Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom Fitting

+3
BlueCoverman
Doc
Maverick
7 posters

Go down

Custom Fitting Empty Custom Fitting

Post by Maverick Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Thought I'd bring this subject back to the fore so to speak. Reason being as most who read the "tell us about your game today" thread will know my Adams F11 Speedline driver shaft snapped on me when playing a tee shot at my 13th hole this week. Something I was highly annoyed and disappointed at all at once. I had only purchased the driver and 3wood last month after a long time coveting them.

I have been offered straight like for like replacement by both Adams and Direct golf where I purchased it, but have to say whether it be freakish that I bought a one off dodgy one or whether the build quality was crap we'll never know. I'd prefer to think it was the freakish one off as my Adams wedges are impeccably built.

However I've digressed enough back to the main point, as a result of the above I've looked about and decided the taste has left a sour tang to it. Having not been impressed with much of what's out there at the moment driver wise I've decided to try something different and go with a brand I never use and that's Ping!

Today (as I type this on my phone actually) I'm enroute to Pings main UK fitting centre in Lincolnshire and am going to have a full fit done on a driver and 3 wood (may even throw a hybrid into it). Going to go with what they tell me and put my trust in them so who knows I could end up with a G20, or the new I20 (the i20 not yet available to buy but is for fitting at their centre so they tell me).

Whenever I buy new gear I always go for custom fit but never had it done directly at the manufacturers fitting centre. So wondered what experiences you guys/gals/and confused ones have had of manufacturer direct fitting or if anyone has experience of PING's fitting centre.

Have to say having spent some considerable time on their t'interweb site last night am looking forward to it and to seeing how good their nFlight software aids fitting.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Custom Fitting Empty Re: Custom Fitting

Post by Doc Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Good luck Mav, and you know my feelings about the benefits of getting clubs properly custom fitted. As for Ping, there's 2 trains of thought. Firstly there are plenty of club shops who do a version of it with some very dodgy results, and also on-line fitting again with some dodgy results. Secondly there's the proper Ping centre where you're heading today, who actually do it properly and usually get great results. My brother-in-law has been doing plenty of research into fitting, and has opted to do a deal with Ping at the same plce as you. He's getting himself sorted, his wife and also his son on the same day. (At least he's getting a nice pension package, hence treating himself and family) Proper Ping fitting only seems to get good results, so good luck.

My latest foray into fitting was with Nick Hibbs, as you know, and I'm back with him on Thursday as I'm having a couple of issues. The Cleveland Driver is blisteringly good and I love it, but really struggling with the 3-wood off the deck. I'm also struggling to get the Adams hybrids away. The Miura CB 501's are a stunning iron, but I'm not doing them justice, so we're having a look at the lofts, but the Yonex wedges are fantastic and wouldn't swap them for the world. Nick's actually bringing in Adrian Hill to check me out and make a couple of tweaks to my swing, so will be back on TrackMan getting sorted.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Cheers Doc:

As I said I've never been a Ping man before always thought them a little ugly but having looked at the indepth analysis of their fitting process at the main centre in Lincolshire I thought hell why not as its better to have a 100% exact fit with a club that gives the results you want than to fawn over its looks!

Not to far away now I'm booked in for an 11am fitting interview followed up by the actual fitting process, aiming to be in lincolshire for 945 so a quick bit of brekkie after long tip then its on the Ping range and in their hands!

Good luck with your fitting have enjoyed following your progress keep me posted on how it goes
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Mav...I would be extremely interested to hear how you get on today.

I play Ping clubs - currently the i15's - and was not particularly impressed with the custom fit advice that I received from the club shop.

The post from Doc seems to confirm what I was thinking...It may be beneficial to take a day off work and make a trip to the Ping main UK fitting centre in Lincolnshire to get custom fitted properly. Look forward to reading about your experience today. Cheers
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:49 pm

BC One of the standard issues with getting Ping fitted at the club, or on-line, is you are given a blue, red, black etc, etc set-up, which doesn't work for all the clubs. (In some cases) The fitting centre do it so that you could end up with different shaft/set-up spread through your set so that each club works to the optimum
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Had a Ping fitting in a shop once. One word- Rubbish.

You need to hit balls in outdoor situations on a trackman/doppler to get the true benefit of custom fit you need to be hitting as close to the real thing as possible, so getting to a fitting centre like Gainsborough like Mav is doing is crucial.

Can't see much point in "online" fitting.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:11 am

I took delivery of my new clubs last weekend after a full 2 hour custom fitting session. I stayed away from the mainstream manufacturers, not because I don't like them but because I wanted to go to a proper clubmaker/fitter who could give me independant advice. I also get proper after sales service from him as well, I can go back anytime to have the clubs adjusted as required.

