Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where will you play in 2012?

5 posters

Go down

Where will you play in 2012? Empty Where will you play in 2012?

Post by oldshanker Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:37 pm

I was thinking about the New Year and golf. Apart from a trip up to Scotland in May(ish) courtesy of Bunkered magazine, I do not have anything else planned and as a nomadic golfer, this is not satisfactory.

So I thought there must be some good, reasonably local courses that I haven't played, which really I should have. The thinking cap went on and I came up with 3 local courses and 1 not so local, I will play this year, not just where I want to play, but where I will play:-

The Gog Magog
Hunstanton
Brancaster (Royal West Norfolk)
Woodhall Spa

What about your area - is there a hidden gem that you have just not got round to playing yet, but will do this year?
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Where will you play in 2012? Empty Re: Where will you play in 2012?

Post by drive4show Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:25 am

shanker

I've not played Gog Magog but played the other three on your list and can certainly recommend them all. Woodhall Spa is amongst the top 3 inland courses in the UK and Brancaster grows on you. The whole 'step back in time aura' of the place is magical, the clubhouse feels like it's not changed for a 100 years.

In my part of the world, there are 5 courses that have all been in the top 100 at one time or another (Broadstone, Parkstone, Ferndown, Remedy Oak and Isle of Purbeck) but I've played them all. I'm having to travel further and further afield to find good courses that I've not played now.

I'm hoping to play some of the top Southport links courses this year, money and time permitting!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:57 am

Yes D4S - I never cease to be amazed that for nearly all my golfing life I have been within striking distance of Woodhall Spa and yet......

Brancaster and Hunstanton worry me a bit, we have discussed this before, I question whether a brace of old links courses that are a bit too steeped in history, are worth the charges and demands they make. But, to answer that, I will have to play them.

Gog Magog is I believe an old County course that is not as good as it used to be, but there again, it really needs playing.

Then there is Ganton as well. Now there would be a leisurely two days of golf - Woodhall Spa Hotchkin, maybe stay overnight in a local hostelry, then drive up through the Wolds to Ganton. Cross Fingers
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:33 am

The courses that I plan playing again this year are:

Forest of Arden
The Warwickshire (any 1 of the 3 courses)
Ludlow

and a lot of our local courses, as we have courtesy of the course at:

Wrexham
Newcastle (under Lyme)
Barlaston
and think we have another 3 courses as well, we have courtesy of, but cant remember what they are.

oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:11 am

I would be interested in hearing about Ludlow golf course OPW. I really like the town and all of its surroundings. Was considering moving there a few (quite a few) years ago.
Hope the course lives up to the high expectations I would have!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:17 am

OPW - I hope you have a better experience at Forest of Arden than I did.

Played there a couple of years ago and perhaps in my mind it had been built up beyond reasonable expectations, but it was one of the most disappointing courses I've played.

The noise from the M42(?) was constant and the first 9 was totally forgettable. The back nine improved a bit but not much. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a cabbage patch but it fell well short of my expectations. I certainly wouldn't hurry back there. Sorry!
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:39 am

oldshanker

The golf course, winds out in of the race course, the first tee is just outside the rails of race course adjacent to the winning post.

The course is a pure gem to play, and no where in this country will you get better greens, no matter what time of the year, I would rate the greens the best I have ever played on, lighting fast with lots of suttle breaks.

Country membership is about £250 per year, and on race days the course is closed, but all members get free stand tickets to the race course.

If you are ever in Shropshire, I would rate it best course in the county, they have an open day in June, its a 36 hole comp, with a morning and afternoon winners handicap and scratch, as well as the overall comp. Played it about 7 years ago, it cost me £22 for 36 holes, soup, sandwiches and chips lunch, and a 3 course meal in the evening.

To old now to play in the open, but we have about 4/5 outings a year, its about 1hour drive for me so just to far away for membership
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:40 am

shanker

Woodhall Spa followed by Ganton would be a superb trip. I've played them both, they are the 2nd and 3rd best inland courses in the UK after the old course ar Sunningdale.

Brancaster is certainly worth the money, I'd put it ahead of Hunstanton although a lot of people would place them the other way round. Either way, both are worth the money cheers

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:47 am

Davie

Again this is a course we play about 3/4 times a year, and I thoroughly enjoy, (again its quick greens that I love) its not a course that has great views or that, but the back 9 in deer park makes it interesting,(last year we played it during the rutting seasons,) so that was I new experience, just trying to move quickly enough out of the way of the stags.

oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:53 am

OPW - respect your opinion as I've only been there once (for a 2 day trip)

It wasn't to my liking but if you go back repeatedly then it must be OK. As I said, I thought the back 9 was better though the supposed "signature hole" (the 18th?) was a silly long par 3 that took a 3 wood for me (and a driver for the older guys in our group) over a ravine that looked like it was full of shopping trolleys
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:05 am

Davie

I have played it now for over 10 years, but I can understand what you are saying, when you think this course that was part of the European Tour schedule, so your expectation of the course, could be quite high but it does appear to look like a top tour venue, but most enjoyable for me.

Last edited by oldparwin on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:30 am

Had a bit of a lazy year last year in terms of clocking up new top 100s that I hadn't played already. i.e. I think I played about 12 but only 2 were new to me. This yesr I'd like to tick off the 2 Berkshires, Royal Lytham and Royal Troon. Also fancy a pop at Southport and Ainsdale to complete the Southport set.

East Lothian is also a bit of a neglected area for me although I'm planning my 50th birthday trip (March 2013) for up there so should clock their 3 biggies then. Thinking of tagging a top course onto one or both ends of Tassie week (possibly St Andrews New or Kingsbarns).

What's happening about the proposed march get together this year, is it still likely to happen?
JAS
JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down