Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Hyundai Tournament of Champions, Kapalua

+9
drive4show
BlueCoverman
raycastleunited
venice1
LadyPutt
gaelgowfer
Doc
smithersjones
Davie
13 posters

Go down

PGA Tour: Hyundai Tournament of Champions, Kapalua Empty PGA Tour: Hyundai Tournament of Champions, Kapalua

Post by Davie Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Kwini I ain't - so no essay from me on the upcoming tournament (Fri-Mon this week - is Monday some sort of public holiday in the USA? Roland Raygun day of sumfink....)

Anyway - with luck there will be things to talk about, even if it's only the stunning scenery at Kapalua, so this is the place to do it!

Last edited by Davie on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Hyundai Tournament of Champions, Kapalua Empty Re: PGA Tour: Hyundai Tournament of Champions, Kapalua

Post by smithersjones Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:51 pm

Can someone copy and paste Kwini's article? Razz

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Hyundai Tournament of Champions, Kapalua Empty Re: PGA Tour: Hyundai Tournament of Champions, Kapalua

Post by Doc Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:12 am

Is this the course we saw last year, where Phil never hit a fairway and almost won the whole thing? he was hitting greens from fairway bunkers which makes a mockery of penalties for errant shots
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:13 am

Just remember to switch off the Miller/Faldo commentary when watching.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:54 am

Here's Kwini's article!

Happy New Year is out the window over here as rhetoric emanating from Iowa will attest, so let's use these Notes to stop looking in the proverbial "rear-view mirror" and ahead to this week and this year:

1).A beleagured "Hyundai Tournament of Champions" gets underway this week, on FRIDAY! Only 28 of the 39 eligible players will be teeing it up but at least Freddie Jacobson, Dustin Johnson, and Brandt Snedeker will get paid (about $50K apiece) as they are no-shows for medical reasons.

2).Those not playing this week miss a golden opportunity to notch up a couple of quick starts on the PGA Tour, not important to most Americans of course but crucial to those such as Scott and Schwartzel, Rory and Rose who ply their trade on multiple Tours and could struggle to fit in the minimum 15 events. They are also missing the Plantation Course at Kapalua, a Coore/Crenshaw masterpiece which offers glorious (mostly Pacific Ocean)views from almost every hole.

3).But let's use these Notes to assess the chances of Europeans on the PGA Tour this year, as categorised by the FedEx Play-Off cut offs, top 30, 70, 100, 125 etc plus the conditional status accorded to the money list top 150. A note of caution which may be pervasive in these comments: I see this year as being a crucial one for our favourite Europeans on the PGA Tour: They're not getting any younger, only Rory McIlroy younger than Martin Laird's 29 years, most of the rest now well into their mid-thirties. And: What is the motivation for those playing both Tours? Are they committed or are they just playing follow the leader? That won't work against a re-focussed Woods and the Young Americans.

4).Top Thirty (Tour Championship):
~Donald: Luke Donald has managed his schedule superbly, but am convinced that one of the secrets to his 2011 success is the almost 3-month break he took prior to the season. I would be alarmed that he's playing in the Middle East and would suggest he'll pay for that. No Majors for Luke but can see a Players win and possibly a lesser event (Heritage?). Consistent as always.

~Westwood: Big year for Lee and I think he'll go balls out to make it the best it can be. Not sure about big wins but a boatload of top finishes in his future. US spotlight on McIlroy and the Fowler/Simpson generation of Americans will only help his low-key personality.

~Casey: Struggling with fitness until the end of the year and not fully exempt, he is nevertheless in all the Majors and WGC's and there may be a chip on his shoulder. But he needs some big finishes, preferably a win, early. WGC MatchPlay?

~Garcia: Good rebuilding year in 2011 for Sergio and still relatively under the radar. Took a nice winter break and will flourish in 2012.

~Karlsson: Now or never for the big Swede. Fit and two years of acclimation under his belt, I expect a win (Charlotte or Memphis maybe?). Very consistent in Majors.

