs matches at Cheltenham Cricket Festival (the oldest festival of it's type in this country). Saw loads of the real legends of the game and have autographs of the West Indies players in their 'pomp' - Viv Richards, Joel Garner, Malcolm Marshall, Clive Lloyd, 'whispering death' Michael Holding. Not so fussed on all the razmatazz of the dumbed down T20 stuff - it's just blokes running around in fancy pyjamas as far as I can see Innocent

Yes 'whispering death' I had the pleasure of seeing him bowl at Headingly in his prime. By far and away the smoothest run up and delivery of a cricket ball I have ever seen; poetry in motion.

Malcolm Marshall, on the otherhand was just pure effort....... but scary fast affraid (I like this smilie!)

You've got some odd jim jams NST

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:08 am

Yadsendew wrote:
Noshankingtonite wrote:Used to play a lot of cricket when I worked at 'Q' in Nam. As a lad I watched a lot of the three day and sunday 40 overs matches at Cheltenham Cricket Festival (the oldest festival of it's type in this country). Saw loads of the real legends of the game and have autographs of the West Indies players in their 'pomp' - Viv Richards, Joel Garner, Malcolm Marshall, Clive Lloyd, 'whispering death' Michael Holding. Not so fussed on all the razmatazz of the dumbed down T20 stuff - it's just blokes running around in fancy pyjamas as far as I can see Innocent

Yes 'whispering death' I had the pleasure of seeing him bowl at Headingly in his prime. By far and away the smoothest run up and delivery of a cricket ball I have ever seen; poetry in motion.

Malcolm Marshall, on the otherhand was just pure effort....... but scary fast affraid (I like this smilie!)

That was some West Indies team wasn't it? I was at Old Trafford the day Viv Richards got 170 odd to win an ODI when England had them in all sorts of trouble.

Scariest I ever saw was Dennis Lillie, must have been about 1971/72 at Grace Road Leicester - we were behind the fence at fine leg but I was still crapping myself. Now he was a mean dude!

Jethro

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:51 am

Im a big fan of test cricket, love it and all the stats that go with it. Its about the only sport I think I actually enjoy listening to on the radio, even if Geoffrey can do your head in somewhat.
Not remotely as jazzed by one day or 20/20 but dont mind the world cups. Its all the other tin pot series they have I could do without.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:47 am

Jethro wrote:
Yadsendew wrote:

That was some West Indies team wasn't it? I was at Old Trafford the day Viv Richards got 170 odd to win an ODI when England had them in all sorts of trouble.

Scariest I ever saw was Dennis Lillie, must have been about 1971/72 at Grace Road Leicester - we were behind the fence at fine leg but I was still crapping myself. Now he was a mean dude!

Yes I remember watching Lillie in a match between Australia and 'Young England' which had a certain Mr D I Gower among its ranks. Lillie was very quick. Frighteningly so. Despite that, Viv Richards never wore a helmet. He wasn't scared of anyone; not even fellow W Indies bowlers like Andy Roberts, Marshall, Holding etc. Glos had an absolutely legendary team as well; Mike Proctor - really weird bowling action off his 'wrong foot' and could bat a bit as well, Sadiq Mohhamad, Zaheer Abbass (one of the best off-side stroke makers in the game at the time) Jack Russell behind the stumps, Chris Broad and Andy Stovold too. Happy happy times sunny
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Sri Lanka struggling against SA this morning. Need 193 to make SA bat again and they've lost 4 wickets.
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:35 am

England aren't doing well in their warm up game against the Associates and Affiliates XI. Batting failed...only Cook posted a decent score.
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:48 am

Gonna be a bit rusty, wouldn't read too much into it apart from they could go into the tests a tad under cooked.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down