Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Politics - They Work For You

+2
LondonJonnyO
Doc
6 posters

Go down

Politics - They Work For You Empty Politics - They Work For You

Post by Doc Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:56 pm

I've been watching a very good series on BBC4 called Borgon, which is a Danish drama about their political system, which is obviously based upon our system. Unlike our system and common in most democracies, the government is made up of different political parties in coalition (Which we're now doing) Looking forward to series 2 later this year.

This series got me thinking about goverments and how we elect them, and how they should be working for us. The West Wing was probably the best political tv series, but Borgon is close, but the overiding theme in both these series and what we see daily, is the role 'spin' plays. The impression I take is that almost 80% of government time is spent trying to counter potential problems within the cabinet, own party and cleaning up problems caused by individual ministers. The job of actually running a country seems to take a back seat because the PM/President needs to be seen in the media saying or doing something that will give a comfort factor. Even in-fighting within political parties takes priority when one mouthy member with his own agenda speaks out of turn. He/she needs to be appeased to keep the party 'on message', therefore someone else takes a fall.

Yes I know tv dramas are meant to be dramatic etc, but comparing the 2 series mentioned to what we see daily, I see little difference. Of late, even though the country is on its uppers, the priority is to speak out on bonuses, having enough salt for the roads, cleaning up the press and mobile hacking, the Defence Secretary and his mate on trips, getting involved in Scottish nationalism, having cabinet meetings at the olympic park,telling us NHS reforms are good when 90% of those who know say otherwise, telling us front-line policing is better now, even though there are thousands less officers, etc, etc, etc. In my opinion government policy is driven by the media on a day by day basis, and depends what subject is in vogue at the time.

I would love for the PM and government that were elected, to go out and do what we gave them a mandate to do, instead of spending most of their time firefighting or putting a spin on problems. How much government time was lost in 'proving that weapons of mass destruction were in Iraq' as an example. How much government time was wasted on vilifying a civil servant on passport and border checks recently, and many many more things like that every day. No wonder nothing ever seems to get done, because polticians react to a daily agenda, instead of just getting on with their jobs.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Politics - They Work For You Empty Re: Politics - They Work For You

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Dissident
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Doc
I had 20 years working in Local Authority. The other aspect of political work that is generally 'unseen' is the job creation aspect of trying to control staff.

I used to run golf courses and other outside activities. I had up to £1.5m spending budget but if I wanted to place and advert I had to seek approval of the person who had a job checking that all the well paid managers were not putting something in the paper that would reflect badly on the Council.

Yes Minister and The Brittas Empire were an art form of the truth.
To this day I believe The Britas Empire was based on a manager that I knew.
The episode were two businessmen go for a quick lunchtime swim and Brittas spends 20 minutes explaining to them the swimming pool pricing policy was wonderful.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Did you know Mac is a researcher for Tommy Sheridan?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:51 pm

super_realist wrote:Did you know Mac is a researcher for Tommy Sheridan?

The only thing about Sheridan I liked, was his dirty looking wife Smile Wonder if mac had to research lap dancing bars and brothels for him. Can't see it as I think Mac would have just called a friend Cool
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:23 am

Does Sheridan's wifee wear the big Jackie O sunglasses to hide her laughter lines or to protect her from the dazzle of the West of Scotland sun.

Funny how all those ultra lefties get stuffed.
I hear Degsy is a property developer now, wonder what the common people of Liverpool think of that.
Doon the Water
Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by diggers Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:04 am

The problem with this Governement is that it didn't get a mandate. Its a cobbled together marriage of inconvenience which will bring no good to anybody.

diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:34 am

Doc wrote:
super_realist wrote:Did you know Mac is a researcher for Tommy Sheridan?

The only thing about Sheridan I liked, was his dirty looking wife Smile Wonder if mac had to research lap dancing bars and brothels for him. Can't see it as I think Mac would have just called a friend Cool

Great minds and all that........ His wife Wink

I would think Mac would have to ask a grown up to go look for him, unless the ladies are dressed as underage wizards.......

To be fair to the government they had no real mandate laid out in front of them, were picking up from where the last bunch of clowns left off, and whilst they please some they'll not please others. Such is life in politics.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down