Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lyle and Alliss inducted into golfing hall of fame

+4
LondonJonnyO
Maverick
oldparwin
Davie
8 posters

Go down

Lyle and Alliss inducted into golfing hall of fame Empty Lyle and Alliss inducted into golfing hall of fame

Post by Davie Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:44 am

So Sandy Lyle and Peter Alliss are announced as inductees into the golfing hall of fame

Lyle I suppose I can understand though he was never one of my favourite golfers (a kind of precursor to Monty in my books - too miserable to take a shining to) - but Alliss? Not my idea of a hall of famer

It's been quite comical on twitter today seeing all the congratulatory messages to @tweeteralliss (for those not in the know with twitter matters, tweeteralliss is a very funny pastiche of Peter Alliss. Clearly there are many who don't realize he isn't the real Mr Alliss

Splendid
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Lyle and Alliss inducted into golfing hall of fame Empty Re: Lyle and Alliss inducted into golfing hall of fame

Post by oldparwin Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:50 am

Its nice to see non-Americans, being rewarded, and I do like both of them, so I am bias. ilu
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Lyle and Alliss inducted into golfing hall of fame Empty Re: Lyle and Alliss inducted into golfing hall of fame

Post by Maverick Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:04 am

Really not a fan of Sandy and his bitterness. Alright he won 2 majors but what else has he done that warrants this!

Peter Allis, like the guy but a hall of famer he is not
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:15 am

Peter alliss. Now the man who got into the hall of fame for talking bollocks
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:11 am

I'd rather listen to Alliss than those tw@ts on Sky.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:02 am

Cut and pasted from wikipedia because I'm a lazy sod....

Lyle showed his quality by winning The Open Championship at Royal St George's Golf Club in 1985. He was the first British winner since Tony Jacklin in 1969, and continued the rise of European golfers in the world scene.
Lyle was a member of five European Ryder Cup teams, from 1979 to 1987 inclusive. Highlights from those years included the team that was victorious at the Belfry in the autumn of 1985, and the 1987 team which won for the first time ever on American soil, at Muirfield Village.
For many golf fans he is best known for the bunker shot at the 18th hole in the final round of the Masters in 1988 when he became the first Briton to wear the green jacket.[3] He also won two other events on the PGA Tour that season, along with the World Match Play Championship, after being a losing finalist on several occasions.
Lyle topped the European Tour's order of merit in 1979, 1980 and 1985. He finished in the top ten nine times between 1979 and 1992. He was also a member of the PGA Tour for several years and finished seventh on the US money list in 1988, despite a limited playing schedule. He won the 1987 Tournament Players Championship, one of the most prestigious American titles.

I think there's more than enough there to justify inclusion.
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:10 am

Allis isn't everyone's cup of tea, but to be fair to him, he was the only face of golf (TV) we had, and he's had a very long career on the beeb. I always found his commentery to have humour as well as knowledge, but yes too sugary at times. He was no mean player himself and was our RC captain. Has done a hell of a lot for charity, and had a decent course design business. He's had a life time in golf and think he made golf become an aspiration to many, who thought golf was elitist.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:11 am

oldparwin wrote:Its nice to see non-Americans, being rewarded, and I do like both of them, so I am bias. ilu

Haven't checked recently OP but I think you'll find there are two HOFs ... one for the yanks and the other for the A.N. Others. Rolling Eyes

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down