Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out Of Action

+7
LadyPutt
BlueCoverman
Mary_S
Davie
oldshanker
1GrumpyGolfer
Doc
11 posters

Go down

Out Of Action Empty Out Of Action

Post by Doc Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Guys and gals, not been around for a week or so due to having a heart attack last SATURDAY morning!! Right about now this time last week I was having a stent fitted into an artery in my heart at Leeds heart center. What a week!!!

Got up last week and went to Malton to play 18-holes with my brother, and was spanking him by 7-points as we walked up he 9th. Started feeling hot and sweaty and chest feeling tight and uncomfortable. Slowed down for a breather which was different as I had just hit a nice 3-wood into the green-side bunker. Legs like jelly, dripping wet and seeing stars so just got on my knees in the sand and couldn't get my breath. Game over, but lucky that I was next to the pro shop ..... Paramedics hooked me up inside the ambulance and decided to bypass the local hospitals and blue light me to Leeds, where a crash team were waiting for me. Sorted within 90-minutes and on the cardiac ward feeling great.

Released from hospital Monday and still feeling well, although I now realise that it will take me a few weeks to get fit again. Doing an exercise regime and just taken my first walk which has goosed me. I only went out for a few hundred yards and back home, but jeez its tough. They reckon at least 4-weeks before I can hit a few range balls again. I will be back though as soon as I can, but have had to accept that I was a lucky bloke, because I can understand why so many of us drop dead on the course now, I was by the club house.

Going to be a couple of months away from work and not allowed to play golf whilst being off is hard. Box set DVD's for while I'm afraid.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Out Of Action Empty Re: Out Of Action

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Christ Doc, glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. Scary times especially with what happened to Merc's mate at his club. Like you say could have been a lot different if you were in another spot on the course. Good luck and best wishes for your recovery Cross Fingers

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:40 am

Hell Doc - that sounds awful - Always good to play a course where the 9th green is back at the clubhouse and you have just given us another compelling reason. Glad to hear you're on the recovery path, slow and easy is the way I believe, it's not as though you're a 'lardy' either!
If you are going for box sets, can I suggest that you forget about 'House', they are all the bloody same - mystery illness, no-one can work out what it is except for House and no-one believes him, he is proved right in the end. *yawn*

I think I can find a home for your car by the way Innocent

oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Get well soon Doc! Must've been quite a scare for you - take it easy!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Fairly fit, slim and body mass all within accepted boundaries. The only issue was smoking I suppose, but I'm not going to blame that alone. High pressure job that's just gone through 18-month of change hasn't helped, and the wife blames that. She says the job has aged me by 10=years over the last 12-months, so fook em in future, I'm looking after No1 now, although I stopped smoking last Saturday morning, in fact I think I had one in my mouth when I took a nose dive into the captains bunker Innocent

Remember guys and gals, it happens to many every year, who you think it will never happen to. Take your mobile onto the course!!!!! and any information about medication etc. 999 and tell them exactly where you are, and then phone the pro shop and tell them ambulance on the way but send a buggy pronto to save time ..... Oh and clean shreddies helps Smile
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:04 pm

Wow, that sounds seriously scarey Doc. So glad that you were in the "right" place on the course when it happened. Sounds as though you received excellent care to get you sorted out quickly, and I hope that you will soon work your way back to full health.

Good for you on deciding to put yourself first in the future - and even better that you've ditched the cancer sticks!

Take it steady.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Bloody Hell Doc that is scary. Had you been feeling unwell or had any pain or warning signs in the days and weeks leading up to last Saturday or did it come completely out of the blue?

It goes without saying I wish you a full and speedy recovery and hope you are back on the golf course before too long. Well done on giving up the cigs as well Out Of Action 1927768590
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Scary story Doc - as you say, it can happen to anyone at any time. Glad they got you fixed up so quickly and there's been no serious damage done. Look after yourself and don't rush things.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshanking Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:34 am

Get well soon Doc.... what is it they say; "A heart attack is nature's way of telling you to slow down." Work pressures are certainly a major contributory factor I believe...
Noshanking
Noshanking

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Going in the captains bunker usually entails a donation to his charity. Did you pay your fine?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Good point LJ, should be at least a double fine for going in the sand on your knees... Innocent
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 am

And with a cigar in your mouth!!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri May 03, 2013 8:08 am

Er Doc - you haven't posted for a while - are you OK?
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Fri May 03, 2013 6:20 pm

That is a scary one, Doc! Glad you are on the mend.
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat May 04, 2013 5:00 am

Holy shit Doc.
Get well soon.

Never mind the fine LJ, hope he raked the bunker Out Of Action 3461234324

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue May 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Went over and hit 50-balls on the range yesterday. First time in 5-weeks, so feeling a bit sore today, but was pleasantly pleased with 50% of my hits. Going over again later and hope to do better.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Tue May 21, 2013 8:47 pm

Doc, that's good to hear. Good luck with your recovery.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Don't overdo it, Doc. Good to hear you are on the mend. Flower
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Just got back home and pissed off. Started hitting everything fantastic, so that's 100% good hitting ..... BUT only half the balls used...... shanks, fats, tops came from somewhere, oh well back to the drawing board tomoz where we'll have another go.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed May 22, 2013 4:15 am

Easy Tiger! Don't try it all at once.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Wed May 22, 2013 5:06 am

Good to hear that you're getting back in the swing of things Doc. Take it easy though!
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed May 22, 2013 5:22 am

Dinnae listen to them!

Don't be afraid of it. Learn the lesson and get back out there. Just don't do it to the point where you get totally exhausted. So buggies... plenty of water... and the occassional top up on the old electric shock jobbie.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 am

Managed 9-holes Saturday and another bad day was had with crap swinging/hitting. Went and did another 9-holes Monday and was brilliant!!! I walked off pleased as hell with my striking and will be doing another 9 this week if weather permits. Hoping to go for 18-holes within a fortnight.

After a nice strike there's nothing like lighting a cig up and admiring the results .... so nothing worse than not lighting one up, but needs must. Smile
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu May 30, 2013 5:42 am

I'm out of action for a while myself. I hurt my thumb.

Now where's my sympathy?!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu May 30, 2013 6:01 am

Nice one Doc - keep it up but don't push it!

Know what you mean about the cig thing - have you asked your doctor about these e-cigarettes? Maybe you could get away with those? I've been trying them and they've cut my (normal) cigarette intake by about 70% and much cheaper too!

Only nicotine in them and none of the other shit
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu May 30, 2013 6:16 am

Rolling Eyes Cheers Davie, but was prescribed patches originally. Decided to go cold turkey 3-weeks ago and doing well thanks. I thought the tax payer shouldn't have to pay for my habit, so binned it. Into my 7th week over all so getting there.

There are a few things I never thought the NHS should pay for and smoking was one of them. IVF is another which always gets an argument going. The NHS were brill for me and saved my life, but can't say I want them to pay for botox or because I'm overweight etc.

Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu May 30, 2013 7:12 am

LondonJonnyO wrote:I'm out of action for a while myself. I hurt my thumb.

Now where's my sympathy?!

Been sucking it too much have you LJ?

Nearly gave you a call today as my normal golf was called off this week. But I looked at the weather and chickened out. Blimmin' fair weather golfers eh!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu May 30, 2013 7:37 am

The slug dropped his laptop on it. I think he did it on purpose the little git!

And I'm not getting out much in the week right now. Got so much going on at the office that there are not enough hours in the day. Still working now. (although typing is tough without my favourite thumb!)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu May 30, 2013 8:09 am

That's the problem with work, it has a tendency to get in the way.

It would be nice to have a clip around your gaff again, especially being as how I'm putting better at the moment - I know I know there was plenty of room for improvement!

Oh and I can type with all of my fingers and thumbs - as long as I only use two at a time. Strange, any more and I seem to lose my ability to spell, watch.....jni vdlkl fdhi238q3nl jwoldeiqj qopqjhd3iql....see!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu May 30, 2013 8:30 am

well you say you are putting ok... but we bought an iron. They are stupid fast when they get them going at the moment! I just know you'll love em!

Twisted Evil

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu May 30, 2013 8:35 am

hang on - where did I say I was putting OK. I said I was putting better!

Mind you, I do prefer the greens quick nowadays, just don't get that at my club.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu May 30, 2013 9:08 am

oldshanker wrote:hang on - where did I say I was putting OK. I said I was putting better!

Mind you, I do prefer the greens quick nowadays, just don't get that at my club.

Fair point. And with that in mind I consider myself a reasonable putter usually. And I 4 putted from 30 feet a few weeks back. Everytime it just slipped by gently... and next thing I had a 6 footer back!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down