Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Boxing Thread

3 posters

Go down

Official Boxing Thread Empty Official Boxing Thread

Post by Redrage Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:18 am

Here is the link to the George Groves v Francisco Sierra fight from last night... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LOrArrNeXE

Groves looked very good in a tough, tough fight. He got a bad cut from a head clash in the 3rd but managed to to force a stoppage in the 6th. He showed a good chin against a guy who has KO'd 22 fighters, great speed and power. Adam Booth is turning him into a David Haye like fighter, lots of power punches and terrific speed to boot.
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Official Boxing Thread Empty Re: Official Boxing Thread

Post by Davie Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:52 am

As I assume this is meant to be about anything boxing related, I'd like to add a little bit of my own although I am by no means a boxing fan and probably won't add much more to the thread.

On Friday night I was involved in organizing and running a quiz night at my local boozer - me and one of the barmaids there were putting on a music quiz to coincide with the opening of the Olympics - she picked the music questions but I was "DJ Dave" for the night and I pulled all the music she set into four rounds of clips. The whole night was in aid of the MacMillan Nurses charity

As it happens, one of the pub regulars works for the agent/manager of two times world hevyweight champion Tim Witherspoon who apparently now spends most of his time in this country - she arranged for him to come and visit on the quiz night to sign autographs and have photos taken with people (it seems any cancer-related charity is very close to his heart and though he can still command appearance monies for personal appearances, this was his "night off" and he came just to help and have fun free of charge).

I would just like to say what a terrific guy he was - immensely approachable and so friendly with everyone - he brought a couple of boxing gloves and a pair of boxing shorts which were auctioned off and he personally signed them and had a photo taken with the highest bidder. I understand he is doing some exhibition stuff in this country (I don't know if he is fighting or just promoting) but if anyone is interested I'd like to encourage them to support it as he was such a great guy. I haven't looked up how old he is but he still looked in great shape - but it was his warmth and humility that impressed everyone that attended.

With his help and donations we raised £1000 on the night which for a small village pub was amazing - and it was mostly down to "Terrible Tim". A true gentleman
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:55 am

Yeah, Davie I set this thread up with a view to any boxing chat to develop in. Everything seemed to be be getting lumped into the Froch or Haye threads anyway.

Sounds like Witherspoon is a real gent of man. At his peak he was a very good fighter, two time world champion in fact. The bulk of his losses came when he was past his prime. He (like many) got badly dicked about by Don King, which is probably why he continued to fight on for so long.
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Cheers for the link Red. Good win for Groves, just nice to see him fight again really. Not sure about that low right hand, works for Haye against heavies who are slow and dont throw much and worked against the guy he was fighting who was a bit ponderous, but against a slicker super middle I think he'd struggle.
He is defintely a decent fighter Groves, still far from convinced he is much more that that but then again I and a lot of others thought the same about Froch and his career has turned out pretty well.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:25 am

The hand was low, but it wasn't against DeGale so I think he it is a tactical ploy. I think he'll have a world title inside 2 years, he picks his punches really well. He takes a good shot and has a very good trainer in Adam Booth. He doesn't have obvious one punch power, but his record speaks for itself. Sierra's corner were very quick to get the towel in after the first punch after the knockdown landed.
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down