Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on the weekend's action in Dubai?

+5
Mary_S
Mercurio
JDandfries
drive4show
LadyPutt
9 posters

Go down

Thoughts on the weekend's action in Dubai? Empty Thoughts on the weekend's action in Dubai?

Post by LadyPutt Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:43 am

Just to get this back on the "golf" track, I thought yesterday's play in Dubai was thrilling and produced just the right result (pity Rory was feeling off colour and wasn't able to pose a threat). Luke was rightly crowned King of Europe, the USA and the World while Alvaro Quiros has to have the most infectious smile on the planet ilu and a great game (if occasionally wayward - but that's what's fun about watching him) and it was fantastic to see him hole out that monster putt at the last. Well done to all on the ET and here's to a great 2012.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the weekend's action in Dubai? Empty Re: Thoughts on the weekend's action in Dubai?

Post by drive4show Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:49 am

I missed all the action yesterday as I was out on the course. Amazing how things can turn around so quickly. Half way through the 2nd round, Rory was leading and Luke was 10th, if the tournament had finished at that point then Rory would have won the R2D.

As it was, comfortable for Luke in the end. I think the way he kicked on over the weekend proves that he is a worthy #1, major or no major.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on the weekend's action in Dubai? Empty Re: Thoughts on the weekend's action in Dubai?

Post by JDandfries Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 am

Personally i was glad to see some good stuff from lawrie (the often derided Open Champion) and Sergio looking a bit like his old self, at least he smiled a bit!
JDandfries
JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:04 am

I thought it was a great competition and a suitable climax to the Tour year.

I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with 'Roey', mind.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 am

Really enjoyed it - a great way to round off the golfing year. Was really pleased for Luke to achieve both titles, and what a finish by Quiros!

Loved the commentary from Howeller, hope that Sky use him more next year if the opportunity arises.

Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:32 am

LadyPutt wrote: Alvaro Quiros has to have the most infectious smile on the planet ilu

You may like this snippet, LP - at our Golf Club's Awards dinner the other weekend, I was sat next to John McLaren's (Luke Donald's caddy) former girlfriend. She's a lovely woman. Very tall - not a stick insect but not out of proportion either. We got talking about the big hitting women in the club which led to her declaring that she fancies big-hitting Alvaro and that John had mentioned to her that Alvaro likes the bigger women.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:41 am

So did Luke get the player of the year over on the yank side of the pond?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Puligny Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:25 am

POTY not decided yet but has to be Luke. If not will be Putin!
Look out for Aussie Masters this week - believe Luke is down there taking Tigers customary appearance fee as a season ending event. Aussie and SA events should get more support, great this year to see strong field for Aussie Open as result of Presidents Cup

Puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:39 am

I thought Donald was fantastic all year long, and more than deserved all his accolades. I wondered whether someone achieving something in the game that he hasn't might persuade a certain former No.1 to join the European Tour?

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:45 pm

I spent Friday at Jumeirah Golf Estates watching the 2nd round of the DWC. I initially followed Kaymer and Els, then picked up Rory and Sergio.

It's an absolutely wonderful tournament and a fitting place to hold the season climax. Personally of course i'm thrilled that the ET decided to extend the contract for another 3 years, but i must say that for all that Dubai has doen wrong in recent years, they are great supporters of golf and it is right that they have had their efforts rewarded.

Earth course is in simply stunning condition. I was lucky enough to be a member here when it first opened, and it's a real honour to play a course this well maintained. If it looked good on the TV, i can assure you that it was better on the ground. If i could work out how to upload pictures, i'd show you the views of the 12th and 18th at ground level. In the UAE, most courses are kept year-round in championship condition - and Earth is probably the best of the lot. Even the tee-boxes are like billiards tables.

I was really pleased to see Quiros win. He's a very likable character and he plays golf the fun way. Watching him hit his 2nd into the last hole was simply staggering. I have played that shot many times (the mens tee box is a lot further forward than the pro's!) and i know what an intimidating sight that fairway and green make. To have the balls to play that agressive a shot, knowing that any miss could spell completel disaster, was hugely impressive. And the eagle putt just rounded off a great year of ET golf.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum