Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commentators: the good, the bad, and the ugly

+4
LondonJonnyO
super_realist
Davie
raycastleunited
8 posters

Go down

Commentators: the good, the bad, and the ugly Empty Commentators: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Post by raycastleunited Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:43 am

Following the debate on Nick Faldo's commentary skills, I thought it would be interesting to see which commentators you guys appreciated, and which ones got on your nerves.

Me first.

I'm a fan of the 2 Waynes: Grady and Riley.
I also find Faldo's risky style interesting, even though it does result in him regularly putting his foot in his mouth.
Butch Harmon is great, although I find it slightly unsettling the way he looks into the camera.
I also like the ken on the course snippets during the Masters.

Dislike... well it could be a long list, but Torrance and Monty are up there. Feherty too. I used to love listening to Peter Alliss but sadly I think he's lost it now and retirement beckons for him.

Over to you...

raycastleunited
raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Commentators: the good, the bad, and the ugly Empty Re: Commentators: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Post by Davie Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:52 am

Ray - I tend to watch golf on TV despite the commentators, rather than because of them. There are very few I actually like, a few I tolerate but most of them are annoying

Just to carve it up a bit further, I'll split it into commentators/on course commentators, and studio analysts/anchormen

Of the commentators, the worst would have to be Roe (though he's sometimes in the studio category), Allis, Torrance, Ken Brown and Critchley and Murray. Add in pretty much any of the US commentators. Of the tolerable or good ones, I'd include Wayne Riley (not so keen on Grady), Richard Boxall and Tony Johnston(?) did a pretty good job this weekend at the African Open

Of the studio types, Roe, Livingstone, Linekar, Steve Ryder to the "bad" list. I'm indifferent to Harmon really - best ones are Denis Pugh and that other bloke (Simon someone?) who although he has a face that looks like it needs a good punching, actually talks a lot of sense. Then there is the recently departed DiDo ilu
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Commentators: the good, the bad, and the ugly Empty Re: Commentators: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Post by super_realist Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:16 am

Bob Bubka (as long as he doens't mention Woods), Rob Lee and David Howell.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:16 am

I think Peter Alliss is both bad and ugly.

And should be turned into low grade dogfood for consumption at Bushwood by Al Czervik.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:19 am

I find Julian Tutt annoying and I hate how Andrew Cotter can only say three words at a time in between deep breaths.

Other than that, basically anyone who bumlicks Woods.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:37 am

Oh. And when he was about Alex Hay should have been tied up as a counterbalance to Peter Alliss whilst they were both suspended over a pool of man-eating sharks so that they could "banter" off each other whilst being eaten from the ankles (or cankles in Alliss' case) up.

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:34 am

Like Davie doesn't matter who's commentating I'll watch but if I could pick the broadcast team it'd be:

DiDo - Something pretty
Denis Pugh - Talks common sense
Simon whatshisname! - like Pugh makes good sense and doesn't play to camera
Van De Velde/Howell - for on course they've been good when he's been on
Oosterhuis - actually one of the better ones that doesn't over play it

The ones I'd shoot without asking questions

Critchley
Cotter
Torrance
Riley
Feherty (shoot him again when he's down make sure he doesn't get up)
Miller (see above for Feherty)
Tilghman - she's just irritating
Monty
Mark James
Howard Clarke

The ones I can listen to but think they need just iron out a few things:
Allis
Grady
Faldo
Nobilo

SR's call on Bob Bubka os awesome his voice alone is worth tuning into talk sport for
Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:49 am

Mav - Peter Alliss is over 80 and must have been broadcasting the best part of 40 years. Can't see him ironing anything out this late in the day!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:21 am

I like .....

David Howell ilu
Richard Boxall
Wayne Riley
Denis Pugh
Van de Velde
Andrew Coltart
Bob Bubka

Don't mind .....

Peter Allis
Nick Faldo
Butch Harman

Dislike .....

Mark Roe
Monty
Sam Torrence
Mark James
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:40 am

Deid but revered ... Henry Longhurst

Like:

Peter Alliss ... his voice is very easy on the lugs and I enjoy his wee anecdotes

David Howell ... nice one Mary with the caveat that I'll just leave the lovely dovey stuff to you though. Wink

Wayne Riley
Tony Johnstone

Andrew Coltart ... he's given up the competitive golfing ghost so, hopefully, we'll be hearing more of him from now on.

Nick Faldo ... he's a better commentator than he is a husband!

Butch Harmon ... worth every cent although his pronounciation of the word "interesting" really, really gets on my tuts and just what is it with yon left eye? Wink

Monty ... knows his stuff although I do find his habit of repeating words or phrases until he's formulated in his mind what he wants to go on to say, a tad annoying.

Di Stewart ... ex-presenter now but still well worthy of a mention.

Now for intensely annoying ...

Salt n'Vinegar ... I know he's not doing the golf stuff now but still feel he should be named and shamed just for the assault (geddit) on my senses .

Sam Torrance .. his 'style' is most definitely not "magnificent"!

Mark Roe ... his delivery is every bit as drab as his taste in clothes!

All other american commentators!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down