Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy League News Flash! 'smithersjones' Rallies to Share Winner's Circle with 'Redrage' in Preseason Opener!

+7
faldono1fan
BlueCoverman
Mary_S
Redrage
Maverick
Davie
venice1
11 posters

Go down

Fantasy League News Flash! 'smithersjones' Rallies to Share Winner's Circle with 'Redrage' in Preseason Opener! Empty Fantasy League News Flash! 'smithersjones' Rallies to Share Winner's Circle with 'Redrage' in Preseason Opener!

Post by venice1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:01 am

The results are in for the very first GolfChatUK Fantasy League preseason event and if it’s an indication of things to come, it is going to be a wild and woolly year. It is apropos that there’s a tie for first place between Redrage and smithersjones. Both scored 166 points and somehow held off a determined effort by raycastleunited, who fell one point shy of making it the old “Three Men in a Tub” routine. Not sure there would have been enough soap to go around.

And it is interesting to note that the newly instituted points awarded for last place had a say in the outcome. Redrage held the lead from Day 1 and looked to be the winner only to be tied at the tape by smithersjones at the very last moment when his pick of Oliver Wilson secured the all important 10 points necessary to deny Redrage the outright win. The first designated rivalry of the newly created league is certain to boil over into next week's final preseason event.

The best pick of the tournament may have been Mary_S’s pick of previously unknown Lyle Rowe who finished tied for 8th. Of course she stated in another post, “Nice round of 8 under for my son's mate, Lyle Rowe today.”, so we may have to put a disclaimer in with the keen pick of the tourney.

Mustputtbetter was the lone person to chose Emiliano Grillo for low round of the day worth 10 points. Redrage was shutout after picking the low score for the first 3 rounds.

Finally, Oliver Wilson snatched a loss from the jaws of victory with a double bogey on the final hole to tie Ockie Strydom for last place honors. Ockie mis-stepped with an nonstrategic birdie on 18 minutes earlier. Nobody chose Ockie but the 3 who know how to spot at least one loser (Ollie) when they see him: smithersjones, Davie and Mav each received 10 points for their distorted perception.

(There will be a review and likely change of the tie-breaking rules before the first official event begins in a couple of weeks.)

NOTE: There's been a correction in the final scoring but the top 4 results remain the same. 10 points (best score of the day) which were omitted in error have been restored to the following: Redrage, smithersjones, raycastleunited, BlueCoverman, Doc, hogie, oldparwin, and LadyPutt. The final scores reflect the changes and are now current.

FINAL RESULTS FOR THE AFICA OPEN:
(GolfChatUK Fantasy League – Preseason 1 Event)

1. Redrage: 50 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 86 = 166
smithersjones: 50 + 10 + 10 + 86 + 10L = 166

3. raycastleunited: 50 + 10 + 10 + 95 = 165

4. BlueCoverman: 25 + 10 + 10 + 95 = 140

5. Doc: 25 + 10 + +10 + 85 = 130

6. Mustputtbetter: 25 + 10 + 81 + 10 = 126

7. Davie: 25 + 10 + 10 + 57 + 10L = 112

8. hogie: 15 + 10 + +10 + 65 = 100

9. Mary_S: 20 + 10 + 63 = 93

10. venice1: 25 + 10 + 53 = 88

11. Yadsendew: 25 + 10 + 50 = 85
faldono1fan: 25 + 10 + 50 = 85

13. oldparwin: 25 + 10 + 38 = 73

14. LadyPutt: 25 + 10 + 10 + 22 = 67

15. oldshanker: 20 + 0 + 37 = 57

16. Maverick: 20 + 10 + 7 + 10L = 47

17. Noshankingtonite: 15 + 0 + 14 = 29

Last edited by venice1 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fantasy League News Flash! 'smithersjones' Rallies to Share Winner's Circle with 'Redrage' in Preseason Opener! Empty Re: Fantasy League News Flash! 'smithersjones' Rallies to Share Winner's Circle with 'Redrage' in Preseason Opener!

Post by Davie Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:51 am

Great stuff venice - for a trial run it seemed to work very well! Look forward to the next one and hopefully we can get a few more people to join in the fun Cross Fingers
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Fantasy League News Flash! 'smithersjones' Rallies to Share Winner's Circle with 'Redrage' in Preseason Opener! Empty Re: Fantasy League News Flash! 'smithersjones' Rallies to Share Winner's Circle with 'Redrage' in Preseason Opener!

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:03 am

Well done Venice much appreciated! Glad I'm not quite last! At the moment!

Whens the next event and I'll sort out the player listings you asked for good fellow
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:06 am

Chuffed to have a W, even a shared W. Drew a blank last year after winning the Masters and El Hassan II and finishing 2nd by 2 points in the OOM.

One things and it may cost me, I don't follow the scoring. By my count I had 136.

Oosthuizen, 50 + 10 = 60
Sterne, 15 + 10 = 25
Aiken, 7 + 10 = 17
Norris, 7
Grace, 7
6 Cuts made = 20

20 + 7 + 7 + 17 + 25 + 60 = 136

I suspect there is an error in your spreadsheet formulae somewhere. Cheers for your hard work and effort this weekend and the year ahead. The updates a great touch.
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:39 am

By my calculations... Smitherjones wins (146 points) by virtue of the 10pt bonus for picking the worst player, I'd be 2nd on 136, Raycastle 3rd with 135.

