Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Talking Points

+4
LadyPutt
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
Doc
8 posters

Go down

US Open Talking Points Empty US Open Talking Points

Post by Doc Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Well much to discuss I think:

1) What about those stupid octupus pants, which made big John's look restrained.
2) Rory being a total prat and made himself fall in many peoples estimations. Didn't look good on TV and it will have cost him many US fans. Nike will also be pissed off with him too!!
3) Justin Rose; take a bow and although he's never been a big fav of mine, I'm chuffed for him.
4) Some decent performances from Europeans, high scores but taken in context Casey, Pod and many more did great. Luke and Lee were better than Tiger and even Poults looked decent if you forget his card.
5) Ok big debate about the US Open course set-up. Every year we see high scoring and it does make a nice change to see top players cry like the rest of us ..... But was Merion too tough for a major, or should it be toughened up.
6) Anyone want Phil to win instead of coming 2nd for the 6th time?
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

US Open Talking Points Empty Re: US Open Talking Points

Post by Davie Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:15 am

1) Didn't see them
2) What did young Coco do this time? I doubt I'll be surprised though whatever you tell me!
3) Nothing to add - superb result and couldn't happen to a nice bloke (also won me a few quid!)
4) Agreed - Poults and Casey were particularly pleasing to me
5) I thought Merion was brilliant. The scores showed there WERE birdies out there but they had to work hard for them - and even the pars. Not sure it would or could be toughened up any more but it was perfect the way it was. I wonder what we would score around there even off the members' tees?
6) Not me. Can't stand the bloke
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:04 am

In the one other piece of US Open news that I know, apart from Justin winning and Phil coming second, Coco broke his 9 iron on the 11th in frustration over a poor shot.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:23 am

That's right, GG. I don't expect Nike were too keen to see him do that! What a pillock!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 pm

I stand by my assessment. Rory is a cock.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:07 am

I'm beginning to agree with you, LJ. I liked him when he first came on the scene - a breath of fresh air - but now he's NBF with Woods, he's as much of a cock as he is! I think he needs to go back home to the discipline of his family and stop being such an idiot.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:29 am

He's worse than Tiger.

Breaking clubs? Never seen Woods do that.

And the comment to the press... If you want to be part of the circus you need to put up with the clowns... and when asked what he meant saying You figure it out and storming off... What a complete tosser.

As much as I admire his ability to hit a golf ball I would never want my kids to look up to someone like that.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:06 am

Hadn't heard that comment before - he really is becoming a petulant idiot. Needs to take a leaf out of Justin Rose's book of being a gentleman.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Wasn't so long ago that Rory was the golfer with the world at his feet. talked about as being the most gifted player ever, the next Tiger etc. he quickly showed the world the potential as he decimated the field at Quayle Hollow with some of the best golf ever seen on TV. The world felt sorry for him at Augusta when he had a car wreck and blew up on course. He came straight back to win a major ...... His life since then has become one one of believing his press, petulance, thinks he's too good to practice, thinks he can manage his affairs better than the team of people who nurtured him and made him into a superstar. He's now changed management again as well as the clubs that made him. he'll do anything for money and whilst he's doing that he's making a cock of himself in front of the world press and TV stations.

Role model he aint, and there are plenty of sports stars who can show a bit of dignity. Players like Beckham, Lee Westwood, Luke Donald, Big Ernie, Jack ...... any of these and many more you would want your kids to emulate as they have class. Rory you're a cock a deserve to be lambasted
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:14 pm

I sit and watch old Jack videos with my son. As well as people like Ernie, Hogan, Booby Jones and others who were not just at the very top of the game but behaved in a manner which allows young kids to emulate them without fear of becoming one of those who is avoided on the course.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:24 pm

I see Rory was at Eastbourne yesterday watching his girlfriend play tennis. Why wasn't he on the course getting in some much-needed practice (or trying to straighten out his 9 iron)?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:54 pm

I guess he was more concerned with sorting out a different type of stiff shaft Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:01 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:I sit and watch old Jack videos with my son. As well as people like Ernie, Hogan, Booby Jones and others who were not just at the very top of the game but behaved in a manner which allows young kids to emulate them without fear of becoming one of those who is avoided on the course.

Booby Jones, the same man who stormed off at the 11th at St Andrews ??

Passionate men are always liable to act on impulse & regret later.

Get off Chico's back, he's still only a boy.

A boy with loads of cash, but still a boy.
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:56 am

storming off the course is different to breaking clubs, talking to people the way he does, behaving like he is the most important thing in the world to everyone even slightly aware of him and all of the other shit that he gets up to.

And he's not a boy. He's a 24 year old man.

How long do you wait before you stop maknig excuses for behaving like a complete tit? 30? 40 perhaps?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:30 am

Is Rory in danger of becoming a bit like John Daly?  Incredibly talented yet doesn't appear to want to work to maintain his high performances?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:53 am

If he has 4 wives like JD then I hope his new management company have got plenty of cash lined up for him US Open Talking Points 3461234324
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:06 am

Maybe that's why he had to get Nike bats...

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshanking Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:01 am

He would benefit hugely by being paired with someone like Tom Watson at the Open. Perhaps he could have a word in his shell-like about how you can perform at the highest levels of the game yet still act with dignity and humility........
Noshanking
Noshanking

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:34 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:storming off the course is different to breaking clubs, talking to people the way he does, behaving like he is the most important thing in the world to everyone even slightly aware of him and all of the other shit that he gets up to.

And he's not a boy. He's a 24 year old man.

How long do you wait before you stop making excuses for behaving like a complete tit? 30? 40 perhaps?

Watching the British & Irish Lions playing on Saturday (and they were soooo lucky to scrape a win!) I made a comparison between the captain, Sam Warburton (age 24) and Rory McIlroy (age 24) - who is the more mature?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:24 am

But who has got the most money? Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Blue money has nothing to do with understanding and respecting that there is more to golf than sitting on top of the game.

Love him or hate him even Woods understands that without the normal players making it a sport that is watched he would be nowhere... Look at his foundation and other areas that he gives back to the lower levels. And although he acts in a less than appropriate manner at times he doesn't come up with the nonsense that this cock is spouting at every opportunity.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:13 pm

I know LJ, just trying to stir it up! US Open Talking Points 3461234324

I played at The Essex at the weekend where, of course, the Essex Amateur was held a couple of weeks ago and as we discussed the scoring was very high. By all accounts the comments and behaviour of a lot of the youngsters competing was definitely more like Rory McIlroy than Sam Warburton!

Anyway on the Woods foundation thing, isn't that all just a big tax dodge? Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:17 am

I've always been a fan of the super-rich taxing themselves. You tend to find they put more into causes they believe in where they would try to avoid taxation by the government.

Tends to work at the corporate level as well. All you need to do is suggest the right thing to them and they will pour money into it thus focusing government funding into a tighter area.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:12 am

Call me cynical if you like LJ but I suspect the super-rich will put it wherever it costs them the least...and who can blame them!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Blue that's why believe self taxation is more effective.

They wll always hide it offshore (swiss accounts, cayman islands etc...) but if they are using their wealth to fund something they see as worthwhile then we don't need to fund the same sort of thing.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down