I also have the benefit of having an unusual bespoke set of clubs, not likely to see too many of them in other peoples' bags Laughing

Good luck Mav, let us know what you get and how you get on with it Cross Fingers

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:02 am

How are you getting on with the Orka's D4S
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:08 am

Well on the long road home now question is was the distance travelled worth the petrol because it was a lot of petrol!

The answer is an empathic YES.

Not like the usual run of the mill fittings you get at clubs or in mainstream shops this was far more indepth and very professional

Quick run through of how the fitting went:

Began with a fitting interview, spent 40mins just discussing my game, what I look for in a club, my style of play, my natural shot type and more importantly what do I want to achieve and how can I get to where I want to be. Everything I said was noted down and recapped back to me at the end.we didn't just discuss drivers and distances etc, he asked if while I was there I fancied a full fitting even if I didn't want to buy pings just to make sure I knew exactly what suited me. I thought why not so we discussed everything and every club including the putter!

Next up was measurements, took my height, wrist to floor, measured my hand size and size of middle finger. All for a rough idea of where to start.

After the measuring stage I wasn't told what would be the best grip to have on the clubs according to the measurements but instead asked to pick up a few and feel what I thought was best. I chose the Aqua colour saying it felt most comfy in my hands and then the fitter showed me what he'd input onto his system and what he had designated prior to asking me to pick for myself, the result he had down for me was "Aqua"...... So good start there.

Before I began to try out drivers he informed me of the optimum launch and spin angles he would look out for which were 14degrees launch angle and between 2250 and 2750 for spin rate.

Went through dozens of shafts, clubs head and types before we narrowed it down with the nLaunch system they have which is if not at least on par with trackman maybe even slightly ahead of it!

Finally settled on 2 heads (quickly rules out G15,K15 and i15) settled with i20 and G20, worked on vary lofts, with shafts and came to some exceptional results and worked out the best driver for me getting a launch angle consistently of 14.1degrees and spin rate of 2273. (Will divulge what we settle on at end of this post)

Repeated the whole process again with 3 wood ( again it came down to the G20 and I20 models). So to the hybrid fitting and again repeated it all over again! There was only 1 model winning this battle!

Ended up going right through the bag all the way down to the putter! Even compared my own irons to that I was coming out as ideal for on the nLaunch monitors have to say I was 1/2 a club longer and better dispertion rates than my own!

I was in there for a total of 4hours, was provided lunch and never treated like I was taking to long or just having them on....

The results of fitting were:

Driver: G20 - 8degree - Serano Stiff Shaft
3Wood: G20- 14degree -TFC stiff shaft
Hybrid: I20 - TFC Stiff shaft - Blue Spot lie
Irons - Anser Forged - Tournament lofts - Blue spot
Wedges - Anser Forged - Blue spot
Putter - Was told stick with what I have as its an ideal match

( I know I've gone on but bear with me here!)

I was so impressed with not only the fitting but the looks at address of the clubs I'm going nearly all in I've ordered the irons for delivery in a weeks time and am driving home with a driver and 3wood in my boot!.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:55 am

Mav

I tried the G20 with the TFC tour shaft on a launch monitor in the States last year, was very impressed with the shaft for a standard issue one. As we all know, most stock shafts are pretty pants as they try for a 'one size fits all' approach but it felt good and went well too. So I bought a Callaway driver instead Innocent

Doc, still very much settling in with the Orkas, played once on the course and a couple of trips to the range this week but first impressions are very much favourable. I went for full blades 3-PW in the end and not having had blades for a while, have to say they are much easier to hit nowadays. They are so good looking that I even bought a set of covers for them so they don't get bag clatter marks Laughing Did you have a look at Orka when you got your Muiras?

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by gwr-golfer Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:54 am

Great choice Mav....

I posted last March about my experience at the Ping centre. Got a mixed response from you guys on the forum

I went with Anser irons, i15 3-wood, i15-hybrid and a new putter

Fantastic experience, they spent a lot of time with me making sure I got exactly what was the best for me.

After receiving them I spent a couple of months getting used to them (stiff shaft rather than the regular I was used to). When the Answr wedges came out - I waited 4 months for them... but worth the wait, they are stunning.... arrived 2 months ago - although these were fitted by my local Pro who knows my swing intimately.

As an aside - I had 2 problems with irons them since I bought them:

1.... 5 days before my club championship the 6-iron had a fault... they replaced it within 3 days.