Allow me to be the first to call him a jammy bastard congratulate, SJ! Cool

Last edited by Redrage on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:39 am

Cheers Venice - think I'm getting the hang of how it works.

Some very good scores there, I don't think I will be troubling the leaders when the main event starts!

'Twas pure luck with Lyle Rowe - I only picked him from Cat C because he's a friend of my son.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 am

Mary_S wrote:
'Twas pure luck with Lyle Rowe - I only picked him from Cat C because he's a friend of my son.

I suspect that's a much better reason than most of the rest of us had for our Cat C (and B!) picks!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:53 am

Brilliant stuff Venice thanks...I think that there will be plenty of fun and banter to be had with the fantasy league this season!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks Venice. Looking forward to really getting into this.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:23 am

Whoohoo - I didn't come last and in fact there was a late surge and I ended up next to ladyputt - can't think of a nicer place to be. Wink
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 am

Well, I knew Ollie Wilson had to turn things around sometime, just glad it turned out not to be this week!

Very modest of you Redrage, but I make Venice spot on;

I make my score

Loius 50 + 10
Van Zyl 18
Sterne 15 + 10
Fichardt 3
Ollie 10
6 cuts 30 + 20

60 + 18 + 25 + 3 + 10 + 50 = 156

And Redrage

Louis 50 + 10
Sterne 15 + 10
Aiken 7 + 10
Grace 7
Norris 7
6 cuts 30 + 20

60 + 25 + 17 + 7 + 7 + 50 = 156

Which means you're a jammy git too congratulations to you too!

Thanks again Venice, I may have to retire while I'm at the top!

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:48 am

Redrage wrote:By my count I had 136.

Oosthuizen, 50 + 10 = 60
Sterne, 15 + 10 = 25
Aiken, 7 + 10 = 17
Norris, 7
Grace, 7
6 Cuts made = 20

20 + 7 + 7 + 17 + 25 + 60 = 136

I suspect there is an error in your spreadsheet formulae somewhere. Cheers for your hard work and effort this weekend and the year ahead. The updates a great touch.

Hi Rr,

I actually did miscalculate on yours and a few others. The corrections have been noted in the OP. The 30 points you forgot to add to your total comes from having 6 picks making the cut. Everyone receives 5 points for each pick making the cut. You still receive these points as well as the 20 bonus points for selecting all six. So you actually get 50 total points when all 6 of your picks make the cut. If you only have 5 picks make the cut, you only receive 25 points, 4 receives 20 points, etc.

It puts a nice premium on making solid choices throughout the year to increase scoring opportunities. One can also associate it to a golfer who consistently hits the fairways, they're not home yet but it's usually a good start. But congratulations to you, smithersjones, and raycastleunited for the 4 day battle. It was neck and neck and neck the whole tourney.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:56 pm

venice1 wrote:
Hi Rr,

I actually did miscalculate on yours and a few others. The corrections have been noted in the OP. The 30 points you forgot to add to your total comes from having 6 picks making the cut.

I didn't realise that was a bonus on top of the points for the cut made, great stuff!

smithersjones wrote:

Which means you're a jammy git too congratulations to you too!

Thanks again Venice, I may have to retire while I'm at the top!

king Very happy to share this crown!
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Great stuff Venice. Well done - this is shaping up to be a really fun competition.

Congrats to RR and SJ. Only 1 point behind... so near yet so far!
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:53 pm

I'd love to be able to say the aforementioned Grillo pick was inspired but i couldn't even tell you what he looks like! I just have a client with the same name so went for him?!

Luckily i also have clients named McIlroy, Donald, Westwood and Kaymer Smile

Thanks Venice for organising the comp. Great job

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:26 am

I had a bit too much to drink yesterday, didn't I? We were both on 166, not 156.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:39 am

smithersjones wrote:I had a bit too much to drink yesterday, didn't I? We were both on 166, not 156.

Could also be that the ale was flowing while the tables were being calculated. The pink elephants have left the room and all is back in order.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:03 am

venice1 wrote:
smithersjones wrote:I had a bit too much to drink yesterday, didn't I? We were both on 166, not 156.

Could also be that the ale was flowing while the tables were being calculated. The pink elephants have left the room and all is back in order.

Which all means I am no longer side by side with Ladyputt!!

Damn you Venice for interfering with my fun, but thank you for running this.

Next!!!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:10 am

oldshanker wrote:
venice1 wrote:

Next!!!

I'm sure that just underneath her is just as much fun OS! Innocent Fantasy League News Flash! 'smithersjones' Rallies to Share Winner's Circle with 'Redrage' in Preseason Opener! 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:14 am

BlueCoverman wrote:
oldshanker wrote:
venice1 wrote:

Next!!!

I'm sure that just underneath her is just as much fun OS! Innocent Fantasy League News Flash! 'smithersjones' Rallies to Share Winner's Circle with 'Redrage' in Preseason Opener! 3497602689

Twisted Evil

Darn it, now I'm just embarrassed. Embarassed
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down