Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driver club head in relation to ball at address

+2
oldshanker
Mercurio
6 posters

Go down

Driver club head in relation to ball at address Empty Driver club head in relation to ball at address

Post by Mercurio Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:47 pm

I've been to the range 3 times this week, and I've started to have the club head half an inch/inch closer to my body at address. This, combined with not hinging my wrists as early, has resulted in some excellent consistent driving with a lower exploding bullet-like trajectory and a slight draw. I'm not sure how the club head gets back to where you would normally expect it to be at impact but it is and it's working.

My driving swing now feels like it's on the edge of stretching for the ball and feels a lot simpler. My lower body is now turning (which had always been a weakness) and my finishing position is spot-on. It hits home how 'wingy' my driving swing had become.

In 2009, when I started playing golf properly, I used to hit the ball long but not often enough straight. I think over the last few years, from playing a tight course, the length has been been beaten out of me/my swing. With this new driving swing, I feel I can get the old length back and maintain accuracy. As I now have three years of short-game improvement behind me these are exciting times, especially for March!

Does this make sense? How do you address your driver club head?
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Driver club head in relation to ball at address Empty Re: Driver club head in relation to ball at address

Post by oldshanker Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:32 am

Hello driver head and how are you today? Wink

Well if I hadn't done it, someone else would.

I address with the toe lining up with the ball, then slide the head forward and hover it. Long low takeaway with a late wrist cock is best for me as well.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Driver club head in relation to ball at address Empty Re: Driver club head in relation to ball at address

Post by diggers Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:48 am

I hope the transition from the range to the course goes well Merc, that's always been my biggest issue. Hit it sweet as a nut 20 times in a row, think I've got it sussed and then walk on the first tee and it all goes Pete Tong. It's heart breaking. Crying or Very sad

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:13 am

oldshanker - the late wrist-cock is good to hear.

diggers - I've learnt that it takes a lot effort to improve/gain consistency. You can't beat yourself up when you play as little as you do.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 am

I'm all for whatever works for the individual swinging the club.

Hope it goes well when you hit the course with it Merc.

OS: you could almost be describing Greg Normans swing and the tips he gives for driving, hover at address, low slow takeaway, late wrist hinge etc and Norman imo one of the greatest drivers of the ball to grace the game.

Diggers, I think even Seve could hit the driver straight on the range, what would we give for his recovery ability though to make up for our own faults. I think the thing is on the range with the driver were a lot looser and because its a big open field feel like we can't miss and this relaxes the mind and means most drives are straight and true. Hit the course and the narrow fairway suddenly tightens the muscles for no reason.

Myself something I'd been working on is a Justin Rose tip also one advicated by Norman I believe and that's placing a second ball about 7-9inchers behind the tee'd up ball at address and focusing on sweeping that ball away with the clubhead, which gives the low takeaway OS mentions. Also I try to work on having soft hands and as light a grip pressure as I can get away with at address
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:21 am

Maverick wrote:OS: you could almost be describing Greg Normans swing and the tips he gives for driving, hover at address, low slow takeaway, late wrist hinge etc and Norman imo one of the greatest drivers of the ball to grace the game.

Myself something I'd been working on is a Justin Rose tip also one advicated by Norman I believe and that's placing a second ball about 7-9inchers behind the tee'd up ball at address and focusing on sweeping that ball away with the clubhead, which gives the low takeaway OS mentions. Also I try to work on having soft hands and as light a grip pressure as I can get away with at address

Razz I even get the foot slide like him sometime Mav.......if only.

That Justin Rose tip is one that my Dad an ex pro used all the time and I have also imparted on the original BBC board, although I would think 7-9 inches is a bit close. I would go for 24 inches myself. It's a great way to start the backswing.

What's that Dad?? Swing the clubhead away, don't lift it up! I know Dad I know. A voice from the other side there.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:28 am

OS, if I remember rightly Norman advocated the ball be 12inches away, but with the Rose one which I prefer the idea is to sweep the ball away as far as you can, so it starts about 7inches away but by the time the clubhead loses contact with the ball its nearer 18inches, it helps to promote the feel of it nicely I find.

The good old Norman foot slide I love that move always trying to copy that as a kid and Norman will always remain my all time favourite not because of what he did or didn't win but because the way he played the game

Interesting though that despite how the game chamges and evolves the old swing tips still remain the best
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:34 am

Ah I see now - whereas with the JR system you are actually trying to move the back ball, with mine, you don't actually touch it, you just try to brush it on the way past.

Either way, at 18-24 inches away from the object ball, your clubhead is still only an inch or so off the ground, promoting a late wrist cock at about 9 o' clock. You do have to watch out that your weight transference does not turn into a sway however.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:46 am

Got it in one there OS, and totally agree on the sway affect but the good thing is once you master the drill and get the late hinge of the wrists it makes it so easy to unwind the swing and produce the late hit to maximis distance and accuracy. Also helps narrow down what the bad shot is if it creeps in, mine is always the block right from those odd times where I haven't cleared through the ball properly meaning the late hit doesn't occur and send the ball to the right.

Good thing being though its easily rectifiable by the time you get to the next shot.

Back to the OP. Ball position just inside left heel, with left foot splayed out toward the target at about a 45degree angle, again a Norman tip which helps with clearane and prevents the sway yet also allows you to build torque ready to unload. I also have my weight favouring right side slightly at address only with everything leaning slightly to the right with the driver to promote the upward sweeping motion helps the ball fly more I find, also a hoverer of the club at address.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:24 am

ever notice how early Paul Casey hinges the wrist. its completely different to the Norman/Rose method

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:32 am

Hend I guess that's the beauty of the game, as long as it works there's no right or wrong way. Look at Garrigus and how he sets it and he bombs it
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:39 am

Mav or anyone else:

As some will know I'm in the middle of a swing change, and loving it so far. Driving can still cause me problems though, so need help. I'm due back with my club fitter in a fortnight, but need something now.

When my driver and 3-wood were built, they were made with a draw, so at address the face is slightly closed. I hit the ball much straighter with the new swing, so can hit the ball straight left with the driver. I can roll the grip to make the face more neutral but this obviously adds loft. So the question is: Do these woods need the draw taking off, or do I persevere. At address how should the club face look? as mine seems 'hooded'
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:52 am

Doc:

Firstly I'll not offer advice on how to hit them straight rather than straight left as any swing tips from anyone here could be counter productive to the work you've done thus far and your overall goals.

but regards to the club, i'd say when looking down on your driver it should look square if anythingother than that maybe a degree or 2 slightly open at worst never been a fan of offset clubs that look closed to prevent a slice! your swing will prevent the slice for and now your new technique is bedding in sounds as though you properly square your hands which with the offset sends the ball straight left!

so my advice dont tweak the swing stick with it but have your dude reset the clubs to a nuetral/square address postion look forward to the latest update on the swing changes have enjoyed hearing your progress

Last edited by Maverick on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bloody gayberry keyboard)
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks Mav thats what I thought. So will just need to get through the next couple of weeks with a head set up thats wrong. I suppose I could tee it slightly lower and take the draw off by rolling the club around to make it more neutral. This adds loft obviously, so a lower tee may help to keep it down. but lose distance for now?
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:16 am

You could do that but it could be inconsistent as you are now in the habit of correctly squaring the face you could end up with a double cross. Maybe worth hitting the range and working on alignment perhaps setting up aiming down the rightside and allowing the offset face to draw the ball back to centre. Obviously you will have to trust yourself that the clubs doing this hence why try it on the range first.

But don't do anything that will negate the work you've been putting in so far
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down