Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woods- final rnd 62. Is he finally back or another false dawn?

+14
oldparwin
ChrisGG
Mary_S
super_realist
Bob_the_job
Davie
faldono1fan
diggers
Redrage
raycastleunited
Mercurio
smithersjones
drive4show
Matelot golfer
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Woods- final rnd 62. Is he finally back or another false dawn? Empty Woods- final rnd 62. Is he finally back or another false dawn?

Post by Matelot golfer Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 am

Thoughts people?
His putting was awesome this evening and seems to be playing the 'stinger' 2 iron with amazing consistency and long.

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Woods- final rnd 62. Is he finally back or another false dawn? Empty Re: Woods- final rnd 62. Is he finally back or another false dawn?

Post by drive4show Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:23 am

I read a stat this week about Tiger, his scoring average for the first 3 rounds in 2011 was something like 68 but his final round average was something like 75.

He's certainly blown that stat apart tonight! Not sure if he is 'back' but clearly there are signs of improvement.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Woods- final rnd 62. Is he finally back or another false dawn? Empty Re: Woods- final rnd 62. Is he finally back or another false dawn?

Post by smithersjones Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:26 am

It was pretty impressive, wasn't it? The conditions and course setup seem to have put a premium on ball striking today, allowing Lee to post a 63 and Tiger one better. Rory seems to be holding on well, playing safe on 15 & 17 and getting up and down from sand on both. I think it's safe to say Woods will be favourite for the Masters now!

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:28 am

It's going to create a great buzz around the game with the Masters less than a month away. Oh and Rory's on the last hole, 2 shot lead to win tournament and go to World No 1. It's going to be a good ride ahead folks!

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Matelot golfer Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 am

Yeh, good point about Lees round also Smithers. All top players starting to blow hot! Happy Days!

Matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:41 am

I saw him texting Michael Jordan just before he played that second shot to 18 Innocent
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:47 am

Calm and composed from the new world number one.

Tiger still feeling his way back. Eagle on 18 showed that he is regaining that ability to make it happen when he has to. Rory, Lee and Tiger all looking good for Augusta
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:54 am

Real air of maturity from Rory tonight. A few poor shots but recovered with a brilliant sort game display. The interviewer just hit the nail on the head when he said today wasn't about going low it was about not going high.

Well done young Rory.....take a bow son cheers

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Rory and Phil are in fine form and Tiger finally seems to be finding some, this years Masters is shaping up to be a classic.
Redrage
Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Very good signs, he looked really relaxed swinging yesterday. Him and Rory could be a classic rivalry for a few years.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:22 pm

It's amazing to think that when Rory is Tiger's current age, Tiger will be 50.
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Mercurio wrote:It's amazing to think that when Rory is Tiger's current age, Tiger will be 50.

Good observation!

Makes me feel old Crying or Very sad
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:52 pm

In reality over 40 is a bit of a tipping point for golfers staying at the top. They might still have the odd win but bar VJ I can't think of one who has been near the very top of the rankings really.
So for different reasons Woods and Westwood better get the majors they want soon IMO.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:45 pm

No doubt it was a great round, but that's all it is. He played mediocre for the first 34 holes of the tournament and was in danger of missing the cut. His putting is way too inconsistent at the moment, but he will take encouragement from his driving this week. He will never return to being the dominant player he was in my opinion, but having said that he could be good for another major or two. Too many other great players now.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:54 pm

I don't buy the too many other great players part personally. To me you have one potential great in Rory, maybe Kaymer as a multiple major winner, after that I'm not sure. Lots of good players, very good but Woods has seen off the likes of Mickleson, Els Goosen and Singh in the past. To me better players at their peaks than are around today bar maybe Rory but he is still at the start of his career and could well still be a Miller rather than a Woods for all we know.
I do agree with you that winning majors won't be easy for Woods but it's because of the decline in his game not because of the presence of great players.
I will get hammered for this but I think Donald and Westwood at 2 and 3 shows this isn't a massively strong time for great players though I hope they both win majors and go on to become greats.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:59 pm

All this talk of Woods and McIlroy (and some mentions for Westy) but no one seems to be mentioning Luke right now. So he hasn't really impressed at the start of the season (neither did he last year apart from the matchplay) but suddenly he seems to be being almost written off

What short memories we all have
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:04 pm

I think it's a majors thing Davie, if Luke had one in the bag like Rory he'd be getting more of a mention.
Also Luke may be a fantastic player but Woods was a phenomenon and Rory could be one, with the best will in the works Donald will never be that or create the same level of excitement. He is the golfing equivalent of the girl next door.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:06 pm

My view on Wood's round is that I think he was too far back at the start to really figure in most people's thinking for winning, so he got a bit of a free go at it. But to be fair, he made the most of it and the eagle on 18 was very impressive - although it had a bit of a "guts or glory" feel to it as he'd nothing to lose.

Somewhat the same for Lee's 63 - no real pressure and nothing to lose so give it a lash.