2.... I had a problem with 2 of the irons -- replaced, no quibble, within a week.

I am now on my 5th set of pings - and they are easily the best manufacturer to deal with & the fitting centre just want to make sure you get what suits you... they are NOT salesmen/saleswomen.

Welcome to the club Mav - you will enjoy them... I promise Smile

gwr-golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:33 am

D4S: I too was hugely impressed with the TFC Tour shaft and how responsive it was. The stiff suited me perfectly well for the 3 Wood but was not quite strong enough for Driver, but the Serano was spot on but again another shaft I'd never considered before.

That's said I've never before even thought about Ping equipment other than the putters, had always seen it as a brand I could never imagine playing due to there looks and associating them in a different level to the clubs I usually play!

How wrong I was and happy to have my eyes opened! I never went with the intenion of new irons at all! In fact my Cobra Pro's are so good I never thought to betray them or replace them but the results were so good I just couldn't say no! Also to say how impressive I found the look on the Anser's is a credit to where Ping are now compared to the hideous looking Zing 2's and ISI's.

GWR: thanks for the reply mate and I'm very happy with how things went I remember you posting about your fitting and buying the Ansers and allow me to apologise for not responding like I said I never really gave much thought to Pings so didn't respond to your post, but having been to Ping and got more than I could have hoped for I'm now with you.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Very interesting mav, be interested to hear how you get on on the course with them. Keep us updated because after experiencing bad build quality with ping before I'd crossed them off my list. May be worth another look now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:38 am

Thanks for your report Mav, very informative. Like S_R I would be very interested to hear how you get on with the new clubs on the golf course.
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:52 am

Hi Mav,
Checked out some reviews on the Anser irons now in your bag. Were you going for this particular design in your irons and have you mostly hit blades for the past decade or so?
venice1
venice1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:15 am

SR/Blue:

Still awaiting the delivery of the irons, but today have used the driver and 3wood in the 2nd round winter 4bbb matchplay. All i can say is results from 1st use were exceptional, easily gained an average today of 15yards on my drives with a superb flight the best thing i found was on the 14th i made what was a pretty poor swing didnt clear properly at impact so was a definite off centre hit where usualy this would put me in the right hand rough at best or more likely the trees!! I was actually on the right half of the fairway no more than 10 yards off centre and only 10yards back of where id expect to be.

3 Wood again fantastic. I use a 3wood a lot off the tee for position and 2 examples today i used it at our short 10th (a driveable par 4) where a 3 wood would usually leave me 10yards short off the plates with a straight forward chip, today i found mywlf 8 feet short of the hole on the putting surface. Then on 1wth used again from the tee where id usually hit a cut for position instead went over the corner with the 3wood and cleared all the gash and found myself within 40yards of the putting surface. Same results from the deck excellent flight and and great stopping distance when landing on putting surface.

Taking them back out tomorrow at a friends course playing in their Pro's annual invitational event where the pro supplies all the prizes free and they will get a big use.

Venice, ive always been a blade or muscle back player, the set in my back are Cobra Pro-MB's so the Anser are a step across for me not a plummet into the unknown and am eagerly looking forward to using them.
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:30 am

"Doc, still very much settling in with the Orkas, played once on the course and a couple of trips to the range this week but first impressions are very much favourable. I went for full blades 3-PW in the end and not having had blades for a while, have to say they are much easier to hit nowadays. They are so good looking that I even bought a set of covers for them so they don't get bag clatter marks Laughing Did you have a look at Orka when you got your Muiras?"

D4S I looked at and tried almost everything on the market, with varying degrees of success. The only Orkas I've seen though were on their web-site, and the blades look stunning. I did try some blades that gave me the horn and were similar to the Orka's 'Yonex Ezone Blades' absolutley stunning looker, but I struggled with them being a blade. Really wanted them but if I wasn't hitting them well, seemed pointless so went for the Miura's as I loved the look and feel, as well as being able to hit them. Really struggled with them until Saturday when it all seemed to click and managed to hit every iron perfectly off the 'sweet spot', which was incredible.
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 am

Doc

Hopefully at some point this year, we'll get together for a meet up and you are very welcome to have a hit with the Orkas. The first comment from everyone that has pulled one out of my bag is how good they look.
I googled the ezone blade, they also look very nice but I've not been able to track one down in the flesh. The cavity backs are serious money so I expect the blade version is even more so Sad

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:04 am

Just looked at the eZone blades I swear a little bit of sex wee came out they are smokin!!!

