Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

winter golf

+4
gaelgowfer
BlueCoverman
Doc
LondonJonnyO
8 posters

Go down

winter golf Empty winter golf

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:56 am

I know that you 'real men' out there will talk about braving all weathers and conditions in the pursuit of the game... but I am wondering if anyone feels they actually benefit in any way from playing in the conditions we face from around Nov through Mar in this country.

We get wet soggy lies, high winds, greens that are more akin to pebble dashed houses in romford than billiard tables and the fact that we are in more layers than an onion (although not everyone like onions... Parfait. Parfait have layers and everyone love Parfait... but these greens are not Parfait. They are like onions!).

I personally have not actually played since early december (I think) but I used to play all through the poor conditions in the past and it took me ages to get used to regular playing conditions through spring. So you diehards... what do you get from it and do you think it's worth it making changes to cope with the differences we as british (and I hate using that label!) face during the darker months?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

winter golf Empty Re: winter golf

Post by Doc Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:08 pm

LJ I usually play all the way through unless the course is completley soggy/muddy/quagmire, where it becomes a joke. This winter I'm taking a course of lessons and changing my swing, grip and set-up, so spending a lot of time at the course just now. I have a lesson this lunchtime as yesterdays was rained off.

A few good things can come out of winter golf, especially for higher handicappers:
1) In soggy conditions the ball gets no run, so a player can easily measure how far he hits each club through the air. Yes when cold the ball loses a few yards, but a player will get a very good idea of his average distances through the air.
2) For players just getting into golf, they see a massive improvement as the weather improves, which makes them feel more confident. Mrs Doc's not been playing that long and hates the winter conditions. She does however love the fact that by the time the season gets underway, she's on target for getting cut again.
3) The course can be less crowded in winter, giving players more chance to practice out of cabbage, wet bunkers, soft conditions, hitting into wind etc.

I don't think I could take a winter break, as it can't be that easy just picking up the bats, and getting up to speed again.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Probably not a lot of benefit from a golfing perspective, apart from maybe keeping your swing going a bit. I sit behind a desk all week, so I still like to play in the winter for the bracing walk and a little bit of exercise if nothing else!

If you are a golf club member it makes your golf a bit more expensive if your clubs don't move out of the garage for over a third of the year. I know a few people who have let their subscription cancel for the winter and then found it hard to get back to regular playing in the better weather, because their free time has now been taken up doing other things.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Not sure if it really makes any difference to the golf swing as to whether or not you lay off for the winter although I suppose one could argue that playing on could help with the muscle memory thing.

It's always cold on that first tee but once you get moving and warmed up a bit, I've never regretted not having made the effort even if I have ended up soaked!

I certainly think that winter golf should never be taken seriously. Cold hands and extra layers of clothing are not exactly conducive to making a good golf swing.

The one thing that does sadden me is just how little of the course we get to play in the winter now compared to when I first joined Nairn more than 25 years ago and whilst the club will blame it on 'the weather', I remain to be convinced this isn't down to over-conditioning brought about by an increase in hosting big events and the club channelling all its efforts into producing the 'perfect' course for one week in the year.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:10 pm

I've started to feel winter golf (in particular, qualifying competitions) may not be for me and that my time would be far better spent on the driving range, especially if all I'm doing is collecting 0.1s.

The problem is that with CONGU's recent changes, it's harder to get the handicap down outside of qualifying competitions.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 pm

My club doesn't have qualifiers through the winter (though strangely enough, the ladies do)

I'm a bit like BCM really - just enjoy getting out in the fresh air and a bit of exercise - and to enjoy the golf without too many expectations of form
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:56 pm

I play all year round, as it is habit forming, going to the golf club Saturday and Sunday plus I need the exercise of a good walk, as being sat on my bum all week. There is 12 of us hard core golfer who will play every weekend and, the bragging rights in the bar after the round is precious, no matter what the weather is like.
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:12 am

I play most of my golf between the clocks after work, with the occasional club comp at the weekends and a variety of away days.

During the winter, a groups of us now play virtual golf as its a lot more fun than hitting balls out into the fog!

Hate feeling restricted when playing golf, Doc will tell you my swing is not the fullest out there and extra layers just make it shorter, so I will not even wear a waterproof top. Rain Cloud
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down