Rory was very impressive because he was under such pressure and scrutiny. Unlike the US Open, his lead was narrow, conditions were a little trickier and the course had a real sting in the tail.
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Davie wrote:All this talk of Woods and McIlroy (and some mentions for Westy) but no one seems to be mentioning Luke right now. So he hasn't really impressed at the start of the season (neither did he last year apart from the matchplay) but suddenly he seems to be being almost written off

What short memories we all have

Probably more due to him not playing - the thread started off and still retains a feel of it being about the players at the Honda
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Hopefully just another of his many false dawns. Interesting to see that he could do it when the pressure was absent. He had no chance of winning the competition really, so he had nothing to lose.

Still impressive though, I wonder if he allowed himself a smile?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:20 pm

He did have a chance if he holed the eagle putt which he did. Rory was just two ahead with water holes to come so far stranger things have happened. Agree with the fact that for the rest if the round pressure was off though.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_job Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:34 pm

diggers wrote:He did have a chance if he holed the eagle putt which he did. Rory was just two ahead with water holes to come so far stranger things have happened. Agree with the fact that for the rest if the round pressure was off though.

Without being too pedantic, that's not what I meant (and I think the same goes for S_R). Nobody is saying, or ever would have said, "Woods blew it by not coming back from a big deficit" so in that sense, there was never going to be any pressure of expectation on him...so it's hard to tell is the comeback or a false dawn. It will be interesting to see how he holds up when he's in the lead with a full field.
Bob_the_job
Bob_the_job

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 pm

I hope that Tiger is back. He will never dominate the game totally again, because the other players are no longer intimidated by him, but I think it would be fascinating to see him in the mix with the likes of Rory, Westwood, Donald etc.

Also hoping that this will be a good year for Justin Rose.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Bob, I get what you are saying, but I think what Diggers was saying and what I was certainly hoping was that due to the circumstances of being pretty much out of contention, would he have scored 62 if he'd been in a more promissing position to start with, vis a vis, is his mental state up to contending for tournaments from near the front. Hopefully not, incidentally is the guy who stabbed that tennis player out yet? New target aquired.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Perhaps what I should have said is that there too many great players around that are not scared of Tiger. Mickelson doesn't look like he is any longer judging by the pounding he gave Tiger at Pebble Beach recently. The bar has been raised in my opinion so that even if Tiger does play his absolute best it may not be good enough. Sorry but his dominance is over and it's because he is no longer consistently producing great golf, others have caught up and he hasn't got that aura any more. Having said that he is a great player still and there is every chance he will compete in and win a couple more majors.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:01 am

Awesome to see Tiger playing well again. Cannot wait for the Masters! Should be great!
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 am

He only played well for one round. Hopefully just another false dawn.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:17 am

You Tiger haters could be in for a very bad year!!!!
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 am

Yeah we are, because he's won so many tournaments so far hasn't he? I would say the Kyle Stanley / Brandon Grace / Keegan Bradley haters are in for a bad year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 am

It's strange, but I find myself rooting for Tiger these days purely for the anguish it brings to these frustrated Tiger haters.

As Kevin Keegan would say, I'd love it if he won the masters, just love it!
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:39 am

raycastleunited wrote:It's strange, but I find myself rooting for Tiger these days purely for the anguish it brings to these frustrated Tiger haters.

Woods- final rnd 62. Is he finally back or another false dawn? 1927768590
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:41 am

faldono1fan wrote:Perhaps what I should have said is that there too many great players around that are not scared of Tiger. Mickelson doesn't look like he is any longer judging by the pounding he gave Tiger at Pebble Beach recently. The bar has been raised in my opinion so that even if Tiger does play his absolute best it may not be good enough. Sorry but his dominance is over and it's because he is no longer consistently producing great golf, others have caught up and he hasn't got that aura any more. Having said that he is a great player still and there is every chance he will compete in and win a couple more majors.

Mickleson had had other life experiences that should put the Tiger thing into perspective. That said he seems to start seasons well and then tail off as they go on.
I'm not sure about the rest, if Tiger wins a major by 4 I'd imagine the fear factor will come flooding back, but of course it's a big if.
Anyway shaping up to be a good year .

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:43 am

diggers wrote:
faldono1fan wrote:Perhaps what I should have said is that there too many great players around that are not scared of Tiger. Mickelson doesn't look like he is any longer judging by the pounding he gave Tiger at Pebble Beach recently. The bar has been raised in my opinion so that even if Tiger does play his absolute best it may not be good enough. Sorry but his dominance is over and it's because he is no longer consistently producing great golf, others have caught up and he hasn't got that aura any more. Having said that he is a great player still and there is every chance he will compete in and win a couple more majors.

Mickleson had had other life experiences that should put the Tiger thing into perspective. That said he seems to start seasons well now and then tail off as they go on. Hell be up there for the Masters though.
I'm not sure about the rest, if Tiger wins a major by 4 shots I'd imagine the fear factor will come flooding back, but of course it's a big if.
Anyway shaping up to be a good year .

