Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Trolley Wheels

+4
Mercurio
MustPuttBetter
Davie
LondonJonnyO
8 posters

Go down

Winter Trolley Wheels Empty Winter Trolley Wheels

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:03 am

In the winter many places state that only those fitted with hedgehog wheels are to be used on the course.

What are peoples experiences of these? A clever marketing ploy? Or an effective way of reducing course damage in very wet conditions?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Winter Trolley Wheels Empty Re: Winter Trolley Wheels

Post by Davie Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:06 am

Seems to work at my place. The hedgehos wheels leave a bit of a dimpled track on the very soft ground but obviously it does no long term harm
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:11 am

I assume the idea is they don't skid and therefore don't leave skid marks? I never use a trolley so have no experience but we do currently have a 30 foot skid mark down our 5th where someone tried to drive a buggy up the hill Rolling Eyes

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:14 am

The grip I can see but the argument is that they damage the course less... not sure I can see that (unless taking into acocunt MPBs muppet who drives up 1:1 cliff faces in a buggy)
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:21 am

I've got to be honest, unless you skid your trolley (??!) i'm not sure how the hedgehogs can do less damage. They still have wheels and they're still applying the same weight onto the deck aren't they?

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:26 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:I assume the idea is they don't skid and therefore don't leave skid marks?
Mrs LondonJonnyO wrote:Maybe I should get some for LJ to wear in his underpants.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:29 am

I have hedghog wheels fitted at this time of year, but they're not dimpled, they are more like big spikes. They only leave little holes on the course and can't slide, but the downside is that they use more power so I'm usually pushing the barsteward down the last
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:33 am

Mercurio wrote:
MustPuttBetter wrote:I assume the idea is they don't skid and therefore don't leave skid marks?
Mrs LondonJonnyO wrote:Maybe I should get some for LJ to wear in his underpants.

Skid marks keep you warm on a cold winters day. But you have to remember to add to it progressively during the round or it cools down and adds an internal source of chilliness.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:59 am

It's not just for wet conditions that hedgehogs are used. They are also supposed to help reduced frost-damage to the fairways.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:50 pm

As far as I'm concerned, no-one should be out on the course when there is frost on the ground as even footmarks "burn" the grass (speaking as the wife of a retired greenkeeper) which takes a long time to recover in the winter.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:06 pm

LadyPutt wrote:As far as I'm concerned, no-one should be out on the course when there is frost on the ground as even footmarks "burn" the grass (speaking as the wife of a retired greenkeeper) which takes a long time to recover in the winter.

Money talks these days LP - on frosty days it'll be temp tees and temp greens, but the show still goes on at my course, unless the ground is solid.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Interested to see how this develops as they are not compulsory at my place and in general not at any course in our area yet I'm seeing a lot of roped off areas appear and more gur do to over use of certain parts of the course that people insist on taking their trolley through
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:33 pm

At our place the winter wheels rule kicked in from November 1st. This caught loads of people out as they either had to carry or hire a trolley with hedgehogs. Theres a white line near every green where trolleys of any description are not allowed to enter, and it seems to be moving further back than it needs to be, so slowing play up as players jog backwards and forwards with wedges and putter etc.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm back to carrying for winter because there is no way I'm paying £55 for 3 strips of plastic to put around the Clic-Gear's wheels.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Mercurio wrote:I'm back to carrying for winter because there is no way I'm paying £55 for 3 strips of plastic to put around the Clic-Gear's wheels.

Merc are you not able to swap wheels over, or are the whhels so different from other buggies that you need to use the clip on shyte that comes off unless you staple them to the wheels
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:16 am

Doc wrote:
Mercurio wrote:I'm back to carrying for winter because there is no way I'm paying £55 for 3 strips of plastic to put around the Clic-Gear's wheels.

Merc are you not able to swap wheels over, or are the whhels so different from other buggies that you need to use the clip on shyte that comes off unless you staple them to the wheels

I don't think you can get full wheels - I've only seen the strips.

The size of the Clic-Gear wheels look different to other trolleys which is probably why I can only find the strips.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:36 am

http://www.hedgehoggolf.com/information-faqs/4541635517

Merc they're actually in test with wheels for your trolley. To be fair they fit almost any trolley out there, and my brand isn't mentioned but they fit no problem. Just click and take the wheel off and replace with the hedghog, in seconds. Laughing
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:55 am

I'll keep an eye out - cheers, Doc!
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content