Still can't wait for the Ansers I get to pick them up Friday!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Just had a call from Ping, must say their service has impressed me. They've said my Irons will be ready for me first thing Friday morning and have even booked me a session with a registered Ping fitter (the only one that have in kent trained by them and trained with the nLaunch software) the reason they've done this is they said "we have fitted these clubs to your specifics and made them to measure, so we want to ensure they have not altered in transit on Pings official nLaunch system"

So 10am Friday off to get them and check them, then it'll be straight out to play
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Does tha mean you 'll be sending your Cobra's for me?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Sadly not SR will never part with them even just to look at them
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:10 pm

I think when my Snake Eyes blades require renewing I'll be looking at those Yonex. Lovely.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm back on TrackMan with my bloke tomorrow afternoon, to sort out the hybrid and 3-wood problem I'm having. Irons worked like a dream last weekend, so not much to do now ...... I hope
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Mav, have you tested the Adams Fast 12 driver? It looks bizarre, but quite interesting. I know you had a problem with the shaft though of another Adams.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:54 pm

super_realist wrote:Mav, have you tested the Adams Fast 12 driver? It looks bizarre, but quite interesting. I know you had a problem with the shaft though of another Adams.

No its about one of the only things I haven't tested, but have been put off with the shaft issue so am going firmly with the G20's since the fitting they give me the feeling like I can't miss.

Anywhooo...... Just finished a nice fruit salad breakfast and am about to set off and collect my New Anser Forged irons for post delivery fit to ensure they are as ordered then its a round of golf at the course I'm collecting them from (West Malling- probably play the spitfire course) am so excited I now know how Mac feels when the early morning school run passes his house!
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Maverick wrote:
super_realist wrote:Mav, have you tested the Adams Fast 12 driver? It looks bizarre, but quite interesting. I know you had a problem with the shaft though of another Adams.

No its about one of the only things I haven't tested, but have been put off with the shaft issue so am going firmly with the G20's since the fitting they give me the feeling like I can't miss.

Anywhooo...... Just finished a nice fruit salad breakfast and am about to set off and collect my New Anser Forged irons for post delivery fit to ensure they are as ordered then its a round of golf at the course I'm collecting them from (West Malling- probably play the spitfire course) am so excited I now know how Mac feels when the early morning school run passes his house!

Custom Fitting 3497602689 If only he'd come over here.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 pm

T'is a shame hopefully you can pass that quip on for me....

early signs are good im on the fitting range and they look so shiny
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by gwr-golfer Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Maverick wrote:T'is a shame hopefully you can pass that quip on for me....

early signs are good im on the fitting range and they look so shiny

Now all you need is a Ping Hat, Belt, Winter Mitts, Shirt, Bag, Towel - it will just be like Xmas all over again santa

gwr-golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Ironically my carry bag is actually a Ping! But I've had that longer than the clubs and hardly use it as I use a tour bag on trolley.

Think I'll shy away from the all out Ping look and stick with the iZod clothing, quite partial to the Puma range as well.

Anyway early signs are very good, all irons are set up as exact specs I was fitted for, have gone through all the irons and hit a variety of shots also got some very complimentary comments from the Pro(fitter) about my swing technique and tempo. Am now going to grab a coffee and he's taking me out for a courtesy 18holes
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by gwr-golfer Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Enjoy - I have had mine 10 months now and am still loving them - although it took about 4-6 weeks for me to get used to them as M moved from regular shaft to a stiffer shaft

gwr-golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:02 am

Wow! What a difference a day at Ping makes! I now have my fully fitted Anser irons to go with the new G20 driver and 3 wood, also got the i20 hybrid (before its release date big Woop as my kids say).

Got to play 18holes on West Mallings Spitfire course today gratis with head pro and fitting expert Duncan Lambert. All I can say is the irons feel so smooth and crisp off the face, felt like I couldn't miss with the short irons and long irons just felt and were so workable. Even managed to out score mr lambert on his home course (in his defense he probably spends more time teaching than playing these days)

I'm definately in the honeymoon period as of today with the irons but that said they will see me at my lowest but it won't be their fault as they are setup 100% accurate if anything goes wrong when using them it will be the tool that's utilising them.

One last thing on the i20 hybrids! Try them seriously good penetrating flight and so workable from anywhere.

So to summarise my Custom Fit directly at the maufacturer rather than a shop fit as usual! Best golfing experience of my life when it comes to getting what you want and if anyone is going for a fitting! Don't do it with your local pro do it direct with the manufacturer for they really have every tool and knowledge of what suits you best!

P.s go to Lincolshire and visit Ping, you won't be disappointed
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down