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:45 am

Agreed Diggers.Should be an interesting year.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisGG Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:52 am

raycastleunited wrote:It's strange, but I find myself rooting for Tiger these days purely for the anguish it brings to these frustrated Tiger haters.

This Woods- final rnd 62. Is he finally back or another false dawn? 1927768590
ChrisGG
ChrisGG

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:59 am

Yet to hear what exactly people find appealing about the guy. Apart from all his character problems I just don't like the gung ho way he plays the game.

Would anyone care to expand while they feel he is worth "supporting"?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:39 am

super_realist wrote:Yet to hear what exactly people find appealing about the guy. Apart from all his character problems I just don't like the gung ho way he plays the game.

I would hazard a guess Super that the "gung ho way he plays the game" is EXACTLY what some find appealing to watch. Like I've said before I'm neutral on his personality, couldn't care less really. I detest the way the media fawn over him and obsess about him but I can't help being drawn to watch him when he's in contention.
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:34 am

I find the media obsession with him immensely annoying but (cliché alert) at the end of the day few players are capable of putting together a round like that to haul themselves into contention. Compare and contrast the way he and Westwood played 18.

In days gone by that would have shaken many a leader into dropping a couple of shots and either letting Tiger win or forcing a playoff. Rory's made of sterner stuff, thankfully, but there will be other, probably American, players who he still scares into submission.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 pm

smithersjones wrote:

In days gone by that would have shaken many a leader into dropping a couple of shots and either letting Tiger win or forcing a playoff. Rory's made of sterner stuff, thankfully, but there will be other, probably American, players who he still scares into submission.

Rory's two sand saves on the par 3's, especially on 17, showed he could handle the pressure. I guess it helps when you know that 18 is an easy par. Pure speculation, but I reckon a year ago he might have racked up a couple of bogeys on the back 9 and struggled to make a play off.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:Yet to hear what exactly people find appealing about the guy. Apart from all his character problems I just don't like the gung ho way he plays the game.

I would hazard a guess Super that the "gung ho way he plays the game" is EXACTLY what some find appealing to watch. Like I've said before I'm neutral on his personality, couldn't care less really. I detest the way the media fawn over him and obsess about him but I can't help being drawn to watch him when he's in contention.

raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Do you all feel the same about other gung ho players like Quiros, Garrigus, Johnson, Watson etc, or would you admit to a bit of glory hunting?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:19 pm

super_realist wrote:Do you all feel the same about other gung ho players like Quiros, Garrigus, Johnson, Watson etc, or would you admit to a bit of glory hunting?

Yep - love watching Bubba Watson etc. If you weren't able to enjoy the way Woods won some of his majors with wild driving but sublime recovery shots then you have a very different perspective indeed. Professional golf exists as entertainment, these guys get paid to entertain. I hated it when Zach Johnson won the Masters with his boring conservative strategy. Golf is all about risk and reward: I like watching golfers who can mix up both attacking and defensive golf.
raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:23 pm

Ray, I just don't enjoy watching "lampard" type golf, hit it as hard as you can from as far away as possible and hope it goes where you want it.

Not too skillful in my book.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:46 pm

No end product from the others , clearly Woods game does and at his best he is very good in all depts.
Mickleson is far more gung ho than Woods, he couldn't win an Open using a 3 wood stinger, why don't you try slating him for a change?

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 pm

Diggers, I'm happy to slate him, however regard the title of the thread.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 pm

You don't mind changing any other thread to have a go at Woods so why baulk at using this one to criticise Mickleson ?

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:03 am

s_r's constant criticism of TW is unbelievably boring and, IMO, unjust. The record will never change so the best way to counter it, no matter the level of provocation, is to ignore s_r's comments on Woods.

It's certainly not to criticise another wonderful player (even if I understand the point you're making, diggers).
Mercurio
Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:05 am

Where have I baulked at Mickelson? If he's a gung ho player who is terrible off the tee then add him to the list. It wasn't supposed to be a protectionist or exhaustive list.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:07 am

Yes, worth saying I love watching Phil, from both Wiods and Mickleson you get banger golf and sublime skill as well.
Super I know you like guys who plot there way around but it's hardly Woods fault that he can play certain courses in a way that makes it easier for him due to his physical gifts.
Rory gives it a massive smash as well, is he dull to watch ?

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:12 am

Diggers, McIlroy has A) A lovely swing to watch and B) Knows where it is going more often than not (certainly in the last 9 months) even if he as a person is becoming increasingly annoying, I can at least appreciate his golf as being largely an aesthetically pleasing thing to watch.

What I don't like to watch is people who just "hope" that it goes where they want, which is where I'd consider Woods to fit in, plus his swing is ghastly to behold. Also, Woods has never been a good driver, so I find his poor body language and cursing ridiculous when it's more the norm for him to hit a bad shot, I'd actually prefer to see him show a bit of surprise rather than expectation when he does hit the fairway.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next