Golf-Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Westy V Monty

4 posters

Go down

Westy V Monty Empty Westy V Monty

Post by Doc Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:44 pm

This is not a post to have a dig at Lee, as he's probably been one of our top players for a good 20-years. he's showed the most potential of all the up and coming kids, but sadly he has still failed to pick up a major. He's won all around the world and on every continent, and has been in the top 10 for years.

However he hasn't won a big gong and just like Monty who was top of the European order of merit year after year, never won a major. A massive weight on their shoulders I'm afraid and this monkey on their backs will mean that Lee and Monty will go down in history as 2 of the best players never to win the big one. Both had chance after chance, but always seemed to implode on day 4.

Sorry but I now believe Lee will never do it, even though he's now one of only a couple of Chubby's boys without a major, he's still Chubby's number one player.

The last 12-months have been astounding in all areas of UK sport. We saw a superb Olympics with plenty of superb performances. We've seen the Lions, Test cricket team (Ashes now almost too) Bradley wiggins and last years Tour de France, and now Froome repeating last years feat is amazing for British Cycling, Rose winning the US Open, Murray winning at Wimbledon, it was a year that just carried on giving - except with Lee
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Westy V Monty Empty Re: Westy V Monty

Post by SetupDeterminestheMotion Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:34 pm

I think yesterday was his best chance ever.

Nobody seemed to want to win it.

Lee self destructed in the thick rough & bunkers, quickly followed by Scotty.
Tigger never really showed.

Then along came Poults; who tried to win, then Lefty outshone them all.
SetupDeterminestheMotion
SetupDeterminestheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by smithersjones Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:01 am

As Iain Carter points out in his latest piece, Westwood was all over the place at Muirfield, all week. His putter, uncharacteristically, got him into contention and indeed the lead, but as soon as that went cold he got found out. He was 62nd in GIR, which tells you how well he putted and how well he did to be leading after 3 rounds. I genuinely expect his work with Foley and IBF to pay dividends at one of the majors next year. Ideally he'll come from a couple back on a Sunday - front running is so tough at majors, especially the Open.

smithersjones

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Just read this from a legend: (Gary Player)

He has to be bitterly disappointed.," he told BBC Radio 5 Live. "He was in the perfect position to win the Open, over the last five years he has been the best striker of the game from tee to green.

"I said to my family if he hits the greens and fairways he will win but he was missing greens with eight irons. He was hitting the worse shots I've ever seen him hit. It was one of those days.

"It would be eating me up alive but I am different. Maybe he is trying to get himself to relax."
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mary_S Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:21 pm

I think that Lee is a much more laid back character than Monty, so hopefully he will not be too psychologically beaten up by yet another near miss. Time is still on his side, with the over 40 brigade notching up some Majors lately. Cross Fingers 
Mary_S
Mary_S

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:49 am

Mary_S wrote:I think that Lee is a much more laid back character than Monty, so hopefully he will not be too psychologically beaten up by yet another near miss. Time is still on his side, with the over 40 brigade notching up some Majors lately. Cross Fingers 

Yes but they're all using a long illegal stick Wink 
Doc
Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down