5).BMW: 31 - 70:
~McIlroy: Rory is in for a tough year as the American press will be building up a Tiger rivalry for him. Is he mature enough to handle it? Signs not good in my eyes; he should be in Hawaii this week and his absence begs the Wozza question. Will his distractions get the better of him or will they make him stronger? Expect a win on one of the parkland courses he favours (Augusta, Memorial or Q.Hollow), but also inconsistency and missed cuts. He got knackered last time around and his recent schedule suggests he hasn't learned much. One of the best young sportsmen from the British Isles in the past sixty years, but will he have the mental fortitude to match? Jury out, but he's very young for the expectations heaped upon him. Patience!

~Poulter, McDowell: Disapppointing 2011's for both, and they'll each need a good start to get their years on track. Reports that Poults will miss time as he welcomes a baby-Gooner and he'll likely struggle to cram events in (as he did last year) as a result. Expect both to do well in Florida, but neither long/accurate enough to prosper on the courses the Tour takes in later in the year. Tears for at least one come Ryder Cup time.

~Jacobson, Rose: May have placed one or both higher but each kicks off the season on the bench, Freddie nursing ligament damage to his thumb, Justin changing nappies. My comments about Rose missing "Hawaii" were regrettably inappropriate, but the fact remains that he made a mess of his schedule when little Leo reared his head three yrs ago and getting his year off to a slow start won't suit him. No Major top tens since the 2008 PGA. Caution for Freddie Jac, as it's not clear how bad his thumb injury is. What we DO know is that thumb injuries derailed Anthony Kim's career. Memo to Fred: Get fully healthy first, then wait another month before returning.

~Laird: Underrated, understated, just as he seems to like it. Hopefuly he'll get off to a rousing start this week in Kapalua. Two wins and two play-off losses the past 2 1/2 years suggest he'll contend again in 2012, but much will depend on that long putter of his.

6).Deutsche Bank: 71 - 100:
~Davis: Time Brian Davis won, but no top fives last year and he doesn't usually get going until the "Florida Swing", even though next week's visit to Waialae CC should suit him. Possible threat at shorter courses, Harbour Town, Travelers, Colonial, Reno.

~Pettersson: Poor year after contending at Kapalua but seems to rebound just as we count him out.

7).Barclays: 101 - 125:
~Harrington, Stenson: Time for the two biggest wildcards. We all know they could turn the form book upside down at any moment. Either or both could easily bounce back to win one of the big tournaments, but they're not getting any younger and, if last year is anything to go by, neither is getting any better. Would like to see Padraig play a full California schedule, Pebble Beach and Riviera at least.

Cool.Conditional Status for 2013: 126 - 150:
~Blixt, Knox: The young Swede and the young Scot will both want to get off to a good start whilst their post-Nationwide status is strong. Knox made his 2011 season with a high finish in the Bay Area and hopefully he'll reprise that, whereas Blixt played well towards year's end. Definitely both ones to watch and would be no surprise to see either in the FedEx play-offs.

9).The rest: 151+:
~Chopra, Owen: Certifiable journeymen. Early tournaments will tell their tale, especially Owen who's played so well at Pebble in the past and endured that historic close shave at Bay Hill. Chopra is capable of going as low as anyone on Tour, just not for two consecutive rounds and his driver will ensure he goes back to Q-School.

~Cejka, Johnson: Limited status for both. Would think Cejka is capable of bouncing back eventually, but Richard S just doesn't hit it far enough. Would be good to see both playing some events in Europe.

~Christian: One of the oldest "rookies" on Tour for many years the quiet man from Surrey will surely enjoy the experience even if his year concludes back at Q-School. Any six-figure cheques will be a very pleasant surprise but a great sense of humour and a fun interview. TV in his future?

~Olazabal, Parnevik: Still have some status on Medical Exemptions. Wish them good health but any tournament success this side of the Champions Tour will be a very pleasant surprise.

10).Remember: There'll be a Friday start to Kapalua and a Monday finish. Set your British Isles alarm clocks for an early wake-up call to see how the hotshot Americans, Simpson, Bradley, Haas follow up their 2011 seasons, to see if Stricker is fit, whether Lucas Glover still has his beard (no top tens since his May win in Charlotte), Rory Sabbatini can win after two second place finishes or Martin Laird can belatedly celebrate Hogmanay. Happy New Year indeed.

Hope he doesn't mind but it's always a great read Rolling Eyes
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:26 am

Not sure he'll be very happy about it being cut'n'paste here LP - but we'll leave it until and unless there is a complaint made
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:44 am

Davie wrote:(Fri-Mon this week - is Monday some sort of public holiday in the USA? Roland Raygun day of sumfink....)

The only thing going on is the first weekend of the NFL playoffs. Not too many broadcasts want to go up against the games so I believe the PGA Tour folk moved the dates to avoid embarrassing viewership numbers for their season opener. But they may be honoring a famous American's birthday for January 9th as in Richard Nixon Evil or Very Mad No . Luckily Lee Van Cleef (Innocent Whistling to the tune of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly") was also born on that day so I'll be honoring his name if I have to pick a holiday to celebrate.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:57 am

My fiancee wants to go to Kapalua for our honeymoon. She hates golf. How do I convince her to let me play the plantation course?
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:32 am

raycastleunited wrote:My fiancee wants to go to Kapalua for our honeymoon. She hates golf. How do I convince her to let me play the plantation course?

Maybe 2 or 3 of these spa treatment gifts might cover the 5 or so hours while you are "quietly walking the grounds" until she's been pampered to death so you take her out for a romantic dinner afterwards. Don't forget to hide the scorecard and pencils stamped "Plantation Course" in your toiletry bag and don't post your score online or reminisce about birdieing the par 5 18th hole. Twisted Evil

http://www.kapalua.com/images/stories/kap_spa/specials/holiday_robe.pdf
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:01 am

raycastleunited wrote:My fiancee wants to go to Kapalua for our honeymoon. She hates golf. How do I convince her to let me play the plantation course?

Venice ... are you a man or a mouse? Laughing

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:27 am

Tell her that she can have first pick in the Fantasy League!... PGA Tour: Hyundai Tournament of Champions, Kapalua 3497602689
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:30 am

gaelgowfer wrote:

Venice ... are you a man or a mouse? Laughing

I stand corrected Gael, squeek, squeek. That was supposed to be the plan for the 10th wedding anniversary trip as I got the cue cards mixed up. What I meant to say was, "Woman! Get in that cart and act like a proper caddie girl, always ready to deliver me pint after pint while cheering for each one of my swings and smart enough to race ahead and kick my wayward shots out of the rough. And don't forget: the smaller the outfit, the bigger the tip! Now where's my cigar?" king
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:49 am

Aarghh! Profuse apologies venice ... wrong poster!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:31 am

Ah Lee Van Cleef day!

Of course if they'd finished on Sunday as normal it could have been Elvis day or even Steven Hawking day!
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:27 am

Davie wrote:Not sure he'll be very happy about it being cut'n'paste here LP - but we'll leave it until and unless there is a complaint made

I promise not to tell him if you do the same Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:42 am

An ocean view room at the Ritz Carlton, a spa treatment and dinner at Sansei and she'll be putty in your hands. All you have to do then is appoint her the chief buggy driver and photographer for the day. It doesn't matter whether she loves or hates golf the views at Kapalua will take her breath away and she'll love it.
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:48 am

Do it late in the honeymoon. And give her a damn good seeing to for the first week or so until she is so sore she wants you to kip on the sofa. That way she'll be glad to be rid of you as no-one likes a puppy humping their leg every five minutes.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:58 am

Well they're underway, looks like the trades are blowing, that should hold back the birdie-fest.

Looks like a really thin field to be honest No Rory, Luke or Justin Rose. Only one Brit (Laird) Only one former champion i.e. Byrd from last year.

Gawd, I could never imagine turning down the chance to play there
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:25 am

Am I the only one who see's the simple asnwer to the qiestion! How do I convince her to let me play the plantation course on honeymoon!!!!! Simply inform her no pay on honeymoon equals no wedding!!!!!!!!

Interesting field most turning down the chance to play! They're all nuts, I'd donate a testicle to get paid to play it like they do!

See Glovers gone and done and Ogilvy and injured himself in the surf pre-event!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:26 am

I should add to previous post (can't be arsed to edit it) that if the future Mrs takes you up on the option of no wedding! Then you still win as the money saved can take you across the pond to play it anyway! Win, Win situation IMO
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 am

Matchsticks in the eyes to prop up eye lids but enjoying seeing my fave guy on tour Mr Quiet Stricker doing the business.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:47 pm

At least the final round should be a bit more watchable - SS coverage starts at 9 tonight I think and Stricker in final group tees off at 9:05 pm
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Maverick wrote:I should add to previous post (can't be arsed to edit it) that if the future Mrs takes you up on the option of no wedding! Then you still win as the money saved can take you across the pond to play it anyway! Win, Win situation IMO

No wedding would save me enough money to take me and my mates across the pond to play it every week!

Now there's an idea.....
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:54 am

To stay up and watch the conclusion or to sky+ it...that is the question. I don't see Stricker blowing it from that position but it should be good to watch how his brilliant short games stands up to defending a big lead.

Ray, when are you going to be out there? (assuming you grab the bull by the horns, assert your authority and TELL her where you're taking her and that she WILL enjoy it...or else!!)

I've already started planning my 2012 trip and might well include it in my Hawaii itinery again. Definitely doing Oahu & Kauai and if I can squeeze the right deal I'll have a couple of days in Maui too.
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:07 am

C'mon Laird!!!, this is shaping up quite nicely...Sky+ can have the night off!!
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:26 am

WTG JAS! Someone's actually catching the great action here. It certainly is heating up... And Stricker is stuck in first gear for the moment. Let's hope it's a barnburner going out.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:28 am

I love it Venice, I think only PB competes with it visually the whole year. For all that it is dramatic and spectacular, it is one of the easiest venues on tour (statistically) but it's a reminder that golf should be about sheer enjoyment. If you can't enjoy golf on that course you really should have your clubs confiscated and not be allowed to play anywhere.

It's looking like Stricker has weathered the storm, fair play to him, he hasn't let a couple of putting setbacks get to him. Laird on the other hand appears to have shot his bolt.
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:49 am

I may have to save up some coins to play the course one day. It does look spectacular. Laird is attempting to right the course but it's too late.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:18 am

Do it Venice...Having said that, there are plenty of other options in the Hawaiian islands. I have a timeshare in Princeville which I visit most years. The nearby Prince course is the top course in the islands and the Makai is much improved. On Oahu I love the brutal challenge of Ko'olau. Another option if you want to push the boat out on the islands is to do one of the 2 Four Seasons resorts on Lanai, each has a cracking course attached (Koele & Manele Bay)
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks for the info JAS. I will have to put in for a bank loan with my brother (the one who invested his money wisely as opposed...) and sign up to do chores for the rest of my life.

Laird is puting in a valiant effort.
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 pm

JAS wrote:
Ray, when are you going to be out there? (assuming you grab the bull by the horns, assert your authority and TELL her where you're taking her and that she WILL enjoy it...or else!!)

I was looking at the reviews on the top100 website and some bloke called JAS seems to have been there....

We'll be there late June / early July. Planning to spend a few days on Oahu, Maui and Big Island. Not booked yet, but every hotel that the future mrs suggests seems to have at least one championship golf course.

I'll definitely get a round or two in, but it won't turn into a golf holiday. She's not that bad really... I wouldn't marry someone who thought it was alright to book us in to a luxury golf resort (on my credit card) and then ban me from playing golf!
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:42 pm

She's not that bad really...

Sheesh, talk about being damned with faint praise.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Assuming this is a pga tour counting event, it's a nice start for Laird in more ways than one. He's not been on the tour long enough to take things for granted so banking $650k towards retaining his card must take quite a bit of pressure off him in that respect.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Gael it is indeed a counting event but laird doesn't have to worry about his card anyway for next year thanks to his exemption for winning BayHill last year.

Much as I'm no Laird fan at least the only European in the field did well
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks Mav ... forgotten about that. Maybe that's why he got off to a good start then ... nae pressure! Wink

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm

or that as the only European he knew he would have the pressure of being on camera, even if he's winning.

Mind you, Laird is more of a Yank than Scottish these days.......

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down