Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slow play (again)

+4
Mary_S
oldparwin
BlueCoverman
Davie
8 posters

Go down

Slow play (again) Empty Slow play (again)

Post by Davie Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:53 am

So Ross Fisher got docked a shot today at the Wales Open - apparently he'd had the requisite number of warnings and it was all done by the book - The match official was even reported on TV as being disappointed he HAD to make the penalty - but was it right?

We ALL seem to talk about slow play as being one of the worst things about golf, both professional and amateur and yet for Fisher to be singled out like that just left a bit of a sour taste for me when there are so many other more notable offenders

The conditions at Celtic Manor seemed to be pretty bad - the weather was coming in and out in waves and the TV coverage showed lots of changes of wet waether gear on and off - should there have been a bit more leeway given?

I really don't know what to think - I'd love to see more penalties given for slow play but Ross Fisher seemed to be dealt with a little too harshly IMO
Davie
Davie
Admin

https://golf-chat.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Slow play (again) Empty Re: Slow play (again)

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:37 am

I agree Davie, seemed pretty harsh to me as well. Fisher's body language seemed to suggest that he felt he was out of contention after that
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:48 am

I think they have to start doing something about slow play, I mean every golfer can give a good reason for being out of place on the golf course, but it is one of these things that if golfers are aware they can be added penalty strokes to their card, then they will not start looking for excuses for being slow, but will make sure they keep up with the group in front.

oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:52 am

It seems to be the way of the world that the people who regularly push the boundaries are not the ones who get punished when the crack-down is implemented.
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by faldono1fan Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Fisher was made a scapegoat in my opinion. He is not the worst culprit out there, but I can't help thinking this was a bit pre-meditated to get someone in the final few groups just to send a message. Might do good in the long run, but try telling that to Ross.
faldono1fan
faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:35 am

Yes - still think it pretty harsh though I'm glad to see it being addressed - the conditions were pretty harsh out there but I think someone decided it was time to make an example
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Wasn't Fisher struggling with a toe injury as well, the bad conditions? leeway should have been made for that surely.

I agree fully that slow play needs sorting out, but imagine there will have been better candidates this weekend for sanctions
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:45 pm

Doc - I think he was struggling with a toe injury but the point of contention seemed to be how long he took to select his shot (not time taken to get to the ball)

I'm with you though that he seemed a bit of a scapegoat
Davie
Davie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:29 am

Sorry but do not see it, as a scapegoat, I believe they had dropped almost 3 holes from the group in front, now that is slow play, was surprised that he was the only player in the group to be penalised.

Will be interesting to see if the PGA will do the same, as on their tour they have some serious slow players.
oldparwin
oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:06 am

From what I heard on the TV it was the inordinate amount of time he was taking conferring with this caddy on the tee which was causing the problem. He also appeared not to be starting to think about club selection etc until it was his turn to play despite the fact he had time while his playing partners were taking their shots. He deserved all he got. This canker must be stamped out.

When I first started playing, I was told to play "ready golf" as much as possible - think about the next shot and the club you're likely need as you walk up to the ball, always walk onto the next tee with the ball ready on a tee peg (I still do it now) ..... there is no need to rush the shots if you walk quickly between them and are thinking about what you are going to do.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR SLOW PLAY!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:31 am

Now if it had been David Howell that had been docked a shot... Wink
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm with LP
He was playing VERY slowly and the conferences with his caddy on every shot were ridiculous.

I suspect were Ross not English and were say, Ben Crane, then everyone here would be saying how good it was that some action was finally taken and how much backbone the referee had shown to have taken a stance even though the player was in contention. He could easily have bottled it

MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:56 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Now if it had been David Howell that had been docked a shot... Wink
Wouldn't have made any difference to my league score and it would have been perfectly correct - there is no excuse for slow play, especially when someone is carrying your clubs, giving you the yardage, handing you the club and cleaning it afterwards. All the pro has to do is hit the bloody thing Slow play (again) 398825057
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:07 pm

I know, I know...just a little joke LP, a poor one I agree!
BlueCoverman
BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum